• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mascot of Despair, Monokuma Punishes the Competition!

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
I'd say it's more like DR2's setting with DR3 Future's rules ("kill someone else in hopes that it'll stop anyone else from dying tomorrow"). Still a bunch of Danganronpa nonetheless. All you have to do is replace that MonoMunna-looking creature with the real Monokuma!

Me comparing what I put out to this:

For real, though, part of me wants to argue that it's Smash being influential with the whole "invitation with a stylized red seal" thing, but I have no truth bullets evidence for it.
Even if it isn't news it's still some fun coincidence that I pointed out. Then again I feel like Smash and Danganronpa are having some ties being made with that Dragalia Lost stuff now coming to light... even if Dragalia Lost is developed by a different company than Nintendo.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Stopping in to say that I started watching a play through of the first Danganrompa game and love it. Was really unsure if I'd want Monokuma because I didn't think he'd have much of a moveset but I'm heading into class trial 2 right now and I see a solid one starting to come together that wouldn't just be punches and kicks. May end up buying the next ones for myself since I like it so much right now

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Pretty sure Monokuma would go over 1000x better with the general public who knows nothing about DanganRonpa than one of the generic episodic protagonists. He would stick out from the rest of the crowd heavily for both design and moveset, rather than being another token pretty anime face. I found him hilarious while playing the DR games, particularly DRV3, I would love to see him somehow show up in Smash.

GustavoAlves

Smash Cadet
Oh, now I released The Trial Grounds, a Danganronpa stage to accompany Monokuma.

The stage has eight songs, moving platforms, an alternative competitive layout, an exclusive remix (so it has that special Smash Bros. flair), and a dynamic soundtrack that mostly changes on the last stock.
The "death portraits" rotate around the stage and I think that's neat. And I tried to go for a pseudo-3d effect with the seats in the background.

When a character dies, it appears in the monitor in the Danganronpa pixel art style getting dragged by Monokuma like it's punishment time. Creators can create avatars of their own characters.

And if there's only one minute left in the match and certain songs are playing, the monitor plays the infamous "Let's Killing" animation.

Anyway, I'm talking about this because that's how I envision a Danganronpa stage in Smash, and I could kind of translate it to a similar game. Download and learn more about the stage here.

Last edited:

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Oh, now I released The Trial Grounds, a Danganronpa stage to accompany Monokuma.

The stage has eight songs, moving platforms, an alternative competitive layout, an exclusive remix (so it has that special Smash Bros. flair), and a dynamic soundtrack that mostly changes on the last stock.
The "death portraits" rotate around the stage and I think that's neat. And I tried to go for a pseudo-3d effect with the seats in the background.

When a character dies, it appears in the monitor in the Danganronpa pixel art style getting dragged by Monokuma like it's punishment time. Creators can create avatars of their own characters.

And if there's only one minute left in the match and certain songs are playing, the monitor plays the infamous "Let's Killing" animation.

Anyway, I'm talking about this because that's how I envision a Danganronpa stage in Smash, and I could kind of translate it to a similar game. Download and learn more about the stage here.
This looks great. I really like the idea of the Let's Kill Each Other video being played and would really like to see it in Smash Bros. itself as a video that plays while the match goes through Sudden Death.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
For anyone interested, GameXplain is doing a new "Game Club" (it's like a book club but with video games) on Trigger Happy Havoc. What makes this one interesting is that none of them have ever played a Danganronpa game before, meaning they're all going into this blind, which is always fun to watch. If any of you need an excuse to replay THH, now's your chance.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
For anyone interested, GameXplain is doing a new "Game Club" (it's like a book club but with video games) on Trigger Happy Havoc. What makes this one interesting is that none of them have ever played a Danganronpa game before, meaning they're all going into this blind, which is always fun to watch. If any of you need an excuse to replay THH, now's your chance.

Watch GameXplain make 10 minute Danganronpa theory videos after this lmao. Also, it's always fun seeing those who play Trigger Happy Havoc blind have their favorite be Sayaka immediately. They're in for a wild ride. I hope more in the Nintendo community gets a chance to play it, and in the context of Smash, I hope more people get to know who Monokuma is before he gets potentially revealed as a fighter. I wouldn't want to see too negative of a reaction from the Smash fanbase.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Watch GameXplain make 10 minute Danganronpa theory videos after this lmao. Also, it's always fun seeing those who play Trigger Happy Havoc blind have their favorite be Sayaka immediately. They're in for a wild ride. I hope more in the Nintendo community gets a chance to play it, and in the context of Smash, I hope more people get to know who Monokuma is before he gets potentially revealed as a fighter. I wouldn't want to see too negative of a reaction from the Smash fanbase.
A bit late but apparently GameXplain is doing this Game Club thing as more of a recap than a Let's Play, I don't know if it will get more people to watch it, but at least Danganronpa gets some kind of attention from a big Nintendo channel.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Aight boys, Jeff Grubb and the boys at ResetEra are saying that there's gonna be a Direct on August 28th.

Let's see if we get any hint about our despair bear in black and white.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me or does that look like a good meme format? I can easily see myself slapping that SPOLERS image on a most wanted getting deconfirmed or a least wanted getting confirmed.
I just cobbled up something quickly in paint.NET and did what I can, so I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really need to create more memes with Junko, Monokuma, and Danganronpa in general... perhaps a meme I make will kickstart a meme format.

Danganronpa just makes things funnier, naturally.

Another thing, I'm going to try to update this thread weekly as I feel I always have some new stuff to think of concerning Monokuma in Smash. I'm always yearning for new news and promises to share.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
imagine how sick Discussion -HOPE VS DESPAIR. would sound in smash
Yeah I find it a little disappointing that most tracklists for a theoretical DR Pack exclude it; it has the tension that the other two songs that are a part of it (HEAT UP and BREAK) dont, so I'd argue its a better fit for Smash.

Last edited:

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I find it a little disappointing that most tracklists for a theoretical DR Pack exclude it; it has the tension that the other two songs that are a part of it (HEAT UP and BREAK) dont, so I'd argue its a better fit for Smash.
There are also a disappointingly large amount of people that for some reason decide to not include DANGANRONPA (DR Version), which is the full version of the main theme, into their soundtrack picks. For some reason a lot of them decide to replace the theme with Climactic Return, which in my opinion, is a rather repetitive version of the main theme that doesn't have quite the same amount of "Danganronpa" than the main theme does, if you get what I'm saying.

I still think Class Trial Solar Edition from V3 is the best class trial song. It would fit perfectly into Smash.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Since it's relevant to us, Brawlfan1 just released a very... unique moveset for Monokuma.

No context spoiler: Pro Smash players will learn the true meaning of despair...

MintPepsi

Smash Cadet
Since it's relevant to us, Brawlfan1 just released a very... unique moveset for Monokuma.

Haven't seen this moveset yet but ngl I really don't like most of brawlfan1's moveset concepts so I doubt he pulled off a good one for our boy

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice

Alright, my thoughts:
  • JoJo fans would never shut up about Monokuma's Ora Ora jabs
  • Concerning the dash attack, I knew that this video would reference Ball Monokuma somewhere. It had to
  • The Monokub moves are hilarious.
  • The neutral special is a really nice idea, combining the many executions & UDG attacks
  • Not a big fan of how the side special is basically a clone of Wario's bike
  • The taunts are nice, although I think Monokuma would not just say "thrills, chills, kills" and would have a randomized set of voice lines that he could say.
  • Another thing I'm not a big fan of is how many randomized moves are for specials. They're nice references but they wouldn't be very wise when playing competitively
  • I never thought having a different Final Smash for every character would work. I'd rather have a set of 3 different types of cinematic Final Smashes that are randomized. Monokuma as Sephiroth is awesome though
  • I personally am against the idea of Junko appearing in any form, as her existence is a spoiler in itself. Although I would welcome it anyway
  • I think he should've talked about what the reveal trailer and the music selection would be
All in all, this is a rather well-rounded video. It's always unique seeing people's takes on what Monokuma would look and play like if he were to be in Smash.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
True, although I've seen a lot of "despair" over the inclusion.

Puhuhuhu... ;)
I'm actually just a slight bit relieved. Challenger Pack 7 was highly anticipated due to the unusually long hiatus in between CP6 and CP7. Monokuma would be very controversial being a character not all Nintendo fans are familiar with, and would be very disappointing for those who have no idea what the hell Danganronpa even is, especially among the hype that Crash and Steve had.

Hopefully that Alpharad stream of Danganronpa gets Nintendo fans to know why we want Monokuma in Smash.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Alright, let me say this.

At least Monokuma didn't get deconfirmed by a Mii costume. That's what matters to me right now lol.

Kirberus

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'd take that as opposed to nothing.

I'm not really convinced Monokuma's chances of being playable are that high...so I'm more open to the idea of a mii costume.
Well get prepared for "Smash Bros x Monokuma" instead of "Smash Bros x Danganronpa" because apparently all M-rated Mii costumes are getting that treatment for some reason.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Well get prepared for "Smash Bros x Monokuma" instead of "Smash Bros x Danganronpa" because apparently all M-rated Mii costumes are getting that treatment for some reason.
Only in the US, cause I checked the Nintendo UK and they showed the series logos instead. Probably something with ESRB.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
So much despair would be had if that were the case

Only in the US, cause I checked the Nintendo UK and they showed the series logos instead. Probably something with ESRB.
That's weird. Why does that happen for the Mii Outfits but not the Fighters (mainly Joker) though?

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
So much despair would be had if that were the case

That's weird. Why does that happen for the Mii Outfits but not the Fighters (mainly Joker) though?
I'm pretty sure the rule came out after Joker was released. The YouTube videos presenting each of the fighters ESRB at the start are.

:ultjoker::E10
:ulthero::E10-T
:ultbanjokazooie::E10
:ult_terry::E10-T
:ultbyleth::E10-T
:ultminmin: E10-T
Steve: E-E10

Top Bottom