• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Assuming Roy is in Smash 4, do you think he will be kept hidden by Nintendo before release, or announced at some point before the game is released?
They would show Roy before the game comes out mainly because he isn't expected for the most part to be playable, and we all know Sakurai loves to be unpredictable.

D

Deleted member

Assuming Roy is in Smash 4, do you think he will be kept hidden by Nintendo before release, or announced at some point before the game is released?
Considering that Toon Link has already been revealed (and he's not exactly a high priority character), I expect to find out all of the playable characters before release. I think the days of unlockable characters are over for Smash.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I will just make a plea for Roy
Please Sakurai, return Roy for us...

Last edited by a moderator:

Blurr-kill

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blurr-kil
I feel like he wont put Roy in Smash 4 because they put him in Project M lol, but then again what were his chances in the 1st place. :sadeyes: plz sakuri give us Roy or someone like him so we dont have to deal with Ike

Blurr-kill

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blurr-kil
You're the only one, everyone else likes Ike. And Ike's 23rd in the Tier list, he certainly doesn't need to be nerfed.
Damn. Well truth be told i use to like ike.. then i became a hipster and hopped off the bandwagon lol, but i feel like ikes not coming back either only because it would ruin the "patern" FE has going in smash

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
I hope they bring Roy back seeing what they did with him in Project M made me want him back. The only two imo that shouldnt return as their own character is Pichu and Dr.Mario (They can be costume changes, allowing all playable characters to return in some form.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm not feeling overly optimistic on Roy at current.

Unless DLC characters become a thing. In which case I'd be surprised if he isn't the first one included in a "Melee character pack" or a "Cut veteran pack". Mewtwo's likely returning and as Japan's OTHER biggest complaint about the Brawl Roster was the lack of Roy, it's at least possible.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Roy returning is...II don't think he would return since he came just to promote his and he isn't the most recent FE character.Don't get me wrong I like Roy in smash I just don't see it happening.

Marth,Chrom,Ike in smash 4 with Roy as DLC would be nice or even a costume of Marth with changed sounds and gfx if they do something like that this time around.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't think he would return since he came just to promote his [game]
I hear this argument all the time, but do people actually have any evidence that this is why Sakurai chose Roy to be in Melee? Literally the only thing we know is that he was suggested to Sakurai by IS, but why he listened to their suggestion is another matter entirely.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Honestly your probably right...I just assumed that was the case.

Still Roy probably won't be coming back as they will use more recent FE characters most likely,though there's still hope.

Commander

Smash Ace
I hear this argument all the time, but do people actually have any evidence that this is why Sakurai chose Roy to be in Melee? Literally the only thing we know is that he was suggested to Sakurai by IS, but why he listened to their suggestion is another matter entirely.
I have to check into it again but I believe Sakurai put Roy in as a surprise favor for IS and IS didn't suggest him. Sakurai has a close relationship with IS which is why he listened to their suggestion in regards to Ike and went to them to show off the Brawl design of Marth.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I have to check into it again but I believe Sakurai put Roy in as a surprise favor for IS and IS didn't suggest him. Sakurai has a close relationship with IS which is why he listened to their suggestion in regards to Ike and went to them to show off the Brawl design of Marth.
Checking back on Sir Ilpalazzo's character essay, it doesn't seem that Sakurai actually gave a reason why he added Roy, aside from the clone/model swap thing that applies for the other clones.

There's a NeoGAF user named cednym who claimed that Roy was added after being shown to Sakurai by IS,, but it's poorly sourced, so I'd take it with a bucket of salt.

Here's a source where Sakurai apparently talks about Roy, but it's in Japanese and Google's translation is pretty wretched.

So, in all honesty, we don't know why Roy was added at all.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Mewtwo's the only thing worth keeping from Melee's clone-infested roster.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
With the given sources we have, all we could do is speculate as to why Roy was added, really. I still haven't seen any compelling arguments stating that Roy was added solely for promotion, though. And I know I keep saying this, but I do believe the promotion was more of an added side bonus. Things would have been a lot different and interesting if FE6 was release before or around the time of Melee... that's for sure.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Of course you'd go for one of the weakest ones.

Not Marth
Not Peach
Not Fox
Not Captain Falcon

****ing.

Mewtwo.
So? I'm not talking about what character's best for wavedashing your way to victory, more like, the coolness of the character instead.

Commander

Smash Ace
So? I'm not talking about what character's best for wavedashing your way to victory, more like, the coolness of the character instead.
What's cool about Roy? He is just a Marth expy and his entire game is supposed to feel like Marth's game.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
What's cool about Roy? He is just a Marth expy and his entire game is supposed to feel like Marth's game.
That being my point...? Roy's just an uninspired Marth clone who's a flavor-of-the-month character (Unfortunately, Ike's also flavor-of-the-month)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Oh wow, what convincing and original "arguments" that haven't been heard over a hundred times before.

Troll harder.

Commander

Smash Ace
That being my point...? Roy's just an uninspired Marth clone who's a flavor-of-the-month character (Unfortunately, Ike's also flavor-of-the-month)
Sorry. I misunderstood the situation, however Ike is hardly flavor of the month. He is one of only two Lords to have multiple games and he got Priam in Awakening. Priam alone shows that IS thinks Ike is very important to Fire Emblem. Marth is the only Lord who out does Ike in those regards. Ike is also the only Lord who is based on the mercenary class (Hector is not important enough and spends all of FE7 attached to Eliwood).
Oh wow, what convincing and original "arguments" that haven't been heard over a hundred times before.

Troll harder.
How often an argument is used does not speak to how valid it is. I have never heard a good argument as to what makes Roy important or original. Instead of just saying "you're a troll!" when someone disagrees with you, why not try actually arguing your side?

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Sorry. I misunderstood the situation, however Ike is hardly flavor of the month. He is one of only two Lords to have multiple games and he got Priam in Awakening. Priam alone shows that IS thinks Ike is very important to Fire Emblem. Marth is the only Lord who out does Ike in those regards. Ike is also the only Lord who is based on the mercenary class (Hector is not important enough and spends all of FE7 attached to Eliwood).

How often an argument is used does not speak to how valid it is. I have never heard a good argument as to what makes Roy important or original. Instead of just saying "you're a troll!" when someone disagrees with you, why not try actually arguing your side?
I guess Ike is still kinda relevant, but no Chrom would be an insult to FE fans, after all, Awakening's been called the best FE by many, I'm pretty sure that warrants a spot, especially considering that Chrom wouldn't be a clone like Mr. Unimportant.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I guess Ike is still kinda relevant, but no Chrom would be an insult to FE fans, after all,
Since when was this the Ike thread.

I don't see how removing Ike(AKA one of only two Lords to have a leading role in multiple games, and the only Lord other than Marth to get a descendant in Awakening).
Awakening's been called the best FE by many, I'm pretty sure that warrants a spot,
It's been called the best FE mostly by people who have only played Awakening. From my experience, most of the older fans(and Awakening fans who go back to play other games) tend to consider the older games better.
especially considering that Chrom wouldn't be a clone like Mr. Unimportant.
[citation needed]

Also, Chrom isn't any more or less important than Roy. Literally the only thing he has as an edge is recency.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Mmm, yeah. Ike really is no flavour-of-the-month. I think an important thing is that Ike does have good longevity, considering how much IS is fond of Ike, and all the Ike related stuff post-FE9. Seriously, I don't really think Sakurai really follows this "flavour-of-the-month" mentality much considering his whole view on choosing Pokemon.
Sakurai said:
For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward.

But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.
He's explaining that longevity, among other things, is important. This "flavour-of-the-month" thing is absurd... especially considering Roy was planned for Brawl. Logically, if he did make it in, Roy would have been luigified similar to Falco, Ganondorf, etc. Who knows what plans Sakurai had for Roy...

Commander

Smash Ace
Also, Chrom isn't any more or less important than Roy. Literally the only thing he has as an edge is recency.
Actually Chrom has this really weird level of importance. One thing is that Awakening was designed as if it was going to be the last FE ever and Chrom has a lot in common with a lot of lords, as if he was designed to be the epitome of all lords. Though the thing that really makes Chrom important is that he is a Sigurd expy. Sigurd is an important lord, FE4 defined what most of modern Fire Emblem is, but he can't really be used because he is a mounted unit. His son wouldn't work either because he is a myrmidon and the entire myrmidon move set is already being used for Marth. Chrom can be considered an out of the box method of representing FE4, and he also makes a good series rep simply because of the nature of Awakening's development. The biggest issue with Chrom's move set I can think is his recovery. I can't think of a move he could use to do so other than dolphin slash because he never jumps high into the air.

I would really like to hear your argument as to why Roy is important or unique and makes a good rep.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Actually Chrom has this really weird level of importance. One thing is that Awakening was designed as if it was going to be the last FE ever and Chrom has a lot in common with a lot of lords, as if he was designed to be the epitome of all lords. Though the thing that really makes Chrom important is that he is a Sigurd expy. Sigurd is an important lord, FE4 defined what most of modern Fire Emblem is, but he can't really be used because he is a mounted unit. His son wouldn't work either because he is a myrmidon and the entire myrmidon move set is already being used for Marth. Chrom can be considered an out of the box method of representing FE4, and he also makes a good series rep simply because of the nature of Awakening's development. The biggest issue with Chrom's move set I can think is his recovery. I can't think of a move he could use to do so other than dolphin slash because he never jumps high into the air.
....what?

Okay, seriously. What FE games have you actually played?

And how the hell would Chrom represent FE4? That'd be like me saying that Roy is important because he could also represent FE5.
I would really like to hear your argument as to why Roy is important or unique and makes a good rep.
Not counting his appearance in Melee, he's no more or less important than any Lord not named Marth or Ike.

As for uniqueness, assuming you mean what sets him apart from Marth, Roy(from what I know) tends to play more aggressively than Marth. He's pretty much a glass cannon, since he doesn't really have the tools to play defensively (unlike Marth).

There's a Reddit post that does a good job highlighting the differences between Marth and Roy. Also, once Apex 2014 videos start going up, I'd suggest you start watching some videos of Melee/P:M Marth and P:M Roy to see the differences yourself.

....of course, none of this will matter to you if all you care about is the fact that he's a clone.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I think Chrom's just outright better than Roy...and Awakening IS the best FE, I've played Shadow Dragon, Path of Radiance and Radiant Down, and none of them even come close to the game Awakening is. Chrom's recovery...that's a tough one.

And no, this is the Ike thread, it's just that one of the main reasons to cut Roy is that every other candidate's better than him.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
And no, this is the Ike thread, it's just that one of the main reasons to cut Roy is that every other candidate's better than him.
Subjective. When I seem Chrom, I see nothing more than an Ike/Marth hybrid that will probably end up as redundant to Ike.

Lyn probably might be a more interesting choice from a gameplay standpoint, but she's got almost nothing going for her otherwise.

I will admit to Ike being better that Roy, along with every other potential FE newcomer. Good thing that I don't think they'll be competing for a place(they weren't during much of Brawl's development).

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Subjective. When I seem Chrom, I see nothing more than an Ike/Marth hybrid that will probably end up as redundant to Ike.

Lyn probably might be a more interesting choice from a gameplay standpoint, but she's got almost nothing going for her otherwise.

I will admit to Ike being better that Roy, along with every other potential FE newcomer. Good thing that I don't think they'll be competing for a place(they weren't during much of Brawl's development).
If Roy comes back Luigified, I'll have no problem, but if he takes up Chrom's spot then I'll be pissed, Chrom's got the potential for a very interesting moveset that could be a middle ground between Marth and Ike, focused a little on power and a little on speed at the same time.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
If Roy comes back Luigified, I'll have no problem, but if he takes up Chrom's spot then I'll be pissed, Chrom's got the potential for a very interesting moveset that could be a middle ground between Marth and Ike, focused a little on power and a little on speed at the same time.
How would he take the spot of a character that isn't even in the game? What's so special about Chrom that he should just be given his own slot?

Oh, and lol at complaining about clones but then wanting Chrom to be nothing more that a Marth/Ike lovechild.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
How would he take the spot of a character that isn't even in the game? What's so special about Chrom that he should just be given his own slot?

Oh, and lol at complaining about clones but then wanting Chrom to be nothing more that a Marth/Ike lovechild.
Given that Marth and Ike are completely different characters, I don't see how a middle-ground character would be a clone, I meant a middle-ground in terms of speed-power balance. And Chrom's the protagonist of the game that singlehandedly prevented the Fire Emblem franchise from shutting down, and one of the best, if not the best FE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom