• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
That just makes it worse, honestly. Sad that this thread is being diluted due to a prick.
To get back on topic, if Danganronpa is eligible for Smash because Visual Novels count as videogames, would Clannad be eligible for Smash? Clannad is an obscure visual novel.

Last edited:

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
To get back on topic, if Danganronpa is eligible for Smash because Visual Novels count as videogames, would Clannad be eligible for Smash? Clannad is an obscure visual novel.
Eligible? Maybe. Realistically possible? No.

If it's an obscure visual novel (or obscure anything,) it's not getting in. Simple as that. The only thing its gotten since 2004 was an adult spin-off game one year after its release, in terms of games.

It also seems that Clannad is in the same spot as the Fate series where it's more remembered for being an anime than a visual novel. If it's really remembered for anything.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Eligible? Maybe. Realistically possible? No.

If it's an obscure visual novel (or obscure anything,) it's not getting in. Simple as that. The only thing its gotten since 2004 was an adult spin-off game one year after its release, in terms of games.
I think it's safe to assume that CLANNAD is eligible for Smash. If Makoto (Danganronpa), and Monokuma can be playable, then I guess Tomoya (Clannad) can be playable as well.

There are actually a number of obscure 3rd party franchises that are currently represented in Smash, including Bayonetta, Fatal Frame, Mystical Ninja Goemon, No More Heroes, and many more. Obscure 3rd party franchises can still get representation, however, they are typically better off without getting any playable characters. Not to mention, I also support Saber (Fate/Stay Night) as well, but for Tomoya (CLANNAD) on the other hand, I want him to be a mii costume, spirit, or assist trophy at most.

It also seems that Clannad is in the same spot as the Fate series where it's more remembered for being an anime than a visual novel. If it's really remembered for anything.
You are correct! Fate is better known as an anime than a visual novel. However, it still originated as a visual novel. Thus, Saber (Fate) is still viable.

Last edited:

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
I think it's safe to assume that CLANNAD is eligible for Smash. If Makoto (Danganronpa), and Monokuma can be playable, then I guess Tomoya (Clannad) can be playable as well.

There are actually a number of obscure 3rd party franchises that are currently represented in Smash, including Bayonetta, Fatal Frame, Mystical Ninja Goemon, No More Heroes, and many more. Obscure 3rd party franchises can still get representation, however, they are typically better off without getting any playable characters. Not to mention, I also support Saber (Fate/Stay Night) as well, but for Tomoya (CLANNAD) on the other hand, I want him to be a mii costume, spirit, or assist trophy at most.

You are correct! Fate is better known as an anime than a visual novel. However, it still originated as a visual novel. Thus, Saber (Fate) is still viable.
Bayonetta? Obscure? In what world?

And no, Danganronpa's popularity absolutely dwarfs that of Clannad, so it's not comparable. Danganronpa is among the ranks of Ace Attorney & Pikmin in terms of popularity, Clannad is more comparable to the popularity of an NHL game from 20 years ago.

We shouldn't even be talking about this. If you want Clannad or whatever to get in so bad, why not go to the thread for it. That is, if it's even that significant to have one in the first place. Ironically, for a person who wants to get back on topic, you brought up something completely random instead. Maybe talk about Monokuma in the Monokuma thread next time.

Last edited:

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Anyways, to get back onto the ACTUAL topic.

Danganronpa's 10th anniversary is 19 days away. I'd imagine if something was big, it got delayed.

But I'm still hoping for something.

Fire Scyther

Smash Cadet
Oh man, recently I myself have gotten into the Danganronpa series and to say the least, I'm hooked up from what I've seen so far. Although I cannot play the games yet due to not owning any of the consoles and systems it is in, so I'd like to stay away from spoilers, I have thoroughly enjoyed the cast's crazy designs so far which are not what I expected in a visual novel like this (what I had in mind were the typical generic and bland designs you see in most animes) and the more I delve into the series the more I get engaged and I think it would be a delight to see someone like Monokuma in Smash. Count me in as a supporter!

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Oh man, recently I myself have gotten into the Danganronpa series and to say the least, I'm hooked up from what I've seen so far. Although I cannot play the games yet due to not owning any of the consoles and systems it is in, so I'd like to stay away from spoilers, I have thoroughly enjoyed the cast's crazy designs so far which are not what I expected in a visual novel like this (what I had in mind were the typical generic and bland designs you see in most animes) and the more I delve into the series the more I get engaged and I think it would be a delight to see someone like Monokuma in Smash. Count me in as a supporter!
Ironically, the vibrant cast is supposed to be a parody on plain and cliche anime tropes, so I'm really glad you enjoy DR! For me, it's quite possibly the only visual novel where I wasn't bored once, and the fact a VN could perform such a feat, I think a DR character, specifically Monokuma, deserves a spot in Smash just for that, lol.

Trust me though, the second game is giant upgrade, and V3 dwarves both of first 2. Even UDG is good. Delving into the Danganronpa rabbit hole is a fun experience, and I hope you have more fun, too.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Pretty big 10th anniversary sale. If any of you are new to the series, I'd recommend getting into it now.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
So I guess the question is, is Danganronpa something Nintendo would consider TGA-worthy? That and the whole "all the character reveals got delayed" theory.
The fighters pass 2 characters where chosen probably back in 2018, before they were gradually revealed.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
So I guess the question is, is Danganronpa something Nintendo would consider TGA-worthy? That and the whole "all the character reveals got delayed" theory.
I mean, Danganronpa is rather well known in Japan in terms of popularity but I personally think it's not TGA worthy.

But I'll be surprised if it is, I also didn't consider Persona 5 to be TGA worthy either.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was just thinking.....with how visual novels are way more popular in Japan than anywhere else in the world. If they held a vote in Japan for a playable fighter to come from a visual novel, who would win? Would it be Phoenix Wright/Monokuma or somebody else?

Ace Attorney, Danganronpa and Zero Escape seem like they're by far the most notable visual novel franchises....but that's from a western perspective.

The Fate/Stay series is very popular in Japan isn't it?

Last edited:

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Sephiroth got in.

And he looks ****ing cool. I knew it wasn't gonna be Monokuma the moment I saw the setting btw but this is still awesome.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Good night everyone, I had a good night even if Monokuma didn't make it in.

I will say I am very glad Sephiroth got in, and am kind of disheartened looking at the Geno thread, who really, really aren't liking this at the moment.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
I think Monokuma is my go to wild card guess. Just completely unexpected, out of nowhere.
Personally, my optimal Smash Challenger Pack order:

Challenger Pack 9: Crash Bandicoot

Challenger Pack 10: Monokuma

Challenger Pack 11: Scorpion, Doom Slayer, or Dante

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
With how similar the Monokubs are to Monokuma, would it be acceptable for them to be costumes for him? They don't need to change his name, but some changes beyond just colors would be nice, given how the small changes would go a long way.

I really like this idea. I've already thought about Monokuma's possible costumes and they could each be a different character:

1. Monokuma
2. Monotaro
3. Monodam
4. Monokid
5. Monophanie
6. Monosuke
7. Shirokuma
8. Kurokuma

I would be fine with either model swaps or just colored costumes referencing these.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Personally, my optimal Smash Challenger Pack order:

Challenger Pack 9: Crash Bandicoot

Challenger Pack 10: Monokuma

Challenger Pack 11: Scorpion, Doom Slayer, or Dante
I don't think Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) is eligible due to Mortal Kombat being banned/blocked in Japan.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
I really like this idea. I've already thought about Monokuma's possible costumes and they could each be a different character:

1. Monokuma
2. Monotaro
3. Monodam
4. Monokid
5. Monophanie
6. Monosuke
7. Shirokuma
8. Kurokuma

I would be fine with either model swaps or just colored costumes referencing these.

Having a Monomi Mii Costume to add to this would be great.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Kodaka says that he believes Danganronpa is not over, and will probably eventually get a sequel
Thought I should post this here
That's reassuring. Though I wonder how it'll play out. I remember in one interview, Kodaka mentioned he'd be okay if someone else directed, but in another he said he'd like to come back. Did he change his mind or something?

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
That's reassuring. Though I wonder how it'll play out. I remember in one interview, Kodaka mentioned he'd be okay if someone else directed, but in another he said he'd like to come back. Did he change his mind or something?
I wouldn't be surprised if he did change his mind, he is quite possibly the closest thing to a "Mr. Danganronpa" so I'd see why he'd come back.

Also not capitalizing off of Danganronpa right now would be a waste of money.

Top Bottom