• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Please, go for it.
I can't do a thing because I am not the topic creator. If I post all the materials now, they will just be buried within this topic. Smash Bros. veterans that were cut should be allowed to have proper support topics.

I don't know about Krom, he's just the new guy. He's cool, but it would be annoying seeing 3 blue haired swordsman in the same game.

Roy deserves a comeback. I don't know why everyone is hung up on the whole clone thing, there will always be characters with similar moves. Sheik, Zero Suit Samus and Sonic all shared the same Down Air, which was just a play off Captain Falcon's Falcon Kick. Zelda and Peach have the same dash attack, and Peach and Ness have the same Neutral Air. Captain Falcon and Samus have the same U-tilt and F-tilt, the list goes on. Similar characters will always share something.

It's easy to change Roy, just put more emphasis on his Fire Magic with his swordplay. They could easily not be lazy about it and change at least some of his moves. Marth is the fast sworsman, Ike is the powerful swordsman, and Roy is the magic swordsman.

The thing about Marth and Roy is that one isn't really much of a clone of one another, rather they play as blend of each others play styles, that's how I feel atleast.

Besides, I think that this looks like Marth's Forwards Smash. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDYUpIoasE

Edit: Just Roy attacking in his game and stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDYUpIoasE

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I can't do a thing because I am not the topic creator. If I post all the materials now, they will just be buried within this topic. Smash Bros. veterans that were cut should be allowed to have proper support topics.
Make the post, have M&S either

1. Merge it with the original post (which I'm sure most people aren't even looking at by this point)
2. Merge it with the original post and make you thread owner.

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
He is one of the most boring lords in the series and he is really not all that interesting.

Plus he was Marth's clone in melee.

Okay,truth be told,I don't know much about Fire Emblem at all.All I know about is from playing
Melee and reading the trophies from the games, that doesn't matter. All I know is that yes,he was a clone of Marth. But, when has that stopped SSB? Luigi for example,he has never fought at all outside of a couple of games without being a complete clone of Mario.What do we do to make Luigi unique?We make moves up for him.Where,at all does Luigi use the green missle? And seriously, Roy can definitely become a unique character.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Who cares about Roy himself, all I want is a firesword moveset.
Too bad only Roy has t3h ph1r3.

I was actually thinking of making the Roy support topic have this as its title:
Help Roy re-claim the throne: Roy's Our Boy For Smash 4.

I was also thinking of making Roy support icons that said:
"t3h ph1r3 rises" based off of the Dark Knight Rises advertisements.

He is one of the most boring lords in the series and he is really not all that interesting.

Plus he was Marth's clone in melee.

Okay,truth be told,I don't know much about Fire Emblem at all.All I know about is from playing
Melee and reading the trophies from the games, that doesn't matter. All I know is that yes,he was a clone of Marth. But, when has that stopped SSB? Luigi for example,he has never fought at all outside of a couple of games without being a complete clone of Mario.What do we do to make Luigi unique?We make moves up for him.Where,at all does Luigi use the green missle? And seriously, Roy can definitely become a unique character.
You know what's funny? The only thing that makes Roy a clone is the order in which Marth and Roy were unlocked.

So, if Roy were to be unlocked First, would that Make Marth the clone? Think about that. : )

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You know what's funny? The only thing that makes Roy a clone is the order in which Marth and Roy were unlocked.

So, if Roy were to be unlocked First, would that Make Marth the clone? Think about that. : )
Marth was programmed into Melee before Roy was, so yes, Marth is the original, and Roy is the clone (despite technically being able to unlock Roy before Marth). Roy (and the five other Melee clone newcomers) were only added into Melee when Sakurai thought Melee's roster was too small, and realized he had enough time to make six clones.

Marth was programmed into Melee before Roy was, so yes, Marth is the original, and Roy is the clone (despite technically being able to unlock Roy before Marth). Roy (and the five other Melee clone newcomers) were only added into Melee when Sakurai thought Melee's roster was too small, and realized he had enough time to make six clones.
Oh, I didn't know that. Despite that I still feel that Roy deserves to be in SSB4. Besides him having the potential to become a unique character he was also popular among the casual community of smashers. Only tournament players liked Marth, where Roy was popular to every casual player, even myself when I first unlocked him.

After all, he has t3h ph1r3.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh, I didn't know that. Despite that I still feel that Roy deserves to be in SSB4. Besides him having the potential to become a unique character he was also popular among the casual community of smashers. Only tournament players liked Marth, where Roy was popular to every casual player, even myself when I first unlocked him.

After all, he has t3h ph1r3.
I would venture to say Roy was one of the most popular newcomers introduced in Melee, and that among the casual audience, Roy was more popular than Marth.

I certainly think Roy has more to offer Smash 4 than Krom/Chrome. Besides, we will likely have Takamaru as our blue-haired swordsman newcomer.

I thought Mewtwo and Roy were too well-received to warrant being cut. Heck, I think even Dr. Mario and Pichu should come back (at least in some form).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Too bad only Roy has t3h ph1r3.
Well yeah, but that's all that makes me want Roy. Even if Roy returned as mostly a clone, just adding some firey effects that actually NOTICEABLY change the properties of Roy's attacks would be enough to make him feel different.

It's a relatively simple change, visually appealing and different, sets him apart from the rest of the roster. It's definitely what makes Roy an outstanding option in my mind.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
While I surely want Roy to come back, it should be noted that most of his popularity comes from the fact that he was, for a time, a character original from Smash (FE6 hadn't come out)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
While I surely want Roy to come back, it should be noted that most of his popularity comes from the fact that he was, for a time, a character original from Smash (FE6 hadn't come out)
FE6 was released four months after Melee's release. Most of his popularity came from the fact he was a cool looking guy that had a flaming sword with an easier sweet spot for casual players. He was also very fun to use.

Sakurai pretty much predicted that a lot of people would take a liking to Roy despite not knowing who he is on Roy's update for the Japanese Dojo (Sakurai wrote that he could see a lot of people loving Roy for his "charm").

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
"Is the only one who doesn't know what ph1r3 means."

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I disagree with this. While I don't deny that his popularity mostly comes from being in Smash, I very much doubt being an "original" to Smash character (which technically he isn't) is what caused his popularity. If there was an original to Smash character (such as primid, or an alloy, or something new, etc) that was playable, I would guess opinions of it and its popularity would be very divided, and it would not gain enough undisputed popularity to be one of the most popular characters in the game, such as Roy was.

Even if the character was created for another series, but had their debut in Smash, (which isn't a true original character) like Roy, and got their popularity in that regard, logically the popularity would dissipate after the game had been out for a time. This didn't happen to Roy, his popularity remained strong after his game came out. Plus the vast majority of non-Japanese people who played Melee had no idea that Roy's game wasn't out yet.

Like Chrono said, most of his popularity with the average Smasher came from his cool appearance and attacks, and his relative ease of use.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I disagree with this. While I don't deny that his popularity mostly comes from being in Smash, I very much doubt being an "original" to Smash character (which technically he isn't) is what caused his popularity. If there was an original to Smash character (such as primid, or an alloy, or something new, etc) that was playable, I would guess opinions of it and its popularity would be very divided, and it would not gain enough undisputed popularity to be one of the most popular characters in the game, such as Roy was.

Even if the character was created for another series, but had their debut in Smash, (which isn't a true original character) like Roy, and got their popularity in that regard, logically the popularity would dissipate after the game had been out for a time. This didn't happen to Roy, his popularity remained strong after his game came out. Plus the vast majority of non-Japanese people who played Melee had no idea that Roy's game wasn't out yet.

Like Chrono said, most of his popularity with the average Smasher came from his cool appearance and attacks, and his relative ease of use.
That too applies.

D

Deleted member

Glad to see that ChronoBound took the opportunity to visit the Roy board. Really nice for him to do that. Thanks. BTW, you could always ask Xiivi if you can insert your stuff into the OP and be able to request change.

Anyway, fellow supporter of Roy here. I like Krom as well, but both are good to me. Excited to see how Fire Emblem roster changes.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
The only reason i see a chance for Roy is because Roy has an important role in DLC in the latest Fire Emblem.. Its him vs Ike in the other world.. So he's getting attention which might spark his return. His best shot is if his DLC sells very well.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The only reason i see a chance for Roy is because Roy has an important role in DLC in the latest Fire Emblem.. Its him vs Ike in the other world.. So he's getting attention which might spark his return. His best shot is if his DLC sells very well.
Roy's DLC was part of the next set released after Marth's (alongside Leaf). It was also released during Golden Week in Japan, so there is a good chance it sold well.

The Roy vs. Ike DLC storyline (called Red vs. Blue I believe), is three DLC chapters, with the final one involving Roy and Ike's armies joining forces to take down Krom's.

Roy has a good chance at returning for several reasons:
1. Planned for Brawl, and was one of the last two characters scrapped for that game.
2. Was incredibly popular in Melee.
3. Is one of the most requested characters for Smash 4 (easily in the Top 10).
4. The latest lord (Krom) may be too similar to Ike, to warrant inclusion (I am very curious to see Sakurai's attitude towards cuts this time, considering the negative reaction toward Mewtwo and Roy being cut from Melee).

D

Deleted member

I think Sakurai will try to avoid cuts on Nintendo characters as much as possible. As for why Pichu was cut without being planned to return, I think it was due to Sakurai seeing no purpose in keeping a joke character and as such, dropped him. If Sakurai were to ever regret a character decision, it would be Pichu's (which is too bad, since I would like to see Pichu back, although I realize it's chances are practically non-existence).

As for Krom's and Roy's inclusion, both would probably get in as a semi-clone of Marth or Ike, but I think Sakurai will try to make it to where both are noticeably different enough to where they meet the uniqueness criteria Sakurai has stated. Roy can easily fill that as he did in Melee despite being a clone, but I'm not so sure about Krom.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I hardly find the Forbidden 7 as a good point, no one knows why they were removed...time constraints could've been a factor but maybe they didn't want to include them...after all Sakurai single-handedly took over the balancing of characters...
A lot of the forbidden 7 were taken out because sakurai tried to take out semi-clones after a recent survey, so that's why roy, mewtwo and dr. mario were removed. The others were removed due to difficulties with movepools or simply, because two of them (dixie kong was going to be a duo with diddy, and plusle and minun were going to be included as partners) were going to be duos, they couldn't technically script them into the game. On toon zelda and toon sheiks behalf, I think it's a bit of both, They couldn't find a different enough movepool, toon sheik especially, since he only featured in half of one game, I think they'd have been too much like clones, also the sprites would of been outdated, taking zelda's from the wind-waker.

D

Deleted member

The hell am I looking at? Ike what have they done to you?
It's a godsend in comparison to Green Ike that we got in April, 2012 Fire Emblem DLC.

But yeah, I hope he doesn't use that one for SSB4.

Also not a very big fan of Roy's redesign.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah it's awesome, but we've known about it pretty much since it was revealed like four months ago. It is my favorite redesign though, I hope Roy gets it in Smash.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Yeah it's awesome, but we've known about it pretty much since it was revealed like four months ago. It is my favorite redesign though, I hope Roy gets it in Smash.
I knew it, it's just because I didn't see this image here , and I posted.
I really want this to be his SSB4 Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom