• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Not important, but I remember that the Nintendo Power Player's Guide had a name for every attack that the characters had and used in Melee. Here is Roy's.

Weak Attacks

1: Slash

Strong Attacks

Upward: Anti-Air Slash
Forward: Sharp Edge
Downward: Low Stab

SMASH ATTACKS:

Upward: Flame Sword
Forward: Dragon Killer
Downward: Whirlwind Blade

Dash Attack: Raid Chop

Aerial Attacks:

Center: Double Slash
Front: Aerial Swipe
Back: About Face
Up: Luna Slash
Down: Half Moon

Special Attacks

Standard B: Flare Blade
Foward B: Double-Edge Dance
Upward B: Blazer
Downward B: Counter

Grapples and Throw Downs

Pummel: Knee
Front: Bounce
Back: Throw Away
Up: Emblem Toss
Down: Slam

And another one gone.

mrbrawl

Smash Cadet
it would be cool if he dual swords and one move allowed him to throw one of his swords to do a huge amount of damage but the enemy can use it as a powerful weapon till you can get it back and if you pick up an item you put one sword away

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nah it should be his B attack and work similary to his B as before, but it's ranged this time. Then again, a new Side B would also work. Maybe charge up the blade with fire with B, and shoot the projectile with Side B?

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Just bring him back! he's so popular, known, and his new look makes him so much cooler than the first time he appeared (bring his game too. That'd be even better!!)

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
OMG he needs the attack at 4:52 as a projectile
Maybe as his side special so he looks less like marth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRS8PY-HtPA
That could work as a Final Smash too, like, Roy puts up his sword, it catches on fire and he sends a wave of fire in front of him, anyone caught in the wave will get trapped and will explode.
It would work, certantly.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As I mentioned earlier in this topic, there is still a lot of Roy love in Japan. Heck, the Marth and Roy duo is still fondly remembered, and there is still new artwork being made of it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd definitely support Roy's return. I'm not too familiar with his game in the series, but is there anything in FE5 that he could use to further luigify himself? Just wondering. Either way, I'd love to see him back.

D

Deleted member

Roy has a fencing style of fighting and can create waves of fire, so that's something.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fencing style is only when he equips swords other than his trademark weapon the Sword of Seals, which he also used in Melee. And Marth fights similar enough to that style, so it would only make him more of a clone to Marth. His Sword of Seals would be enough to create a style which would be like an inbeteen character of the styles of Marth and Ike. Slower than Marth, but more powerful, and weaker than Ike, but faster.

And seeing how Roy also re-appears in Awakening, and Marth as well, they could give Marth and Roy the skills Luna (for Marth) and Sol (for Roy) to differenciate them further. Aether (Krom and Ike) would work as a mix of both moves. Maybe they could use those skills as ideas for their neutral B move?

D

Deleted member

Smash is not canon, so it doesn't matter if he uses his fencing style on the Sword of Seals.
I mean, Mario/Luigi can shoot Fireballs without being in their Fire states, Kirby can use various powers from his Copy Abilities without inhaling that enemy first, etc. So Roy using fencing with the Sword of Seals wouldn't be farfetched.
There's also to factor in that when he DOES use the Sword of Seals, the moves he uses with those reflect the sword's magical fire power, rather than his style with a sword, so who's to say he can't use it like a regular sword?

As for the fencing style I'm talking about, Roy is more prone to stabs rather than slashes like his Smash fighting style.
Then there's also the fire abilties of the sword itself, which involve waves of fire (based off his ranged attack with the Sword of Seals), causing explosions to erupt (again, based off the ranged attack), so it can stand to reason that his sword couls ALWAYS do fire damage, to set him further apart from Marth.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Roy's re-design was very well-received in Japan. There is quite a bit of fanart out there of it:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^Those images don't work for me, but it's great to hear that that fantastic design is being appreciated, and it gives me even a little hope that the past FE characters will have their Awakening looks in Smash 4 (at least the playable ones, and maybe Lyn if she returns as an AT), though I'm still not wild about Ike's.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ike's is terrible. But I doubt they are gonna change him much considering [spoilers]Paris, Ike's descendant who looks mostly like FE9's Ike or FE10's Hero Ike[/spoiler]. Roy could take some details from his redesign, sure, but I don't fully expect it unless Smash goes in a similar anime-like style.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
^Those images don't work for me, but it's great to hear that that fantastic design is being appreciated, and it gives me even a little hope that the past FE characters will have their Awakening looks in Smash 4 (at least the playable ones, and maybe Lyn if she returns as an AT), though I'm still not wild about Ike's.
Can't see ****, again :(
I'm sorry. I keep linking to the artwork on pixiv (a Japanese picture board), but for some reason the links go bust after a few days or even hours. I'm sure the artwork is also posted at donmai, however, I'm not sure if I could post a link from those places (even just the image url) due to the fact that a lot of the content on that site is NWS.

As for Fire Emblem characters utilizing Awakening designs, I am positively certain that Marth will use his Awakening re-design (which was also positively received). Roy too I can see using the Awakening re-design. However, Ike is a bit more tricky considering he was the last lord released (unlike Marth and Roy who were among the first three), and he probably had the most negative reception to his re-design of all the lords. I think if Ike returns, he should utilize his Radiant Dawn design, which would give him a great contrast to Marth and Roy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As for Fire Emblem characters utilizing Awakening designs, I am positively certain that Marth will use his Awakening re-design (which was also positively received). Roy too I can see using the Awakening re-design. However, Ike is a bit more tricky considering he was the last lord released (unlike Marth and Roy who were among the first three), and he probably had the most negative reception to his re-design of all the lords. I think if Ike returns, he should utilize his Radiant Dawn design, which would give him a great contrast to Marth and Roy.
Yeah, if Ike retains his position as slowest yet strongest FE character, then his Radiant Dawn look would correspond best, but it would be a little strange that the other FE characters had their most recent looks, while Ike didn't. I can't really think of any series in Smash that didn't use one character's most recent look while the other characters from that series did. Not to say it couldn't happen, just that it might not be that likely. Perhaps the best way to handle Ike's design would be to combine his RD and his Awakening designs and have it be original to SSB4, sort of like the Starfox characters in Brawl. Just a thought. :ohwell:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah, if Ike retains his position as slowest yet strongest FE character, then his Radiant Dawn look would correspond best, but it would be a little strange that the other FE characters had their most recent looks, while Ike didn't. I can't really think of any series in Smash that didn't use one character's most recent look while the other characters from that series did. Not to say it couldn't happen, just that it might not be that likely. Perhaps the best way to handle Ike's design would be to combine his RD and his Awakening designs and have it be original to SSB4, sort of like the Starfox characters in Brawl. Just a thought. :ohwell:
why not doing like Wario, who has both his classic costume as well as the WarioWare, in which you select the costume? of course, the idea of combining the costumes also works as well, if they did that to the Star Fox characters, they could do it for the Fire Emblem characters too.

about Roy, they could tweak his moveset a bit to differentiate even more with Marth, even though they already had significant differences in Melee, but with Marth's changes in Brawl, they are even more distiguished, especially regarding B and Side B moves (which were slightly changed for Marth, while Roy could stay the same as Melee). change some of the A attacks and don't forget that Marth deals more damage in the tip of the sword while Roy it's reversed.

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
why give roy a sweetspot at all? that's on way to make them differ. Roy's sword was/is almost useless in melee because of it's sweetspot.

I don't understand why so many people(mostly americans, surprisingly) wish for roy to stay out of smash 4. Many claim that since he's bad he lost his chance. So, because a character is created BEFORE his game came out and they had little info on him(which is the main reason i think he was a clone, and time restraints) means he doesn't deserve to be in another installment?

Unless they're going with marth and the newset fe lord approach, i feel as though Roy is the second most likely fe to be alongside marth(ironically, his father is ranked above him imo).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
why give roy a sweetspot at all? that's on way to make them differ. Roy's sword was/is almost useless in melee because of it's sweetspot.

I don't understand why so many people(mostly americans, surprisingly) wish for roy to stay out of smash 4. Many claim that since he's bad he lost his chance. So, because a character is created BEFORE his game came out and they had little info on him(which is the main reason i think he was a clone, and time restraints) means he doesn't deserve to be in another installment?

Unless they're going with marth and the newset fe lord approach, i feel as though Roy is the second most likely fe to be alongside marth(ironically, his father is ranked above him imo).
the no sweetspot could also be a good idea, I agree. yes, the fact that he debuted before his game didn't help in regards to the moveset...
the same cannot be said for Ganon... *sigh*
they could rework and tweak his moveset, like they have been doing for Luigi. Falco did also have significant changes from his appearence in Melee, going from barely different from Fox (aside the Blaster) to have different moves, with different animations and hitboxes, as well as the change in his Reflector move.

they could do something like this for Roy.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
The only thing is that what makes Roy so special? Five characters were cut out in Melee (4 depending if Toon Link was like Twilight Princess Link). We know Pichu was a joke character. But what makes Roy special over Dr. Mario and Mewtwo?

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Over Mewtwo? Nothing.

Over Dr. Mario? He was higher in priority in Brawl, is easier to imagine decloned, and has much more popularity and requests to return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom