• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander

Smash Ace
....what?

Okay, seriously. What FE games have you actually played?

And how the hell would Chrom represent FE4? That'd be like me saying that Roy is important because he could also represent FE5.

Not counting his appearance in Melee, he's no more or less important than any Lord not named Marth or Ike.

As for uniqueness, assuming you mean what sets him apart from Marth, Roy(from what I know) tends to play more aggressively than Marth. He's pretty much a glass cannon, since he doesn't really have the tools to play defensively (unlike Marth).

There's a Reddit post that does a good job highlighting the differences between Marth and Roy. Also, once Apex 2014 videos start going up, I'd suggest you start watching some videos of Melee/P:M Marth and P:M Roy to see the differences yourself.

....of course, none of this will matter to you if all you care about is the fact that he's a clone.
Chrom's design is based on Sigurd. He is made to look like Sigurd, Tiki says in her support with the avatar that he looks like Sigurd, and Awakening's entire story is based on that of FE4. Chrom and Sigurd are also the most similar in personality, both being super patriotic good guys who believed they could win mostly because they were the good guys. In both cases it didn't work out like that but in Chrom's case Lucina's time travel made it much less dark than it was going to be.

Roy actually played extremely defensively in Melee because all of his attacks were unsafe on hit. Marth on the other hand, is played by switching by switching between defensive and offensive whenever the situation calls for it. Roy also is still out classed by Marth in P:M because Marth is just the better designed character. I don't mind clones when they work well, but unless they port over the P:M Roy then there wouldn't be anything good about him. I actually play Roy casually in P:M and he has some interesting stuff but, he has nothing really great and he is still unimportant to the FE franchise. When IS gets around to remaking his game, they said they were thinking about it, then he probably could be considered more important for the franchise.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Does anyone else think the confirmation of Lucario bodes well for other low priority veterans?

Sakurai might very well bring everyone back (except maybe Snake) and both Mewtwo and Roy.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I think Sakurai is trying to bring everyone back. If everyone doesn't returns, it will be because time contrasts, and HE already said that the new smash won't have many newcomers, so it will make sense, since he will try to bring everyone back.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Does anyone else think the confirmation of Lucario bodes well for other low priority veterans?

Sakurai might very well bring everyone back (except maybe Snake) and both Mewtwo and Roy.
Yes, a no cuts scenario sounds really believable now.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Part of my dream last night:

I went into a store and looked at a magazine rack. There I saw a Mad magazine with Roy on the cover and in the magazine there's articles on Roy. I was freaking out saying something like, "OMG why would Roy be on the cover!? Is he that popular to appear in an American magazine? Maybe it's because FE6 is getting localized or because he's getting into Smash 4!?"

I wish the last two would become real. :(

Anyway, I want to believe that there will be no cuts + Mewtwo and Roy, though I'm still keeping my expectations a bit low on these things. I think getting a character a la Sonic is unlikely (plus I can't think of anyone on Sonic's level that hasn't been added) -- if we were to get a late character addition, it would have already happened by now as Smash 4 is already getting close to the release date (Sonic was added in around 1 year prior to Brawl's release). So if that's the case, there won't be a character + all content relating to said character to take up time/resources. Also, Story Mode is gone, and I think that was a priority as well. So who knows what will happen with Roy and potential low priority characters.

There's also the chance of DLC happening to include characters that couldn't make it due to time restrains or whatever reason. Although I'm a little sceptical on DLC characters appearing, we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Yea this game could do SOOO many things with dlc.

Like maybe a character is $3-5 and a stage for 2 or 3 and maybe a pack is 10-20 depending on the content.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm personally hoping Icies, ROB and Game & Watch DO get cut. I'd take Roy over any of these janky has-beens.

A man can dream.
All three of them are more likely than Roy is.

This topic really died in terms of activity. I really need to get around to posting more here again.

On the plus side, its possible Roy may be confirmed next month since FE6's anniversary is in late March.

Still, assuming Sakurai still plans on having characters that he does not plan to confirm until the game's release, I think Roy would be among those characters.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oh wow, I completely forgot FE6 was released in March. Damn, stop getting my hopes up. :( :laugh:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
If Ike gets revealed... this will hurts Roy's chances?
If Chrom gets revealed... this will hurts Roy's chances?
If BOTH... this will eliminate Roy's chances?

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I wonder if they would replace him as the Project M rep in the banner if he was revealed.
I'd assume he would stay, Mario's still the 64 rep, and if Falco got revealed anytime soon, he'd probably still be the Melee rep.
If Ike gets revealed... this will hurts Roy's chances?
If Chrom gets revealed... this will hurts Roy's chances?
If BOTH... this will eliminate Roy's chances?
If Ike is revealed, that probably won't reduce his chances, as I think we're all expecting Ike to return before Roy.
If Chrom or both gets revealed, he's not exactly eliminated by his chances have went down alot, with the small possibility that we'll get 4 FE characters.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I'm not overly concerned about not seeing Roy back.

He won't make the initial roster but all the smash veterans will probably be DLC anyhow.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Do you guys think Melee returning characters like Roy should get reveal videos? not a CGI trailer, just a simple video, like the one for sonic.

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I don't think we'll be seeing Roy, but it'd be cool to see him back again.

As long as he's reasonably buffed and a little more de-cloned.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I honestly think the only way Roy's is getting in is through dlc...Maybe he'll be a Marth costume if there's no dlc.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised there's so much discussion here. I find myself doubting Ike's return, and people think that Roy has a chance? There's not a single chance. There's no reason for him to come back, even if they didn't cut anybody from Brawl. Roy is as likely to get in as Dr. Mario.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I honestly think the only way Roy's is getting in is through dlc...Maybe he'll be a Marth costume if there's no dlc.
That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Even with his huge following and a request count that rivals Mewtwo's, there's just way too much competition in the FE sector for our boy to have any shot. Thus the only real chance Roy has is DLC later down the road, assuming there will be any DLC to begin with.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm surprised there's so much discussion here. I find myself doubting Ike's return, and people think that Roy has a chance? There's not a single chance. There's no reason for him to come back, even if they didn't cut anybody from Brawl. Roy is as likely to get in as Dr. Mario.
As it stands I believe Roy is currently sitting at the number 2 most wanted character in Japanese polls, just after Mewtwo(although he enjoys worldwide popularity and fame). Roy is a big deal in Japan by the looks of things.

Dr. Mario I have no idea about, but I think it's safe to assume he isn't in spot three of that poll.

I'm pretty unsure these days if Roy will return alongside Ike and Marth, but it's not like he's an unwanted individual judging by his Japanese popularity and lesser popularity in the west(which isn't bad considering we never got his game and he's considered an inferior clone of Marth amongst the Smash community, yet somehow is still notably popular).

I agree with what many others say here; if DLC characters DO happen I expect Roy will be one of the very first in a Melee pack.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Quite honestly if Awakening didn't exist Roy probably would have a much better time of it. Then again FE wouldn't exist anymore without Awakening's success, but that's another topic.

The point is, with Marth, (hopefully) Ike, and the inevitable third newcomer (Chrom, Lucina, Robin, whoever), he has no room.

FE has certainly grown big enough to warrant three slots, but four is pushing it in all likelihood.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
As it stands I believe Roy is currently sitting at the number 2 most wanted character in Japanese polls, just after Mewtwo(although he enjoys worldwide popularity and fame). Roy is a big deal in Japan by the looks of things.

Dr. Mario I have no idea about, but I think it's safe to assume he isn't in spot three of that poll.

I'm pretty unsure these days if Roy will return alongside Ike and Marth, but it's not like he's an unwanted individual judging by his Japanese popularity and lesser popularity in the west(which isn't bad considering we never got his game and he's considered an inferior clone of Marth amongst the Smash community, yet somehow is still notably popular).

I agree with what many others say here; if DLC characters DO happen I expect Roy will be one of the very first in a Melee pack.
I still see no reason for Roy to return. I'm sure everyone remembers Sakurai's Miiverse post on Waluigi's reveal. I think it sent a strong, clear message of "even if characters are popular, it doesn't mean they'll make it in". Wii Fit Trainer is proof positive of Sakurai's method. He includes characters for a number of reasons: Some to stand for popular series (Mario, Marth, Pikachu, etc. Main characters/mascots), others to shed light on older, oft-forgotten games (Ice Climbers, Pit, characters like Takamaru); some characters celebrate the company's past (Game and Watch, R.O.B., WFTrainer; "hardware" characters), characters that support or oppose the main cast/ are an essential part of that series (Bowser and Luigi, Zelda, Diddy, etc.), fresh faces of long-running franchises (Roy who was then switched for Ike, Rosalina, etc.), reps from games that may not have as much popularity, but are nonetheless a part of the Nintendo family (Ness and Lucas, Olimar, Fox, etc.), and third party characters that have met with Nintendo and seen success in the past (Snake, Sonic, Mega Man).

Popularity may be a factor, but that's after all this and more, which make for a more diverse and interesting line-up, in my opinion. If it was popularity-based, we'd see characters from far fewer games. Sakurai throwing in surprises and unexpected characters makes it more exciting. Super Smash Bros is a game where Nintendo celebrates its long and rich history as architects for entire worlds, and all those worlds meet to face off in ridiculous bouts full of awesome multiplayer fun. And that's why I love it. It's a love letter to video game fans, from the Big N.

...Geez I got a bit carried away, didn't I?

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I still see no reason for Roy to return. I'm sure everyone remembers Sakurai's Miiverse post on Waluigi's reveal. I think it sent a strong, clear message of "even if characters are popular, it doesn't mean they'll make it in". Wii Fit Trainer is proof positive of Sakurai's method. He includes characters for a number of reasons: Some to stand for popular series (Mario, Marth, Pikachu, etc. Main characters/mascots), others to shed light on older, oft-forgotten games (Ice Climbers, Pit, characters like Takamaru); some characters celebrate the company's past (Game and Watch, R.O.B., WFTrainer; "hardware" characters), characters that support or oppose the main cast/ are an essential part of that series (Bowser and Luigi, Zelda, Diddy, etc.), fresh faces of long-running franchises (Roy who was then switched for Ike, Rosalina, etc.), reps from games that may not have as much popularity, but are nonetheless a part of the Nintendo family (Ness and Lucas, Olimar, Fox, etc.), and third party characters that have met with Nintendo and seen success in the past (Snake, Sonic, Mega Man).

Popularity may be a factor, but that's after all this and more, which make for a more diverse and interesting line-up, in my opinion. If it was popularity-based, we'd see characters from far fewer games. Sakurai throwing in surprises and unexpected characters makes it more exciting. Super Smash Bros is a game where Nintendo celebrates its long and rich history as architects for entire worlds, and all those worlds meet to face off in ridiculous bouts full of awesome multiplayer fun. And that's why I love it. It's a love letter to video game fans, from the Big N.

...Geez I got a bit carried away, didn't I?
An inspiring speech to be sure, but I think your point kinda got lost in the process.

But I do see what you mean though. Fire Emblem is a series with constantly changing main characters, so it automatically lends itself to new faces each time with the only mainstay being Marth. With that fact in mind, Ike himself could indeed be in trouble, let alone Roy having any chance to come back.

However if Ike does return along with a FE newcomer(s), then that debunks said theory. Also, Roy was supposedly going to be in Brawl but got cut, so that event of him not making it was probably a special case.

Finally FE has grown substantially since Brawl, which in turn might mean more slots for that franchise. In other words, there should be enough room for both old and new, instead of the idea of only two spots like Melee/Brawl.

Last edited:

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
An inspiring speech to be sure, but I think your point kinda got lost in the process.

But I do see what you mean though. Fire Emblem is a series with constantly changing main characters, so it automatically lends itself to new faces each time with the only mainstay being Marth. With that fact in mind, Ike himself could indeed be in trouble, let alone Roy having any chance to come back.

However if Ike does return along with a FE newcomer(s), then that debunks said theory. Also, Roy was supposedly going to be in Brawl but got cut, so that event of him not making it was probably a special case.

Finally FE has grown substantially since Brawl, which in turn might mean more slots for that franchise. In other words, there should be enough room for both old and new, instead of the idea of only two spots like Melee/Brawl.
Yeah, by the end of my rant I think I lost my point. And I agree, FE has grown tremendously since Brawl, which may in fact warrant another slot for them. I should think that three slots would be the absolute maximum for the series, and if anyone, Ike or another rep from Awakening are likely to fill that slot. Roy hasn't been relevant (even in his own series) since Sword of Seals, which is old; but not old enough to consider him a "classic" character. I just don't see a compelling argument for him to get in (barring DLC, but iirc Nintendo said no DLC, but I can't recall for certain.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom