• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Metal Discussion (Come in here for the chugga chuzz of the br00tal metal)

Y

Yodery

So I'm trying to make myself "feel better" just because I announce my distaste of metal? Typical metalhead tbh.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Some day one of my friends is going to hit me when I randomly start singing the sons of winter and stars chorus parts again :D

Also, freedom of speech is great and I'm a huge fan of it and everything... but why the hell do you bother to visit threads with topics you don't like? Seems pretty stupid to me, unless you're into masochism or something ... in which case I'd recommend visiting concerts or sth for the better effect.

oh, and just seeing Werekill has some anime-related avatar as well... Somebody should create a statistic of how much higher the chance is a metalhead watches that kind of stuff in comparision to other people (and LT's Falkor is far too fluffy as well :p) :D

Y

Yodery

Mods and admins are also big fans of freedom of speech.

They demonstrate their love for it by warning and banning everyone that doesn't tell them what they want to hear. XD

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Freedom of speech tho
Freedom of speech doesn't apply to ****ing internet message boards lol. Getting banned or infracted on a message board is not a constitutional issue lmfao. What are you 13. go listen to animal collective and feel relevant .

anyways.

so I quite enjoyed Vanitas. It's not nearly as good as Constellations of the Black Widow but it's overall a very well rounded album and really satiated my Anaal Nathrakh thirst for now. extremely solid album

http://youtu.be/Kk11FDrmcJY

and just for fun, as I don't think there will be anymore suprises this year (i'll be glad if i'm wrong though, only thing in particular i'm excited for now is Atoms for Peace) my top albums dis year. its interesting to me to see how things have already changed a bunch in a few months since i last thought about my fav albums.

1. BTBAM - Parallax 2
2. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid m.a.a.d City
3. Rolo Tomassi - Astraea
4. Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
5. Crystal Castles - 3
6. Converge - All we Love we Leave Behind
7. Caspian - Waking Season
8. Lil B - The Basedprint Volume 2
9. Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
10. Nas - Life is Good

honorable mentions:
Death Grips- NO LOVE DEEP WEB
Death Grips- The Money Store
Contortionist - Intrinsic
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Pinata
Lil B- God's Father
Mono - For My Parents
Lil B- Obama Basedgod
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend
Mt. Eerie - Clear Moon
Swans - Seer
John Frusciante- PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone

Y

Yodery

lol who are you to call me out on only listening to "pitchfork approved music"? Godspeed You! Black Emperor? Kendrick Lamar? ****outtahere

Y

Yodery

lmaooo, you called me out on something, i proved you're a hypocrite, and here you are trying to change the subject? Yo, I'm outta this *****. i can't even haha

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't think I'm being a hypocrite at all. Picking two artists out the dozen I listed as being pitchfork approved is...whatever. It's not like Pitchfork doesn't review good music or something. they're a good source to find music. what I meant by my jab was that you're the typical insufferable hipster type who thinks the music they listen to makes them a better or more informed person than someone who listens to something else.

I think it's best to listen to all kinds of music and try and open your mind to everything. that's why I have Cattle Decapitation on the same list as Crystal Castles and Lil B. Some of those groups might be pitchfork-favorites, but what I was referring to was your attitude more than anything. I'm glad it offended you enough to keep you posting over and over again though.

TLDR: my pitchfork jab was meant to imply "you are a snob" more than "pitchfork sucks and everything they talk about sucks"

anyways, for some on topic material, does anyone like Made out of Babies? I dunno if I can classify it as metal exactly but the vocalist (who is also from Battle of Mice ) has my favorite scream in all of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM92ExunpqY

ahhh **** it, I can't NOT link Battle of Mice again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlNKOyyH8xY 2:08-2:24 gives me shivers every god damn time

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Hey guys, cut it out. It's over. Next person to continue this "argument" (if anyone even wants to; LT shut it down concisely) gets an infraction.

Holy ****, it's that chick from Battle of Mice. I can't see the link here, but is it Bones in the Water?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Of course! That and Sleep and Dream are two tracks that never ever get old. Made Out of Babies isn't as dark and brutal but she gets pretty nasty there too.

also werekill you soft i think almost every yodery post in here deserves an infraction lol. haha that sentence is probably gonna bite me in the *** but goddamnit i deserve some slak i am by far the biggest contributor to this thread >:O

Geist

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure most people here don't dig them, but damn enslaved's new album is totally the AOTY for me. It's so massive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DULdEgVgY8

Sybreed's new album also came out from under the radar just a little while ago. It's pretty good, but not mindblowing. It's got a **** load of groove though.

also battle of mice is so legit, but I can't say I'm too much a fan of made of babies, and I can't put my finger on why. :/
then again they'd seem like a band I'd need to give multiple listens

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
So I had to catch up on the last few pages. Enslaved never fails to impress me, Sybreed still sucks a massive dong, Battle of Mice and Made Out of Babies are both legit, both Wintersun albums are solid so I'm pretty excited to see them live, and I've never read a Pitchfork.

Endezzma's first full length album comes out later this month. I'm kinda stoked since I thought Alone was a fairly unique EP. Based on this one song it's still pretty out there though maybe a bit less black metal and a bit more goth or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH6K932r0To

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1bj1EqkbEM

Vocals and lyrics straight from the dudes heart. Gives me chills watching him yell those words about his brother
Absolutely adore the instrumental work. The vox could be better but the fact that they're from choking up with emotion makes them that much better overall. The only problem I see is that, if that's how the singer actually does it, then how do the normal songs sound? I kinda don't want to have to rely on personal tragedies making the band listenable, you know?

No joke, Astraea threw me for a ****ing loop when I first heard it, but I think I actually like it a lot more than Hysterics and Cosmology. It's definitely tame, but it actually seems to work really well for them!

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Absolutely adore the instrumental work. The vox could be better but the fact that they're from choking up with emotion makes them that much better overall. The only problem I see is that, if that's how the singer actually does it, then how do the normal songs sound? I kinda don't want to have to rely on personal tragedies making the band listenable, you know?
Agreed.
That perticular song was very good though

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
So on the subject of favorite albums of the year, I decided to make mine into a 3x3 grid. Because why not.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
whoa there's a new Rush album??

My vocalist is unhealthily obsessed with Noctourniquet. I don't get it. I don't get Mars Volta period. I think they're really annoying, especially the singing.

my list keeps changing

1. Rolo Tomassi - Astraea
2. BTBAM - Parallax 2
3. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid MaaD City
4. Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
5. Crystal Castles 3

Parallax 2 might be technically a more solid album than Astraea, but BTBAM can never wrench my heart the way Rolo does. Also Eva Spence kicks the **** out of Tommy Rogers in the lyrics department. i can't give two ****s about the majority of stuff Tommy writes about since Colors.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
My vocalist is unhealthily obsessed with Noctourniquet.
Your...vocalist? Why? The worst part of the mars volta is and will probably always be the vocalist (with Omar's solos coming in second. Great composer, horrible horrible guitar player.)

I like the mars volta because of the whole chaoticness. It's like splashes of music against a canvas. I'd probably like them a whole lot less if I didn't have the ability to block out bad singing, though.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Your...vocalist? Why? The worst part of the mars volta is and will probably always be the vocalist (with Omar's solos coming in second. Great composer, horrible horrible guitar player.)

I like the mars volta because of the whole chaoticness. It's like splashes of music against a canvas. I'd probably like them a whole lot less if I didn't have the ability to block out bad singing, though.
Well, he's not obsessed with the vocals specifically, he's just obsessed with the album.

I really like Omar as a guitar player, but not in Volta. his work with John Frusciante is pretty amazing and I'll always enjoy At the Drive In and his own band way more than Volta.

and yes, new Crystal Castles is sexy and sad. it's been on Spotify for a week or so now.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
hmmm... I dunno what order I'd put a "top albums" in but they would include
Melody Gardot - The Absence
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city
Torche - Harmonicraft
Baroness - Yellow & Green
The Gaslamp Killer - Breakthrough
Chelsea Wolfe - Unknown Rooms

I am ashamed to say I haven't yet listened to new godspeed

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
Astraea is actually pretty good though it could be that my expectations were extremely low since Cosmology and Hysterics had a combined total of 1 good song. Easily the best album Rolo has done by miles but I'm not sure if it'll stick with me at all. I'll give it a few more listens before deciding on if it's good or if it's just surprisingly decent.

Edit: I know it wasn't intended but that Bleak Falls song is hilariously bad. I'm sorry he lost his brother and all, but I feel embarrassed having that come out of my speakers.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Astraea is actually pretty good though it could be that my expectations were extremely low since Cosmology and Hysterics had a combined total of 1 good song. Easily the best album Rolo has done by miles but I'm not sure if it'll stick with me at all. I'll give it a few more listens before deciding on if it's good or if it's just surprisingly decent.

Edit: I know it wasn't intended but that Bleak Falls song is hilariously bad. I'm sorry he lost his brother and all, but I feel embarrassed having that come out of my speakers.
i'll bite, what song? or are you saying each album had only a half of a good song and somehow you put those two halfs together to make an all new cohesive song?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Just wanted to (chip)tune in, if you will forgive the horrible pun and say that I love the new Machine Supremacy album. Somebody should've told me that they play power metal with some soundchip thrown in because why the hell not... what could possibly go wrong with that combination? :D (soundchip > drums > guitars > synths > everything else as far as instruments go for me :) )

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i love chiptunes and synths and electro stuff in metal/hardcore. that's part of why HORSE is my favorite band and why I love Rolo Tomassi so much. HORSE's keyboardist uses Little Sound DJ on the original Gameboy to make some of the fx and interludes on a bunch of their songs since A Natural Death. my favorite one is probably the intro to this song and also at 1:50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN9SNiVPZYs

Anamanaguchi isn't exactly metal, but it's energetic rock and they use modded NES' along with other nerd stuff to make much of their music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dHP9p8W3o and apparently they have a really good live show o.O . even with the kinda bad quality it sounds ridiculously close to the album version

and oh yeah, gotta rep Bubblegum Octopus who is one of my musical idols hahaha. few artists are as ambitious as he is in his music

http://youtu.be/qDpmiJOuZ8E

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I remember you posting Bubblegum Octopus before, and it's still incredibly weird. I'm still unsure how I feel about it in terms of whether I love it, enjoy it somewhat, or rather hate it :D

The HORSE track is pretty awesome, might give the whole album a listen later (kinda stuck on Demetori right now ... close to 300 plays the last three days ... :x :D)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Played another show with Holly Maddux. Was lots of fun. We played sloppy as hell and the kids in Port Richie Florida are not our scene at all so we weren't ecstatically received by the people there because most of them were waiting for the 2-steps and breakdowns.

Then we played Deland Rock and Metal Fest. A whole bunch of terrible terrible bands played before us like Catcher and the Rye and other **** not worth mentioning. Then we played and a bunch of people actually came up and watched us once we started! made me feel pretty good. Could have also played this set better but **** it, when I get on stage I'm just more excited about having fun than playing with pitch perfect precision

Then after us Abiotic played and killed it and made everything else irrelevant. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge fanboy of these guys, but with good reason. Their live show is flawless. They sound better live than many much bigger bands. Don't miss out on seeing these guys even if they are too tech metal or too deathcore or whatever for your taste. Best band in FL by a country mile.

Top Bottom