• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Like I said, its interesting how Chrom fans go into the Roy thread to bash Roy, but Roy fans never go into the Chrom thread to bash Chrom.

I think though a lot of FE13 fans are just very immature (just look at how they act on GameFAQs and 4chan, they literally say stuff like "mai waifu" unironically).
what are you talking about? Chrom gets bashed from all sides of the FE fanbase, including the Roy fans on his thread.

I think a lot of the new FE fans generated from FE13 are young. That's why FE13's new fans are "immature"; they are acting their age, which would mean they really aren't acting immature. It sucks that some of the fans are like that, but they are young and will eventually grow up into true FE fans.

Ranking characters by utility in the Fire Emblem games makes sense. And that popularity usually carries over to who their favorite character which translates into who they want for Smash. It's perfectly logical. It's unfortunate Roy was underpowered until the final chapters in his game, but that doesn't really affect his chances. Sakurai has used stat distributions for the basis of some his characters. Roy, as a clone, did not, but Marth's lighter nature and speed are part of his role in Smash. Ike, while in his PoR appearance, actually acted very much like his RD appearance in his slower speed and high strength. I'm not sure what role this would play in his luigification for SSB4, should he appear.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
what are you talking about? Chrom gets bashed from all sides of the FE fanbase, including the Roy fans on his thread.
No, I am saying that unlike Chrom fans, Roy fans don't go into the Chrom thread and bash Chrom, whereas the Chrom fans go into the Roy thread.

Secondly, I wouldn't say stats influence movesets.

Ike basically excelled in every single category in FE9, yet for the sake of balance, Sakurai made him deficient in certain areas such as speed and recovery, and not as heavy as most power characters typically are (since he has a rather long disjointed hitbox).

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
No, I am saying that unlike Chrom fans, Roy fans don't go into the Chrom thread and bash Chrom, whereas the Chrom fans go into the Roy thread.

Secondly, I wouldn't say stats influence movesets.

Ike basically excelled in every single category in FE9, yet for the sake of balance, Sakurai made him deficient in certain areas such as speed and recovery, and not as heavy as most power characters typically are (since he has a rather long disjointed hitbox).
yeah, and there are roy fans that have bashed him on the Chrom thread.

And as I said, Ike is influenced by his FE10 stat distribution, it seems to me.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The only one who actively bashes Chrom here is Xenoblaze (aka Habanero), but he doesn't give a **** about Roy either.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't think Habanero is a Roy fan, so much as he is a "I don't like Chrom" guy.
The only one who actively bashes Chrom here is Xenoblaze (aka Habanero), but he doesn't give a **** about Roy either.
wasn't talking about him, obviously.
there are usually a few roy fans who come in now and then, throw a dig in at Chrom, and then leave. Havent had any since the site crash though. I'm just saying let's not put on any white hats on members of any part of the FE fanbase. And not aware of whoever triggered this discussion identifying as Chrom fan either.

But considering Roy is one of the more popular characters on this board (judging by the big poll), I guess he might get more bashing.

I don't want to derail the thread so continue forth with whatever was being talked about prior.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't think Habanero is a Roy fan, so much as he is a "I don't like Chrom" guy.
If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd go with Roy. Granted both are not going to be that interesting in the end anyway, but choosing the lesser of two evils is usually the better option in the end.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
He has Project M going for him at least!

I'm sure that can hold some of you over until he gets announced for SSB4 ;3

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
In two days we could get Mewtwo.

Hopefully, more attention will then be brought to Roy shortly afterward.

I am curious how Sakurai is going to treat resurrected Melee veterans. People seem to treat them as newcomers, but they are definitely not in the traditional sense. However, I could easily see Sakurai giving them their own trailer like he does with newcomers. Perhaps he might even give a new term to describe them?

I do think Roy's inclusion in Project M will help more people support him. Too bad there has not been a release date set yet for 3.0.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Pretty much everyone will be using Mewtwo or Roy when 3.0 comes and the fact that Roy is now better, people will start to like him I'm sure.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Pretty much everyone will be using Mewtwo or Roy when 3.0 comes and the fact that Roy is now better, people will start to like him I'm sure.
Yeah, I am really looking forward to the 3.0 release. Its going to be great to finally see Roy how he would have been had he been in Brawl. Just two more months to go.

On a side note, unfortunately we didn't get any Pokemon confirmation. However, I still think we are going to get a character confirmation within the coming days, it just won't be Pokemon related.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Yeah, I am really looking forward to the 3.0 release. Its going to be great to finally see Roy how he would have been had he been in Brawl. Just two more months to go.

On a side note, unfortunately we didn't get any Pokemon confirmation. However, I still think we are going to get a character confirmation within the coming days, it just won't be Pokemon related.
Hopefully not, but we have a chance of seeing the Mii tomorrow.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
He can decide to give Marth a Lucina costume and thus wrapping up Awakening representation so to speak and then give the third slot to Roy. There's also the possibility he's settling for gender neutral characters like Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager therefore hurting Chrom in advantage of the tactician.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Needs more Roy talk.
I think the one really good thing that is going to come out of Project M 3.0 demo is that it will make far more people comfortable with the idea of Roy coming back as a luigi-fied clone, and how he could still be a great addition to the roster even if he is not completely unique.

Still 3.0 is a late December release at the earliest. At the latest it will be released during Q1 2014.

It will be a very great thing to tide us over for the actual Smash 4 (which will be less than a year away at that point).

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Roy was pretty well received in the Project M crowd, most are pretty hyped to use him which as Chrono said could open people up to the idea of Roy returning as a semi-clone similar to how Wolf is to Fox, having different A moves but similar specials although in Roy's case he would only share 3 considering if Marth's shield breaker stays a stabbing move and they could also change up his DED animations.

low tier user

Smash Cadet
Id like to see Roy return with the same specials and back aerial. Everything else can change for all I care.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Two weeks before we finally get to play with Roy (and Mewtwo) alongside the rest of the Brawl cast. I have been dreaming of this ever since I learned those two never returned for Brawl.

I am really excited to see what a luigi-fied and balanced Roy can bring to Brawl's cast and Smash 4 in general.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
For the record, Roy got new attacks in order to improve on the character. His neutral aerial has a lot more range, his back aerial is a potent finishing move, and Double-Edge Dance having a lot more utility and better linking.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yea, especially now that the tip of Roy's sword doesn't hit like it's made of foam.
I'd say plastic, considering it makes an out of place "Whack!" sound effect. It's not like Marth's which has a "whoosh" or "slash" sound effect or Ike's "pow!" sound effects.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You got that from someone's sig in the Project M section. :cool:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Roy's just looks incomplete.

For starters, having more intense sound effects would of been better, it sounds way too mundane in that Final Smash.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
3.0 AWWWWW YEEEEEEAH!!

I'm very grateful for the hard work put in and OMG I'm so stocked! As soon as I saw Roy (and new characters, a bunch of alt costumes, and other stuff) on the roster I couldn't stop fangirling. And then I played Roy and I was giggling nonstop cuz KYAAH! >w<

Though, I agree. Roy does look kinda incomplete. However, I'm content with what we have for now... AND OMGOMGOMG time to celebrate!!

***PREPARE FOR A DELUGE OF ROY SCREENSHOTS***

Will Sakurai confirm Roy as a playable fighter!? Nothin' to do but to play a waiting game...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Just got back from playing Project M 3.0

They really did a phenomenal job with Roy (and Mewtwo). Truly, I could not have asked for anything more. Playing as Roy through Classic Mode felt just like old times.

I also really like how Roy was luigi-fied. Some of my new favorite moves with Roy include the aerial fire spin, the side-a (forware stab), and of course his new DED moves. Counter is also as incredibly satisfying as ever to pull off correctly.

I would say 3.0 is without a doubt the best Smash Bros. game out now. Prior to this I had considered Melee and Brawl to be equals, but 3.0 takes the best of both worlds, and creates something that could succeed Melee as a game for the ages.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
In Melee, my fave Roy palette swaps are Red and Golden. But I like Blue Roy better in Project M as he looks a little bit closer to his FE6 artwork.

Needs more cool pictures of Roy's neutral air BLAZING HURRICANE.
Dat Nair is pretty sick and hilarious (especially 1/4 speed in training. Also: LOVE the range, baby!). I mean, Roy just holds the sword with both hands, spins around while spewing flames, not giving a ****. When I saw this move, for some reason, this is the first thing that came into my head (well, the spinning part):

Now that I think about it, a FE fighter using a move similar to this critical hit animation would be hilarious. :laugh: Hmm, something different than Link's recovery/IC's side special... maybe a grounded move, but with more utility and control?...

BUT DID SOMEONE SAY BLAZING HURRICANE!!???

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!

FlameEliwood

Smash Rookie
I'm really glad that Roy was included in the Project M 3.0 Update. I had been waiting for this day -FOREVER-. Roy is just kind of my all time favorite and I couldn't wait to see him make a return in the smash series somehow, even if it isn't really an official return. Being able to play as him with other Brawl characters is also a very nice touch! I just really like Roy hah

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Assuming Roy is in Smash 4, do you think he will be kept hidden by Nintendo before release, or announced at some point before the game is released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom