• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Discussion Thread - People Actually Play This Character?

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
All people are generally on auto-pilot all the time to some degree, and unintentionally a lot more than we think/know.
Good that you're giving attention to that, it's worth being aware of more than any adice will ever be of value. Keep it up before any tangible game-play related stuff gets any priority.
This especially goes for the times where you're aware of it. It's hard to become aware of the auto-pilot mental state you might be in, so when you do get that awareness, give attention to it.
'Playing better' will be natural in that state.
:)

Edit: I really need to work on simplifying my posts like this (I'm aware of this so I'm giving attention to it haha)

It's difficult to notice 'auto-pilot' when you're IN auto-pilot. When you're OUT of 'auto-pilot', focus really hard on staying out. That's where you can work on that (the auto-pilot-mental-control stuff). That's where you'll improve at smash more than anywhere else.

Astrofallz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Astrofallz
3DS FC
4055-5220-2861
My main question is how do you get so much height on the Luigi Cyclone? In Brawl I can get maximum height but in P:M I go farther down than I go up? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
My main question is how do you get so much height on the Luigi Cyclone? In Brawl I can get maximum height but in P:M I go farther down than I go up? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

This is P:M, not Brawl. It's much harder to rise and you don't rise as much in midair. Grounded Cyclone still has Brawl height, though.

Ch3s

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys. So uh... http://www.twitch.tv/azprojectmelee/b/471464429?t=323m00s this happened today. Also I got second at a tourney with Nazo, Neon, Burnsy and K9 who are all pretty good players so I guess I'm alright at this game now? This was my first time really playing it lol. Anyways feel free to critique or question anything you see in any of my games (I played a Sonic, Marth, MK, Squirtle, and Lucas at different points in the stream). Also don't watch my set vs. Tai unless you enjoy slaughters :(

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Why are you playing this bottom-tier character with no neutral-game?
Jkz
Good to hear there's more and more active people playing as Luigi and stuff. I may watch some later.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Sometimes when I do the Luigi cyclone after I recover from hitstun, Luigi gains so much height from it, like the height Brawl Luigi would achieve. Usually when you jump and do the cyclone, he drops altitude a little and then rises as you mash the b button, but in this case, he rises up after the jump. Is the occasional Brawl-like recovery from the cyclone an after-hitstun thing (like zelda's nayru) or is there a specific way to do it?

Kati

Smash Lord
Does anyone else throw around a few green missiles while the opponent re-spawns?

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
^ I do. It helps to store the actual misfire. Although I'm trying to do what Eli does and ledge cancel the missiles..so you don't get punished if you accidentally do one too many.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Oh yeah I forgot to tell you guys: I went to a tournament two weeks ago here in Columbus. I had what would I consider my local breakout performance. I took 7th out of ~32/36. I also entered Brawl and Melee singles but placed average. I had two sets recorded: my first and last sets. I lost round one and made a run all the way to 7th, even beating one of my training partners. I'll post links when both sets go up.

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if this is possible, but is there any chance that Luigi's kick taunt could not be cancelable in 3.0? It make those swag wd to ledge > taunt moments impossible, and that's something PM should not have to go without.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
I don't think that is character independent. It's everyone or no one. Although you can still get some amazing taunt kills. Back in August I hit someone with Taunt -> Dair in pools.

SuperNova!

Smash Apprentice
I don't play as Luigi in Brawl, because of the change they made to his Luigi Rocket. But in Melee and Project M, he's my best character! His air game is deadly!

Ultimate Sneeze

Smash Apprentice
First off, I'd like to say that I'm loving Luigi's combos in this game, they're so much fun. The only problem I've been having with him is the aerial Cyclone. It seems that even if I mash B until my thumb starts a rebellion against the rest of my body that causes a 10-year long bloody civil war that spreads unrest to neighboring countries, the best I can manage is horizontal movement and a little bump up at the end... Is there a specific timing that you have to press B? Does it have something to do with tap jump? Am I pressing down too hard when I do the input? Do I have to sacrifice Item users to the B-Button god? Or is my thumb just not man enough?

DBSammy

Smash Ace
You're not the first person to say that. Across all the smashes, P:M cyclone is the second easiest cyclone to rise with, tied with 64, and only beat by Brawl. And it's just mash as fast as you can.
So TL;DR, play Mario Party.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Some people switch their grip and start using their index finger to get a rise on DownB. I just press B with my thumb really fast. Try and like.. make your muscles seize. Practice doing it in Melee until you get some height, and it'll seem infinitely easier in the other games.

meow

Smash Apprentice
it's been about a month of training and i have finally gained some height when before i used to break even

DBSammy

Smash Ace
So over the weekend I went to a small local. I got 7th losing to 1st and 4th. I went Luigi and Fox throughout the tournament. SGOD could you critique one of my sets when it goes up?

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Sometimes when I do the Luigi cyclone after I recover from hitstun, Luigi gains so much height from it, like the height Brawl Luigi would achieve. Usually when you jump and do the cyclone, he drops altitude a little and then rises as you mash the b button, but in this case, he rises up after the jump. Is the occasional Brawl-like recovery from the cyclone an after-hitstun thing (like zelda's nayru) or is there a specific way to do it?
I've noticed this too. Has anyone figured out how to reliably achieve this height?

Megapants

Smash Apprentice
You are hilariously proficient with the green missile. Also really liked the tech in place Up-B on Yoshi's.

Watching it once through, the only really obvious thing I saw was that you might benefit from mixing in the tornado a lot more. It's just too good for mobility on the ground or after short hop aerials, and you can do pretty much anything you want immediately out of it.

otek

Smash Rookie
How come the Luigi board is so inactive?

I've found something interesting that I think I should share with you if you don't already know. I've been thinking what the best options for techchasing with Luigi are, especially platform techchasing where I think his down B excels at. I tested it in training mode and also succesfully did it in a few matches which led me to the impression that Luigi actually is quite an amazing character in P:M. His neutal game seems really solid, his edgeguard is amazing imo and his combo game seems is great.

To be honest, I don't really see many weaknesses, if any than I think it's (still) his recovery.

What do you guys think?

HaZarD2kv

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HaZarD2kv
Luigi totally owns. My biggest problem with the Weeg in PM though is when you boner (misfire) into a slanted wall, it doesn't shorten the animation it seems and just drags you down the wall instead of stopping you upon impact. I think this should definetely change, it has crippled me in tournament before.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Luigi totally owns. My biggest problem with the Weeg in PM though is when you boner (misfire) into a slanted wall, it doesn't shorten the animation it seems and just drags you down the wall instead of stopping you upon impact. I think this should definetely change, it has crippled me in tournament before.
OMG THIS! You have no idea how many times that has screwed me over because of my r button no responding or when I just want to do a misfire.

Top Bottom