• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Discussion Thread - People Actually Play This Character?

specialkyo

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdQy1v_ZkAE

So that is the video of a little slide technique I've been using lately. It's pretty fun to bust out from time to time. Throws the opponent off and can be good for reading when the player will roll behind you while you try to tech chase.

Don't mind the crappy quality and the mistakes. I just wanted to get a video up of the slide technique because I think it's a great tool.

Squirtle can do it too so any Squirtle players out there should have a blast mixing this in with your hydro planing shenanigans as well.

QraQ

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdQy1v_ZkAE

So that is the video of a little slide technique I've been using lately. It's pretty fun to bust out from time to time. Throws the opponent off and can be good for reading when the player will roll behind you while you try to tech chase.

Don't mind the crappy quality and the mistakes. I just wanted to get a video up of the slide technique because I think it's a great tool.

Squirtle can do it too so any Squirtle players out there should have a blast mixing this in with your hydro planing shenanigans as well.

Isn't that moonwalking into a crouch?
Squirtle is Brawl Luigi =D

specialkyo

Smash Cadet
Isn't that moonwalking into a crouch?
Squirtle is Brawl Luigi =D
But you crouch first. So it isn't really moon walking. I think it's using momentum from the forward dash and applying it to the crawl animation. When you crawl backwards out of a dash or a wave dash forward you get this crazy momentum boost and it let's you crawl extremely fast. It looks strange too.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
That's awesome. I need to put this into my Luigi game. F-tilt out of this could be the best bait and punish move ever.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Any tips for new Luigi players that are getting too learn him?
Wavedash. Wavedash everywhere...

Abusing the wavedash is always good. Ftilt out of the wavedash should replace his dash attack. Mess around with wavedash into grab. It makes for a great mixup, and Weegee's throw game is fantastic. Dthrow combos into a huge variety of moves, including misfire. Also, use the tornado to start combos. It's fast, and it covers a lot of distance. Abuse his aerials, especially his nair and his dair. All of his aerials are very useful for different things, and all of them are incredibly good.

Other than that, just mess around with different stuff. Weegee is not too complicated, so with a little practice you will find out how to combo effectively with him. He is really fun.

Nemiak temp

Smash Apprentice
Practice spacing before comboing. His spacing game is better than most and it's important to be able to throw out moves safely as he can easily be hit across the stage into a horrible position. Oh yeah and of course wavedash.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Last Saturday I went to a tourney. Placed low in singles and took top 3 in doubles. Here are vids of Loser's Semis and Finals. Although the most hype part of dubz wasn't recorded where my partner and I took a game off Ally and Zinoto with me clutching out a 2v1 game 2.

arwildcats09

Smash Apprentice
Alright so I'm asking a really scrubby question but I can't figure this out for the life of me.
I've played around with Luigi casually in all of the smash games. In Brawl and Melee I never had a problem recovering using down b. But now in Project M when I try to recover with it it just shoots me straight down to my death. I am literally mashing b as fast as I possibly can. Is the timing different? Is recovering with tornado different all together?

DBSammy

Smash Ace
Alright so I'm asking a really scrubby question but I can't figure this out for the life of me.
I've played around with Luigi casually in all of the smash games. In Brawl and Melee I never had a problem recovering using down b. But now in Project M when I try to recover with it it just shoots me straight down to my death. I am literally mashing b as fast as I possibly can. Is the timing different? Is recovering with tornado different all together?
That's odd considering that P:M cyclones are easier and more convenient than Melee cyclones.

Nemiak temp

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any cyclone done in the air sends me straight down.
Maybe defrag your SD card and get a new download? Sounds like some sort of bug with your version because it's not too difficult...

arwildcats09

Smash Apprentice
Maybe defrag your SD card and get a new download? Sounds like some sort of bug with your version because it's not too difficult...
I've done that and I'm still having the same problem. I just don't understand. How different is it from Brawls? I try to cyclone up after my jump and I go straight down.

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
I've done that and I'm still having the same problem. I just don't understand. How different is it from Brawls? I try to cyclone up after my jump and I go straight down.

Are you holding down while doing this? I know I have had issues while holding down the analog stick and trying to get lift.

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
When I do the tornado, I just tap down on the control stick and mash the B button, so as not to accidentally DI downwards.

Also, since the matchup thread is dead: Anyone have advice against Marth and Zelda?

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
When I do the tornado, I just tap down on the control stick and mash the B button, so as not to accidentally DI downwards.

Also, since the matchup thread is dead: Anyone have advice against Marth and Zelda?
This is gonna sound strange but sometimes, as Luigi, I feel like I have to purposefully get hit in order to sucker my opponent into a combo. Against Marth, for example, I'll let him f-air me at low percent just so I can land that n-air on him, which pops him up helplessly into a Luigi combo. Its unfortunate, but I feel like that's a useful tool against Marth is to let him get punished for bad spacing. Other than that, a bunch of fireballs should get thrown at him until you can find an opening to wavedash -> f-tilt him. Not good enough? Well that's the story of Luigi's life.

Against Zelda, use lots of down-b approaches. The matchup really becomes a waiting game. I always just try to read her up-b teleport and catch her with a d-air.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
So ummm, Poltergust 3000? EH? Just a thought.

Edit: Or 5000? Whatever it is now?

RedGamer

Smash Ace
I want to start a project for luigi. I want to give him less bashful/more manly animations without messing up the hitboxes and frame data.
I was inspired by a comic of luigi being treated as the second best. (I'm tired of it)
I don't even play luigi...

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
I want to start a project for luigi. I want to give him less bashful/more manly animations without messing up the hitboxes and frame data.
I was inspired by a comic of luigi being treated as the second best. (I'm tired of it)
I don't even play luigi...
But, but, but that's how Luigi is! That's why I like him. And he doesn't seem second best on a personal level if you like him more than Mario.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
hmm, it's easy to understand when you put it that way.
thank you for giving me your perspective on that.
You're very welcome :grin: After being a Luigi fan so long, you just think of him as your main hero instead.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Okay.

You know that supercharged side-b thing that happens sometimes?

I hope you get to do that a lot and it helps you win.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Hello Weegee players!

Quick question: I have a friend who plays Luigi, and he claims that his forward-air was nerfed in Project M. Is this true? I honestly feel like it's the same as Melee, and I'd love to have the question settled.

DBSammy

Smash Ace
How'd you do in the tourney? It was a PM tourney right?
In doubles my team tied for last. The two Columbus teams got scraped first round. For singles I got 17th (should have been at least 13th) out of ~50. Made 2nd seed out of a 7 man pool. Took a game off of Strong Bad with 3 Up-Bs.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
In doubles my team tied for last. The two Columbus teams got scraped first round. For singles I got 17th (should have been at least 13th) out of ~50. Made 2nd seed out of a 7 man pool. Took a game off of Strong Bad with 3 Up-Bs.
LOL, UP-B TOO BUFF. Nah, but you really didn't do bad at all man. Representin' dat Weegee man! Were there any streams or videos going? I want to watch some of these battles.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
On the singles at 2:33, holy crap, that was pretty good. I'm liking that. And the last round of the set. It's like you went super saiyan there for a bit because of the Luigi's Mansion music, lol.

And 3:30 on the doubles, did he spike you and then you wall jumped off the ledge? Too raw. I'm scared if I have to play you. These are some pretty good rounds. That Lucas was killing it too though. Regardless you stuck in there and really survived a long time by yourself at times. i was really impressed by it.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Work on your punish game. You're not accomplishing much when you get opportunities, and you're playing the same game all the time.
U-Tilt at 0% and getting you punished for it, even if you hit them. Stop that.
Bair/U-Tilt/whatever at low % and they land + Shield, and you try hitting their shield and get punished. Pay attention to what's happening and grab them.
D-Throw/U-Tilt/Nair and they fly in the air, you chase unable to combo and get punished. Stop that, have some patience and punish them based on what they do since you're at an advantage.

Stop things like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFkeuC6wAs#t=6m35s
And change it into this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFkeuC6wAs#t=3m11s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFkeuC6wAs#t=1m35s

AKA stop it with the SH aerials and abuse your ground game.

Top Bottom