• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
*sigh* Having a very hard time getting him! T.T

Blax

Smash Rookie
I promised myself I would sign in Smashboards when Roy would be officially back... back in the Pre-Brawl day (Yes I'm lurking since then) So here I am, alongside My favorite boy. Thanks for everything all of you have done in these past few years, it's because of all of you that I never lost hope about his return (Special thanks to Snakey/Chronoboound, you are awesome).

Now time to buy him before the Eshop collapses for good

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492

As much of a ladies' man as ever.. that's my boy. We grew up together in more ways than one :p (I see it as WFT is swooning or whatever, and ZSS is the next target...)

Any time now, eshop....

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I'm playing Roy.

And I'm loving how he is now.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I just upgraded the 3DS version, the Wii U is still in download, but it seems I can't log in the eshop...

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I *think* I got him, but I'm waiting for the game itself to do the update.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Alright, finally got them. Of course Roy's gonna be my main alongside Shulk, and I'll also definitely use Lucas and Ryu.

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I already know Roy's going to be my main. His moves just feel so smooth for my playstyle, just like in Melee. And he's not a full clone. Today is probably one of the best days regarding video games ever.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its surreal to finally play as Roy in a new iteration of Smash Bros. after so many years. I put most of my effort for character support towards Roy in the interim between Brawl and Smash 4. Upon retrospect, I probably should have been more invest in the Ridley fanbase than I was, otherwise it may not have gotten so ugly and grasping at straws towards the end as it did.

However, Roy's return has surpassed my expectations. Not only is his re-design amazing, but the moveset was Luigi-fied to a larger extent than I was expecting. All of his ground A-moves with the exceptions of his Smash-Up, Smash-Down, and d-tilt are different from Marth/Lucina. Well done Sakurai, well done. Looks like another detractor point ended up getting debunked, namely they said he would be a straight port of his Melee self and that Lucas, Doc, and Mewtwo were proof of that.

Its very nice to have Lucas back (Mother 3 is an amazing game, and Lucas is a great character himself, and Ryu himself is a gaming legend on par with Smash's other guests, and has a rather inventive moveset.

Its truly something. I remember just a few months ago how there was this private DLC support group, and I asked for the group to include Roy in the group, and almost every member voted no, and said that he basically had no chance so there was basically no point in supporting him.

Despite having so much thrown at us, we ultimately won. Honestly, I was pretty demoralized nearly a year ago after the Lucina unveil, but I still thought he had a chance as DLC. Thank you everyone and thank you Sakurai for bringing Roy back.

I also like how Sakurai said he brought back Lucas and Roy due to their popularity. Another detractor point that went out the window right there.

Its really hard to believe this day finally came. This is not my Roy post-mortem, just my thoughts on Smash 4 Roy and the long, long awaited return.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
How are you guys approaching with Roy?
His neutral attack is amazing for shield pressure and mixups, he also has a good approach with his fair.

Edit: I've uploaded a video of my Roy. My skills with him from Melee and P:M passed over quite quickly with a bit of practice.
What do you all think? I hope it helps! ^-^
Also, yeah...my camera was flipped xD

Opinions? ^_^

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Its surreal to finally play as Roy in a new iteration of Smash Bros. after so many years. I put most of my effort for character support towards Roy in the interim between Brawl and Smash 4. Upon retrospect, I probably should have been more invest in the Ridley fanbase than I was, otherwise it may not have gotten so ugly and grasping at straws towards the end as it did.

However, Roy's return has surpassed my expectations. Not only is his re-design amazing, but the moveset was Luigi-fied to a larger extent than I was expecting. All of his ground A-moves with the exceptions of his Smash-Up, Smash-Down, and d-tilt are different from Marth/Lucina. Well done Sakurai, well done. Looks like another detractor point ended up getting debunked, namely they said he would be a straight port of his Melee self and that Lucas, Doc, and Mewtwo were proof of that.

Its very nice to have Lucas back (Mother 3 is an amazing game, and Lucas is a great character himself, and Ryu himself is a gaming legend on par with Smash's other guests, and has a rather inventive moveset.

Its truly something. I remember just a few months ago how there was this private DLC support group, and I asked for the group to include Roy in the group, and almost every member voted no, and said that he basically had no chance so there was basically no point in supporting him.

Despite having so much thrown at us, we ultimately won. Honestly, I was pretty demoralized nearly a year ago after the Lucina unveil, but I still thought he had a chance as DLC. Thank you everyone and thank you Sakurai for bringing Roy back.

I also like how Sakurai said he brought back Lucas and Roy due to their popularity. Another detractor point that went out the window right there.

Its really hard to believe this day finally came. This is not my Roy post-mortem, just my thoughts on Smash 4 Roy and the long, long awaited return.
*Noogies you*

Enjoy your boy now. I'm so enjoying him too, along with so many others.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I love what they have done with him and he is no longer a clone (for the most part)

Roy's our boy!

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
I am missing out for real! I see that Roy and Ryu and Lucas are in the Wii U eShop. I wish I had the chance to get somewhere and download those 3, but only if I had everyday wifi access.

Roy, you are so awesome! I'm got to download Roy and Ryu's reveal trailers for offline view since I don't have internet at all.

So has anyone completed Classic Mode and other modes with the three DLC characters yet? Is it affecting online like Mewtwo once did in version 1.0.6.?

@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 Can you repost the artwork you mentioned two post ago? I remember it, but I have no idea where it would be in the thread.
Here it is in its full glory. I believe I sent it in a few days beforehand when it was line art.

That video made me just a little bit salty, not going to lie. Mostly because I'm 100% tired of that joke.

@ Croph Croph -- yeah! I actually have a postcard that has prototype Roy on it. He looks so young! xD

@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 -- I finished the thing tonight. My eyes are bleeding. (You're welcome. |D)
I don't want to touch my drawing tablet for the next 500 years.
Safe to assume that even if a mashup Roy didn't get used, I would be 100% for it if it ever happened in a new FE game, lmfao.
Did you know that the Mercenaries in Awakening wear shorts and really tall stockings? And then boots? They have funny fashion sense.

edit: also if anyone has colour palette swap ideas lmfao that would be fun seeing as though i have everything separated jic

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Sons of the Binding Blade's wielder!

Congratulations on your boy getting back into the game! It's fantastic to see what community support can do for a beloved character. But my true purpose for venturing here, is to ask for a favor. Much like you, myself and other members of my clan are suffering. Our leader has left for unknown reasons, and although his departure may have been recent, it would be a shame if history were to repeat itself and cause him to never return, or be away for so long that many lose hope.
I am, of course, speaking of :wolf:

We beseech you, help us support his return to the series, we would be eternally grateful.
#FreeWolf http://smashboards.com/threads/cant-let-you-cut-me-sakurai-wolf-for-dlc.324209/ #FreeWolf

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Roy really plays amazingly smooth. His buffs in speed and strenght are almost unreal. He's doing a ton of damage, has gotten new moves, and wow I just love playing as Roy! He's an extremely fun character, and am sure he's probably the best Fire Emblem character in the game now.

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
Roy went borderline-Starkiller, now. So, how can you persuade someone to main him?

P.S.: I referenced Starkiller since the guy's attacks involve using his sword in a reverse grip.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
it's odd, i was against Roy and kept wondering why the hell everyone wanted marth with a bad/nonsensical tipper mechanic. That said i ended up loving the new Roy's playstyle and he honestly feels smoother to me than any other character i've tried. Definitely think he may usurp MetaKnight as my main as this is the most fun i've had in smash 4 in a long time.

Last edited:
I'm really mad that Roy came back as a clone.

Of Starkiller and Ventus.

I'm really pleased with his Luigification/declone! It's such a satisfying "told you so" when people said Roy was gonna be ported straight over and complained about that while I said it can change with feedback and I told them to send feedback in if it's such a huge issue to them. There were so many cases of me having to say this and putting it on the royforsmash4 website itself probably helped.

I actually really like all those new animations, though, especially the reverse grip ones. I never thought of Roy reverse gripping before the new design, but the SoS in his sprite animations moves pretty smoothly through his hands, so it's a weclome change.

I've been finding some really dumb stuff off throws/jab/tilts/aerials that are working out really well in the lab and the few matches I got to play today. Soooooo many spikes. My first kill with Roy in an actual match was a 0 to death with his spike as a finisher :grin:

Last edited:

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
I am loving how Roy handles. I do have a few complaints, like his range, but I'm oddly okay with them. Having a shorter range than Marth means you have to get closer in, meaning you have less of a chance of a sour spot attack... So it all works out I guess. The only thing I really can gripe about is how slow flare blade swings, making 2006 era edgeguards very difficult. To be fair though, he is so much better than before.

He really is incredible. Playing him online with a friend who was learning Ryu was the most fun I've had in smash in a very long time. He's better than Robin. He's better than Lucina. He's better than Ike. He might just be better than Marth too.

I'm very satisfied.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Hey all, first time posting here.

My only two complaints:
1. His DED isn't the one from Melee. If they wanted to differentiate him from Marth, they could have kept it.
2. No alternate Kakusei armor (the version seen in FE: Awakening.)
Loving his playstyle and purple skin though. Sexyyyyyy!

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Yoooooo.... They messed up his flare blade.... That was my favorite move and now it's close to useless...

Other than that (and a little shorter than I'd like grab range) Roy is pretty nice.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
What are the Roy fundamentals to know on Day 1? I'm watching the bnb combo video now, but what else is important?

For the sake of specifics, I'd like to learn his auto-cancels first so I know which moves to use without getting punished hard.

Last edited:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I get goose bumps whenever I win a match in FG, I don't know what it is about the japanese that gets me hyped.

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice
Well, I haven't really done anything here since pre-Brawl, but with Roy back I feel like I have no choice to come back. So, Suichimo teturns to Smashboards.

Yoooooo.... They messed up his flare blade.... That was my favorite move and now it's close to useless...

Other than that (and a little shorter than I'd like grab range) Roy is pretty nice.
How so? Can it still edgeguard like a boss?

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
Also I think someone else also mentioned it here already but his dtilt not popping people up anymore is kinda disappointing. I was so used to that.

Oh well. I also got very used to using dtilt with Lucina as a spacing tactic, I guess that will carry over.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
I have few words.. just..
that final smash.. pure joy...
having Roy and Lucas back. Just makes everything ok.. gotta wait till friday to get ryu? Oh hehe.. thats fine man..

Oh yeah and while muking around I found out thatRoy can counter Bombomb blasts and explosions. o.O can the others do that too?

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
ROY IS SUCH A BEAST!! He is my new main :) he seams mid-high tier to me. Although I have played 15 battle so who knows :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom