• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mega Man in SSB Wii-U and 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Want to know what's the worst Mega Man weapon.... Dat Water Balloon. It was a good sign that Cashcom was running out of good weapon ideas. The only use it had was for weakening Sword Man. It would've made more sense to copy Aqua Man's Water Cannon.

:phone:

Thanos6

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thanos6
For the Final Smash, I'd love it to be just him breaking out the Metal Blades for a while, and make them just as broken as they were in MM2.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Yeah I am.:urg:

Who currently makes the megaman games now? I think the last Megaman game I've played was 8, or was it the Battle Network one for gamecube? Either way they both were fun. I should try playing/downloading the older ones since I recently just got a DSTWO for my 3ds.

:phone:
Go get 9 and 10 now. 9 is the best in the series and 10 is the best if you include replay value (easy/hard mode, bass mode, 3 bonus levels).

For the Final Smash, I'd love it to be just him breaking out the Metal Blades for a while, and make them just as broken as they were in MM2.
Metal Blades aren't even the most broken weapon in the series :/ And tbh, Quick Boomerang is about as useful on real mode difficult. There isn't a non-zip official speed run for mm2 difficult so you guys will have to take my word for it.

I guess if we are talking super casually...it's still Rush Jet MM3 or Junk Shield from mm7.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Capcom said they'll announce big things for Megaman this year so he's at least got that going for him whatever that means.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Mega Man fans and supporters may have to wait less than four months until he is finally confirmed for Smash Bros.

I can say that Mega Man is probably among the few characters left that was not playable in Brawl that would bring hype to Smash 4.

Capcom has said something along the lines of that they had more things planned for his 25th anniversary in 2013. What better way to celebrate it than to be confirmed as a fighter for the most popular fighting game franchise?

However, although I think Mega Man is among the most likely newcomers to be shown at an unveil trailer, I think its possible that Mega Man may get the "Sonic treatment" as N3ON pointed out. As in Mega Man won't be shown until close to the game's release or maybe as something to placate the Smash Bros. fanbase if they get an unexpected delay.

However, even still, unlike Sonic, I think if Mega Man is going to end up in Smash 4, Capcom and Nintendo have probably already talked about it.

I am really hoping Mega Man does end up making the Smash 4 unveil trailer as he is one of the only two true newcomers that would really get me hyped for Smash 4 (the other being Ridley).

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
Not that I come on the boards much anymore, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. If it's already been said, cool, ignore me.

If we look at Sony All-Stars Battle Royale, we see that they have Raiden representing the Metal Gear franchise. Why? Because Snake is in Brawl. This is an assumption, but a fairly safe one.

Continuing to assume this exclusivity rule between console-specific crossovers, let's look at Megaman's most recent appearance in a Sony-specific fighter.

Bad Box Art Megaman was one of two Sony exclusives in SFxT. This was seen as insulting to the fanbase in general, but perhaps there is a bigger picture. Assuming this exclusivity rule, BBA Megaman would free up the real, original Megaman for a spot in Super Smash Bros. 4, where people want him more. That would also help to explain (*cough*justify*cough*) the lack of Megaman in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Maybe it's just me over thinking it. But Raiden in Sony Smash Bros. makes me feel REAL good about the Blue Bomber's chances in Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we look at Sony All-Stars Battle Royale, we see that they have Raiden representing the Metal Gear franchise. Why? Because Snake is in Brawl. This is an assumption, but a fairly safe one.
I very much doubt Raiden being in PSASBR was to "free" Snake up for Smash. I'd say the best assumption (especially looking at the other 3rd parties that made it) is to promote Revengeance. It's almost pretty shameless how obvious some of that 3rd-party promotion in PSASBR was. Just look at Dante.

Anyway, I'm sure that if Snake was to be appearing in an upcoming Metal Gear game, Konami would've requested him to be playable just as fast as they probably demanded Raiden. Also, Snake has been in more than one mascot fighting crossover game (pre-Brawl in fact), yet that didn't hinder his chances for Smash, so I'd say Konami's decisions for PSASBR and SSB4 are going to be pretty unrelated.

Continuing to assume this exclusivity rule between console-specific crossovers, let's look at Megaman's most recent appearance in a Sony-specific fighter.

Bad Box Art Megaman was one of two Sony exclusives in SFxT. This was seen as insulting to the fanbase in general, but perhaps there is a bigger picture. Assuming this exclusivity rule, BBA Megaman would free up the real, original Megaman for a spot in Super Smash Bros. 4, where people want him more. That would also help to explain (*cough*justify*cough*) the lack of Megaman in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
Even if Konami had this mentality with Raiden/Snake (which they probably didn't) there's no reason why Capcom would also have it. BBAMM was a joke (a very poorly-timed joke) and nothing more than that. He wasn't a slight against Megaman fans, like they seem to think, he's just an homage to his terrible boxart. The current situation of his franchise at the time of his inclusion gave way for everybody to claim BBAMM was symbolic for Capcom's view of Megaman and many other crazy theories. It was just a jab Capcom was making at themselves, and in any other time (when Megaman was actually gettting games) it wouldn't have been viewed as malicious or suspect of greater theories.

Plus during MvC3's roster selection period SSB4 wasn't even in pre-production yet, so trying to link those two is grasping at straws. Anyway, Megaman (Volnutt, but whatevah) did appear in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, the only one to actually be on a Nintendo system, and in some ways the one that could share the highest audience with SSB4, so if any game were to not have Megaman included to make way for his appearance in Smash, it should've been that one.

Either way, Capcom denying themselves one of the most-well-known characters so they can include him in a game by another company doesn't make too much sense (though neither does Capcom excluding him from so many games recently in general :p), so I really wouldn't put too much stock in these "exclusivity rules".

Maybe it's just me over thinking it. But Raiden in Sony Smash Bros. makes me feel REAL good about the Blue Bomber's chances in Smash.
Raiden was included for promotional purposes in PSASBR, and Mega Man wouldn't be if included in SSB4 (hell, as far as we know Capcom doesn't even have any Mega Man games to promote right now), so they really aren't related at all. Especially since they're owned by different companies with different mentalities. :ohwell:

I agree with N3ON, the promotion of games in PSABR was very out there and noticeable.

However is Kojima wants Snake back, he better be supporting Nintendo this time. Wii U and 3DS.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think Megaman has a chance based on the Sakurai comment of possibly including a Capcom character this time around. What kind of Capcom character could it be besides Megaman?

I think Megaman has a chance based on the Sakurai comment of possibly including a Capcom character this time around. What kind of Capcom character could it be besides Megaman?
Capcom paying him a lot of money to make it Ryu?

Seriously if that happened it would suck........A LOT

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Capcom don't seem overly eager to push Sakurai into including any of their characters, as evidenced by the fact that neither contacted each other for Brawl, so I'd guess when Sakurai approaches Capcom for Megaman, he won't receive much resistance. It's not like Sakurai would ask for some obscure character that would hardly net Capcom a profit, Megaman is still Megaman. They know he would probably increase sales of Smash more than someone like Ryu would.

Sonicsmasher001

Smash Rookie
I think they should give him one and ONLY one weapon from each classic game. Thinking of the possible weapon`s he could have get`s me excited!! :grin:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Mega Man fans and supporters may have to wait less than four months until he is finally confirmed for Smash Bros.

I can say that Mega Man is probably among the few characters left that was not playable in Brawl that would bring hype to Smash 4.

Capcom has said something along the lines of that they had more things planned for his 25th anniversary in 2013. What better way to celebrate it than to be confirmed as a fighter for the most popular fighting game franchise?

However, although I think Mega Man is among the most likely newcomers to be shown at an unveil trailer, I think its possible that Mega Man may get the "Sonic treatment" as N3ON pointed out. As in Mega Man won't be shown until close to the game's release or maybe as something to placate the Smash Bros. fanbase if they get an unexpected delay.

However, even still, unlike Sonic, I think if Mega Man is going to end up in Smash 4, Capcom and Nintendo have probably already talked about it.

I am really hoping Mega Man does end up making the Smash 4 unveil trailer as he is one of the only two true newcomers that would really get me hyped for Smash 4 (the other being Ridley).
Sonic not going to be in Smash4? Know something that I don't?

Kain VKail

Smash Rookie
Aside from all of the "He May/may not be in" banter I think that the best candidate for Classic Mega is the one from 8. His Fluidity and design in general best represents a fighter for SSB4. I only mean for his main design, and not for the weapon choices. The only reason I think this isbecause he seems to be the most suited for non weapon based attacks along with normal smashes and flips and such.

Imagine him similar to fox in this respect, though not identically, Foxes over ground smash is the perfect representation of how Mega Man should move about at least IMHO. I think he'd be best suited as a light and slightly acrobatic character.

D

Deleted member

I think an even better way would be to show off a great 25th anniversary game (not the Xover app game). But yeah, Mega Man's reveal would be amazing.

Kain VKail

Smash Rookie

Haha I remember when Characters were actually hidden and unknowingly unlockable. I really hope he's announced but a small part of me wishes that they'd just put him in and not tell anyone. along with a few other surprise Chars.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
My idea for Mega Man is to be based on the Powered Up version.

One idea I had is for a Rush spring, like Sonic is able to use a spring. And afterwards Rush teleports away. Very cool idea imo, but it's not consistent with the Powered Up idea, since Rush wasn't in Powered Up.

ideas for attacks:
Slide - self-explanatory
Oil slider - Slide into it to start surfing on oil. Throw a bomb on it to set the oil ablaze!
Bomb - Either this or Flame Man's attack, in order to set the oil on fire. I figure the bomb is the better choice.
That leaves room for one more attack, which is probably Cut Man scissors.

Final Smash: I have a few ideas:
a) He uses his Time Man weapon, slowing down time for everyone but himself. But that might be too boring by itself, so while time is slowed down, MM fires Time Man's weapon, which are more powerful than his normal attacks.
b) What's that sound? It's Protoman's whistle! Protoman enters the field and attacks the other fighters with a barrage of powered up charge shots.
c) Mega Man calls his friends. 16 robot masters fall from the sky, use their attack at least once, and leave. The 16 robot masters would be the ones from Mega Man 9 and Mega Man Powered Up. (since those are the ones Dr. Light created) Protoman and Roll would be included (so 18 characters in all would appear) but other characters like Beat, Duo, and maybe even Dr. Light himself could be thrown into the mix.

Yea, I guess just those 3 are all the final smashes I thought of. Now that I listed them, the first one sounds REALLY good. I didn't think of the last part until now (being able to fire Time Man shots, instead of just slowing down time) but that's an excellent finishing touch that puts the idea on top.

edit: Come to think of it, the 16 robot masters idea might be the right choice, as a nod to MM's legacy. MM on his own would feel pretty narrow in a Smash game, at best you would have only 3 weapons and Rush. (or 4 weapons, but that would just make him feel even more narrow) MM is characteristically defined by boss weapons, and robot masters.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, Megaman has my vote. Normally I'm not all that happy on 3rd party character entering other games but I think Megaman or any of his incarnations can work well for smash. Given that a majority of the games are on Nintendo systems anyhow. There's plenty to work with in terms of moves too. Namely using robot master weapons for his specials and/or smash if its really needed. If not well, He has things like the buster and the slide that could work. attacks As for a Final Smash him getting the Rush Adapter seems like it'd be easy to implement. For physical moves they could use some of his MvC moves as a reference.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
I wanted both Mega Man and Bass in the game. My idea for Bass was to be based off his Mega Man & Bass weapons, while Mega Man is based on Powered Up. But if Mega Man is based on Mega Man & Bass as well, then both characters can be each other's semi-clones.

The Mega Man & Bass attacks could be:
-Copy Vision (Astro Man's weapon)
-Wave Burner (Burner Man's weapon)
-Remote Mine (Pirate Man's weapon)

That leaves only the matter of what the 4th attack would be:
-Tengu Blade (Tengu Man's weapon) <-- I was going to add this, but Remote Mine essentially does the same thing.
-Spread Drill (Ground Man's weapon) <-- Once again too similar to Remote Mine.
-Lightning Bolt (Dynamo Man's weapon) <-- It's a screenwide attack, obviously doesn't fit except as a Final Smash.
-Ice Wall (Cold Man's weapon) <-- Its uses might be too fringe to warrant inclusion, but possibly worth a look.
-Magic Card (Magic Man's weapon) <-- Short range projectile.. Doesn't seem like it would do much.

So maybe for Mega Man, the 4th attack would simply be Rush Spring.
For Bass, the 4th attack could simply be one of the above weapons. (Or Treble spring.)

There is MM's slide and Bass's dash, but maybe those could just be their dash functions. They can still be attacks, this could be triggered simply by pressing the attack button while using them.

Bass's final smash would Treble adapter form which appears in MM8 and Mega Man & Bass. (as opposed to his more simplistic looking MM7 Treble adapter form) I think his attacks while in this form should be specifically based on his Mega Man 8 version.

(Copy Vision) MM hologram fires shots for you while you go off and do other things. And you can still fire while using it!

(Wave Burner) Flamethrower style weapon, rack up damage or keep opponent at a distance.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I hope they go with classic Megaman (Megaman 2 preferred). However, teh SNES Megaman would be great. Perhaps have X as an alternate costume.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Silly me, I forgot that one of the 'B-button' attacks needs to be reserved for the standard buster.
Since normal attacking can't be a projectile in Smash Bros.

So in short my idea is

Mega Man
B - Mega Buster (Mega Man charges automatically! If you havent fired in a while, your first shot will be a charge shot!)
B left/right - oil spill
B down - bomb
B up - Cut Man weapon
dash - slide

Or Mega Man can be a semiclone of Bass:

Bass
B up - Copy Vision
B down - Wave Burner
B left/right - Remote Mine (or Tengu Blade) (or Spread Drill)
B - Bass Buster (can fire in 8 directions! But no charge shot.)
dash - dash

or Bass Buster can be switched with Remote Mine. Problem is that both those attacks require control stick input. (To control which direction to fire with Bass Buster, or to control where the Remote Mine goes.) This is a dilemma I did not think of until now. For this reason maybe it's better to go with Spread Drill instead of Remote Mine.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Silly me, I forgot that one of the 'B-button' attacks needs to be reserved for the standard buster.
Since normal attacking can't be a projectile in Smash Bros.

So in short my idea is

Mega Man
B - Mega Buster (Mega Man charges automatically! If you havent fired in a while, your first shot will be a charge shot!)
B left/right - oil spill
B down - bomb
B up - Cut Man weapon
dash - slide

Or Mega Man can be a semiclone of Bass:

Bass
B up - Copy Vision
B down - Wave Burner
B left/right - Remote Mine (or Tengu Blade) (or Spread Drill)
B - Bass Buster (can fire in 8 directions! But no charge shot.)
dash - dash

or Bass Buster can be switched with Remote Mine. Problem is that both those attacks require control stick input. (To control which direction to fire with Bass Buster, or to control where the Remote Mine goes.) This is a dilemma I did not think of until now. For this reason maybe it's better to go with Spread Drill instead of Remote Mine.
I think you kinda have the right idea for Megaman's moveset for the most part, but I'd like to throw in some ideas your way.
1. The main thing I think should be added to your Megaman's moveset would be a recovery move for his Up-B. In the Power Battles and/or Power Fighters Megaman had did a "Mega-Uppercut" move, So that could as a decent, damage-dealing recovery for him.

2. The only other thing I'd point out is that Megaman could take many power-up moves from many games instead of just one game, so let's say he has the Jewel Shield as his Down-B, while the Metal Blade is his Side-B. Maybe he could use the Fire-Blade for his Side-Smash.

Aside form those two things I mentioned, your moveset could work for a smash game.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Well, there are far too many games to choose boss weapons from, so the question is: how does one choose?
Sticking to one game is a solution. Maybe it's not very Smash Bros like, but it could be comparable to how Wario sticks to WarioWare in terms of how he is represented.

As for recovery move, I have a question. Do all characters in Smash Bros have a recovery move? The answer will help me come up with me B button moves for other characters.

After the last time I posted, I was wondering if MM's B-up attack should be something that attacks upward. But I was still not thinking of the recovery element.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yoshi doesn't have an up B recovery, I think he's the ONLY one.

Also, maybe it should just be the attacks of the most popular robot masters

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yoshi doesn't have an up B recovery, I think he's the ONLY one.

Also, maybe it should just be the attacks of the most popular robot masters

Well, Jiggs also lacks an Up B recovery, but it sort of evens out the fact that it's pretty easy for her to recover, anyway.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, Jiggs also lacks an Up B recovery, but it sort of evens out the fact that it's pretty easy for her to recover, anyway.
Yep. I'm pretty sure they're the only two that have a non-recovery Up-B. But given that one has 5 or so jumps, while the other has a super jump, kinda makes up for it. Anyway I think that if Megaman gets in a Smash game, Megaman should have a normal recovery for his Up-B. He has a few options anyhow.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well, there are far too many games to choose boss weapons from, so the question is: how does one choose?
Sticking to one game is a solution. Maybe it's not very Smash Bros like, but it could be comparable to how Wario sticks to WarioWare in terms of how he is represented.

As for recovery move, I have a question. Do all characters in Smash Bros have a recovery move? The answer will help me come up with me B button moves for other characters.

After the last time I posted, I was wondering if MM's B-up attack should be something that attacks upward. But I was still not thinking of the recovery element.
Well Megaman is a lot like Kirby. Kirby has around 50+ powers from all his games. How do you choose his powers? He ended up with Stone, Cutter, Hammer, and a couple of other moves represented but no Laser, Star Rod, Fireball, Mike, Plasma, Mirror, etc.

Megaman's moves will be decided by practicallity and how they fit in the game. I do think he will get random moves and won't be obtaining other opponents abilities. Kirby got the both of best worlds (random moves from his games as well as the ability to suck others up for one ability from each).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think I'd be okay if Megaman EXE. was the Megaman chosen for Smash. I mean Classic Megaman is far more likely, but EXE. would have some interesting moves himself.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well Megaman is a lot like Kirby. Kirby has around 50+ powers from all his games. How do you choose his powers? He ended up with Stone, Cutter, Hammer, and a couple of other moves represented but no Laser, Star Rod, Fireball, Mike, Plasma, Mirror, etc.

Megaman's moves will be decided by practicallity and how they fit in the game. I do think he will get random moves and won't be obtaining other opponents abilities. Kirby got the both of best worlds (random moves from his games as well as the ability to suck others up for one ability from each).
Well, we know he will probably use the Mega buster.

He can use Rush for recovery.

That takes care of two. The other two could be from MvC.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
The other two could be from MvC.
ouch

I think I'd be okay if Megaman EXE. was the Megaman chosen for Smash. I mean Classic Megaman is far more likely, but EXE. would have some interesting moves himself.
If this happen, can Geo Stelar be included as a semiclone or skin swap? Like Dr. Mario for Mario, is that possible?

He could have the exact same moveset as Megaman.exe and it would still be legit.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
3rd party characters always worry me. Especially if I think it would be cool if they made it.

I'm not sure how far Sakurai is willing to go with the roster or if hes even considering more outside newcomers for SSB4 (if somebody has some insightful quotes that would be nice).
I mean Sonic was a friendly rival of mario (even having crossover games) for quite some time and same with Sega vs. Nintendo. His appearance is justified. Honestly I have no clue what justifies snake...

Perhaps Megaman could be the new snake?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
3rd party characters always worry me. Especially if I think it would be cool if they made it.

I'm not sure how far Sakurai is willing to go with the roster or if hes even considering more outside newcomers for SSB4 (if somebody has some insightful quotes that would be nice).
I mean Sonic was a friendly rival of mario (even having crossover games) for quite some time and same with Sega vs. Nintendo. His appearance is justified. Honestly I have no clue what justifies snake...

Perhaps Megaman could be the new snake?
Snake was put in because the creator of Snake is a good friend of Sakurai and asked for his inclusion so that his son could play as a character he made. Touching really.

Megaman would be the new Sonic as everyone wants him. Snake was just the most awesome WTF character of all time.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Why ouch?
It seems to be sidestepping MM fans to cater to fighting game community.

That said I checked just now what his moves are. They are Leaf Shield (MM2), Tornado Hold (MM8) and Rock Ball (MM8) and I certainly wouldn't complain if any of them make it in his Smash Bros moveset.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It seems to be sidestepping MM fans to cater to fighting game community.

That said I checked just now what his moves are. They are Leaf Shield (MM2), Tornado Hold (MM8) and Rock Ball (MM8) and I certainly wouldn't complain if any of them make it in his Smash Bros moveset.
So don't complain. :troll:

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Are there Smash Bros characters without a recovery-based special move, or does everyone need to have one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom