• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
The next time I use a computer I'm going to use mspaint on my avatar to turn Roy's frown upside down.

TomComics

Smash Rookie
NNID
TomComics_WiiU
I never thought I'd see this actually happen, I had hoped for this day for so long and it's finally here! So happy that Roy has been gotten some well damn deserved love to finally be playable again... and with him playable in Sm4sh means... ROY AMIIBO. I can only imagine what functionalities it will have in the future... hopefully for games like Fire Emblem if or even in Codename: STEAM, etc.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Oh gosh, all of your guy's speeches are making me cry again ;-; I can't wait to hear the rest, I hope I'll be able to read by the time they're done lol.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Congrats to getting your true boy back, Roy fans!

I am a little bit excited for him, too...tbh :)

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
Roy is the first character in smash I ever learned to play well. I am so happy to finally be able to play him again.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
While he wasn't first in line for me in terms of returning characters, it's definitely nice to have him back. What I'm looking forward to the most is the Awkward Zombie comic 3-4 weeks from now...

Steelia

Smash Champion
Story time, hmm?~

It's nearly 5 in the morning here, and my stomach is in knots. I haven't felt this excited since Mewtwo was going to be released... Feels like such a short time ago. I didn't think there'd be any character that'd ever make me feel like this again, but here we are, literally hours away from the Smash direct and my hype levels are already sky high.

So many fears pre-leak that plagued my mind,

Did his leaked victory theme truly confirm him?
Will he really be just a clone again?
Will his design look good?
Will his Final Smash be the same as Marth's and Lucina's?
Will Jun reprise his role?

... all gone. I don't care what the haters have to say anymore, or what people may think of me supporting this character. For a long time, I only liked him because of Melee, but in the last year or two finally decided to get a little more educated on him. Now he holds very dear memories for me. His game's not only the first FE I've completed (proper ending and all), but also the first me and my long-distance girlfriend played simultaneously, and her first non-MMORPG video game ever. What a treat.

Now our boy is all grown up, standing so confident and swinging his sword like a pro, among the pros. It feels like we're having a WELCOME BACK party for someone who has yet to arrive - but we know is just mere hours away from being on our doorstep. To me, it doesn't feel like I'm waiting for this fictional video game lord in a game where Mario can pummel Pikachu... It feels like I'm waiting for someone. And it's blowing my mind.

I'm pretty short on words since it's so early, but I really want to give a special Thank You to everyone in this thread who stood fast even much longer than me for supporting our boy. Your unwavering confidence and passion kept the flame alive; I'd argue Roy is second only behind K. Rool when it comes to organized support groups. Every YEAH! left on Miiverse, every Like left on FB... We did so not as individuals, but as one sword.

Victory.

ONE_SWORD.png

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Can you please prolong it to Monday or so?

We'd like Chrono to still finish his long speech post as a fanfare.
I second this! ;-; I would really like to hear what Chrono has to say!<3 Besides, I'll miss this thread. ;-;
I third this! Chrono has been my biggest inspiration the past two years or so when it came to supporting Roy.
I'm with the idea that ChronoBound should be the one who should bring this thread's legacy to an end. When you're ready, Chrono!
I was going to come in and be all "lol, thirded, get it?" But I'm not the third to say, "Yeah, let Chrono post the thing he's preparing." I think that should be the end post.
Also, crying, and dying.

Boot covers why? Only problem, imo. Boot coverless alts or no buy
I will try my best to finish what I want to say by Tuesday. It warms my heart that so many want to hear my post-mortem on Roy's support. It won't be particularly profound, but it will at least show the arduous journey we faced over the past 7.5 years.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I will try my best to finish what I want to say by Tuesday. It warms my heart that so many want to hear my post-mortem on Roy's support. It won't be particularly profound, but it will at least show the arduous journey we faced over the past 7.5 years.
Oh man, that already pumps me up. You've been around as long as I remember with other Roy-supporters too, so I'm looking forward to some unseen history.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It's neat seeing what changes Roy has gotten. Stuff like the explosion at the end of up-smash or the Ike-style down-air are great. Animation wise he looks really different, which is impressive. New voice lines are good, his HD model looks great... The cries of "5 Fire Emblems, 3 Marths" are nice too.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Looking forward to it.

This really feels like waiting for a Presidential Speech given after the election. :laugh:
roy.jpg

Yes, I added the explosions in the background 'cause why not.

:231:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Looking forward to it.

This really feels like waiting for a Presidential Speech given after the election. :laugh:
Yes, I added the explosions in the background 'cause why not.

:231:
Your a fan of Micheal Bay? Kappa.:4diddy:(hyped for Roy too...)

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
My story?

Simply put, Roy was my favourite of the two Fire Emblem characters we got in Melee for a number of reasons, the fire effects on his attacks, Fukuyama's voice clips for Roy and his crowd cheer of "Roy's our boy!" always made me laugh. Eventually I became more interested in the Fire Emblem series, but I never really played a game from the series until after Brawl was released - Sacred Stones was the first FE I played. At first, I didn't realise at first that Roy was absent from the game as a playable character and just went on, satisfied with Brawl. Nonetheless, he was still my favourite Fire Emblem Smasher out of trio we had during the Melee - Brawl era.

Eventually I learned that Roy was going to be DLC in Fire Emblem Awakening and fell in love with his new design, and that rekindled my desire to see him back again in Smash Bros - and he was always one of my most wanted characters before I joined SmashBoards, which included characters like Little Mac and Shulk since I'd played their games. Granted, Chrom was there too, and some :083: ideas like Nowi, but that's a nope.avi And when Smash 4 was going to be announced at E3 2013, I made a post on the E3 community wishing for Roy to be a playable character. Exploded with hype around 10:45 the following morning to see :4villager::4wiifit: and :4megaman: in the game, and kept following up to date with the reveals every now and then, but wasn't that vocal for Roy - but he was always my number one most wanted veteran.

As the reveals slowly fell into place and I got :4littlemac: in the game, the build-up leading towards the July reveal with a potential new character had me conflicted - Shulk, or Chrom? We got :4robinm: and :4lucina: - neither of them I had ever expected at all. Eventually I found my way here, curious about why Sakurai chose Robin over Chrom. Much later I decided to make an account and soon found the Roy thread, but by then it started to look downhill since Lucina was a clone of Marth. I still wanted Roy, but the people that called out on him as being the worst Lord in the series made me doubtful.

The ESRB leak was crazy - it ironically turned me against Shulk, one of my most wanted newcomers, and overall confused since I didn't see Ridley or Roy on that list, who were slowly becoming my most wanted by that time, not to mention the lack of the Ice Climbers was shocking, given that I was just talking about them on their thread saying that I was confident they'd return just seconds before I saw the images.

Thankfully once I saw Shulk in action when I saw the trailer, I realised 'How could I hate one of the characters I wanted the most?' I loved Xenoblade and could easily see Shulk in Smash Bros! Still held strong for Ridley, but it all started to fall apart when the game was leaked by the Twitch streamers who got the game early. Chorus Men down, King K. down, Ridley down, Ridley down, but seeing Roy's colours on Marth left me with the sense that Roy was gone.

The wait for news on the Wii U version was a dark time for many of us. I couldn't see the 50-Fact Extravaganza since I was on our Year 12 Retreat all the way out in Katoomba, but I
did somehow manage to wish the Space Pirates the best an entire day earlier than the direct. Timezones. :p Reason why I can't watch the direct tonight since it'll be midnight. I need sleep for the athletics carnival tomorrow morning.:tired:

Long story short, Mewtwo gave the Lycia Alliance one more chance, and we've made it. The Melee Musketeers are back in HD and 3D.:4mewtwo::4feroy::4drmario:
Thanks for surviving my wall of text. おやすみ(Nighty-night)

-Oh, and one last thing - Roy's my boy, Roy's your boy...

Roy is OUR BOY!!!:roymelee::roypm::4feroy: Welcome home, Roy!!!

Last edited:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I would like to leave my final thoughts on Roy being back, even though I haven't seen the leak videos, yet.

I joined Smashboards just about 4 Months ago, following the now infamous Rayman leak. I had lurked on the Snake, Roy, Rayman, and Wolf forums for about 2 months before joining. That "leak" and the heartbreak that followed, changed my stance on supporting characters. I wanted to become actively involved in supporting characters I wanted back in Smash, not just hoping for their return. I ended up mainly supporting Snake and Roy though, mostly because my knowledge on Rayman was lacking, and the Wolf thread, they were doing fine. I found that I couldn't contribute anything to their conversations.

I ended up supporting the characters I wanted back the most, Snake, who my friends all agreed on that we wanted back, then as all of my friends thought I was crazy, Roy. Just like most of you guys, I was introduced to Roy via Melee. I remember my struggle to unlock Marth, but not at all for Roy. For Marth, I'd been playing through Classic for all of the trophies, and ended up getting a Challenger Approaching Screen as Yoshi. Being exclusively a Link main back then, I thought I was a goner. However, I did unlock Luigi in Smash 64 using Yoshi, so I also thought I might have a chance. Turns out, the Marth was harder to beat than the Mario clone in Smash 64. I ended up unlocking Marth the next day, after having to quit a 4 player match early. I also learned that was the fastest way to get a Challenger Approaching Screen to reappear. This time, I was Link, and the outcome was much better. In video games, I have always been good with the sword characters, I figure it has to be the disjointed hitbox in fighters. I don't remember my battle to unlock Roy at all, I just know I won it immediately after clearing Classic as Marth. Like I said, I am good with sword characters, even though Marth took me another 5 years to figure out how to play.

Roy on the other hand, I was always better as, and I thought was even the better character over Marth in Melee. He seemed to pack more of a punch than Marth, and I also am partical to any red character or characters with flames. Roy had red hair, and the PH1R3!

Fast forward to when I get Brawl, and I was slightly disappointed Roy was gone, but was too causal to care at the time. I only mained Link, and Subspace Embassary slightly helped me fix that. It forced me to learn more characters. Its the only reason I can play Fox today, as I played 64 first, and the introduction of Side B's ruined my 64 secondary for me in Melee, Fox. So many SD's. I got slightly good as Ike, good enough to beat all of my friends, and just wrote Roy off as a Melee only thing. That he was replaced just like Ike was going to be in Smash 4.

And I was shocked when I saw Ike comeback in one of Sakurai's POTD. My hopes for Roy's return were amplified, and I wanted all of the FE fighters back together.

I forgot one piece of the timeline in this story. Back in January 2014, I found out about Project M. Its selling point to me was that Roy and Mewtwo were back, Doc too in some capacity. And again, I did better with Roy than I did Marth. Project M did raise my hopes for Roy in Smash 4, but I thought this was a (beautiful, amazing) hack. Roy isn't going to come back.

Well, yes he did. Roy really did comeback, and I have to say, I love his new design and I will be playing as him in Smash 3DS(Don't own a Wii U) as soon as he launches, which will hopefully be in less than an hour.

I also plan to stick around the Roy boards more than any other board. I can't seem to find anywhere else to call home in a sense on Smashboards. I feel like an outsider, even on the Link boards, but I know I'll be welcomed in the social here.

I guess all I have left to say is, Welcome Back Roy. You've been missed very much. And guess what? Even though you are grown up, you are still our boy.
:4feroy:

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
hes out.. now.. -blink blink- He, Ryu, and Lucas, are all out now..
-squeek-
and I only have 13 dollars.. X_X nyaarrr
Maybe there is a deal for multiple characters? please?
Seriously.. I set an alarm and Everythign to get up and watch that Direct.. WAS AWESOME hid the chat though.. WAY to many stupid spammy people.
[its the internet what did you expect?]

ALSO ROY punching Roy!! YESS!!!

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492
Well now it's official. Kind of can't believe it, but here it is, after all this time.

I charged money to my account as soon as his video started haha.

ZRoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4868-5857
OUR BOY ROY IS FINALLY HERE!!!! AGHH ALL THAT TIME WAITING AND WE FINALLY GET HIM. Such a suprise we get him today! So unexpected (even with the leak). Congrats everyone one supporting our boy! We did it! WE FINALLY DID IT!

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
There's extremely high traffic right now from everyone trying to buy the DLC.
Yeah... Dayum This will take a while. Oh well, should have subsided in ~1 hour...i hope... I need to play Roy and Ryu like NOW.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Gonna make a short write up on my final thoughts once I get back (going out of town for the day) sometime at the end of today perhaps. Haven't even watched the Smash direct (only Roy's trailer lol) yet so I'll be sure to watch it once I'm back. Can't wait for Chrono's though!

Looking at everything... I'm going to need to add some funds in my eShop account. @_@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom