• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I like Ike and all, but come on, Roy's my boy.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Even if Roy doesn't make it to the initial release, he can always be DLC due to not being finished on time. There's no reason to assume he won't be planned for Smash 4 if he wasn't completely dropped for Brawl like Pichu was.

Dark Emperor Hardin

Smash Cadet
Still, having four heroes without the inclusion of a villain/anti-hero would be strange. Also noted that Ike is the only one of the main lord archetype who isn't extremely similar to Marth. There's nothing wrong with that in my opinion, but originality comes into play here.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't necessarily believe that Roy is going to be included; four Fire Emblem characters seems a little absurd seeing as literally everyone believed that we would only have 3. He could still probably be added as a last minute clone, and I HOPE that he is. But, he has to go up against Chrom, and lets be real (for some reason) everyone thought that Chrom would replace Ike.

Our preconceived notions deceive us.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I think that if Roy is back, then Chrom is out, and instead we'll get Robin.

I mean, Chrom's cool I guess, but Robin offers a lot more to the table than Chrom.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

C'mon now, Robin really is nothing more than an overrated character people shove down everyone's throats. I can see Robin making AT to piss everyone off

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
What does Roy offer that Chrom doesn't? I am genuinely asking, don't take it the wrong way.
PH1R3, DUH.

In all seriousness, though, it could go either way.
C'mon now, Robin really is nothing more than an overrated character people shove down everyone's throats. I can see Robin making AT to piss everyone off
Chrom isn't? :awesome:

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I'll be watching the Ike screens and footage very closely until release to see if he still has Eruption. IIRC, that move was originally planned for Roy in Brawl. It's a long shot, but I think that if Ike doesn't have that move, it could hint at Roy being playable and having that move instead. Though, I'm not holding my breath. I think that an Awakening character is far more likely, and it is nigh impossible for the series to get 4 characters.

What does Roy offer that Chrom doesn't? I am genuinely asking, don't take it the wrong way.
This may be a bit of a stretch, but Roy has fire-based sword attacks and long ranged fire magic when he gets the Sword of Seals in his game. Mind you, I haven't beat Awakening, so I don't know if Chrom can do that.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'll be watching the Ike screens and footage very closely until release to see if he still has Eruption. IIRC, that move was originally planned for Roy in Brawl. It's a long shot, but I think that if Ike doesn't have that move, it could hint at Roy being playable and having that move instead. Though, I'm not holding my breath. I think that an Awakening character is far more likely, and it is nigh impossible for the series to get 4 characters.
Of course, if Roy is back, he'll adquire a bunch of new moves to his arsenal to differentiate from Marth even more, so that he becomes, at the very least, a semi-clone.

As such, it's likely they'll keep Ike's Eruption and give Roy some other move to replace Flare Blade.

This may be a bit of a stretch, but Roy has fire-based sword attacks and long ranged fire magic when he gets the Sword of Seals in his game. Mind you, I've never played Awakening, so I don't know if Chrom can do that.
IIRC, Roy can use Sol, or Sun Sword, which pretty much steals health from his targets. Pretty much a reverse Flare Blade.

I imagine Roy returning as a double edged type of character, with some attacks dealing wild damage but recoil on him considerably (like Pichu), but has Sun Sword to compensate.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Of course, if Roy is back, he'll adquire a bunch of new moves to his arsenal to differentiate from Marth even more, so that he becomes, at the very least, a semi-clone.

As such, it's likely they'll keep Ike's Eruption and five Roy some other move to replace Flare Blade.

IIRC, Roy can use Sol, or Sun Sword, which pretty much steals health from his targets. Pretty much a reverse Flare Blade.

I imagine Roy returning as a double edged type of character, with some attacks dealing wild damage but recoil on him considerably (like Pichu), but has Sun Sword to compensate.
I suppose I just don't understand the logic of making Roy a semi-clone when they could just make Mr. Promotional a semi-clone. I would want Roy to come back as a new character.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I suppose I just don't understand the logic of making Roy a semi-clone when they could just make Mr. Promotional a semi-clone. I would want Roy to come back as a new character.
Hence "at the very least". Like, the most minimal thing they should do to him is to make him even slightly more unique.

Of course, the best scenario should be making him a fresh new character.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage

As such, it's likely they'll keep Ike's Eruption and five Roy some other move to replace Flare Blade.

I love this concept. One of my biggest worries is that if he were to return, Roy would have a new moveset and playstyle that I wouldn't be interested in. However, this sounds like a playstyle I would have a lot of fun learning how to master.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336

I want this NOW!

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Geez, if Fire Emblem fans had their way, over half the roster would be FE reps. Now you could say that for any series, but look for yourself, no other franchise here has multiple, ongoing threads for so many characters. Roy, Chrom, Robin, Lucina, Anna, and in the past the Black Knight. That's crazy. Sure Mario and Pokemon have far more requests then any others combined, but for a smaller sector like Fire Emblem it's rather odd.

Pseudo ranting aside I'm willing to bet that Roy will appear later in DLC as the fourth rep (with Chrom being the third).

D

Deleted member

Even if Roy doesn't make it to the initial release, he can always be DLC due to not being finished on time. There's no reason to assume he won't be planned for Smash 4 if he wasn't completely dropped for Brawl like Pichu was.
I'm almost confident that Roy will be planned to return for this game. Roy's cut was very likely to do with time constraints and Sakurai did state he had to cut them because of that. Since Roy is one of two of the most wanted characters in Japan as well as being in the Top 10 in the West as well, I actually do think that Sakurai will try to get Roy in. However, since he will be below Chrom in priority, Roy will likely be cut, but like you said, he is a strong contender for DLC character.

I mean, Chrom's cool I guess, but Robin offers a lot more to the table than Chrom.
If we're going by the Gematsu leak, Chrom is already in the game. Roy is not getting in over Chrom ans Ike, so he will have to fight an uphill battle and hope that Fire Emblem ends up with four characters..

Last edited by a moderator:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I always said that if Roy does end up returning in Smash 4 that he would be among the last characters added to the game (probably second to last). As others have said, he is a prime candidate for a DLC character assuming such characters do happen.

We very likely won't know whether Roy will return until Smash 4's release in August or September.

Very curious about how Sakurai plans to differentiate Chrom from Ike since I do believe the Gematsu leak.

Personally, I am 50/50 on Roy's return. He is definitely a character that could fall victim to time constraints.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
There's still a possible chance Roy could get in. I'm not counting him out just yet.
If he is in, I think he'd either be hidden until 3DS release, or appear in a trailer at E3 alongside the Awakening rep.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I'm almost confident that Roy will be planned to return for this game. Roy's cut was very likely to do with time constraints and Sakurai did state he had to cut them because of that. Since Roy is one of two of the most wanted characters in Japan as well as being in the Top 10 in the West as well, I actually do think that Sakurai will try to get Roy in. However, since he will be below Chrom in priority, Roy will likely be cut, but like you said, he is a strong contender for DLC character.If we're going by the Gematsu leak, Chrom is already in the game. Roy is not getting in over Chrom ans Ike, so he will have to fight an uphill battle and hope that Fire Emblem ends up with four characters..
What makes you think that Chrom is at high prority? The leak? This isn't right, believing in a leak and thinking that a character as a priority based on that...

Last edited:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I've never been that interested in Fire Emblem, so I've never known him as anything but a Smash character, but Roy's Project: M showing has really renewed my interest in him.

I know it's unlikely he will return, but I might feel second-hand satisfaction if he did.

Tohfoo

Smash Cadet
I've never been that interested in Fire Emblem, so I've never known him as anything but a Smash character, but Roy's Project: M showing has really renewed my interest in him.

I know it's unlikely he will return, but I might feel second-hand satisfaction if he did.
I couldn't have said it any better.

ItalianSheathe

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3609-2019-2185
While I strongly support the return of Roy, Please give a different and better moveset. His Melee moveset would have been much better if it wasn't the same as Marth's.:roypm::roymelee:

D

Deleted member

I've seen the idea thrown around that Roy be an alt for Marth, but I don't really understand that. They might as well just give him a separate square on the CSS.
I really don't like this idea, not just because they play differently, but because it makes no sense. Alternate Costumes should be just that; Costumes. Roy is not Marth and Marth is not Roy. What's next? Bowser Jr. as a Bowser alt?

D

Deleted member

I've seen the idea thrown around that Roy be an alt for Marth, but I don't really understand that. They might as well just give him a separate square on the CSS.
Terrible idea. It would devalue Roy as a character to an alt and I would hate to see that happen. Either give him his own spot or don't put him in at all.
While I strongly support the return of Roy, Please give a different and better moveset. His Melee moveset would have been much better if it wasn't the same as Marth's.:roypm::roymelee:
Well if he does return, I do expect some changes. At least Falco's level of uniqueness in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Another funny thing about the Roy as Marth alt idea is that it makes Roy MORE clonish than he was in Melee. Making him an alt causes him to lose all originality; his sweetspot system, his cool victory poses and taunt, maybe his voice, and even teh ph1r3. What's the point of Roy without teh ph1r3?

It's a dumb concept that appeals only to the uninitiated, but we are initiated, aren't we? Bruce

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I'm back.

I really like the idea of Roy using Sol/Luna in his moveset if he's added to the game.
And agreed; him being just an alternate costume would be kind of insulting.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
If Roy and Mewtwo get revealed at the same time tomorrow, my life would be complete.

Not that it'll happen, but it'd definately be the ultimate nostalgia bomb.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Roy is one of the most likely DLC characters I feel. Why? He was one in Awakening to, and he was massively suggested and a Melee veteran.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I feel that if Sakurai does consider Roy as an option to return that most definitely I don't see why FE can't have 4 Reps, with 2 joining the game (Chrom & Roy), its' not like it hasn't happened before with Dedede & Meta Knight coming into Brawl, and all considered, maybe Roy won't have to wait to be DLC, maybe he might be able to squeeze in, all things considered, he was my fav/main in melee, so I have my finger's crossed for him & Mewtwo..

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
I have a very strong feeling that at least one of the forgotten five from Melee will be making a return to SSB4, and in my eyes the most likely candidate is Roy. Both Mewtwo and Roy were initially planned to be in Brawl, as hacking into the game's files shows. So why wouldn't one of them show up for this game? We already have four Pokemon representatives, and I'm almost 100% sure that Jigglypuff is returning as well. Lucario seems to be serving as Mewtwo's replacement even more than he did in Brawl, so there's that. Fire Emblem is a series that has so far never had more than two representatives in the same game, but with its rising popularity I feel like this is going to change. As such I expect both Roy and Chrom to make it into the new games; bringing back an old favorite and introducing a well known new lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom