• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Over Mewtwo? Nothing.

Over Dr. Mario? He was higher in priority in Brawl, is easier to imagine decloned, and has much more popularity and requests to return.
And being his own character helps too.... I seriously thought I would have more to say, but you covered all the bases

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
How about the fact that he was made for the game, and was the only character to appear in smash before anything else?

D

Deleted member

Except he wasn't made for the game.

Just because he debuted in Smash before his home series doesn't mean he was literally MADE for the game. Characters that fall under THAT category would be like Master Hand, Giga Bowser, Tabuu, etc.

In order to have been in Melee in the first place, he had to have been planned for a future game, i.e. he had to somehow exist.
At which he was. He was added as the Marth clone over Leaf because he had a fire sword, which Sakurai saw while FE6 was in development.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I forgot to add this when I was talking about the FE13 re-designs. One thing to keep in mind was that Marth and Roy were among the first three lords to become DLC. Marth was DLC at the game's release, and Roy's was DLC a week after the game's release.

Ike's DLC was released months after the release of FE13. Moreover, his re-design was met with a strong negative reaction by not only Western Smash Bros. fans but Japanese ones as well.

From what I have seen on Japanese image boards, the most artwork I have seen of the re-designed lords are Marth, Roy, and Micaiah. With Micaiah, I speculate the the fascination with her re-design is due to scantily clad nature of it. I think Roy's re-design definitely would help distinguish himself from Marth and Ike/Krom.

Marth's FE13 re-design makes him look lighter and thinner than he does in any other incarnation of his, which would be good to help establish his place as the light, quick, and weaker Fire Emblem character. Ike om his FE10 incarnation (or Krom) with their exposed muscular arms and being older shows a sword-wielder that has an emphasis on strength (with a slower speed as a means of balance). Roy not looking to be particularly muscular like Ike or thin like Marth, would be medium between the two.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I dont think the new game needs Roy, I didnt even think Melee needed Roy... There was absolutely no advantage in any area of choosing him over Marth. With Ganondorf, Doc, Young Link, Falco and Pichu there was enough of a difference to warrant a reason to pick them. Come to think of it is there even a board for Pichu in the Veterans list? Well anyways colud you guys explain to me why you want him back? I just dont get it, help me to understand.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I dont think the new game needs Roy, I didnt even think Melee needed Roy... There was absolutely no advantage in any area of choosing him over Marth. With Ganondorf, Doc, Young Link, Falco and Pichu there was enough of a difference to warrant a reason to pick them. Come to think of it is there even a board for Pichu in the Veterans list? Well anyways colud you guys explain to me why you want him back? I just dont get it, help me to understand.
Firesword. That's why. Edit: Also, and this is coming from a Doc main, saying Doc is more unique from Mario than Roy was from Marth....no. Just...no.

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
I was thinking, for his b move, what if it had the animation of ikes >B(just the way he poses, not the dashing) and it would release a projectile across the screen, the longer you charge, the stronger the sword hit and further the flame would go.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, he does have a point that Melee did not need Roy (or any of the clones for that matter) and that Smash 4 doesn't absolutely need him either.
However, it doesn't change the fact he was in Melee, and he'd be great to have back. After all, the only cut Melee vet that needs to come back is Mewtwo.

D

Deleted member

EFF it, Mario doesn't need to come back either.
After all, Capcom proved that the character that is known as the face of the company is not a necessity. :troll:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Firesword. That's why. Edit: Also, and this is coming from a Doc main, saying Doc is more unique from Mario than Roy was from Marth....no. Just...no.
What is Fire Sword? The only 2 Fire Emblems I played were Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. How about Micaiah as new Fire Emblem rep? We need mre females and less swordsman in the next smash game I think.
and your right about Doc, him an the original are pretty simular. Kicked my self in the 4$$ with that one.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What is Fire Sword? The only 2 Fire Emblems I played were Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. How about Micaiah as new Fire Emblem rep? We need mre females and less swordsman in the next smash game I think.
It's not the name of his sword, his sword is the Sword of Seals. I call it a firesword because that's what it is: a sword that sets people on fire.

Micaiah would be neat(a better choice than Lyn for female FE rep IMO), but she doesn't have the recognition that Roy gets.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
It's not the name of his sword, his sword is the Sword of Seals. I call it a firesword because that's what it is: a sword that sets people on fire.

Micaiah would be neat(a better choice than Lyn for female FE rep IMO), but she doesn't have the recognition that Roy gets.
Plus, she doesn't own her own game. Her game is still Ike's game.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
mario should come back overweight with clothes that don't fit him
This was hilarious.:bee:

On another note, the reason people want Roy back is because he's cool. That's it. It's not because his moveset is so unique. He's just a cool-*** character. My favourite Smash characters are always the cool ones(Star Fox and Fire Emblem characters usually). So for that reason I'd love him back as well, but with a different moveset. Roy's our boy.

This was hilarious.:bee:

On another note, the reason people want Roy back is because he's cool. That's it. It's not because his moveset is so unique. He's just a cool-*** character. My favourite Smash characters are always the cool ones(Star Fox and Fire Emblem characters usually). So for that reason I'd love him back as well, but with a different moveset. Roy's our boy.
Sums it up nice. I agree. Roy ****ing rocks. Roy's our boy!!

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I've got a feeling that unless he's scheduled to appear in another Fire Emblem game, Roy will be really battling to get back in. Isaac and another Kid Icarus character would be his big threats. That's just my feeling though, could be wrong.

I'd like him back, but if the choice was mine between him, Issac and another Kid Icarus rep I'd be backing Isaac for franchise diversity's sake.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've got a feeling that unless he's scheduled to appear in another Fire Emblem game, Roy will be really battling to get back in. Isaac and another Kid Icarus character would be his big threats. That's just my feeling though, could be wrong.
Sakurai doesn't have a quota of pseudo-anime looking characters. FE, GS, and KI aren't in the same category for potential inclusion, nor are any unrelated series. Sakurai does a rough quota per series though, so Roy's biggest competition lies with other FE characters, presumably Ike and Chrom. It's probable that FE will receive 3 slots this time, so (as Marth is a guarantee) it will probably come down to either Roy or Chrom for the third slot, as it's probable Ike would be included before them.

Of course Isaac and/or a KI rep (Palutena) -or any potential newcomer- might be given priority over Roy, and they might make it in with him being excluded, but that doesn't mean those specific characters caused him to be excluded, it just means he was lower on the priority list. The only specific characters that theoretically could cause him not to be included are other FE ones.

This is all assuming, of course, that Sakurai actually has the intention to bring him back at all (which there is a good chance of).

I'd like him back, but if the choice was mine between him, Issac and another Kid Icarus rep I'd be backing Isaac for franchise diversity's sake.
Isaac would be my choice too, though not for diversity's sake. :awesome:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

I failt to see how Kid Icarus or Golden Sun would be competing with any Fire Emblem for character positions. The series are wildly different from one another: FE is a Turn-based SRPG, Golden sun a JRPG(never played it, so not sure if turn based), and Kid Icarus an action series(in varying genres). If any characters would be competing with Roy for a slot, it would be Chrom or maybe Lyn.

Edit: If any series would be competing with FE for reps, IMO it would be the Wars series, but most people don't see it as a likely to get a rep.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is some fan artwork of Roy with his new FE13 re-design:

As I mentioned months ago, Roy had one of the most well-received re-designs of of the DLC lords.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All broken links.

Here's some proto-type Roy though, where he was much younger than his other apperances:

Btw, Ike is still much cooler than Roy.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
All broken links.
I see the pictures just fine.

Also, I think its interesting to note that Ike's FE13 re-design was met with a strong negative reaction on both Japanese and Western sites. I think overall its regarded as being the worst re-design of all the FE-lords.

D

Deleted member

I'm rather surprsied prototype Roy was not in Melee, unless his final design was made prior to Sakurai seeing him.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Is anyone else having problems seeing the artwork I posted?

Also, its due to the poor reception of FE13 Ike and FE10 Ike's physical similarity to Chrom, that I think FE10 Ike will probably be the Ike design used for Smash 4.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Is anyone else having problems seeing the artwork I posted?

Also, its due to the poor reception of FE13 Ike and FE10 Ike's physical similarity to Chrom, that I think FE10 Ike will probably be the Ike design used for Smash 4.
I can't see a thing. I can copy/paste the links if I quote your post, though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The pics didn't work for me until I went to the direct link, now they're showing up for me, which is strange.

Personally Ike's redesign isn't my least favorite (though it's close), that'd probably either go to Micaiah or Eirika. Roy is definitely my favorite redesign though.

I think it would be kinda strange if Marth and Roy got their new appearances while Ike didn't, so my personal prediction is his outfit will be an amalgamation of his FE10 and DLC looks, similar to how the Starfox characters get unique Smash designs based on a mix of their appearances.

D

Deleted member

The pictures aren't working for some reason. Curious about those Roy fanarts.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The pics didn't work for me until I went to the direct link, now they're showing up for me, which is strange.

Personally Ike's redesign isn't my least favorite (though it's close), that'd probably either go to Micaiah or Eirika. Roy is definitely my favorite redesign though.

I think it would be kinda strange if Marth and Roy got their new appearances while Ike didn't, so my pe.[/rsonal prediction is his outfit will be an amalgamation of his FE10 and DLC looks, similar to how the Starfox characters get unique Smash designs based on a mix of their appearances
I thought Micaiah's design was the worst too, it was both out of character (dark mage, instead of Micaiah's light priestess) and totally tasteless. Eirika's was not bad, so much as it was out of character (though I suppose they did it as a way of introducing the dlc bride-class). Outside of Roy and Marth, Micaiah seems to have the most artwork of her re-design due to most likely the shameless sex appeal of it.

As for your theory about what they would do with Ike, I think that makes sense, I do agree that it would be odd for Marth and Roy to be in their FE13 designs while Ike isn't.

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
What if they redesigned Roy for the sole purpose of making him relevant again? What are the chances of getting a new fe with roy as the protagonist?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
What if they redesigned Roy for the sole purpose of making him relevant again? What are the chances of getting a new fe with roy as the protagonist?
Roy already got a major re-design. He was released as DLC for FE13 during Golden Week in Japan.

As for a new FE with Roy as the protagonist, I think the most likely way for that to happen would be if FE6 was remade (which one of the higer-ups at Intelligent Systems has expressed interest in).

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
Roy already got a major re-design. He was released as DLC for FE13 during Golden Week in Japan.

As for a new FE with Roy as the protagonist, I think the most likely way for that to happen would be if FE6 was remade (which one of the higer-ups at Intelligent Systems has expressed interest in).
lol. i was saying what if that's the REASON they redesigned him xD

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, speaking of the redesigns, I wouldn't mind if they went FE12 for Marth, FE10 for Ike, and then of coarse FE13 for Chrom. It makes the most sence to me seeing as they're the main character from those games, and the redesigns weren't even made by the people originally creating the characters, so why should they use them? People are really getting too excited about Roy, even though he indeed looks more awesome that way.

If anything, I feel Paris is more likely to star in a next FE game. If that happens, I wouldn't mind giving Ike up for him. But I refuse giving Ike up to Roy really.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Doing a favor for Chrono and pasting em in a proper format (though shrinked a bit)
Thanks Young Horsetail, I am re-pasting them again since they were at the bottom of the page by the time you fixed it. Hopefully, now people will be able to see it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^The middle one is my favorite, though they're all good. :D

lol. i was saying what if that's the REASON they redesigned him xD
That would be a valid theory if they hadn't also redesigned like 10 other lords. They can't have plans to make games for all of them. :rolleyes:

While if they were to make another game for Roy or remake his (which might be a possibility), his redesign would probably be used due to its extremely positive feedback, it's highly unlikely he was redesigned with the plan for more games immediately after Awakening using this appearance. If there was any FE character to keep an eye on, it'd probably be Paris, like Diddy said.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Or at the very least, Paris might act as a sort of 'Anna-like' character, crossing over to other universes. Always felt that within FE9 and FE10 aka Tellius there would likely be more land around, as the map on the east from Begnion and Daein seems to connect to... more. And the Goddess Yune who sunk the other continents. Ike probably wanted to test out if that was true so he set of to Iris, aka FE13's world, which is actually a renamed Akaneia.

So yeah, imo Marth, Ike and Chrom will most likely be the characters we see for Fire Emblem in Smash.

Note how the Falchion and Ragnell are still weapons in FE13, and the Sword of Seals is nowhere to be found. Even though it was the most powerful sword on it's continent, and had the game being named after it.

Like the second picture most as well, but am freaked out with the background effects. Or is it his cape? If it is, why does he parade with it as if he walks the runway? :smirk:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So yeah, imo Marth, Ike and Chrom will most likely be the characters we see for Fire Emblem in Smash.
I think Marth, Ike, and Chrom is actually the least likely combination we will see.

Here is what I think is going to happen from most likely to least likely:
1. Marth, Roy, and Ike
2. Marth and Chrom
3. Marth, Chrom, and Roy
4. Marth and Ike
5. Marth, Chrom, and Ike

Keep in mind Roy is one of the two most wanted characters for Smash 4 in Japan, and Roy is one of the Top 10 most wanted characters in the West as well as the most wanted Fire Emblem character overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom