• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
(Since I see a few sentimental posts here)

Alright, I'm a newcomer to most of these things. Smash Bros., Fire Emblem, you name it. But these two games from the latter caught my attention right after playing Awakening: FE6 and FE7.

I went through everything I possibly could with these two games and I did not regret it. They still rank among my favorite games with Majoras Mask, Pokemon Heart Gold and Drawn to Life. The characters were all so charming, too! I especially liked Marcus, Lillina, and Sain. However, Roy always stood out to me too. I felt like I could get him on some level for some reasons I don't want to mention. And since Smash was having DLC, plus Roy was a veteran, I figured, "Why not support him?"

After making this decision and knowing how vicious some communities could get, I was a little apprehensive in showing my support fully. I wasn't able to be around for the original days and was terrified of being accepted or not. You guys here, though, were very kind from what I could see before my first post. I decided to join in on the support and was met by kindness here. I still kind of have my fear of acceptance, but I want to thank you guys for supporting Roy even before I knew who he was and being such a nice community. This'll probably be my last post before signing off of this thread, I hope to see you all on the Roy boards! ^.^

EDIT: I really felt like most communities weren't accepting because of the s***feat that's the Minecraft community. I try to accept all of the new members, but they're all... annoying. I try not to be annoying, and now I understand the position some of those people were in in the MC community. Again, thank you so much guys.

EDIT2: Welp, just saw that paragraph issue lol.

Last edited:

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
you guys can probably turn this into a social thread now since Roy is going to be announced tomorrow 100%

Divemissile

Smash Apprentice
NNID
What_garbage
I feel bad for Sakurai, he probably wanted Roy and Ryu to be a big surprise, and we've known they're going to be in for 2 months now.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
There's already a Social thread in the Roy section.

I'll be moving the thread there still, but this will be locked/left as a "legacy" support thread.
Can you please prolong it to Monday or so?

We'd like Chrono to still finish his long speech post as a fanfare.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Seeing this thread moved here fills me with the hype mang.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Not too big on Roy. Even though he has some changes, but I'm hyped regardless. Congrats you guys. After with all the Lucina and Roy koopa scenarios, all of you deserved it. It goes to show anything could happen especially with all the support.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm with the idea that ChronoBound should be the one who should bring this thread's legacy to an end. When you're ready, Chrono!

royalblue

Smash Cadet
I second this! ;-; I would really like to hear what Chrono has to say!<3 Besides, I'll miss this thread. ;-;
I third this! Chrono has been my biggest inspiration the past two years or so when it came to supporting Roy.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
@ Ura Ura I am so glad to hear you like Roy's design. You were one of the most vocal people in the support thread, and someone who I believed was passionate to a fault about Roy being in his awakening design, and an awesomely revamped moveset.

When I saw the design change, I was worried because I remembered you said that you wouldn't even buy him if he had the same design. This wasn't the same, but it wasn't the exact awakening design you imagined.

I was hoping that you instead were waiting for the official reveal, there was no way you couldn't have already seen it, an announcement about the leak at the very least.

I'm also waiting for the official trailers for everything, from the previously leaked KT game, to these Smash Trailers.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
@ Ura Ura I am so glad to hear you like Roy's design. You were one of the most vocal people in the support thread, and someone who I believed was passionate to a fault about Roy being in his awakening design, and an awesomely revamped moveset.

When I saw the design change, I was worried because I remembered you said that you wouldn't even buy him if he had the same design. This wasn't the same, but it wasn't the exact awakening design you imagined.

I was hoping that you instead were waiting for the official reveal, there was no way you couldn't have already seen it, an announcement about the leak at the very least.

I'm also waiting for the official trailers for everything, from the previously leaked KT game, to these Smash Trailers.
No, I think you might have misunderstood what I posted lol. I said that I wouldn't buy him if the model (from the fake bogus 3DS leak on Friday) were true or at least protest the decision if he came out like that.

I tried to stay away from Smash news and whatnot but I had to give in to my craving of seeing Roy and Ryu in the game lol. I still haven't watched the trailer so there's still going to be a lot of surprises for me when I watch it.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
No, I think you might have misunderstood what I posted lol. I said that I wouldn't buy him if the model (from the fake bogus 3DS leak on Friday) were true or at least protest the decision if he came out like that.

I tried to stay away from Smash news and whatnot but I had to give in to my craving of seeing Roy and Ryu in the game lol. I still haven't watched the trailer so there's still going to be a lot of surprises for me when I watch it.
I'm laughing at that the thought of that leak now.
That really did look awful.

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman

So glad to know I misunderstood. And I'll be somewhat surprised too. Also, hoping Dreamland 64 is a 3DS DLC Stage. I play in weekly Smash 3DS tournaments, and I can guarentee that this would be a common starter/counterpick of mine.

Threedede

Smash Rookie
I was going to come in and be all "lol, thirded, get it?" But I'm not the third to say, "Yeah, let Chrono post the thing he's preparing." I think that should be the end post.
Also, crying, and dying.

Boot covers why? Only problem, imo. Boot coverless alts or no buy

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492
So. I went to bed last night right before all this blew up. Then I had to work all day. Figures, eh?

Lemme say that my posting about Roy may have winded down, but I'm just as happy and hype as anyone about this. I haven't posted much here especially, but I looked around this thread from time to time. I did, however, miss this.

Thought you guys might like this.

I don't even drink Coke but I just couldn't resist. It's going to be my victory drink the day Roy comes back.
Fancy that, I actually had the same thing in mind.. Had to hunt a little for it though, but I eventually found one.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Some today, little more when he's formally introduced...and the rest when I'm playing him and lighting up For Glory. Cheers, buddy

Love the new design, only thing that bothers me a little is the tattered cape at the edges. It's badass and all but to me it doesn't really scream "Roy." Though I suppose it could signify a lot of things...like the battles he's been through, literally and figuratively, Elibe and the haters and detractors alike.

Also love the touch on the FS trophy. To me, it's always been that Meta Knight pretty much stole Roy's place in the Brawl SSE, so there's a little sweet vindication. Anyone else notice that?

So I thought I'd have more to say, but all in all I think everyone's pretty much said it all for me. Just happy, nostalgic, hype...the list goes on. It may not have been too much here, but I've fought a lot for Roy (mostly on gfaqs...bleh). Email, the ballot.. I'm just glad to be part of the support...the support that's finally come full circle. It's been 7 years coming (since Brawl). Roy's our boy! Or maybe in this case...man. It's like we grew up together :p

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
Since it looks like Ryu and roy were meant to be unveiled at E3 im gonna GUESS its gona be a while before we Actually get them. Maybe we will get them After an announcment like how they do some of the nintendo directs. "This will be availiable.. Right after this Live direct."
Personally I do hoep I have some time to go..
[blodostained took all my cash I only have enough for ONE dlc character.. dont make me have to chose between THOSE three. pls... -ear droop-]

royalblue

Smash Cadet
So. I went to bed last night right before all this blew up. Then I had to work all day. Figures, eh?

Lemme say that my posting about Roy may have winded down, but I'm just as happy and hype as anyone about this. I haven't posted much here especially, but I looked around this thread from time to time. I did, however, miss this.

Fancy that, I actually had the same thing in mind.. Had to hunt a little for it though, but I eventually found one.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Some today, little more when he's formally introduced...and the rest when I'm playing him and lighting up For Glory. Cheers, buddy

Love the new design, only thing that bothers me a little is the tattered cape at the edges. It's badass and all but to me it doesn't really scream "Roy." Though I suppose it could signify a lot of things...like the battles he's been through, literally and figuratively, Elibe and the haters and detractors alike.

Also love the touch on the FS trophy. To me, it's always been that Meta Knight pretty much stole Roy's place in the Brawl SSE, so there's a little sweet vindication. Anyone else notice that?

So I thought I'd have more to say, but all in all I think everyone's pretty much said it all for me. Just happy, nostalgic, hype...the list goes on. It may not have been too much here, but I've fought a lot for Roy (mostly on gfaqs...bleh). Email, the ballot.. I'm just glad to be part of the support...the support that's finally come full circle. It's been 7 years coming (since Brawl). Roy's our boy! Or maybe in this case...man. It's like we grew up together :p
Niiiiice! Looks like I'm not the only one who had a victory drink planned. I put mine in the fridge this morning after all the leaks started surfacing. I'm saving mine for his official announcement.

Mmmmm it's gonna be so sweet.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
IT IS HAPPENING ROY IS HERE! Dude he is so quick, he is gonna be a high tier man I am telling you. His dancing blade looks like it kills early, he looks like he can combo easily off of his throws, he keeps good marth traits while keeping his own. TOO MUCH HYPE!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Everyone who mocked Roy in Melee is going to have to eat their words come his release!

It's going to be absolutely delicious!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Niiiiice! Looks like I'm not the only one who had a victory drink planned. I put mine in the fridge this morning after all the leaks started surfacing. I'm saving mine for his official announcement.

I wanted to customize a bottle with the name "Marth & Roy"... but Share A Coke doesn't ship to Canada.

Oh well, I'll just buy a two-four and celebrate once he's officially revealed. :estatic:

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492

Got that right.

And on the subject of Ryu, no Ken alt? Like wtf, I'll probably hardly play him now haha.

And on that note, it's kind of funny that I have a thing for some ph1r3 attribute characters like that. In "fantasy" settings fire is usually my least favorite attribute, bar none. It's cool though, Roy's got that aspect covered for me.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So I was gone camping yesterday and today... and I had no service on my phone. I wasn't worried because I knew I would be back home by Sunday. So on the way home I finally get service, check MyNintendoNews, and scream in joy. MY BOY IS BACK!!!!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Can you please prolong it to Monday or so?

We'd like Chrono to still finish his long speech post as a fanfare.
I was was aiming for the official announcement/release (if not immediately, then on Tuesday, when the Nintendo Digital Event airs)

But that would be fine as well. If nothing else, he could always message me to unlock it/get the post in.

BIG SPEECH INCOMING!!

Thank you guys for this whole ride. I made mistakes here and there. I still feel a bit weird about them, but I look forward to a future where I avoid making them again. I was stubborn from day 1 of Japanese 3DS copies being streamed about the idea of Roy Koopa and Lucina replacing our boy. Even further with Lucina’s reveal. I didn’t buy that nonsense. It sometimes got me down, through all the Roy Koopa jokes I honestly never found funny with how prevalent they became, and how many people were ignorant on the notion of Lucina replacing Roy, but now we killed two birds with one stone, especially since people will have the ability to play Roy and Lucina side-by-side to see how they are very, very wrong.

I had hope in him being DLC before Mewtwo (and Mewtwo largely revived my efforts and hopes, motivating me to create a website and reach out more) and I knew I had to fight and continue on with my stubbornness. I knew wanting this character back since 2010 when I experienced who he was as a character made him felt like a real, human comrade alongside life and tough times in high school, helping me get through that and college with multiple playthroughs of a wonderful game and a wonderful story, and that was the magic certain Fire Emblem characters had on me that unfortunately many will never know. Now’s their chance with Roy! He seems appealing in many aspects that others on the roster do not possess, things I found through research and hard critical thinking that many will learn to love him at least as a fighter for, and even more opportunities that based Sakurai gave us! I knew that it was much better to act once mid and late 2014 rolled around rather than just sitting around and letting us be mocked and ultimately not letting us see a character we all love return.

I waded through so many Roy Koopa jokes. So many third Marth complaints. So many fifth Fire Emblem rep complaints. So much sword character hatred. So many excuses on relevancy and how “nobody likes Roy” or “true Fire Emblem fans should hate Roy or push for other characters.” How there’s “more deserving” reps I should push instead. How I should just go play Project M when I personally dislike how his face looks and his lazy Luigification there where they probably rolled dice a few times on moves to replace, and chose unnatural replacements for them. I saw so much more potential than his Project M design, and it was realized without alienating anyone. So many complaints about how he’d be poor Fire Emblem representation. So many people who said he’d return with a poor port of his Melee design, or a complete Dr. Mario overhaul of his old moveset, and that he’d be trash. All of those are in the past and he’s shown himself as some of the best DLC representation period, the only DLC character so far with a new design and moveset makes him stand as pretty much a newcomer on his own, like I’ve always said or told people to believe in. His new moveset looks so much stronger than what we’ve had in the past, and much more promising than his Project M iteration. Anyone who still whines about the DLC not being specifically catered towards them is nothing but that, and hopefully they’ll learn to be optimistic in due time about how fun Roy looks, with his monstrous movement and damage output. I know there are those not sold on Roy, and I want to convince them to pick him up, try him on a buddy’s setup, or even pay for them to experience Roy.

Thank you guys for being as stubborn as I am. For providing a safe haven for someone like myself who looked to Roy and his game as a means for powering through tough years, a game I still enjoy and look forward to playing again now that life has settled down and become a lot easier. I enjoyed playing as Roy in Melee and Project M, but I saw so much more potential in his design and moveset, potential largely wasted by Melee and Project M that I constantly pushed to Nintendo through so many ideas. Through e-mails, many social media outlets, Miiverse, phone calls, and just spreading the word in general to folks outside that. 2013 and 2014 were awful years for me, and I looked to fix that with 2015. Thanks to you guys and our countless allies across the world, I was able to realize that dream and our mutual dream. We live in a world where dreams are achieved through hard work, and there’s a few faucets I’m going to go into that prove the many ways our hard work paid off.

First of all, Roy’s new design. When I saw @ Adeptmune Adeptmune 's original line art of the combined designs, I instantly loved it and asked for permission to send it into the ballot. From there, she was motivated to color it. I sent in the original line art, sent in the colored art again to the ballot, then continued pushing that design hard and spread it everywhere. More people spread it, and the concept of combining designs or having both. You guys were one of the biggest parts in realizing that dream, so many of you liked the idea of a combined design or Roy having both designs that we saw this dream come true, through hard work.

We also pushed really hard to see palettes of our favorite Elibe heroes in Smash. The thread itself, the website, our Facebook group, and a few of my buddies all quickly suggested a bunch of great ideas on character representation, and what it’d look like. A lot of it was ballot and other electronic feedback through many of us. We all created our own palettes, and I’m extremely overjoyed to see my two favorite Fire Emblem characters alongside Roy, Eliwood and Marcus, become represented within one of the world’s biggest video game franchises, through pushing so hard for them to see representation. I pushed them so hard, I at least wanted to represent Eliwood with his genes, and Marcus was always a heroic figure to me and Pherae’s household overall so I used that to appeal the idea of him being a palette. I ran a page called Lord Eliwood from 2011 to 2015 and intend to revive it soon, and Marcus being godly has always been pushed via my posts and I even did a few streams in 2013 where I solo’d FE7 and hacked him into FE8 to solo that game, which ended up being fantastic streams. I’ve always used Eliwood as additions to usernames, such as Twitch, my NNID, Twitter, Facebook, Skype, Steam, etc. More proof that dreams and concepts come true via hard work, we didn’t just sit around and wait for our dreams to come true. The hype and speculation of Elibe’s most knightly figures a few weeks or months back, with Percival and Marcus being discussed as palettes, and seeing them come to life is even more proof.

Most of all! This is where our effort came into play most, where we laughed in the face of the haters and won from the in-game content itself. They said he would never get a new design or moveset. We got an original Smash design, and a very satisfying declone/Luigification that is everything it needed to be. Roy has the tools he needs to defeat the haters single-handedly, through his design, render pose, moveset, and just how satisfying he looks. I’ve always been pushing the idea of Roy growing alongside Marth and Ike, along with many others, realizing his true potential. He now possesses so much newfound speed, power, and passion that Melee or no Brawl mod has ever captured. This is what I envisioned all along, this is what kept my faith going every time I was told he would be nothing but a third Marth. He truly is the hero of Binding Blade, the only one to surpass his previous lords and even Hartmut himself as a hero.

Seeing a design I pushed hard, seeing palettes I pushed hard, and seeing a new moveset which I pushed hard for realize themselves within one of the largest video game series itself through many ideas we worked on together and culminated feels wonderful. This truly is one of the best moments of my life, and it’s over a damn video game character. It’s because of you guys and how much I was able to rely on you. It’s because of how much I stood up for this, critically thought, and created or planted seeds in ideas that had so much potential we finally see now. You guys are real friends to any company fortunate enough to discuss more meaningful things with you and I hope more people see your potential just as much as I’ve seen in both you guys and Roy. I feel love for all of you, even those who I have wronged and let my emotions get the best of me over. I’m glad those of you I have wronged still forgave me and continued to be a part of our Royvolution. I look forward to our future with the new Roy board and many more posts and time with you guys, this time without needing the grunt work. We built up strong bonds through our hardships and hard work, and this is only the beginning. Roy is only step 1.

I would say Roy became a Hero (and you guys, and even myself, I never thought I had the potential to do something this large and now I have inspiration to tackle my goals of game design and becoming a teacher again. Thank you. This is the first time I’ve shed tears in years, simply typing this, even recent family deaths and seeing goals come true didn’t get the waterworks going at all, so I’ll have to stop typing soon.) We live in a world where hard work realizes itself, in the right ways. The right kind of world. Thinking about that concept and you guys is hitting me hard, man.

Thank you @ Croph Croph , Jordan from The Royvolution Facebook group who got me into all this in the first place and was one of my most supportive friends in life who I've had countless deep discussions with on many topics, and @ChronoBound for being here much more than I have, sticking with this all years longer than I have. The difference between you guys and myself is that I couldn’t have thought of a single justifiable reason for Roy to return until 2014 despite wanting him since 2010, and you guys have years worth of work and a legacy that realized itself. ChronoBound, it seriously feels like you’re a much more responsible, well-built version of myself from a different timeline, and I’ve had that eerie feeling for quite a while. The more I read your old posts and look at what I’ve come up with through critical thinking and research, the more it feels like someone sent us both as heroes through time to get a character in a video game. The most eerie thing is, Thracia 776 and The Binding Blade have both been my top two favorite Fire Emblems since completing the series in mid-2013. Great minds, eh? We still have more to do, though. Once again, I thank you as true leaders. I also thank Matt from The Royvolution for stepping up to the plate so well, he's now one of our most confident members who is willing to take leadership when Roy hate crippled him in the past. You are wonderful leaders and I know you both have more to lead for the world’s good.

Instead of tagging a bunch of people, I’m gonna inbox a link to this post to more people when I have the time. More of you guys, my true friends here who helped me realize my goals. This will let me avoid missing anyone in a post I can’t afford to. You all gave me much more than I asked for, as friends and heroes willing to deal with as much as we did on this whole ride. Thank you.

-Mason

Last edited:

PWN3

Smash Apprentice
Might as well throw in my thoughts on the matter. Can't hurt, right?

I'm far from being an active or vocal member of the Smashboards community, but Roy was always a character I wanted to return. Way back in 2003 when I first played him in Melee, to say that I fell in love with the character would be an understatement. Roy was just so damn cool, which is something that most other Nintendo characters aren't. There was a certain novelty to how mysterious and brand new he was. I can still safely say that seeing Roy for the first time was one of my favourite gaming moments. Brawl came out a few years later, and I suppose I was disappointed that he was missing. I didn't think too much of it that he was gone; part of me figured he was a one-and-done character like Mewtwo and Young Link, and part of me figured that he wasn't overly popular as a character. Still, I would have liked to have my boy playable.

With Smash 4, knowing that he wasn't in the base game was -- to me -- the final nail in the coffin. I picked up Little Mac because I thought he played kinda similar, and I've had a blast with Mac ever since. Once we learnt that DLC was on the way, though, the gears in my mind started spinning like crazy. Maybe Roy was coming? Surely it's not just Mewtwo, right? I started thinking about it more and more as time went on. The day the ballot opened up, I realized that maybe he would actually come back.

Lo and behold, here he is! Obviously, we can't say for sure if the ballot meant anything towards Roy's inclusion, but I think it's the idea that's been making me so happy ever since the news hit. All of you guys -- and I mean this -- have had such an intense dedication to the eternal underdog of Smash. I think Roy more than any other character was the butt of jokes or the one to get the short end of the stick, yet you've never stopped supporting him. It's such an honest and passionate fanbase like this one that makes me happy to call myself a fan of the character, and it's such an honest and passionate fanbase that deserve a victory like this. I know how it feels to suffer through seven years of detractors bad-talking your boy.

Celebrate! Be proud! Be hype!

"Kurushii tatakai datta."
"It was a difficult fight."

Might as well throw in my thoughts on the matter. Can't hurt, right?

I'm far from being an active or vocal member of the Smashboards community, but Roy was always a character I wanted to return. Way back in 2003 when I first played him in Melee, to say that I fell in love with the character would be an understatement. Roy was just so damn cool, which is something that most other Nintendo characters aren't. There was a certain novelty to how mysterious and brand new he was. I can still safely say that seeing Roy for the first time was one of my favourite gaming moments. Brawl came out a few years later, and I suppose I was disappointed that he was missing. I didn't think too much of it that he was gone; part of me figured he was a one-and-done character like Mewtwo and Young Link, and part of me figured that he wasn't overly popular as a character. Still, I would have liked to have my boy playable.

With Smash 4, knowing that he wasn't in the base game was -- to me -- the final nail in the coffin. I picked up Little Mac because I thought he played kinda similar, and I've had a blast with Mac ever since. Once we learnt that DLC was on the way, though, the gears in my mind started spinning like crazy. Maybe Roy was coming? Surely it's not just Mewtwo, right? I started thinking about it more and more as time went on. The day the ballot opened up, I realized that maybe he would actually come back.

Lo and behold, here he is! Obviously, we can't say for sure if the ballot meant anything towards Roy's inclusion, but I think it's the idea that's been making me so happy ever since the news hit. All of you guys -- and I mean this -- have had such an intense dedication to the eternal underdog of Smash. I think Roy more than any other character was the butt of jokes or the one to get the short end of the stick, yet you've never stopped supporting him. It's such an honest and passionate fanbase like this one that makes me happy to call myself a fan of the character, and it's such an honest and passionate fanbase that deserve a victory like this. I know how it feels to suffer through seven years of detractors bad-talking your boy.

Celebrate! Be proud! Be hype!

"Kurushii tatakai datta."
"It was a difficult fight."
Always remember, just about all of the design choices that manifested within Roy are things that were sent into the Fighter Ballot. We made a difference from it, here's to a bright future. Beneath A New Light.

Last edited:

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
This is the most excited I've been for this game, ever. I mean, sure, I was excited about the game in general, and I was glad Ike was back, but Roy finally being here is like reliving your childhood. I can finally have a smash 4 main who I also mained in Melee. And that feels good.

Since Link was ruined in Brawl I hoped that Roy would one day return. That day has finally come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom