• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Luigi Q&A Thread (CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A THREAD PLEASE)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Welcome to the Luigi Question & Answer thread!

The threads purpose is to reduce the clutter on the Luigi boards so that you don't have to make a new thread just to ask a question.

Anyway, have any questions about Luigi? Post a question here and anyone who has played the game will is welcome to answer them! Please keep it on topic about Luigi though.

Thank you.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Post reserved for a FAQ section. This will be filled as more questions are asked and answered.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Nerfed in some areas. Fsmash and upb have less knockback. I don't know if his dtilt still spikes.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Is he still as floaty as he was in Brawl? I remember him generally being floaty but not light enough to make up for it and therefore getting comboed easily while having an awkward approach.

Nausce

Smash Rookie
NNID
MutantPanda155
3DS FC
0619-3615-5944
What are his main kill moves? I main him in melee and do great with him combo wise here but I can't seem to kill until 150%, his fair and dair can't kill for sh*t

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
What are his main kill moves? I main him in melee and do great with him combo wise here but I can't seem to kill until 150%, his fair and dair can't kill for sh*t
150 is an overall kill for every character now.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Is he still as floaty as he was in Brawl? I remember him generally being floaty but not light enough to make up for it and therefore getting comboed easily while having an awkward approach.
He is still floaty and with his dumb jump animation it is hard to short hop bair without making it look obvious. You have to dair then bair to hit with the bair. It is so dumb because I miss a whole bunch of bairs because of the flutter jump he has.

As for his main kills moves in my opinion they are bair offstage, upsmash, and if you manage to get it fsmash. The problem is that fsmash has been nerfed so it barely kills and jab up b setups are hard to get now.

Has anyone found a good way to set up up b?

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
What do I actually do to play Luigi competitively in terms of strategies and overall what I should do? I have played Luigi plenty of times before (mainly on Brawl) but without any competitive strategy. I main Li'l Mac, but Luigi is my favourite character and I planned on maining him for SSB4 as well so I want to learn this time around.

NNID
LilG912
Guys, I made a guide. Y'all don't mind me posting or nah? I finished it and I went into detail with his moves. I'm willing to take in critique and I don't care if it's harsh as long as I have the right information in.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Guys, I made a guide. Y'all don't mind me posting or nah? I finished it and I went into detail with his moves. I'm willing to take in critique and I don't care if it's harsh as long as I have the right information in.
I'd love to have a read of that. I want to main Luigi. Where can I find it?

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I have it ready, I wonder if the other Luigis are ready to review it.
So when can I read it? I don't mind if it's got errors or lacks info, I just want to get all the info I can get :). I know a fair bit about him already, so I want to read about strategies and how I should play him.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
How do I get better at Luigi? I seem to suck at playing him, but I think perhaps I've been playing him like Little Mac (which I shouldn't be). I might watch more videos/replays to try and learn how I should basically be moving around. I've been trying the D-throw>u-smash but I hardly ever land the grab on the CPUs

The thing is though, I've been practicing against level 9 CPUs and could only really beat a Sonic. I think I lost to Palutena, and a few others. It could be that Luigi's playstyle involves being annoyingly deceiving, and you can't really deceive CPUs. I know I still need to get better, but is this true?

Any advice on Luigi's playstyle would be great, I really want to main him and I don't wanna give up on that goal this easily. And by the way, Li'l Gerald, thanks so much for that guide, I know a whole lot more now and about using his D-throw as a combo.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I've done a bit of searching on the Luigi board and couldn't find anything about it so I came to ask this:

Is it common knowledge that (according to the Training mode combo counter) Luigi can true combo into Up B off of a Down Throw?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I've done a bit of searching on the Luigi board and couldn't find anything about it so I came to ask this:

Is it common knowledge that (according to the Training mode combo counter) Luigi can true combo into Up B off of a Down Throw?
I am pretty sure an air dodge can be inputed. Also there is no Di on the dthrow.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I am pretty sure an air dodge can be inputed. Also there is no Di on the dthrow.
Yeah the DI is a good point. From my testing, sometimes if I read the DI I can still pull it off, whilst other times it breaks it entirely. I'm not sure why.

How many frames of startup does an airdodge even have? Because if Training counts this as a combo, I'm pretty sure it would have to make you intangible frame 1 for it to ruin this.

Eh, it's not like I thought this was groundbreaking anyway. I just thought it was a cool find. :p

Luigisama

Smash Champion
How do I get better at Luigi? I seem to suck at playing him, but I think perhaps I've been playing him like Little Mac (which I shouldn't be). I might watch more videos/replays to try and learn how I should basically be moving around. I've been trying the D-throw>u-smash but I hardly ever land the grab on the CPUs

The thing is though, I've been practicing against level 9 CPUs and could only really beat a Sonic. I think I lost to Palutena, and a few others. It could be that Luigi's playstyle involves being annoyingly deceiving, and you can't really deceive CPUs. I know I still need to get better, but is this true?

Any advice on Luigi's playstyle would be great, I really want to main him and I don't wanna give up on that goal this easily. And by the way, Li'l Gerald, thanks so much for that guide, I know a whole lot more now and about using his D-throw as a combo.
@ GreenFlame GreenFlame Well from reading this it looks you need to get better at basic things and once you get use to that then you can move on to getting good as luigi. Me and a friend of mine have been working on helping people get better. From how I see it the steps are as follows.

1. Learn the basics of the game and character.
2. Learn techs and how they pertain to your character.
3. Make a playstyle that you and only you can use and improve it.

Playing cpus can help you in getting use to Luigi and also help you figuring out what works and what doesn't work, but it looks like you're jumping the gun to step 3 without taking time into step 2. I'm not sure if you play other fighters where certain things are done to win, but as luigi you need to learn how to approach, space well, play defense, and recover.

I can't tell you every little thing that will help you be a better luigi player because knowledge doesn't replace actual skill. (My biggest weakness as a player is that I can't teach people. I just know that things just work)

Use his jab to keep your opponent away. This creates space between you and your opponent allowing you to play mid range fireball camp. Unless you want to use bair to keep your opponent away. Also I think you might have not known about luigi's jab follow ups in brawl, but in the previous game and this one you can jab to grab. On most characters it works so if you want to get dthrow to upsmash there you go. Use cyclone as move to break camping, punish landings, and to start juggles. You already know the grab set ups so I won't tell you that. To approach you can go in with bair, but be smart about it and throw it when you'll know it will hit. Cyclone also works well in approaching. As for recovery considering this is the 3DS and not the wii u. Try to mix your recoverys.

You could jump then cyclone rise and grab the ledge or land on stage with a cyclone, fire ball to the stage and jump then up b to the ledge, or you can recover low and jump to cyclone then up b. There are a lot of ways where you can recover. Just note since the missle lost it's edge snap capabilities just use it to move closer to the stage.

Lastly as luigi you have to deal with the whole package. This guys slips like crazy so you can either jump or side dodge to stop the heavy slide you get when you get hit. Also your use of rolls should only be to roll away from your opponent or to get away from them. Never use roll as a means of offense or to approach. Just putting that out there because it is prevalent in new players to roll a lot since they don't consider their options.

I hope this helps.

@ R RascalTheCharizard I'm starting to consider that the dthrow to upb might work, but it might have to be buffered to work. This would be ground breaking considering that we now have to deal with "lol get rewarded for being bad rage effect, now everyone must get their kill at 150%".

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I hope this helps
This is whole lot of advice so thanks so much for taking the time to help me!

I have been using the jab and it does give Luigi some breathing room. I usually don't hit with the fireballs because they're so slow and not very good range but now that I think about it perhaps spacing with the jab would allow me to land them.

So are you saying you can grab out of his jab? I didn't realise this, and I can imagine it would help me a lot to land the grabs which are essential, because that D-throw combo is pretty powerful.

I have actually been rolling a lot, and it usually gets me punished. I will use your advice and only roll when I need roll get away.

How do you actually rise with the cyclone? I haven't been able to do it yet. And what do you mean by "fire ball to the stage"?

What would you say about using his dash attack? It's easily punishable, so it probably only works well when you know it's gonna hit.

Once again thanks so much for helping me. I really appreciate it because I just couldn't seem to play Luigi right at all and didn't know where to go to learn how I should be playing him. Hopefully once I start doing everything you told me I can play better and really be good at Luigi :).

Luigisama

Smash Champion
How do you actually rise with the cyclone? I haven't been able to do it yet. And what do you mean by "fire ball to the stage"?

What would you say about using his dash attack?
to rise with cyclone you have to rapidly press b, but you have to jump if you are off stage.

By fireball to the stage I mean you move to the direction of the stage and fireball.

As for his dash attack. It is like a surprise move, but It can be shield grabbed.

Last edited:

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
So I have been playing matches online and I have noticed quite a number of people like to roll. As a Luigi (obviously), what would be the best way to punish them for doing that?

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Dsmash is usually the best option for people rolling through you. For people constantly rolling away, you can pressure with a fireball. If you know they are going to roll as you approach then you can dash attack. The last few hits will catch them at the end of the roll.

Luigi has always been plagued with slow aerial speed. I haven't played much Brawl Luigi but Melee Luigi used wavedashing to approach. How should I approach with him in Smash 4? He's vulnerable in the air. So far cyclone seems like the only consistent way.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I prefer to punish rolls with upsmash or cyclone.
There are multiple ways, d-smash if they roll behind you. If they roll away and are at a reasonable distance you can dash grab. And of course, if they roll and land in your face you can always up-b :4luigi:.

What's up luigisama? Long time...

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I am having some real issues with getting gimped at 50% or so...

Like, I'm doing some combos or having momentum and all of a sudden I get hit out of my second jump -> bye stock. This is so frustrating ulgh xD.. Any tips?

Also people roll A LOT against Luigi and it frustrates me as well. Especialy dhds and lucarios. Any tips against these characters as well?

Last edited:

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
I am having some real issues with getting gimped at 50% or so...

Like, I'm doing some combos or having momentum and all of a sudden I get hit out of my second jump -> bye stock. This is so frustrating ulgh xD.. Any tips?

Also people roll A LOT against Luigi and it frustrates me as well. Especialy dhds and lucarios. Any tips against these characters as well?
I don't know about DHD's roll, but Lucario has a very quick roll that can be difficult to punish on reaction. So you'll have to condition him and see when he tends to roll in what situations, and then just predict and abuse it. For example, I played our local Lucario and he would roll backwards 90% of the time I would put pressure on him. I caught on, so I would then do a dash grab, d-throw -> combo time.

Make sure your punishes are crisp and that you can get lots of percent off one grab. Then every time you punish a roll with a grab, you can beat the living daylights out of them so they never roll again > : )

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Any help with the Falcon match up? I play regularly against my brother. As far as Smash goes in general I am better than him. But whenever I play my Luigi against his Falcon it is a very difficult match up for me. I win a couple but he wins most. Falcon can roll and punish very well and constant back rolling is very difficult to punish. Luigi's Dsmash doesn't have enough range to punish forward rolls either. The only way I can consistently win this match up is to lame him out and constantly fireball to force him to approach. If I approach Falcon I'm usually in a bad spot just for taking that chance.

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
I figured that Luigi's mobility in the air and his quirky flutter jump would be effective parts of his game as I improved, but from the sound of it they are both annoyances rather than boons. I've been thinking to play Luigi as a highly airborne character (despite his trouble with SH FF telegraphs) similar to a G&W, but reading all of this is he meant to be more of a grounded character?

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I figured that Luigi's mobility in the air and his quirky flutter jump would be effective parts of his game as I improved, but from the sound of it they are both annoyances rather than boons. I've been thinking to play Luigi as a highly airborne character (despite his trouble with SH FF telegraphs) similar to a G&W, but reading all of this is he meant to be more of a grounded character?
Well, from how I play him he has amazing aerials, and is still quite good on the ground. I thought he was supposed to be a character that takes advantage of his air mobility (and his d-throw) by juggling a lot of the time and edgeguarding? Though his jab and smash attacks are extremely necessary to him as well. I also almost never use the flutter jump (I forgot he even has it).

He IS supposed to juggle opponents a fair bit, right? That's how I usually play him anyway...

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
Definitely a juggler, it seems one of his perks besides his downb is an ability to get great damage stringing his moves together.
Isn't his flutter jump just his first jump? How can you not use it?

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Definitely a juggler, it seems one of his perks besides his downb is an ability to get great damage stringing his moves together.
Isn't his flutter jump just his first jump? How can you not use it?
Oh, I didn't realise that was the flutter jump. I thought it was longer and more noticable like Yoshi's. I didn't even realise, so I don't think the flutter really makes too much of a negative difference.

Yeah, the down-b is great to approach as well. But only when you know it's gonna hit. It can usually cover your landing if they're below you, but it depends on the character.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I tend to use down b as an aerial approach. I short hop and instead of throwing an aerial I use down b. It fast falls and is multihit. Those expecting a Nair or Fair and try to shield grab get eaten up. It can also be used as a cross up by moving behind them if they block to avoid the shield grab. Cyclone by no means is safe but is best used in a mix up situation and good for returning to the ground

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I don't know if everyone is just fantasizing in their heads about character balancing in the latest patch but...were any changes made to Luigi at all? One poster on Gamefaqs says his air and ground speed increased...although obviously that's an uncredible source.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I think a lot of the claims about changes to characters are fake. Nintendo said the same thing last patch and nobody noticed any differences to characters. They probably just mean that they optimized the connections or something a bit (which would be great), but I don't know.

I'll test for any changes to Luigi later, but I doubt there will be anything.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
There are no changes to any character files in 1.0.3. It is not a balance patch.

Top Bottom