• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Discussion Thread - People Actually Play This Character?

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
I've watched many highlight vids on Weegee:M and there isn't much talk on his russian missle, or the amount of havoc it's capable of. seriously, it's hella strong.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
I really wish that Luigi could landing-cancel his fireballs, similar to G&W's sausages. To the point that it aggravates me that he can't. Would be a great addition to his ground game/help him approach, IMO. And it would suit him well, too.

EDIT: There would have to be an on-screen limitation, though. Max of 2 Fireballs on screen would be good.

Other than me being salty about that, Luigi is awesome.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Watching Eli's luigi vs. snake leads me to believe luigi's recovery vs. snake is nearly nonexistent. Snake would just... sideb a lot, and luigi seemingly couldn't do much about it.

(by the way he's playing luigi right now you should watch)

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Haha yea pretty much. Well Snake's nikita is a very good edgeguarding tool in general. If the Snake player is good enough with it, it pretty much takes a **** on many different characters' recoveries.

D

Deleted member

Luigi is so fun to play, hes like a secondary for me.
Too bad my only friend I play friendlies with hates him and says hes not a real character so he tells me to never play him ;-;

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I use him in melee, brawl, and project m. Love the misfire roulette. Wish we had that in the other games.

D

Deleted member

There is one, its very bad though imo.
Every top melee character is top on that tier list (forgot where the link is). And alot of PM characters are lower than they should be.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
You guys know that's not an official list right? The OP just averaged 15 lists that were posted in there. And it make sense that the Melee top tiers are still top tier. They still have all of their tools that made them top, added Brawl techs, and a 9 year old fleshed out metagame.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Ha, that is a horrendous list. Luigi is actually a really good character in this game. I entered a Project:M tournament a few weeks ago and went all Luigi (and Marth two times).

Basically I played him like I play Melee Luigi, and he's realllllll good. I didn't even know about storing misfires, and I'm working on integrating that into my game for the P:M tournament this Saturday. I ended up getting third after Chillin and Cyrain (who split). I beat Chillin in winners bracket (beat his Wolf with Luigi), and lost to Cyrain 2-3 in WF Luigi vs Falco. Chillin beat me in Loser Finals (he switched to Marth and beat my Luigi, I switched to Marth beat his Marth, and he beat my Marth with Wolf).

So yes, I can attest to the fact that Luigi is good in this game. Basically he's Melee Luigi with a better recovery, a way to effectively utilize misfires, and an overall buff. Also his Dtilt.

Also guys, Chillin and Cyrain are ridiculous. Chillin's combos with Wolf are really sick, they just don't work on Luigi. And Cyrain doesn't even play P:M, he just plays Falco like he plays Falco in Melee, and still wins, which is a testament to the team behind P:M.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Luigi seems to be like the least changed Melee vet IMO.
Edit: That's not a top tier.
:phone:
Luigi's moveset did not need an overhaul, he already had a tremendously diverse moveset. With the addition of an improved recovery and better horizontal air movement and so on, he's probably mid/high tier.

D

Deleted member

He's not high tier, hes confirmed mid tier IMO. Maybe high mid tier, and if you super stretched then he would be low high tier.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Got 3rd at this past weekend's P:M tournament, going all Luigi, after 1) Cyrain and 2) Milkman (a Falco and Fox, respectively). We had some tight sets.

The past two tournaments have shown me that Metal Cavern is a great CP for Luigi - small stages = easy tech chases, you have enough room to combo and one platform with which to play, and a TON of room around the stage that you can use to recover.

So far I still think Luigi lies between mid and high tier. There is no matchup so far that I can see giving Luigi a tremendous amount of trouble besides Marth (admittedly, the game's metagame is very young and still developing). We're expecting a large turnout at next month's tourney, and it'll probably have a high turnout for P:M. Even this past weekend, we didn't do Brawl or Melee doubles because there was more interest in P:M doubles.

Also, in Melee, after killing an opponent I would downB on the stage to make sure I had it stored so I could use it to recover if I needed. In this game, that is no longer an issue. I highly recommend doing a light-charged sideB to try and get a misfire you can store. At low % you can Dthrow -> misfire; works very well on spacies. I also found that if Fox or Falco is going to sideB straight onto the stage, you can beat it out with a misfire and they will probably die (at this point they're out of their second jump). I ALSO discovered that MISSING a misfire can lead to flying off the stage and getting gimped........... so be careful. Be wary for setups, e.g. jab resets, tech reads, and so on.

Thanks to Luigi's great horizontal air movement, using UpB is much safer with platforms around, and here's why: you can moveto the side in such a fashion that Luigi will ledge cancel the lag on the end of his UpB. Basically this means that if you are falling to the right and land on top of the right-hand ledge of a platform, Luigi will slip off instead of suffering landing lag, and you'll be in a falling state with your second jump intact.

Luigi's is pretty decent in doubles now, too. Think Jigglypuff in Melee doubles (being able to use rests when partner grabs) except you have the option between UpB (buffed from Melee and easily ledge-cancelable) and a misfire (if you have it). Good recovery now, great gimping ability, great combos, and all of Luigi's throws are good "doubles throws." By that I mean all of his throws have predictable trajectories and your partner can combo off them well (especially Dthrow).

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Had a tournament yesterday. I split between using Falco and Luigi evenly. Lost to 1st and 4th and got 13th. Three of the sets I played got recorded and I'll put the Luigi ones on here when they get uploaded.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Luigi seems to be like the least changed Melee vet IMO.
Edit: That's not a top tier.
:phone:
Thankfully.

Are people catching on to this character now, or something?
What's going on with the publicly Luigi-focused people these days?

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Thankfully.

Are people catching on to this character now, or something?
What's going on with the publicly Luigi-focused people these days?
Nah, Luigi is still rather underused. Only other guys I've seen/heard using him in tournaments besides myself have been Ka-Master IIRC and Smash G O D.
And Eli.

Top Bottom