The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

Kirberus

Smash Rookie
I'd say it's more like DR2's setting with DR3 Future's rules ("kill someone else in hopes that it'll stop anyone else from dying tomorrow"). Still a bunch of Danganronpa nonetheless. All you have to do is replace that MonoMunna-looking creature with the real Monokuma!

Me comparing what I put out to this:

For real, though, part of me wants to argue that it's Smash being influential with the whole "invitation with a stylized red seal" thing, but I have no truth bullets evidence for it.
Even if it isn't news it's still some fun coincidence that I pointed out. Then again I feel like Smash and Danganronpa are having some ties being made with that Dragalia Lost stuff now coming to light... even if Dragalia Lost is developed by a different company than Nintendo.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Lord
Stopping in to say that I started watching a play through of the first Danganrompa game and love it. Was really unsure if I'd want Monokuma because I didn't think he'd have much of a moveset but I'm heading into class trial 2 right now and I see a solid one starting to come together that wouldn't just be punches and kicks. May end up buying the next ones for myself since I like it so much right now

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting my life for a man who wants me dead
Pretty sure Monokuma would go over 1000x better with the general public who knows nothing about DanganRonpa than one of the generic episodic protagonists. He would stick out from the rest of the crowd heavily for both design and moveset, rather than being another token pretty anime face. I found him hilarious while playing the DR games, particularly DRV3, I would love to see him somehow show up in Smash.

GustavoAlves

Smash Rookie
Oh, now I released The Trial Grounds, a Danganronpa stage to accompany Monokuma.

The stage has eight songs, moving platforms, an alternative competitive layout, an exclusive remix (so it has that special Smash Bros. flair), and a dynamic soundtrack that mostly changes on the last stock.
The "death portraits" rotate around the stage and I think that's neat. And I tried to go for a pseudo-3d effect with the seats in the background.

When a character dies, it appears in the monitor in the Danganronpa pixel art style getting dragged by Monokuma like it's punishment time. Creators can create avatars of their own characters.

And if there's only one minute left in the match and certain songs are playing, the monitor plays the infamous "Let's Killing" animation.

Anyway, I'm talking about this because that's how I envision a Danganronpa stage in Smash, and I could kind of translate it to a similar game. Download and learn more about the stage here.

Last edited:

Kirberus

Smash Rookie
Oh, now I released The Trial Grounds, a Danganronpa stage to accompany Monokuma.

The stage has eight songs, moving platforms, an alternative competitive layout, an exclusive remix (so it has that special Smash Bros. flair), and a dynamic soundtrack that mostly changes on the last stock.
The "death portraits" rotate around the stage and I think that's neat. And I tried to go for a pseudo-3d effect with the seats in the background.

When a character dies, it appears in the monitor in the Danganronpa pixel art style getting dragged by Monokuma like it's punishment time. Creators can create avatars of their own characters.

And if there's only one minute left in the match and certain songs are playing, the monitor plays the infamous "Let's Killing" animation.

Anyway, I'm talking about this because that's how I envision a Danganronpa stage in Smash, and I could kind of translate it to a similar game. Download and learn more about the stage here.
This looks great. I really like the idea of the Let's Kill Each Other video being played and would really like to see it in Smash Bros. itself as a video that plays while the match goes through Sudden Death.

chocolatejr9

Smash Lord
For anyone interested, GameXplain is doing a new "Game Club" (it's like a book club but with video games) on Trigger Happy Havoc. What makes this one interesting is that none of them have ever played a Danganronpa game before, meaning they're all going into this blind, which is always fun to watch. If any of you need an excuse to replay THH, now's your chance.

Kirberus

Smash Rookie
For anyone interested, GameXplain is doing a new "Game Club" (it's like a book club but with video games) on Trigger Happy Havoc. What makes this one interesting is that none of them have ever played a Danganronpa game before, meaning they're all going into this blind, which is always fun to watch. If any of you need an excuse to replay THH, now's your chance.

Watch GameXplain make 10 minute Danganronpa theory videos after this lmao. Also, it's always fun seeing those who play Trigger Happy Havoc blind have their favorite be Sayaka immediately. They're in for a wild ride. I hope more in the Nintendo community gets a chance to play it, and in the context of Smash, I hope more people get to know who Monokuma is before he gets potentially revealed as a fighter. I wouldn't want to see too negative of a reaction from the Smash fanbase.

Top Bottom