• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Discussion Thread - People Actually Play This Character?

DBSammy

Smash Ace
I am pretty sure that I saw him in some results in PM at some events at Gameclucks, Take my memory with a grain of salt.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Any news from Luigiville yet?
People think he's good yet?

Yeah he plays, not much though.

If you're interested in seeing good Luigi, learn to not get hit, and you'll see it every time you play.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Who else here think Yoshi's Story 2 should be the #1 counterpick for LuLu?!?!?

Can you say RAIN OF DAIRS?!?!?!?

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
I believe Luigi's high wavedash speed sends him into a falling animation when he dashes backwards off of platforms.

Any way around this?
Teching/falling on my ass after fluidly dashing kills my Luigi boner.

Edit: Maybe speed isn't a factor, just tripped with Ganon too.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I believe Luigi's high wavedash speed sends him into a falling animation when he dashes backwards off of platforms.

Any way around this?
Teching/falling on my *** after fluidly dashing kills my Luigi boner.

Edit: Maybe speed isn't a factor, just tripped with Ganon too.

Expected behavior. Happened in Melee too.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
Ah.
Well since it's expected, is there something that triggers the falling animation?

I'm pretty sure it only happens when moving backwards, so I suppose slightly turning before dashing would prevent the fall, but that doesn't really apply to wavelanding which is when it mostly happens.

Should I waveland at a deeper angle to decrease the speed?
Would inputting an attack before tumbling off help?
Is it truly random?

Tips and info appreciated.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Ah.
Well since it's expected, is there something that triggers the falling animation?

I'm pretty sure it only happens when moving backwards, so I suppose slightly turning before dashing would prevent the fall, but that doesn't really apply to wavelanding which is when it mostly happens.

Should I waveland at a deeper angle to decrease the speed?
Would inputting an attack before tumbling off help?
Is it truly random?

Tips and info appreciated.

The sudden momentum.

Mostly backwards.

It helps.

Yes.

NO.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
So since it's not random, then going from the info above, it occurs every time I'm going above a certain speed (in either direction) and possibly due to shield holding?

I'm not sure shielding goes with it since when I get forced off a plat with my shield up I can usually attack immediately after entering freefall.
Maybe this is a different circumstance since the shield never comes out?

Omnigeek

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to incorporate fireballs into my gameplay recently, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I should implement them effectively? So far I have used them while wavedashing away to attack while retreating with moderate success. I've also used them while approaching with a wavedash, but I don't particularly like that option as I feel it leaves me too vulnerable. Obviously they can assist with edgeguarding certain characters like Fox/Faco as well. While these uses are fine, I was wondering if there were any strategies I may have overlooked. I've heard Luigi can short-hop waveland fireballs, but I have yet to master the timing. The way I've been practicing is by shooting a fireball while rising from a short-hop then inputting a forward waveland without fast falling. Is this the proper technique? Lastly, I just want to say that I'm really enjoying P:M Luigi, and I'm digging how some of you guys are utilizing him.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
I've been trying to incorporate fireballs into my gameplay recently, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I should implement them effectively? So far I have used them while wavedashing away to attack while retreating with moderate success. I've also used them while approaching with a wavedash, but I don't particularly like that option as I feel it leaves me too vulnerable. Obviously they can assist with edgeguarding certain characters like Fox/Faco as well. While these uses are fine, I was wondering if there were any strategies I may have overlooked. I've heard Luigi can short-hop waveland fireballs, but I have yet to master the timing. The way I've been practicing is by shooting a fireball while rising from a short-hop then inputting a forward waveland without fast falling. Is this the proper technique? Lastly, I just want to say that I'm really enjoying P:M Luigi, and I'm digging how some of you guys are utilizing him.
I mainly use fireballs in the air to lockdown where my opponent can't go and to help edgeguard. And on an unrelated note watch 1:07-1:17 of this.

Omnigeek

Smash Rookie
I mainly use fireballs in the air to lockdown where my opponent can't go and to help edgeguard. And on an unrelated note watch 1:07-1:17 of this.
I figured fireballs were likely a tool best used for area denial and edgegaurd situations. I have been trying to learn by example through recorded matches of high level Luigi mains, and I think I'm on the right track.

The combo in the linked video was killer. I am a big fan of Luigi's Dthrow since it leads to so many great options. Also, while it's not necessarily very flashy, I particularly liked the recovery from 5:25-5:35. The way you turned a bad edgeguard situation around with a stored misfire and a well timed cyclone was quite intelligent in that situation.

Another question: How do you guys determine when to SHFFL aerials as opposed to going for the short hop double aerials?

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
I guess this is the place to discuss this if this hasn't already been brought up somewhere:

I thought it might be a good idea to make a combo video or 2, or 3, for the Year of Luigi, featuring clips of Weegee from 2013; three separate videos, one each for Brawl, Melee, and PM. Ideally, I vote for them to be released before December some time. Some people in the Melee Luigi board are supporting it I think. Dunno who will head any of the three projects, if absolutely no one else wants to I might try but the result will almost certainly not be pretty.

Discuss/contribute/condemn?

DBSammy

Smash Ace
I guess this is the place to discuss this if this hasn't already been brought up somewhere:

I thought it might be a good idea to make a combo video or 2, or 3, for the Year of Luigi, featuring clips of Weegee from 2013; three separate videos, one each for Brawl, Melee, and PM. Ideally, I vote for them to be released before December some time. Some people in the Melee Luigi board are supporting it I think. Dunno who will head any of the three projects, if absolutely no one else wants to I might try but the result will almost certainly not be pretty.

Discuss/contribute/condemn?
I've had that same idea as well for nearly the last year and a half. Although it was 64-Melee-Brawl.

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
Haha maybe it's a good idea then. Who would want to step up to lead and/or edit the video? And how should we start compiling clips?

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I think I have at least one.

And I'm sure there are plenty of Luigi mains with vid-worthy clips, haha.

specialkyo

Smash Cadet
Try this out guys.

Wavedash forward, crouch, as soon as you see the crouch come out pull slightly back on the control stick the opposite way you are facing, and use any move you would like.

What happens is the momentum carries you back a bit at the same time you use an attack. This can open Luigi's approach and poke game quite a bit. I found you can do it out of a regular dash but the momentum does not carry you back as far.

I just started messing with this and I find down tilt to be extremely safe. You can down tilt and if you miss you pull back to safety. The same with a downsmash or even a grab.

I wanna get a video of it but I don't have the fancy set up for any of that. But once you see how far back you slide I guarantee more Luigi's will be using this.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Yeah Luigi is pretty screwed up.

If you make a combo-vid, you can probably be VERY picky. Almost everything that's been posted directly in these forums is essentially BnB Luigi stuff that had to crop up one day. At least will be in time, and it's coming out more and more. The same applies to every character in the game, but Luigi is good and 'low tier avoided' like that. :p

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
Qraq, feel free to post or pm clips that you have. I'm thinking it could be better to combine with the melee video but I don't know if thats what the community prefers.

Thoughts?

And also ill keep your advice in mind Nausicaa.

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
Can I ask why you prefer not being involved with melee? In case we make two separate videos for melee and pm would you want to be included in the lattter?

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
I'm only okay with being involved in P:M stuff.
If there's anything melee that includes me (in the same video or anything like that) I will be irritated as I do not get along with melee players at all. And I strongly dislike melee as a game.

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
Fair. I disagree about melee but I'll respect you and your request and, Eli. Though it seems like it is fairly likely to be combined in one video as I'm looking at progress so far, just to let you know.

If anyone else has specific reservations about any of the possible Luigi videos that might be produced, please let me know so you aren't accidentally mashed into videos you didn't want to be put into.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Why make a melee luigi vid? I feel like LKM did it all lol.

Vids to come soon!

Nguz95

Smash Lord
If you need an editor I would love to do it. I have Sony Vegas, and I have been doing a lot of smash-related videos for a while. You can check out my channel if you are wondering what kind of stuff I do. My name there is the same as here.

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
Papapaint is making the Melee video right now but if you are interested in collaborating with him you can message him. He's released a teaser trailer already https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCg8Aftp808&feature=youtu.be

We may combine the Melee and PM videos into one depending on what the community decides/what we have time for/other factors, it's still a bit up-in-the-air. If you want to get in on editing the stuff, talk to both me and Papapaint.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Someone just show every single one of eli's combos that end in a charged misfire, they'll be into project m by the end of the week

Nguz95

Smash Lord
It looks like papapaint has this handled. It's too bad, because My luigi is not good enough to contribute anything. Maybe I could handle the Project M vid? I'll message papapaint.

Top Bottom