• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just speculating, but I think maybe they decided to announce Lucas's release date now so that they can focus entirely on the potential characters that are going to be revealed at E3. I personally think it's going to be Roy, Wolf, and Ryu.

Either way, I'm also really excited for Lucas. He was one of my favorites in Brawl, and I missed the little guy.
That's exactly what I thought. I'm excited for more time spent on new games or fighters in the Direct. I can see them simply being like "ohhey we got these kewl new fighters, btw lucas is out already buy him" for like 0.2 seconds.

https://twitter.com/masoneliwood/status/607000600971112448

Here's what we need to boost the odds of a proper declone of Roy. More ballot feedback and just encouraging others who complain about Roy's clone status whenever he's mentioned to give feedback, because it's how we can beat the "third Marth" problem and such. I would like this decade to be much better for Roy and us than the last. It's at least PM Luigification I have in mind, but I'd still be happy if he got in with Dr. Mario treatment.

--

Wooooo first page 121 post!

--

Here's a post from @ Croph Croph in the Facebook group:

"So I attempted to make something. I really hope one day Nintendo will put FE6 on VC or remake the game (or even a sequel). Because Roy deserves to be properly introduced in the West! And here's hoping Roy's inclusion would help increase the chances for a FE6 remake (or whatnot) to be green-lit!"

Last edited:

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
I dunno why people are talking about making characters move the same way that tehy were programmed in by a group of Custom smash fans.
PM may be a neat program but I dont see why nintendo would focus any of its ttention on making characters move the way a FAN GROUP made them move in a hacked game.
Id be much happier seeing Roy do what Dr mario did, which was use a move set purposly based on their last appearance.
That's some really great logic right there!
Dr. Mario got many tweaks that distanced him from Mario in SSB4, like the addition of a Luigi style sweetspot-Up-B, and of course he still has the Mario Tornado plus original dair while Mario doesn't. I'd be really happy if this was the way Roy was decloned, small little tweaks that make a big difference, but may not be noticed at first.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I'm so hyped that it's looking likely for Roy to return. Roy was my boy in Melee. I maybe a Captain enthusiast for the most part, but I main Roy in Melee. That's how much I liked his character as a concept. His Dtilt is just one of those moves man. I feel great whenever I do something sick with Roy. I think the new mechanics will help him a lot too if he comes back. If he comes back he's gotta have his fast dtilt though. It would be a great loss to the series if that move went away.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
This is just speculating, but I think maybe they decided to announce Lucas's release date now so that they can focus entirely on the potential characters that are going to be revealed at E3. I personally think it's going to be Roy, Wolf, and Ryu.

Either way, I'm also really excited for Lucas. He was one of my favorites in Brawl, and I missed the little guy.
It's a good thing I saved the e3 countdown website just to look at the countdown while offline, and we have nine days left before Nintendo's E3 conference. Here's an E3 countdown website, find Nintendo's where it says 9 days: http://www.e3countdown.com/

I'm also glad that there was a direct last month that brought up the release date for Lucas. I wish I could download Lucas on June 14th, but it seems I going to have to have to download him on the 28th of June since that's when I'll have everyday access to very fast WiFi.

Of course, Roy, Wolf, and Ryu! I expect a Roy trailer to be there in the 16th of June along with Wolf. I'm going to be really happy and excited with Roy when I see and watch his reveal trailer!

The week beginning the 14th of June will be one of the best weeks for us. On the 14th, Lucas will finally be released for many people to be downloaded into their games. Then, on the 16th, I think Roy and Wolf will be the first two announced. And finally, on the 18th, Ryu would be announced, saving the best for last!

Last edited:

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
As much as I'd love Wolf to return, he'd be a true surprise. We have no evidence of his existence, unlike Roy and Ryu. Although it would make sense to bring him back with Star Fox U on the horizon.

SSB4 Roy Pharae

Smash Apprentice
As much as I'd love Wolf to return, he'd be a true surprise. We have no evidence of his existence, unlike Roy and Ryu. Although it would make sense to bring him back with Star Fox U on the horizon.
I really want Wolf announced as well. His sound file may have not been shown, but still, I am hoping for him at E3. Wolf is my favorite Star Fox character. I recently unlocked a Wolf trophy from the Trophy Shop and it gave me a great look on my face based on how he looked.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/File:WolfTrophyWiiU.png

The way how Wolf looked in the trophy really impressed me, and I am awaiting his return and how he will look in SSB4 along with Roy and Ryu!

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Here's what we need to boost the odds of a proper declone of Roy. More ballot feedback and just encouraging others who complain about Roy's clone status whenever he's mentioned to give feedback, because it's how we can beat the "third Marth" problem and such. I would like this decade to be much better for Roy and us than the last. It's at least PM Luigification I have in mind, but I'd still be happy if he got in with Dr. Mario treatment.

Me too, me too. Though there's going to be people who haven't played Melee nor PM, so experiencing Roy would be new to them. So who knows. And damn, if Roy returns there's probably going to be a new generation of Marth vs Roy wars (just like old times, eh?). When Roy's available, people better get cracking at analyzing them and ending this debate asap lmao.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I really want Wolf announced as well. His sound file may have not been shown, but still, I am hoping for him at E3. Wolf is my favorite Star Fox character. I recently unlocked a Wolf trophy from the Trophy Shop and it gave me a great look on my face based on how he looked.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/File:WolfTrophyWiiU.png

The way how Wolf looked in the trophy really impressed me, and I am awaiting his return and how he will look in SSB4 along with Roy and Ryu!
Wolf, in my opinion, is the most likely veteran to return aside from Roy. With Lucas back, he's pretty much almost guaranteed, and it would be a great idea to announce him alongside more information on Star Fox Wii U, and like you said, that trophy pretty much screams DLC. He was also one of my Brawl favorites, so I'm really excited for him as well.

Me too, me too. Though there's going to be people who haven't played Melee nor PM, so experiencing Roy would be new to them. So who knows. And damn, if Roy returns there's probably going to be a new generation of Marth vs Roy wars (just like old times, eh?). When Roy's available, people better get cracking at analyzing them and ending this debate asap lmao.
Ah, yes. I remember all the Roy VS Marth wars back in the day. It was kind of unfortunate how much at a disadvantage Roy was, but I always stayed loyal to him. With his possible return, he'll hopefully stand more of a chance or even outclass Marth.

I think people will be too busy continuing to diss on Lucina for not having a sweetspot and being a novice Marth, similar to the flak she's gotten since her reveal. I do hope it ends someday, as soon as it can. A lot of people will just be happy that Roy's in, I suppose.

I haven't even seen PM wars between Marth and Roy at all. Just people early on in 3.0 saying that Roy's a solid mid-tier or lower-mid, or mid-tier at best, and that Marth is up there, while Roy eventually trumped Marth by one spot.

Compare:
http://clashtournaments.com/project-m-3-02-preliminary-tier-list/ (preliminary)
http://clashtournaments.com/project-m-3-02-tier-list-v1-01 (middle of it all)
to
http://clashtournaments.com/project-m-3-02-final-tier-list/ (final)

I don't exactly trust the CT lists or a lot of opinions that stem from it, but it's worth noting, especially when most PM players I knew had similar opinions.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I haven't seen any Marth vs Roy PM wars as well (I do think Roy's balanced pretty good), but during Melee? Well, there was some anger threads I've seen on other forums.

Just be prepared for anything. Hopefully things would go smoothly for Lucina as well.

I haven't seen any Marth vs Roy PM wars as well (I do think Roy's balanced pretty good), but during Melee? Well, there was some anger threads I've seen on other forums.

Just be prepared for anything. Hopefully things would go smoothly for Lucina as well.
So many angry threads and wars, good times. I can't see it happening as much, but I'd like to see more of a fair and even rivalry this time, one that's more even and less one-sided in Marth's favor.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
So many angry threads and wars, good times. I can't see it happening as much, but I'd like to see more of a fair and even rivalry this time, one that's more even and less one-sided in Marth's favor.
Please if Roy gets in he will be placed higher than Marth. Marth has very little going for him in this game. Roy will benefit from Sm4shes mechanics a lot. No more weakness exploitation. Just lets hope that his Blazer can be angled as much as in PM. That is some good Horizontal recovery

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oh yeah, I'm not opposed to some friendly rivalries and it could be even healthy, especially if things would be more fair this time around (it's just flame wars that suck).

I came across this Source Gaming article (wish I read it sooner), and the topic is quite interesting. A lot of people think Roy was included in Melee to solely promote his game, but this article brings up some good points trying to clear some misconceptions. I do think FE6 being promoted was like a side bonus since that wasn't Sakurai's main reason for adding Roy. Article: https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/...ash-to-advertise-nintendo-hes-celebrating-it/

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oh yeah, I'm not opposed to some friendly rivalries and it could be even healthy, especially if things would be more fair this time around (it's just flame wars that suck).

I came across this Source Gaming article (wish I read it sooner), and the topic is quite interesting. A lot of people think Roy was included in Melee to solely promote his game, but this article brings up some good points trying to clear some misconceptions. I do think FE6 being promoted was like a side bonus since that wasn't Sakurai's main reason for adding Roy. Article: https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/...ash-to-advertise-nintendo-hes-celebrating-it/
Didn't ever know that the very reasons many tend to slam Roy down (average unit who becomes mighty in the end-game due inexperience in war but great potential to be had) was one of primary contribution on Sakurai to include Roy. Very sweet.

Also hands down for the most needed article in the dire times where indie developers keep "promoting" their characters to Smash 4 just got get more visibility and star power on their game franchise. It's ridiculous.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Seeing how good the other fire emblem characters are i wonder if roy will end up being mid tier

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Hey guys, @ Croph Croph sent me a request to translate an e-mail from Melee about Roy, and promoting him. I'm also the author of the "Sakurai Isn't Using Smash to Advertise..." article. So if you have any questions, concerns or hate mail please direct them to me (Thankfully I don't get a lot of hate mail!).

Anyhow, since the translation is relevant for this thread, I'll drop it: Original Source here
QUESTION: マルスのスマブラ参戦へのハードルにはやっぱり「ロイを出してくれるなら」ってのはあったのですか?
GBA版の販促のためとかで。
Was including Roy a requirement for adding Marth into Smash? Just to promote the GBA game?

SAKURAI: ありません。
エムブレムの新作があるなら、それを推進できる、とは
私から提案したことですよ。
総合的な視点に立てば、良いことですから。

That is not the case. I came up with the proposal that if there was a new Fire Emblem, (Smash) could promote it.
It was something that worked out for both parties.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree with @ Chris_Skorniak Chris_Skorniak , I have faithfully played Marth ever since I picked him up, but there are many of Marth's match ups where I feel as if going Marth will kill me, whereas if I go Lucina, I stand a fighting chance. I feel that Roy will be even better than Lucina in Marth's bad match ups. Considering how Marth performs in Smash 4, I don't think it would be too hard to imagine Roy being the better character this time around.

Troykv

Smash Master
I have to agree with @ Chris_Skorniak Chris_Skorniak , I have faithfully played Marth ever since I picked him up, but there are many of Marth's match ups where I feel as if going Marth will kill me, whereas if I go Lucina, I stand a fighting chance. I feel that Roy will be even better than Lucina in Marth's bad match ups. Considering how Marth performs in Smash 4, I don't think it would be too hard to imagine Roy being the better character this time around.
And he will be a "I'm the few (semi-)clones that are actually better that the original one" like Child Links, Melee!Dr. Mario and Brawl!Falco.

Last edited:
Hey guys, @ Croph Croph sent me a request to translate an e-mail from Melee about Roy, and promoting him. I'm also the author of the "Sakurai Isn't Using Smash to Advertise..." article. So if you have any questions, concerns or hate mail please direct them to me (Thankfully I don't get a lot of hate mail!).

Anyhow, since the translation is relevant for this thread, I'll drop it: Original Source here
QUESTION: マルスのスマブラ参戦へのハードルにはやっぱり「ロイを出してくれるなら」ってのはあったのですか?
GBA版の販促のためとかで。
Was including Roy a requirement for adding Marth into Smash? Just to promote the GBA game?

SAKURAI: ありません。
エムブレムの新作があるなら、それを推進できる、とは
私から提案したことですよ。
総合的な視点に立てば、良いことですから。

That is not the case. I came up with the proposal that if there was a new Fire Emblem, (Smash) could promote it.
It was something that worked out for both parties.
Thank you so much for translating this, it's a valuable resource I plan to use.

--

"The protagonist from Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade (GBA) who is a clone character of Marth, joins the battle.

Roy, when compared to Marth, personifies 'inexperience but has potential as sword user' and I wanted to add a young character.

He’s puts a lot of show into his actions, but his apparent weak points stand out.

It may look like he has the same moves as Marth, but he swings his sword slower.

At this point in time (January 2002), the game isn’t available for sale.

You can say that this is makes him stand out.Out of all of the characters included in Smash, Roy is the only one that is included before his own game is released.

But don’t worry.

Even if you are unfamiliar with the source game, you will quickly fall in love with the character after seeing his charm.

Since he is the opposite of Marth, Roy’s attacks are stronger near the base of the sword as oppose to the tip. So try getting dangerously close.

Also, his air attack ability has been lowered, and he falls quicker. He’s pretty bad at fighting in the air."

--

Hopefully this means they show Roy a few years older, where he reaches that potential, and thus becomes a stronger fighter in Smash.

--

EDIT: I sent in a ballot vote with this. I encourage you guys to join me in linking this article in the ballot, and using reasonings and cool ideas in your submissions. What I sent in:

Check out the section titled "ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF ROY’S PAGE" here:
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/...ash-to-advertise-nintendo-hes-celebrating-it/
I would really like to see Roy come back as an older fighter, similar to his comrades Marth and Ike. He could realize his aerial potential, while keeping his quick fall speed, along with faster swings, or at least more powerful swings. A declone that shows how he grew from his adventure would be perfect.

I also sent in a vote similar to this, talking about how easy it would be to bring in Roy for Dr. Mario treatment, Luigification, or even a full declone, how his charm would transfer instantly, and how he could realize his potential, but I didn't go into depth with that like I did with the above spoiler entry.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Also, his air attack ability has been lowered, and he falls quicker. He’s pretty bad at fighting in the air."
...he says, rubbing his hands together diabolically while cackling like a cartoon villain, and then proceeding to make Roy just as bad at fighting on the ground.

;n;

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Well, he got one thing right: Marth is definitely more suited for high level play. Roy confirmed for deliberate scrub tier.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Roy's pretty bad at fighting in the air!?

:4littlemac: clone confirmed. :troll:

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
@Sethlon is my hero. I like to pretend i'm him when I face Lvl. 9 CPU's.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Can we run a poll? I think it would be interesting to see numerically what we want from Roy as DLC.

Similar to Lucas, where he is so different only the Specials can be said to be the same

A Semi-Clone akin to Falco and Ganondorf

Roy's Melee Moveset

An entirely New Moveset

These are just four general categories I thought of, not all of the ones that should be included or with the options in my wording should we do a poll.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Like Lucas and Wolf.

He would have 90% of his A attacks changed and given a new side B (like a ranged fire attack) while having his Neutral, Up, and Down B from Melee as it's not used by Marth or Lucina. In that regard, he would be like Wolf and Lucas and would be next to nothing like Marth.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The Roy haters are foaming at the mouth more outside SmashBoards. I have even seen these clowns claim that Roy has most illegitimate fanbase of any character in Smash Bros.

If anything he has the purest. Those who love Roy do so because they developed a bond with the character, unlike most other characters that are supported for DLC which are basically bandwagons.

I am anxious. We could very well get a Roy confirmation next week, but at the same time I feel we will probably be waiting until the end of July for it (FE concert).

My hope is that Sakurai manages to make Roy's return triumphant. Its difficult to wait this long. We could have to wait another 50 days. We can't rest until Roy is confirmed. The Roy haters are doing everything in their power to say that most people don't want Roy back when that is the furthest thing from the truth.

The Loudest of Loudmouths need a long overdue helping of humility and reflection. The saga of the Roy fanbase is perhaps the most arduous and desperate. Hopefully, victory is within reach.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Can we run a poll? I think it would be interesting to see numerically what we want from Roy as DLC.

Similar to Lucas, where he is so different only the Specials can be said to be the same

Roy's Melee Moveset

An entirely New Moveset

These are just four general categories I thought of, not all of the ones that should be included or with the options in my wording should we do a poll.
How about PM Roy. Thats all i want. I will never play Roy if he is drastically changed. I will hate his projectile and i will never play Roy if he is totally different than what we already know.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
How about PM Roy. Thats all i want. I will never play Roy if he is drastically changed. I will hate his projectile and i will never play Roy if he is totally different than what we already know.
Sorry I forgot to include PM Roy, I knew I was forgetting something.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
The sound file in question for Roy is his victory theme.
Oh well.. Hope he looks like as he did in Awakening

Can anyone point me to the Banjo - Kazzoie thread? It's deeply appeciated ive been inactive for like a year lol!!!

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35

Roy's Melee Moveset

An entirely New Moveset

Personally I would like him to be a semi-clone because there are certain A moves I want Roy to keep (Dtlit, Fair, Fsmash) although I guess they could tweak the animations to make the moves look different.

I would have no issue with him getting decloned to the extent of Wolf/Lucas though since that would quiet the "Third Marth clone" crowd ( I still don't know who the third Marth clone is by the way.)

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The Roy haters are foaming at the mouth more outside SmashBoards. I have even seen these clowns claim that Roy has most illegitimate fanbase of any character in Smash Bros.

If anything he has the purest. Those who love Roy do so because they developed a bond with the character, unlike most other characters that are supported for DLC which are basically bandwagons.

I am anxious. We could very well get a Roy confirmation next week, but at the same time I feel we will probably be waiting until the end of July for it (FE concert).

My hope is that Sakurai manages to make Roy's return triumphant. Its difficult to wait this long. We could have to wait another 50 days. We can't rest until Roy is confirmed. The Roy haters are doing everything in their power to say that most people don't want Roy back when that is the furthest thing from the truth.

The Loudest of Loudmouths need a long overdue helping of humility and reflection. The saga of the Roy fanbase is perhaps the most arduous and desperate. Hopefully, victory is within reach.
The haters will never win. Think of the haters like how Zephiel was from FE6. Just like how Roy and his army made sure that Zephiel didn't fulfil his sadistic ambition, we will not the haters have their way with their lies and nonsense. As long as the Royvolution stands strong, nothing can defeat us.

Viva la Royvolution!

Hopefully this means they show Roy a few years older, where he reaches that potential, and thus becomes a stronger fighter in Smash.
Hence why Roy's Awakening design is the best way to go for Smash 4. It will show a more experienced, older Roy who's a much more competent fighter than he was before.

Wow, that sounds pretty immature dude. So what if he gets changed? If that does happen then were getting a much more unique character instead of a 3rd clone which is better for Roy seeing as he has nothing in common with Marth unlike Lucina who actually poses as Marth in her game. Besides, Sakurai isn't going to change him up to the extent that he's nothing like his Melee self. He can still have his 3 specials that I mentioned before as it's completely unique from the ones Marth has. Him having a ranged fire attack would be better than having the old side B so that his specials will be completely different from Marth. Why your so against it IDK but there's nothing special about Marth's Side B in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom