• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mewtwo MU Thread (That Kinda Rhymes!)

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but what's the best way to DI Captain Falcon's d-throw? I seriously would like to know because his d-throw into fair (knee) just owns this MU for free almost.
I'll spend some time in the lab on this one. I only have CPUs to practice against though (Montana has no competitive scene.)

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but what's the best way to DI Captain Falcon's d-throw? I seriously would like to know because his d-throw into fair (knee) just owns this MU for free almost.

down and away smash di if possible

mix up between that and up and forward

either way you're eating a knee so just get ready to smash di up and forward if you do it well you can live at pretty decent %ages. even in melee if your di was spot on mewtwo could comfortably live to about 120% or so if it wasnt yoshi story.

StriderAaron360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlueStrider
Here's a scenario: You're at close to kill percent. You're close to the ledge on FD. Marth moves in on you at jump height. You anticipate the fair so you shield, blocking successfully. But it was spaced well. Do you....

A. teleport OOS towards the middle of FD or the ledge
B. try to anticipate a grab or an f smash with spot dodge
C. roll towards the middle of the stage
D. other

arata18

Smash Cadet
Hey Strider, I do not have a huge amount of experience with Marth as Mewtwo, but considering the circumstances it would probably be safer to just do mix ups... Both A and B can be either difficult to do (Option B) or mostly safe (Option A). A would probably be the safest as long as it is not done enough to get punished. Maybe mix in a teleport up and at an angle that way you can poke him with a well spaced Bair on the way down in attempt to turn the impending edgeguard around into your favor :)
I am no pro but not a total noob either so take what you will XD

StriderAaron360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlueStrider
Hey Strider, I do not have a huge amount of experience with Marth as Mewtwo, but considering the circumstances it would probably be safer to just do mix ups... Both A and B can be either difficult to do (Option B) or mostly safe (Option A). A would probably be the safest as long as it is not done enough to get punished. Maybe mix in a teleport up and at an angle that way you can poke him with a well spaced Bair on the way down in attempt to turn the impending edgeguard around into your favor :)
I am no pro but not a total noob either so take what you will XD
That's not a bad answer. The only thing that bothers me is that Marth's disjointed aerials can beat Mewtwo's.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
depends on when marth hits you with the fair

if he did it while rising in a sh you can punish it easily with oos up air or oos wd grab
if he did it while falling and l-canceled you cant do anything, go back to start do not collect 200, you can usually wd away safely as the l cancel lag wont let him fsmash you easily

A is a bad option because marth can easily anticipate the teleport and grab or fsmash or just keep chaining airs. if you teleport onto the edge is basically neutral.

B isnt a great option primarily because mewtwos spot dodge in pm is so much faster and has a lot less invulnerability and a marth thats spacing will tend to keep spacing so its not like he's putting himself in trouble. marth doesnt get all that much off of grabs anyway against mewtwo so he'll just want to keep zoning.

C rolling is always bad against marth

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
how do you fight squirtle?? idk if you guys talked about this yet but i feel like every move goes over squirtle -.- except dtilt that is and he usually has super armor so it means nothing!

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Squirtle seems to be a pain in the ass for all my characters, he's just so damn small & fast & just impossible to hit...

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
well im looking to learn every mu with mewtwo and be the best mewtwo. im not gonna be satisfied with winning with secondaries :p

also i have a pretty weird question. so far every character i fought "loses" to mewtwo. these characters consist of zelda, lucas, roy, peach, link, ness, bowser, DDD.. idk if there are anymore. the only ones where people said mewtwo loses was squirtle so far. idk how true that all is but apparently the lucas mewtwo one is horrible for lucas. what do you guys think?

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
For the multiple choice question my first instinct would be two WD offstage and grab the edge or if you see marth doing weird shenanigans, you could rise back onstage with DJ uair. Im curious, i have a friend who plays marth a little bit, but not enough that i could be certain: Is being on the ledge vs a talented marth a bad thing? The other option I was considering based on the scenario in my head would be to WD in and shield again, hopefully marth then puts a poorly spaced aerial on your shield and you can Jump OOS bair/nair. Now that I think about it though, will marth have enough time to pivot grab, before mewtwo could act again? I dunno. An interesting question.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Unfortunately I think Lucas is an uphill battle for Mewtwo. Although Mewtwo can capitalize off of making contact with Lucas, he has an incredibly difficult time approaching. Lucas is a character that enjoys a plethora of approach options while simultaneously being able to respond defensively. His mobility is off the charts, his spacing game rewards tipping, and his grab range is superb. Additionally, Lucas is one of the best vertical killers in the game, which makes Mewtwo's life as a floaty very difficult. I personally think this is one of Mewtwo's worst matchups. However, I cold be wrong, and I look forward to hearing what others think about this MU.

StriderAaron360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlueStrider
What do you guys think about Mewtwo vs. Diddy? I haven't fought a good Diddy yet, but I know his ground game is better than Mewtwo's. Bananas prevent the usual WD into D tilt, shadow ball approaches, and can even control your use of teleport by placing the bananas at the right spots on the stage. On the other hand, Mewtwo moves have more priority (u tilt and u air would work wonders on Diddy), he can snuff the highly predictable rocket barrel recovery with properly spaced D smash or F smash, and I'm not entirely sure, but I think Confusion can give you ownership of a thrown banana. Thoughts on the MU?

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
well against diddy if you wavedash you should just pick up the banana so it shouldnt control teleporting. idk tho i havent faced a diddy.

although i have had MUCH success on the squirtle mu lately. ive found that most of my problems came from his side b. well if you shield and make sure his side b hits your back you can actually grab him out of it. also i noticed bubble was giving me trouble. you can actually tech the slip pretty late after it hits and when you're sitting. i gotta say grab and juggling are like the best things in this mu. if theyre just shell shifting while not using side b then as long as you dont do something to leave yourself open you should be fine. even teleporting in to nair works for me. also float canceled fair works wonders for me too. gets him in the air for juggling and im pretty sure it goes through his super armor as well

SSB_Hello

Smash Apprentice
lurking in these threads.

stopped in here to say that squirtle vs mewto is the most boring match ever

I'll elaborate but it's boring because it's just a bunch of spacing until one of them ****s up. even then squirtle still has the favor.

i'd offer advice but what worked for a friend of mine was using down tilt to **** up the approach.
love,
a squirtle

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Argh. I hate Marth with a burning passion.

Lots and lots of shadowballs are going to be key. You also have to bait out his laggier moves. You have to punish him whenever he throws out a nair, fsmash, or dair. A great way to punish marth is to grab him.

In addition to baiting, You need to exploit his weaknesses. Marth has a poor oos game, really bad recovery, and a poor aerial defense. That means you need to pressure his shield with moves like nair and force him to commit to something, usually a roll or a grab. Then you need to capitalize with either a grab or a fair. Being underneath Marth should always be your goal, as he cannot do much until you match his height. Utilt, uthrow, bthrow, uair and fair are all excellent at doing this.

My game plan when playing against Marth, almost regardless of who I play, is to bait him into committing, grab him, throw him up in the air, and juggle him until I manage to get him offstage. The way I bait him is often just running and retreating with a wavedash. I also like to pressure the back of his shield to try and force him to roll so I can grab him. Edgeguarding Marth is a little different than normal for me, as I mostly play Sonic. While Sonic can just run off the stage and spring Marth, Mewtwo has to work a little harder. Using float to bair him while he is suing his dancing blade is a classic. Another way to edgeguard him is to hang on the edge, and then roll when he uses dolphin, forcing him to land onstage. While fsmash usually takes too long to startup, it can work if you know you forced him into a position where he has to land on the stage. Since fthrow is better than it was, you can grab him, fthrow him, and use the bair edgeguard to finish him off.

Hopefully that helps. I get to play against a lot of Marths, so this is what I've learned. Maybe someone else can chime in and offer some more in depth advice.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
I actually like fighting Marths. I just love the MU.

Nguz is right. When Marth is above you, you should be wrecking him. Mewtwo is a beast when his opponent is above him because of U-air's & Utilt's crazy range. And Marth is *** above his opponent so of course you always want to capitalize there. Just watch out for the dair from Marth, he might throw it out if he's getting juggled pretty bad.

In the neutral Mewtwo should be throwing shadow balls, hovering around until you can effectively make an approach or you can just zone and make Marth come to you. The second option is probably the best one. Teleporting around Marth and using shadow ball out of teleport makes it even harder for him to close in on you if he's trying to stop your zoning. If he does eventually break your zoning jabs & dtilts are pretty much your fastest options to hit him before he hits you, HC Fair/Uair are both pretty fast as well. And watch for bad spacing from the Marth a shield grab can net you a quick 30-50% if you capitalize effectively.

When Marth is offstage, that is where you want to get aggressive. You should be trying to gimp a Marth everytime he goes offstage, with your great edgeguard and his fairly predictable recovery you have a complete advantage over him in this area. One bair/dair can easily take a stock from a Marth offstage, you will just have to watch for his recovery mixups, of which he doesn't have many. If you are dominating the ledge vs a recovering Marth you are probably going to win the match. Imo this is the most important aspect of the MU for Mewtwo.

You also can space Marth out. I wouldn't rely on it more than shadow balling him but it's possible and effective when done correctly. Your Ftilt outranges everything from him besides maybe his Fsmash. And your Fsmash has more range than his does. Ftilt can be used simply to knock Marth back a bit while you go back to zoning. I wouldn't try to challenge his CC game too often because his dtilt will beat yours if he CCs.

In my experience:

-Shadow Ball Zoning
-Closing Edgeguards
-Juggling
-Spacing

If you are performing well in those areas you are winning the match.

ss118

Smash Master
Here's a question: how often are you guys using side B in general? Initially I never used it and then I spammed it for a bit and now I have a balance between what would be mewtwo's normal grab and using his side b, which I treat as an extended grab range(that can be using in the air sparingly). The windboxes are actually really nice when your opponent is just outside the range of it, and I've had situations such as it pushing marth back from what would have been tipper fair range and during his lag giving me a down tilt(with no follow up usually).

2chilled basically pegged the mewtwo vs marth match up. Mewtwo actually has a projectile but marth has a better spacing game at his tipper distances, and it's pretty even up close with a bit in mewtwo's favor imo. The trick is who gets the other one above them... and I think marth is more juggleable in those instances since mewtwo can use clever uses of his up b to get to the ground.

Remember mewtwo has a good rolldodge and that marth doesn't have the easiest time punishing them without a hard read. Just don't roll INTO him.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
I don't use it very often but I usually throw it out when I get my opponent stuck in his shield. I will sometimes throw it out after a tech in-place read, but I feel that using disable in that situation could be better. Really depends on what character you're up against. & yeah the windboxes are very helpful at times.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I've actually used SideB effectively a few times while juggling. If I'm chasing into the air and I've used Teleport and my jump/hover, I've been able to use the SideB to give myself just that slight horizontal push and hold myself up in the air for just a second longer to catch them while they're still in hitstun and DI'ing away. Very situational, but the situations do exist, you have to react well. The reason it works is because it reaches much further in front of Mewtwo than his Fair does AND it stalls him while airborne. It's slower, but it can reach far enough to get 'em when timing and spacing is tight.

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
This may be a bit premature, but this is the general matchup thread for Mewtwo.
If you have any thoughts, tips, or questions specifically relating to Mewtwo vs. [character], bring it here!
Btw, you need to keep updating the first post in order for this thread to succeed in what it's trying to do. Right now people are just posting things and any useful information could be easily overlooked.

My suggestion, keep checking back and reading the comments every so often and updating the first page based on some of the comments you see and any useful outside information that you have gathered. Use spoiler tags to make things look cleaner and links are always good. You could also try talking to competitive or professional players and getting their opinions as well.

The topic is pretty straight forward but the first page needs to be updated at least once a week and should be where you find the bulk of the of what you need to know.

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
How do you guys deal with the Falco MU? Specifically, I'm talking about dealing with Lasers controlling the stage.
One of my worst MU's atm. You need to powershield his lasers, thankfully Mewtwo's shield is great at doing the job. You do that and you should have a lot less trouble dealing with his stage control.

ss118

Smash Master
There's an ideal float height that is used by Peach players to get by Falco's laser game. I would suggest looking into that and using similar float heights to get by them and using bair to poke him down.

StriderAaron360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlueStrider
While we're talking about projectile camping, no one does it better than the Links. What's the best way to get past the storm of boomerangs, arrows, and bombs?

2 C H i L L E D

Eternal Hitstun
3DS FC
3956-0619-2163
While we're talking about projectile camping, no one does it better than the Links. What's the best way to get past the storm of boomerangs, arrows, and bombs?
Nair cancels out all of their projectiles (if you nair a bomb it won't explode but it will still be active). Mewtwo should not be getting camped by a Link. Teleporting intelligently allows you to close the distance between you and link and after you teleport you can still nair if he tries to retreat and boomerang you. MU is easily in Mewtwo's favor because of this. Link either has to approach you or you can chase him down.

Vale

Smash Ace
Against Link, remember that he can walk forward and his shield will block Shadowball. A non-charged short-hop one will hit his head instead of his shield, and charged ones can still get to him if he's running at you or in the middle of another animation.

OMJesus

Smash Rookie
Sheik is going to be a pain for Mewtwo. Our hurtbox is large, meaning needles and "slaps" are easy for Sheik to land. Her tilts are another problem because they setup for as many tilts and aerials as Sheik pleases.

BUT our tilts can combo into themselves too! I've noticed utilt>dtilt>utilt>? (? Meaning anything).

Sheik's down throw has been nerfed, but ours is a tech-chasing tool. We have many options if we grab.

1)Tech-Chase (Dthrow)
2)Bthrow>bair for Edgeguarding
3)Uthrow as a last resort kill option
4)Fthrow for damage.

*Fthrow does not help combo. Fthrow is a "Back the freak up" throw. If they are on a decent percentage we can fthrow>charge shadow ball.

RECOVERING
[Disadvantages]
•Sheik can easily land fair
•Sheik can quickly grab the edge
•Sheik can needle
[Advantages]
•We can use our second jump> bair to stall for a moment
•Nair can wreck
•We can teleport onstage if the sheik tries to grab the ledge... QUICK POSITION CHANGE!

OMJesus

Smash Rookie
There is no "Best Way". When facing a camper, it's whatever works.

Although you can use teleport to progress yourself...

"Where will he go if I get close?"
-> Pay attention, and observe.

"Should I teleport from Point A to Point B?"
->If the situation requires you to reset the positioning or force the camper to throw something then yes.

"What can this character do up close?"
-> 9 times out of 10, nothing.

"Where should I throw them?"
-> If the character sucks offstage throw them to their death and abuse mewtwo's long reaching bair.

D

Deleted member

I think the best approach to take with a thread like this is to organize the OP so that each character matchup is charted out as we discuss them. In fact, I'd say to change the OP of this thread to represent a source of info on what we know so far in terms of winning and losing Matchups as we discuss them.

In terms of what to post here in general, we decide what matchup needs discussed, then make a export thread of the character being reviewed and link the other character boards to it so they can chime in with their thoughts. That's how a lot of the Brawl character boards ran their Matchup centers.

Vale

Smash Ace
I played a few tournament sets against a friend of mine that mains Mario yesterday. I found Confusion to be really helpful, but I think this was because he was approaching predictably and at a wrong able (I was able reflect fireballs and hit him with the Confusion multiple times).
Something interesting that I noticed was that the cape wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I shot some fully charged shadow balls during neutral and was able to use Confusion after his cape to send it back again and kill him. Can somebody yell at me and tell me why this is bad so I stop doing it?

EDIT: oh, and what way should I be DIing his combos (throws into some nairs and uairs, if I remember the matches the correctly)? I was mostly just going random directions to try and mix it up. I also tried using Nair to hit him when he tried to continue the combo, but hitstun obviously prevented that.

Last edited:

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
theres 2 mus i feel i would have trouble with if they came around. toon link and ivy.. any tips on these guys? unless theyve already been talked about? :x

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
Here's a scenario: You're at close to kill percent. You're close to the ledge on FD. Marth moves in on you at jump height. You anticipate the fair so you shield, blocking successfully. But it was spaced well. Do you....

A. teleport OOS towards the middle of FD or the ledge
B. try to anticipate a grab or an f smash with spot dodge
C. roll towards the middle of the stage
D. other
D. Wavedash back unto the ledge for teleport tricks and more mix-ups.

E is the safest, and probably your primary go-to option. But you can mix up between D, A, and C. A and C are usually not great because of Marth's range and his dash game.

If you are confident that Marth is going to fsmash, and depending on your distance from the ledge (where it won't knock you off the ledge) and the size of your shield, you may want to block, then wavedash in, and punish Marth hard. I believe this is the best option. (In match-ups where you find yourself in the corner as Mewtwo where the opponent is safely pressuring your shield (like Falcon Knee into Jab into Knee or Marth dtilt, although the latter may hit your as you're tumbling if they're close enough), you can always light-shield safely into the ledge. You'll have to wait for light-shielding to be in PM before you have that option though.)

Is being on the ledge vs a talented marth a bad thing?
I'm inclined to say yes. Marth can usually safely space your ledge options. He can dtilt at a distance where if you stop teleporting or try to wavedash onto the stage, he may hit you. And if you try teleporting behind him, he may just fsmash or dash into grab since he doesn't have to compromise positioning to pressure your ledge-stall. In Melee, you could try using confusion (some hard estimated footsies may be needed) from the ledge on an unsuspecting Marth, but if the Marth catches up to your game, they can dash away and back in safely or maybe even go for a punish on hit depending on the size of their nuts. That's not even an option in PM anymore though.

A Marth that isn't careful about the different cues of airdodging and teleport may be effectively mixed up by air dodging onto the stage rather than teleporting and fishing out Marth's usual reactions to teleport.

Mewtwo's ability to attack after teleport somewhat alleviates this though, since you can now teleport and bair, nair, or fair depending on your positioning, which gives Mewtwo more options.

You can also try shooting a charged shadowball at him from the ledge if you have good timing (you don't want the Marth to hit you out of it).

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
I actually like fighting Marths. I just love the MU.

Nguz is right. When Marth is above you, you should be wrecking him. Mewtwo is a beast when his opponent is above him because of U-air's & Utilt's crazy range. And Marth is *** above his opponent so of course you always want to capitalize there. Just watch out for the dair from Marth, he might throw it out if he's getting juggled pretty bad.

In the neutral Mewtwo should be throwing shadow balls, hovering around until you can effectively make an approach or you can just zone and make Marth come to you. The second option is probably the best one. Teleporting around Marth and using shadow ball out of teleport makes it even harder for him to close in on you if he's trying to stop your zoning. If he does eventually break your zoning jabs & dtilts are pretty much your fastest options to hit him before he hits you, HC Fair/Uair are both pretty fast as well. And watch for bad spacing from the Marth a shield grab can net you a quick 30-50% if you capitalize effectively.

When Marth is offstage, that is where you want to get aggressive. You should be trying to gimp a Marth everytime he goes offstage, with your great edgeguard and his fairly predictable recovery you have a complete advantage over him in this area. One bair/dair can easily take a stock from a Marth offstage, you will just have to watch for his recovery mixups, of which he doesn't have many. If you are dominating the ledge vs a recovering Marth you are probably going to win the match. Imo this is the most important aspect of the MU for Mewtwo.

You also can space Marth out. I wouldn't rely on it more than shadow balling him but it's possible and effective when done correctly. Your Ftilt outranges everything from him besides maybe his Fsmash. And your Fsmash has more range than his does. Ftilt can be used simply to knock Marth back a bit while you go back to zoning. I wouldn't try to challenge his CC game too often because his dtilt will beat yours if he CCs.

In my experience:

-Shadow Ball Zoning
-Closing Edgeguards
-Juggling
-Spacing

If you are performing well in those areas you are winning the match.
I like fighting Marths too, although (at least in Melee), I think it's admittedly a bad matchup for Mewtwo.

I don't know exactly just how much more effective Mewtwo's shadowball zoning is in PM over Melee, but I would usually recommend against it. While it is a way to slip in some damage at Marth at if he's far enough, a good Marth with good footing will try to crunch the space between you and him where perhaps he's not in a full out offensive, but he's just properly spaced so that he can punish you if you attempt an uncharged shadowball. I find it more than being a zoning strategy from Mewtwo, it's more of a counter to Marth's own zoning, expecting you to come at them. Making Marth get into that range is probably what you meant when you said "making Marth come to you" I guess.

Also, I noticed that while Marth's are away from you trying to persuade you into coming at them, you can charge your shadowball all the way through, since the moment you start charging, they're expecting you to release it and they get ready to counter it or avoid it, which allows you to just continue charging. I think the idea of "well that dude just stood there and charged his projectile all the way through" seems rather unlikely to some of us, since I fall to that against Samus players too.

Anyway, when Marth is at that range, I think it's best to begin playing the spacing game. I guess Marth players like to think that they can create this pressuring and safe flurry of attacks, but it turns out that Marth has many holes in his pressure. You want to bait Marth into moving while spacing until you get the right time to punish. Marth's like to use retreating fair, for example, since this puts pressure unto the opponent, puts Marth in a constant position where Mewtwo's dtilt approach is not a threat, and puts Marth into a relatively safe landing position. However, if the first fair is shielded or outspaced, Mewtwo can wavedash into Marth and go for a shieldgrab, a crouch-canceled dtilt, or even just u-tilt out of the wavedash for a juggle since being above the opponent can be so bad. I don't know how much more hitbox he has in his uair OoS, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's really any easy counter too like MK0 says. If you have a fully charged shadowball (or an almost fully charged shadowball, which is more prone to make the Marth forget that you have one), you can also usually have the Marth eat it if they try these types of strategies.

Getting Marth on a platform above you is also usually favorable since you can come in with a nair, which tends to shieldstab for land them on another platform. Making it hard for Marth to get out of unfavorable juggle positions. A stage with platforms may also favor you if you're good at shield-dropping and can find timings to punish Marths attacks from under the stage although a good Marth may try baiting these or waiting out on your shield for shieldstabs, which is another reason that PM needs light-shielding direly.

What I find to be the biggest match-breaker in Marth's favor is his grab though. All is fine until Marth just starts dashing in an grabbing you out of your dreams for victory, although it's hard for him to get a kill on a Mewtwo that can properly DI, but then you have to rely heavily on your wits to return to the neutral game. Mewtwo's new spot-dodge probably makes that less of an issue.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
What do you guys think about Zelda? I honestly don't know what to do against her and the Zelda thread didn't help any.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think about Zelda? I honestly don't know what to do against her and the Zelda thread didn't help any.
What you tried out-footsieing her? It's too dangerous for Mewtwo to try to go in within a certain range, but maybe you can try to hit her legs after a whiffed fair and stuff. Try to shadow claw her foot. Pivot side B if she lands. Outrange her neutral b with forward smash or side B? If these things work, Zelda will be a lot more cautious before throwing out attacks, in which case you can go in for grabs or bait out other attacks or dodges.

StriderAaron360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlueStrider
Any ideas on the Pika matchup? I got bodied by paradoxium's pika last night, the character just feels so fast and hard to combo
This is a tough MU for me too. Although there's really no guaranteed way to fight a good Pikachu, there are a few things I found that work.

Fully charged shadow balls can go through Pika's stage controlling neutral B attacks. Once he sees that happen, he'll probably let up a little on them once he knows you have a full charge. (really trains em if you managed to take a stock by punishing a grounded neutral b) I didn't try it yet, but I think fully charged shadow ball can snuff Pika's up-b as well.

Nair can go through Pika's neutral B as well, which means that floating nair is very helpful.

Basically, you have to control the stage. You can't let Pika push you around with neutral b. After alot of dodging and punishing with shadow balls, it's just a matter of getting a good grab into d throw or side-b. Side-b into usmash is guaranteed at low percents. U-tilt and uair juggling works well, too.

Watch out for his usmash and DON'T GET GRABBED! Pika has damaging combos on Mewtwo at low percents.

As far as edgeguarding, don't try too hard to chase him. He can get back to the stage much quicker with up-b, then you're in trouble instead. Usmash might be good against a predictable up-b attempt, but I could be wrong. Doesn't hurt to try, though.

Up throw should kill at 120 and up on low ceiling stages. B-throw would work well on Yoshi's story too I think. Oh, and stay away from FD!

Top Bottom