• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Luigi Q&A Thread (CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A THREAD PLEASE)

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
Hey Luigi mains!
I'm making a general character guide and was wondering what are Luigi's best and worst stages?
Also, what are his most vital custom movesets?
All feedback is welcome and thank you in advance :b:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Hey Luigi mains!
I'm making a general character guide and was wondering what are Luigi's best and worst stages?
Also, what are his most vital custom movesets?
All feedback is welcome and thank you in advance :b:
Best stages are probably Battlefield against characters with a better/long reaching projectile than Luigi and also the platforms help for earlier KO power, FD is nice against characters without a projectile, or those with longer limbs than Luigi [DK for example]. Yoshi's Island is good too. I don't have much knowledge on Wii U stages.

I'm not good with custom numbers, but I recommend the ice ball and quick/floating missile. Other less vital options are mach tornado [great recovery, ruins approach and kill option though] and burial header [I haven't seen it used well yet but has a tiny bit of merit...] Avoid easy uppercut and clothesline tornado at all costs. Bouncing fireball is also ok.

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
Best stages are probably Battlefield against characters with a better/long reaching projectile than Luigi and also the platforms help for earlier KO power, FD is nice against characters without a projectile, or those with longer limbs than Luigi [DK for example]. Yoshi's Island is good too. I don't have much knowledge on Wii U stages.

I'm not good with custom numbers, but I recommend the ice ball and quick/floating missile. Other less vital options are mach tornado [great recovery, ruins approach and kill option though] and burial header [I haven't seen it used well yet but has a tiny bit of merit...] Avoid easy uppercut and clothesline tornado at all costs. Bouncing fireball is also ok.
Thank you!
I do need Wii U stages too though...
I'm guessing Smashville and Halberd are beneficial to Luigi as well?

SirPro

Smash Rookie
What are the good and bad stages for Luigi? And can someone explain in detail as to why a certain stage is either good or bad? Thanks!

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I don't think any stage is particularly bad for Luigi. Personally I'm not a fan of Lylat because of the weird ledge. But because Luigi's Up B goes straight up and he has good ledge snapping, it shouldn't be too difficult to recover. Just be careful of using side B too far under. Many Luigi's recover straight up so Duck Hunt and walled Omegas can make edgeuarding him a bit easier. Against Sonic and characters with a better projectile game, don't go to FD. Against a character who primarily kills off the top at early or decent percents, don't go to Halberd. Otherwise they are good stages.

Again, Luigi plays pretty well on all stages. My favorite are BF because of the maneuverability around platforms and Luigi has good platform pressure. He can also evade projectiles well here. I like T&C and Halberd because of low ceilings. And I often use Delfino as a jank counterpick because it can throw people off.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
I avoid FD like the plague unless I'm against Diddy. It can be tough to get in on a lot of characters on such a wide, plain stage. Diddy is (was?) pretty aggro so FD was fine with the added benefit of not having platforms for him to uair you off of to get early kills, though I'm not sure how relevant this is anymore =3.

EarthRyno

Smash Cadet
NNID
EarthRyno
3DS FC
1521-4637-2514
Is there any real advantage to using a jumpless cyclone for recovery? It requires so much more work and presents a higher risk of missing the required presses to get actual elevation than just cycloning out of a double jump.

I see the point in the jumpless clyclone for edge guarding, but, when recovering to the stage, it just doesn't seem practical.

Also, someone should really try to find someone that knows someone that can have someone record Boss' hands doing his jumpless cyclone and post it online for all to see. Just throwing that out there because I'd love to see how he does it. Seriously. You watch him, while he does it, and he's just relaxed sitting there. I have to go through a full body convulsion to make anything happen. What the heck is happening with his hands?

Last edited:

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Is there any real advantage to using a jumpless cyclone for recovery? It requires so much more work and presents a higher risk of missing the required presses to get actual elevation than just cycloning out of a double jump.

I see the point in the jumpless clyclone for edge guarding, but, when recovering to the stage, it just doesn't seem practical.

Also, someone should really try to find someone that knows someone that can have someone record Boss' hands doing his jumpless cyclone and post it online for all to see. Just throwing that out there because I'd love to see how he does it. Seriously. You watch him, while he does it, and he's just relaxed sitting there. I have to go through a full body convulsion to make anything happen. What the heck is happening with his hands?
It prevents you from getting gimped easily. As Luigi, you always want to save your second jump since you recovery is linear and pretty easy to predict. Usually if you're faraway from the stage after your second jump you have no chance of getting back, even with the jumpless cyclone. If you still have your second jump, you can side B towards and below the stage, then use the jumpless cyclone to go higher so that you're close to the ledge but not in a vulnerable position (if you jump and then use the cyclone, you'll overshoot the ledge and you'll be in a really vulnerable position if they see it coming). Then when it's safe, since you still have your second jump after the cyclone you can use it to get the momentum boost for your Up-B height, and sweetspot the ledge, allowing you to get back to the ledge safely. Of course you can always mix up your recovery options, but this is just usually the most effective use for getting back to the stage safely.

Also the jumpless cyclone is really easy to do if you just rub B back and forth with your finger, like I do. If you do it fast enough you can get all the button presses (12 per second) making you get the full height with relative ease.

Last edited:

EarthRyno

Smash Cadet
NNID
EarthRyno
3DS FC
1521-4637-2514
It prevents you from getting gimped easily. As Luigi, you always want to save your second jump since you recovery is linear and pretty easy to predict. Usually if you're faraway from the stage after your second jump you have no chance of getting back, even with the jumpless cyclone. If you still have your second jump, you can side B towards and below the stage, then use the jumpless cyclone to go higher so that you're close to the ledge but not in a vulnerable position (if you jump and then use the cyclone, you'll overshoot the ledge and you'll be in a really vulnerable position if they see it coming). Then when it's safe, since you still have your second jump after the cyclone you can use it to get the momentum boost for your Up-B height, and sweetspot the ledge, allowing you to get back to the ledge safely. Of course you can always mix up your recovery options, but this is just usually the most effective use for getting back to the stage safely.

Also the jumpless cyclone is really easy to do if you just rub B back and forth with your finger, like I do. If you do it fast enough you can get all the button presses (12 per second) making you get the full height with relative ease.
Thanks for the solid answer.

Do you use your index or thumb? If you'd be cool with it, you should take a short video showing how you mash. It would be super helpful. :]

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the solid answer.

Do you use your index or thumb? If you'd be cool with it, you should take a short video showing how you mash. It would be super helpful. :]
I mostly use my index finger, but sometimes I use my middle. I don't know if I'm able to make a video (mostly trying to get good quality on the 3DS) but until then I can try to a short description what I do to mash. I use the tip of my finger and slide it repeatedly back and forth over the B button. I use my fingertip because then I'm sure that my tip would actually be able to press the button each time I slide over it. Think of it like rubbing dirt off the button, except really quickly and with the tip of your finger, that's the best I can explain it.

Also I usually slide parallel to the other buttons (so mostly left and right instead of upwards and downwards) so that I don't accidentally press the other buttons while I'm mashing. It takes some time getting used to but once you practice it enough, it'll pretty much become muscle memory and you'll be able to get the mashing done pretty easily.

EarthRyno

Smash Cadet
NNID
EarthRyno
3DS FC
1521-4637-2514
I mostly use my index finger, but sometimes I use my middle. I don't know if I'm able to make a video (mostly trying to get good quality on the 3DS) but until then I can try to a short description what I do to mash. I use the tip of my finger and slide it repeatedly back and forth over the B button. I use my fingertip because then I'm sure that my tip would actually be able to press the button each time I slide over it. Think of it like rubbing dirt off the button, except really quickly and with the tip of your finger, that's the best I can explain it.

Also I usually slide parallel to the other buttons (so mostly left and right instead of upwards and downwards) so that I don't accidentally press the other buttons while I'm mashing. It takes some time getting used to but once you practice it enough, it'll pretty much become muscle memory and you'll be able to get the mashing done pretty easily.
Do you use the same technique on GC controllers? Just curious.

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Do you use the same technique on GC controllers? Just curious.
I haven't actually tried it with a GC controller yet, but I presume that it would work just fine on that one as well. I'm not sure if it's true but I heard that it's easier to do on the GC controller (not just the button layout, I think the force to press the B button is less than the force required to press the same B button on the 3DS).

EarthRyno

Smash Cadet
NNID
EarthRyno
3DS FC
1521-4637-2514
I haven't actually tried it with a GC controller yet, but I presume that it would work just fine on that one as well. I'm not sure if it's true but I heard that it's easier to do on the GC controller (not just the button layout, I think the force to press the B button is less than the force required to press the same B button on the 3DS).
It's taking a bit for me on the GC controller. I play with a claw grip, so it's not hard or awkward at all to use my index finger to mash. It's just the B button comes up more so the finger catches the edge if you press too hard.

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
I've been trying to find a character that can deal with fast/rushdown guys, e.g. Falcon, Sheik, Mario, those guys. DK just doesn't cut it, and while I used to main Mega Man, I've found that I don't have too much fun playing as him. I also have Shulk experience, but his moves are just a bit too laggy for my liking, so I've pretty much dropped him.. So, will Luigi fit the bill of someone who's good against fast guys, and is as fun to play as as DK?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I've been trying to find a character that can deal with fast/rushdown guys, e.g. Falcon, Sheik, Mario, those guys. DK just doesn't cut it, and while I used to main Mega Man, I've found that I don't have too much fun playing as him. I also have Shulk experience, but his moves are just a bit too laggy for my liking, so I've pretty much dropped him.. So, will Luigi fit the bill of someone who's good against fast guys, and is as fun to play as as DK?
Luigi is about average dealing with rushdown characters. Luigi is slo moving, but attacks very fast, and his fireballs are good at canning some approaches. But I wouldn't really rely on Luigi against Sheik due to him having no response to fair and needles. He can take Mario and Falcon fine though. I personally like ROB against rushdowns for his projectile mixups but that's just me. Pacman is another good choice, having more movement speed. But Luigi is fun I'll tell you that if you like combos for days! No one in this game combos as well as Luigi. Both DK and Luigi are up in your fac characters though that seems to be your style so for that reason you could probably have fun with Luigi while standing your own against rushdowns.

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
Hey guys was just wondering how you recover with the luigi cyclone (down B) command inputs would be helpful

nyanturtwig

Smash Cadet
NNID
nyanturtwig
3DS FC
0490-4718-5860
Has anyone made any kind of in depth guide on what % Luigi can kill on enemies with his attacks, and what combos work on characters at certain %? I was thinking of making that and just wanted to see if someone already did so that I don't waste my time.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So I picked this guy up to cover Wario's hated matchups (mainly Fox, Falcon and Mario) and I'm really liking him. Quick questions though since I don't have time to go over this thread:

1. Is there any way to make Luigi Cyclone hit consistently after a down throw for a kill? Often times they drop before the final hit, which is really annoying. Is there any specific timing?
2. Having trouble sweetspotting the ledge with up B and I always get punished for it. What am I missing?

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
So I picked this guy up to cover Wario's hated matchups (mainly Fox, Falcon and Mario) and I'm really liking him. Quick questions though since I don't have time to go over this thread:

1. Is there any way to make Luigi Cyclone hit consistently after a down throw for a kill? Often times they drop before the final hit, which is really annoying. Is there any specific timing?
2. Having trouble sweetspotting the ledge with up B and I always get punished for it. What am I missing?
1. If you move to the side when you use the cyclone, it is more likely to keep them in it. For the fast-fallers like Fox and Sheik that will fall out of it anyways, you need to either stop mashing B to keep them in place or just mash really slow to rise a little bit while still carrying them up a bit.

2. You need to know the range of the Up-B so that you can sweetspot with the end of the move (around the head area). If you are too high when you do the move then you'll just miss the ledge.

veritron

Smash Cadet

1. It's all DI. Keep in mind it's not going to kill until about 140 anyway.

2. Up-b goes higher than most people expect or are used to. Also, if you hug the side, the up-b will snap (useful for non-vertical stages). Also, don't use it unless it's absolutely necessary to recover, unnecessary jumping when recovering as Luigi will get you killed.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Can you guys name every character you think Luigi might lose to? Or the general consensus of the characters that give him the hardest time? Just wondering.

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Can you guys name every character you think Luigi might lose to? Or the general consensus of the characters that give him the hardest time? Just wondering.
My hardest matchup by far is Megaman; I fought a really good one weeks ago and I felt like I couldn't do much against him at all in neutral.

Game and Watch is also is pretty hard matchup, since you run the risk of getting 0 to death (down throw to oil panic) if you use fireballs too much (which is our main tool in neutral) and he edge guards you pretty well.

Last edited:

nyanturtwig

Smash Cadet
NNID
nyanturtwig
3DS FC
0490-4718-5860
I have trouble with a lot of fast characters (Captain Falcon, Shiek etc...) Any good ranged character also gives me some trouble.

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
Just spent a week or two playing around with Luigi and trying to decide if I should move forward with him; I've decided to do so. What are some major things about playing him I should know and practice right from the get-go?

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
To start off, work on your spacing. Know Luigi's range with all of his moves. His low air speed makes it hard for him to weave in and out. So adding this to your game is key. Then go on to learning his Dthrow combos. You have to vary the combo game based on character and percentage. People are getting better at avoiding Luigi's grabs so that's I put character spacing ahead of Dthrow combos

nyanturtwig

Smash Cadet
NNID
nyanturtwig
3DS FC
0490-4718-5860
I didn't see it anywhere was there a thread for Kill % for the D-throw combos (D-throw to Down B, to Up B, to Nair etc?
Ok. I already started working on finding the kill % on Mario for smash attacks/throws. I'm definitely going to start working on this list for the rest of the roster (And I'm going to try to get as many of Luigi's combos as I can)

Bear Eyez

Smash Rookie
Ok. I already started working on finding the kill % on Mario for smash attacks/throws. I'm definitely going to start working on this list for the rest of the roster (And I'm going to try to get as many of Luigi's combos as I can)
I was going to post a thread if there wasn't. I can take some of the work load, if you want. Pm me if you'd like.

Last edited:

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Low up blastzone stages or plataform stages. Luigi is good on Halberd, Town and City, Defino, BF.

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
How should I play Luigi? Is he more rushdown, spacing, zoning, punishing, what? Because whenever I lose on Anther's (which is often) I'm always told to be more defensive, or more rushdown, or approach more, or more (conflicting idea here). I just want to know what playstyle i should strive for with Luigi. (sorry if this is a dumb question).

Kaffei

Smash Hero
How do I DI out of Luigi's dthrow > down B?

I keep dying to it at like 80% as Rosalina&Luma, it makes me cry :,(

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Luigi boards seem to be a little slow lately...
How should I play Luigi? Is he more rushdown, spacing, zoning, punishing, what? Because whenever I lose on Anther's (which is often) I'm always told to be more defensive, or more rushdown, or approach more, or more (conflicting idea here). I just want to know what playstyle i should strive for with Luigi. (sorry if this is a dumb question).
For me, it depends on who I'm fighting against. Against players (not characters) I know I can abuse, I'll play very rushdown and aggressive. Generally, I'm playing more methodical. I throw a lot of Fireballs and look for ways in on you. I like to size you up before I determine if I can go rushdown. Once I get in, I tend to play very aggressive in order to apply pressure and keep the advantage. Be mindful of characters with fast jabs and Nairs. They can quickly put a stop to the onslaught.

How do I DI out of Luigi's dthrow > down B?

I keep dying to it at like 80% as Rosalina&Luma, it makes me cry :,(
I think the consensus for DI'ing the down B is to mash down. SDI is in this game but it's weaker. It's still possible to DI out tho. Rosa is tougher because of her big body and floaty nature. I feel if Luigi catches you at the top of the Cyclone hitbox then you can't DI out.

wertyou2

Smash Cadet
This might seem like a weird question, but I just want to know if I'm right in thinking this. I've noticed when watching replays that in the neutral I"m throwing out fireballs both on the ground and in the air. Would I be correct in thinking that I should only use fireballs on the ground, and just use aerials in the air? And for that matter, should I even be in the air that much with Luigi? Because with his air speed, i'm feeling like I shouldn't, but I want to make sure I"m not just playing him wrong.

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
Can someone explain to me Luigi's "Bad recovery" Every Luigi is able to literally come back from the blast zone with just his up B. I dont see how this is possible

Top Bottom