• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Roy's pretty awesome and glad to see him on his way back, I knew he had a good shot!
Just worried about how unique he can be, as he should be a bit, y'know? I mean, here's what he should have to make him different from Marth and Lucina:
- Original Neutral Special
- Fire Effects on a bunch of moves making them multi-hits
- Can angle his up-b (I think)
But this just isn't enough, I don't think a lot of people will buy Roy if this is all they're getting. I hope they replace counter with something as we have enough counters and change his side-b to some kind of projectile. Like maybe he hurls his sword at you and pulls out another one? I dunno, something interesting.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
Don't know how many characters to expect. People thought we were going to have a small roster or at least 40-45 characters. Yet we got 49. We are definitely getting six DLC characters for sure though and possibly a little more.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Roy's pretty awesome and glad to see him on his way back, I knew he had a good shot!
Just worried about how unique he can be, as he should be a bit, y'know? I mean, here's what he should have to make him different from Marth and Lucina:
- Original Neutral Special
- Fire Effects on a bunch of moves making them multi-hits
- Can angle his up-b (I think)
But this just isn't enough, I don't think a lot of people will buy Roy if this is all they're getting. I hope they replace counter with something as we have enough counters and change his side-b to some kind of projectile. Like maybe he hurls his sword at you and pulls out another one? I dunno, something interesting.
If you think not a lot of people will buy Roy, then your sadly mistaken my friend. Roy doesn't magically become top 5 on Japanese DLC polls and Top 10 on Western DLC polls.

But your right about him getting decloned. Sakurai won't keep Roy the same as he was in Melee seeing as Lucina fills in the role of Marth clone. I made a custom moveset for him that changes/revamps a good 4/5ths of his moveset. One idea I had is for Roy to have a new Side B were he charges and shoots fireballs from his sword. One thing that I didn't mention in that movelist was that in order to compensate for his Side B being changed, he would have a new Down B in which he counters like he does in Melee but then allows him to perform his Double-Edged Dance right after (with a fire effect added). I call this move the Double-Edged Counter (combination of the Double-Edged Dance and Roy's Counter).

Sonsa

Smash Champion
If you think not a lot of people will buy Roy, then your sadly mistaken my friend. Roy doesn't magically become top 5 on Japanese DLC polls and Top 10 on Western DLC polls.

But your right about him getting decloned. Sakurai won't keep Roy the same as he was in Melee seeing as Lucina fills in the role of Marth clone. I made a custom moveset for him that changes/revamps a good 4/5ths of his moveset. One idea I had is for Roy to have a new Side B were he charges and shoots fireballs from his sword. One thing that I didn't mention in that movelist was that in order to compensate for his Side B being changed, he would have a new Down B in which he counters like he does in Melee but then allows him to perform his Double-Edged Dance right after (with a fire effect added). I call this move the Double-Edged Counter (combination of the Double-Edged Dance and Roy's Counter).
Ah, please don't patronize me. I know he has a lot of fans, including me, and will sell well, but I'm imagining them losing a lot of profit from a lot of casuals, especially newer ones who don't even know who Roy is.

Oh, the counter sounds fancy, maybe a lil OP, but shooting fireballs seems out of character... Roy is an inexperienced Fire Emblem Lord who knows he has to be great, but just doesn't know how to yet, he's kind of learning as he goes along. Fireballs seems like mage stuff or very tough to master, if it's from his original game then cool, I could see it working, but I don't think it is... I suggested throwing his sword cause that seems like something he might try. I dunno, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I think Roy needs more of a... kinda noob vibe? That's how he was in Melee and what personality many seem to love about him. Marth has the grace and elegance of a masterful swordfighter, and Roy tries copying him as best he can but ends up being slower, but tries too hard and ends up having more power!

So! A move where Roy kinda gives the attitude of "Oh boy, I hope this works!" would be totally awesome I think. Rather than cool tactful fireballs.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Ah, please don't patronize me. I know he has a lot of fans, including me, and will sell well, but I'm imagining them losing a lot of profit from a lot of casuals, especially newer ones who don't even know who Roy is.

Oh, the counter sounds fancy, maybe a lil OP, but shooting fireballs seems out of character... Roy is an inexperienced Fire Emblem Lord who knows he has to be great, but just doesn't know how to yet, he's kind of learning as he goes along. Fireballs seems like mage stuff or very tough to master, if it's from his original game then cool, I could see it working, but I don't think it is... I suggested throwing his sword cause that seems like something he might try. I dunno, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I think Roy needs more of a... kinda noob vibe? That's how he was in Melee and what personality many seem to love about him. Marth has the grace and elegance of a masterful swordfighter, and Roy tries copying him as best he can but ends up being slower, but tries too hard and ends up having more power!

So! A move where Roy kinda gives the attitude of "Oh boy, I hope this works!" would be totally awesome I think. Rather than cool tactful fireballs.
That is actually an interesting take on the character. Might even explain why his Flare Blade explodes on his face due to overcharging.

But you are aware that Roy does have long range fire attacks thanks to the SoS, right?

Not exactly a fireball, per se, but there's the potential. (I personally prefer fire waves.)

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
That is actually an interesting take on the character. Might even explain why his Flare Blade explodes on his face due to overcharging.

But you are aware that Roy does have long range fire attacks thanks to the SoS, right?

Not exactly a fireball, per se, but there's the potential. (I personally prefer fire waves.)
Thanks, well I believe they expanded on this personality in his trophy descriptions but I'll try to take another look.
Edit: Huh...not sure where I got that view of him, but it seems to be true, he's an inexperienced 15 year old that actually prefers to avoid violence. He's also apparently generally oblivious, which is another great character trait haha

I was not aware of that! Kinda looks like a Final Smash to me though. Unchargable fire waves seem okay to me somehow. A Side-B where he swipes his sword and a somewhat small range somewhat slow moving fire wave with decent knockback and damage to cover his approaches, guard the ledge, incorporate into combos... seems good to me!

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Don't worry about Roy. I'm sure he'd be a profitable character, especially since Melee sold a crap ton, so at least he's recognizable to non-FE players who played Melee. And he is a popular requested character as well.

Fireballs could work... I guess you can do a lot with different types of fire porjectiles.

Fireballs seems like mage stuff or very tough to master, if it's from his original game then cool, I could see it working, but I don't think it is...
Kinda random, but did you know that Roy originally was very enthusiastic to learn magic? But him being a Mage wasn't meant to be, as magic wouldn't be his strong suit. So his teacher, Cecilia, trained him to be a swordsman instead.

Not saying his should have magic tomes now... I just think it would be hilarious if they give him a taunt that references this. Like, say Roy pulls out a tome, tries to read a spell, but it backfires and blows up in his face lulz. very few would get the reference tho...

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Don't worry about Roy. I'm sure he'd be a profitable character, especially since Melee sold a crap ton, so at least he's recognizable to non-FE players who played Melee. And he is a popular requested character as well.

Fireballs could work... I guess you can do a lot with different types of fire porjectiles.

Kinda random, but did you know that Roy originally was very enthusiastic to learn magic? But him being a Mage wasn't meant to be, as magic wouldn't be his strong suit. So his teacher, Cecilia, trained him to be a swordsman instead.

Not saying his should have magic tomes now... I just think it would be hilarious if they give him a taunt that references this. Like, say Roy pulls out a tome, tries to read a spell, but it backfires and blows up in his face lulz. very few would get the reference tho...
I did not know that, that's very interesting and cute! Aww haha, I really want that taunt so much now! Tries to immitate Robin, "Arcfi-AH...!" his hair and face goes all black with ash and he shakes it off going back to idle position. Aw, he could even take 1% heehee, I mean they gatta give him two new taunts anyway, aw, this would be so cute and flesh out the character so well <3

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice

Oh my gods, I totally forgot about this. Thank you for reminding me.
That taunt would be the cutest thing in the whole universe. But yeah, I don't think many would get the reference, since it is based on a pretty obscure bit of information. x'D

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I did not know that, that's very interesting and cute! Aww haha, I really want that taunt so much now! Tries to immitate Robin, "Arcfi-AH...!" his hair and face goes all black with ash and he shakes it off going back to idle position. Aw, he could even take 1% heehee, I mean they gatta give him two new taunts anyway, aw, this would be so cute and flesh out the character so well <3
D'aww, when you explain the taunt like that, it does sound really adorable.

Roy returning means he'd get 2 new taunts, which I can't wait to see, as well as new palette swaps... I wonder if he'd get a colour based on Marth.

royalblue

Smash Cadet
I wonder if he'd get a colour based on Marth.
This right here is what I've been praying for since I saw Marth's last palette swap. Even if he keeps all his old ones from Melee that would still give him three new ones. Having Marth and Roy running around in each others colors would just be too cute.

And then I wonder what the other two would be? Of course, there's always the possibility of alt costumes being thrown in there too.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It isn't out of character for him to use fireballs from his sword. He used fire based attacks in FE6 so him using that as his new Side B would work well. I wouldn't worry about the "out of character" issues that people have. If he's an experienced fighter and is aggressive in the game, it won't be a big issue. Sheik from OoT is hardly anything like her Smash self and Fox has an Up B in Smash that wasn't even present in any of the Star Fox games.

I think the Double-Edged Counter is the best way to replace his old-side B (granted it gets changed) to somewhat retain his old Double-Edged Dance while making his counter more unique from other characters.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Honestly i think Sakurai is going to take the changes they were going to give him in Brawl and make that the Roy we get today. Honestly i hope he stays relatively the same but better than his melee self. Also dont know if anyone cares but in PM 3.6 apparently he is getting an awakening skin as an alt

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Guys, did you notice what Sakurai says here?
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/

Fighters take an incredible amount of work to develop, so I don’t think we’ll be able to produce that many. Part of me would also love to finish up the project and finally enjoy some rest and relaxation. That said, we’ve already begun development, so I would like to provide as much additional fun and excitement as possible from here on out. We’ll continue working for a little while longer, so please stay tuned!
This could means that those files leaked from the update aren't scrapped files from unusued fighter, but rather an actual piece of characters actually in development?

•Col•

Smash Champion
This could means that those files leaked from the update aren't scrapped files from unusued fighter, but rather an actual piece of characters actually in development?
Well, duh. That's already heavily implied. The files were added in the recent update. Why would you include sound files for a scrapped character in an update? Answer: You wouldn't.

They're obviously planning to use the files for something coming up. Doesn't exactly guarantee that they will be released as playable characters though. It proves that they're at least considering Roy, though.

Also, in that statement I think Sakurai was specifically referencing the fact that they already started their DLC campaign with Mewtwo and Lucas.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Well, duh. That's already heavily implied. The files were added in the recent update. Why would you include sound files for a scrapped character in an update? Answer: You wouldn't.

They're obviously planning to use the files for something coming up. Doesn't exactly guarantee that they will be released as playable characters though. It proves that they're at least considering Roy, though.

Also, in that statement I think Sakurai was specifically referencing the fact that they already started their DLC campaign with Mewtwo and Lucas.
You would, if you were messing around with the files to check that future dlc characters and stages will work if they ever need new music. No-one's a development expert here, so don't go around saying things about Nintendo works, because if there's one thing Nintendo never does, it's what people say they will.

And who says Ryu's a scrapped character? The SF music just might be a joke by one of the devs goofing off on the job.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
You would, if you were messing around with the files to check that future dlc characters and stages will work if they ever need new music. No-one's a development expert here, so don't go around saying things about Nintendo works, because if there's one thing Nintendo never does, it's what people say they will.

And who says Ryu's a scrapped character? The SF music just might be a joke by one of the devs goofing off on the job.
Considering the first possibility, you do know they can just test that and probably did test it with Mewtwo, right?
As for the second, well that's one very elaborate joke there. And one which involves copyrighted material nonetheless, so it'd actually be quite a serious offense to just include that in the game in any form without any permission.

The problem with those two possibilities is that they're both improbable and unlikely, and given the data, it isn't the first explanation you'd expect either. Of course, there is a chance you are correct, but given that it's unlikely naturally no one would assume that as the expected outcome of this whole episode.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Considering the first possibility, you do know they can just test that and probably did test it with Mewtwo, right?
As for the second, well that's one very elaborate joke there. And one which involves copyrighted material nonetheless, so it'd actually be quite a serious offense to just include that in the game in any form without any permission.

The problem with those two possibilities is that they're both improbable and unlikely, and given the data, it isn't the first explanation you'd expect either. Of course, there is a chance you are correct, but given that it's unlikely naturally no one would assume that as the expected outcome of this whole episode.
Ono's a well known troll. If Sakurai managed to get Megaman, I'm sure he talked to Ono at one point or another. And besides, the rules of copyright get iffy if the music doesn't actually get used, because one could claim that they were left in the hacked files by a glitch or something.

I just want to live in a world where Ryu not getting into Smash is a possibility, instead of a complete impossibility, okay?

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527

Being very pessimistic in nature, as I already said to me Roy is not a shoe in until is officially confirmed by Nintendo/Sakurai. That's why I'm interested in every little piece of evidence that those files are actually a true leak.

By the way, am I the only one around here who keeps playing as Marth in order to "prepare" for Roy comeback (since even if he get Luigified, they will still share some similarities)?

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I might be changing the subject a little, but I never see anyone talking about the fact that there is stage DLC included in the sound files. If these are true material, this means that we may be getting more stage DLC. I really hope Temporal Tower from Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky is a stage. High hopes, but I really do want to see it.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I might be changing the subject a little, but I never see anyone talking about the fact that there is stage DLC included in the sound files. If these are true material, this means that we may be getting more stage DLC. I really hope Temporal Tower from Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky is a stage. High hopes, but I really do want to see it.
Oh right, they found new Kirby music too and there's that glitch where in classic mode when you fight a Kirby character instead of heading to a kirby stage you go to battlefield because apparently something is going on with the game where it doesnt know what to do and therefore goes to battlefield. And music files for "Green Greens" and some other new Kirby song were found. Exciting stuff, so at the very least a new Kirby stage is on the way, but a bunch of new stages announced for both versions at E3 would be awesome.

Ryu has to have some representation, not sure about Roy, but other stages I hope for areee... Well most are in my signature actually haha, but Great Bay, Forest Haven, A Kirby Epic Yarn stage, Fountain of Dreams, umm... I'd love some more Pokemon stages too, but both versions got at least 1 new stage and it might be more of a priority to give more representation to some franchises that kinda got nothing new, especially on the 3ds version. DK, Starfox, maybe even Duck Hunt, Rob, Dr. Mario... I know they said they wanted to do Dr. Mario and Rhythm Heaven stages at one point.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
By the way, am I the only one around here who keeps playing as Marth in order to "prepare" for Roy comeback (since even if he get Luigified, they will still share some similarities)?
Depends, Marth's IMO not in his best, and isn't a rush-down character, unlike Roy was. You might bet better using Lucina as she's more closer to what Roy could become.

Last edited:

Interesting design...
Very nice tcg find, I found one that couldn't be directly linked so I just have a teeny version of it:

I can't even see his level, but I'm assuming he's Lv1 based on the epic armor of the Lv10, though I believe this one has the Sword of Seals and the more armored one has a wyrmslayer, so I'm guessing these two were made by different fans. :urg:

I did something mainly for the thread that would make for nice promotional banners.

I recolored Roy's FE6 sprite in 8 palettes to promote his potential for DLC.

I'm not the best, so some of it looks off, but I did my best. You can use these banners anywhere you want and I don't care about credit.

If you want to fix any of these up, feel free to for personal use.

Small (1x): http://i.imgur.com/4tFcMxB.png

Medium (2x): Perfect for those without premium membership like me.

Large (4x): http://i.imgur.com/xVO6QSE.png

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Very nice tcg find, I found one that couldn't be directly linked so I just have a teeny version of it:

I can't even see his level, but I'm assuming he's Lv1 based on the epic armor of the Lv10, though I believe this one has the Sword of Seals and the more armored one has a wyrmslayer, so I'm guessing these two were made by different fans. :urg:

I did something mainly for the thread that would make for nice promotional banners.

I'm not the best, so some of it looks off, but I did my best. You can use these banners anywhere you want and I don't care about credit.

I normally used Gold Roy, but the rest of his colors were awesome, too. I like that purple, Awakening, and Marth color, but the old blue one could be replaced by another color since that'll make 4 blue alts.

Last edited:
I normally used Gold Roy, but the rest of his colors were awesome, too. I like that purple, Awakening, and Marth color, but the old blue one could be replaced by another color since that'll make 4 blue alts.
Thank you, I'm most proud of the purple. I tried to mirror Marth's default, deep FE3 blue, and Roy alt thing going, so it might be for the best if the old blue is cut, but maaaaan that color is underrated in Melee. I didn't mind it cut in PM since I got a blue I like a lot more, so it'd be the same case here.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
I think Roy's alts will be like Wii Fit/Olimar's where 4 will be different variants of the Awakening costume and 4 will be different variants of his regular attire.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Nice palette swaps. Gonna put them in the OP.

I love this artwork from the tcg:

and apparently it's a Japanese phone card. This is gonna be very hard to find

Love how the Ice(?) Dragon's stomping on Narcian (I think) lol.

But the question is: who's the Ice Dragon? Ninian? O.o

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion

Maybe this'll work:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Although i didn't play him that often, i always preferred Roy over Marth in Melee. (Nothing against Marth though!)
With the sound files found in the 3DS version i think he might have a good chance.
+ Clone characters are easy to make, giving him a higher chance to be included.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Really digging these attires though like I said many times before, his Awakening attire NEEDS to be his primary attire in the game. His Melee attire can stay but it needs to take a back seat.

But yeah, like someone in this thread said, Roy can have his Awakening attire as his primary attire, a Marth inspired outift as another attire, and his old Melee attire with their returning team colours. That's the best way to go about with his alts IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom