• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucario Shrine

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
If Lucario does make the cut, I know it's taken, but I'd like to make him another Shotokan esque fighter like Mario & Luigi's fighting styles are like Ryu & Kens. Lucario can be like Akuma/Gouki.

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
If Lucario does make the cut, I know it's taken, but I'd like to make him another Shotokan esque fighter like Mario & Luigi's fighting styles are like Ryu & Kens. Lucario can be like Akuma/Gouki.
Even if they do make him like an Ansatsuken fighter (Ryu, Ken and the various other "Uppercut Bros."), I could still see him being some what different. Perhaps more like Sakura, or even Batsu from Rival Schools.

Here's my train of thought:

Instead of Sky Uppercut (Up+B) being like Mario or Luigi's Uppercut, it could end up being more like Sakura's "Sho-ou-Ken" from the Marvel vs. Capcom games. In that, it would be a move where Lucario would run forward with an aura barrier in front of him (which could take like one or two hits from a projectile before it would dissipate), and then do an actual uppercut motion towards the end of the move. In other words, it would definitely be more of a "horizontal' move, but could still be a decent manuever for recovery, because the actual vertical motion of the move could still serve to help him out.

Then there's Aura Sphere. Again, I could see this being more like Sakura's Hadouken (as it appeared in the Alpha/Zero series), as opposed to any thing else. The basic is this: if you just pressed the B button once, you'd get a singular projectile that would go far, and do a bit of damage. However, if you pressed the B button more (up to 3 times), you would get a much larger projectile that would sacrifice distance for power. I'd imagine that, at full power, it would only go like basically a foot in front of Lucario, but the power would be enough that it could send opponents flying for 50%, or immediately break their shield.

And there's more that can be done along these lines. But in essence, I would like to see Lucario, if he got in, do more to truly be a unique character that showcases his "Street Fighter-inspired" roots, but still has more to adhere to his own style.

*joins the Lucario allies*

Chepe

Smash Lord
You know, I have a theory that victory music will differ between characters of the same series... If Lucario is in, what if the D/P version of the standard title screen jingle is played for him on victory screens? That would be awesome!

You guys know what Im talking about right? The victory music for Pokemon characters in past Smash Bros games is from the Pokemon games' title screen.

Syzygy

Smash Apprentice
So I recently watched some clips from the Lucario Movie (I was really bored), and I gotta say... he's pretty awesome. At first I was skeptical, but now I'm a full supporter. Lucario for Brawl. Just hope they don't take Mewtwo out.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Lucario is a Pokemon poster child who doesn't deserve a brawl spot. At all.
The same could be said of Jigglypuff, who is only in the Smash series because of its popularity and anime influence (which appears to have ended). Pokemon should get an up-to-date rep, and Lucario is really the only clear choice...

Tony_

Smash Ace
The same could be said of Jigglypuff, who is only in the Smash series because of its popularity and anime influence (which appears to have ended). Pokemon should get an up-to-date rep, and Lucario is really the only clear choice...
Blaziken would like a word with you.

Also, Sakurai didn't pick the pokemon based on anime influence at all. Lucario's popularity has pretty much died down all over for the public view anyways.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Blaziken would like a word with you.

Also, Sakurai didn't pick the pokemon based on anime influence at all. Lucario's popularity has pretty much died down all over for the public view anyways.
Yes he does. Jigglypuff and Pikachu got popular entirely through the anime (I really hope you dont argue against this), and thus got a spot in the Smash Bros series. Blaziken was never really popular in Japan, and I think it was only here in the US where it had a notable fanbase...

Tony_

Smash Ace
Yes he does. Jigglypuff and Pikachu got popular entirely through the anime (I really hope you dont argue against this), and thus got a spot in the Smash Bros series. Blaziken was never really popular in Japan, and I think it was only here in the US where it had a notable fanbase...
Okay, then PT would be named Ash if that was the case. Proving Pikachu's popularity didn't come from the anime. It was popular WAY before it.

Sakurai like classics more than new stuff. That also proves PT and the fact that he is the 1st gen. We probably won't get a playable 3rd or 4th gen in Brawl. MAYBE 2Nd, but not 3rd or 4th.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Okay, then PT would be named Ash if that was the case. Proving Pikachu's popularity didn't come from the anime. It was popular WAY before it.

Sakurai like classics more than new stuff. That also proves PT and the fact that he is the 1st gen. We probably won't get a playable 3rd or 4th gen in Brawl. MAYBE 2Nd, but not 3rd or 4th.
Actuallly, that's not proof. Pikachu's popularity probably comes from both the anime and the game. I believe he was chosen as the main pokemon on the show because of it's popularity in Japan, but for myself (and for most in the U.S.) Pikachu is known because of the show. I'm guessing the same applies to Jigglypuff.

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
But it wasn't until the anime and manga series gave him more cover time, and more toy deals, that Pikachu really started making it big. Before then, he was popular because Pokemon in itself was popular, which does not do much to prove your argument one way or the other.

Oh, and furthermore, the reason why Trainer is named Trainer instead of "Satoshi (Ash)", is because Sakurai DID have a strict "no extracurricular stuff that's not exclusively from the games", which included anime and manga. So instead, he used "Red" from the games, so that he could still have an "Ash" like character, but still adhere to his own rulings.

Sakurai like classics more than new stuff.
How do you know this, hm?

I mean, if that were the case otherwise, why is Lucas, as well as the backdrop to Mother 3, seemingly taking more of a center stage here, as opposed to things from Mother 1 and 2(Earthbound)?

Why is there evidently content from Metroid Prime in this game, instead of doing more to stick with Super Metroid and Metroid 1/Zero Mission?

Why is there stuff from Mario Sunshine, instead of maybe more stuff from 64 on down?

Simply put? Sakurai just goes to the beat of what he likes. He doesn't necessarily discriminate based on how "new" or "old-school" it is.

That also proves PT and the fact that he is the 1st gen. We probably won't get a playable 3rd or 4th gen in Brawl. MAYBE 2Nd, but not 3rd or 4th.
There's not enough to back up your argument.

The reason why we couldn't have any 3rd gen stuff in Melee, was simply because Melee was released years before that generation of games came out. All they did have access to at the time was the stuff from 1st and 2nd. I'm willing to bet that if they had the resources at the time, we probably would have stood to see some one else more worthy added to the roster of Melee, as opposed to Pichu.

But any way, now, we're in a newer era where we have two more whole generations of Pokemon for Sakurai and crew to draw from. I doubt that we stand to get a plethora of PKMN to the roster, but it probably goes without saying that he'll pay attention to the ones that have gone over well the most with the fans. And there still certainly is a sizable fanbase that loves Lucario both in Japan and otherwise...

Black/Light

Smash Master
But it wasn't until the anime and manga series gave him more cover time, and more toy deals, that Pikachu really started making it big. Before then, he was popular because Pokemon in itself was popular, which does not do much to prove your argument one way or the other....
Pika was choosen to be the mascott of the series BECAUSE he was more popular than the other pokemon when the game came out in Japan, not just cause pokemon, as a game, was popular. Because of this choice he was the main character's pokemon in the anime and became the top dog of all things pokemon.

So yes, like I keep saying on the topic of pokemon popularity (on other threads) the anime and poke-crap are by-products of the games and the popular pokemon in them.

All I felt like saying. . .carry on.

VideoGamer713

Smash Cadet
lucario will be one of m2's altenate costumes:p
Ummm, no, just no, they are completely different except for body structure similarities. Mewtwo is slow and levitates to move, Lucario is fast and runs, if he was an alternate costume then he would be completely different to wokr and then that would be a completely different altogether, that statement makes NO sense.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
I Would Love To See Lucario. I Mean He Has A Huminoid Shape And Great Fighting Style! What Else Can You Ask From A Pokemon!

Wrath`

Smash Master
Ummm, no, just no, they are completely different except for body structure similarities. Mewtwo is slow and levitates to move, Lucario is fast and runs, if he was an alternate costume then he would be completely different to wokr and then that would be a completely different altogether, that statement makes NO sense.
you do relize the :p means sarcasm

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I want Lucario in and all, but I just don't see how he's going to make it in as a playable past the rest of the 400 some eyed pokemon number (not counting Missingno: so deconfirmed). I mean come on, if Deoxys didn't make the cut than who will other than Pikachu?

Chepe

Smash Lord
As the most prominent latest-gen Pokemon, Lucario is much likelier than many believe. It has been discussed many many times, but since Sakurai is giving most series modern touch-ups, its not hard to believe that he will place a 4th gen Pokemon as playable. In fact, to believe he wouldnt is arguably foolish since Pokemon continues to be successful today...

Just know, that if he is confirmed haters and nonbelievers, that Sakurai went to Gamefreak for ideas/models/etc. and they probably suggested Lucario as playable...

CyberBenX4

Smash Apprentice
I want Lucario in and all, but I just don't see how he's going to make it in as a playable past the rest of the 400 some eyed pokemon number (not counting Missingno: so deconfirmed). I mean come on, if Deoxys didn't make the cut than who will other than Pikachu?
Simply put? Lucario is probably the most singular recognizable face of the Diamond/Pearl generation, thanks to the promotions, the movie deal (and he was voiced by a pretty significant voice actor in Japan, no less), among a number of other things. And he's also still relatively fresh in the minds of the people (which can't be said for Deoxys, because HIS movie is definitely old news now), that gives him even more favor.

Then there's the notion of, like Mewtwo before him, he could stand to be another different face for the Pokemon camp. If we were to get him, Two and Red(Pokemon Trainer), that would effectively make it so that we could get a pretty robust assortment of characters to represent the Poke-franchise. And I would hope as such, because Pokemon has plenty of bad-***** in its midst, and yet the likes of Pikachu and Puff are the ones most people associate with it, simply because they are the ones the general public see the most off...

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Simply put? Lucario is probably the most singular recognizable face of the Diamond/Pearl generation, thanks to the promotions, the movie deal (and he was voiced by a pretty significant voice actor in Japan, no less), among a number of other things. And he's also still relatively fresh in the minds of the people (which can't be said for Deoxys, because HIS movie is definitely old news now), that gives him even more favor.

Then there's the notion of, like Mewtwo before him, he could stand to be another different face for the Pokemon camp. If we were to get him, Two and Red(Pokemon Trainer), that would effectively make it so that we could get a pretty robust assortment of characters to represent the Poke-franchise. And I would hope as such, because Pokemon has plenty of bad-***** in its midst, and yet the likes of Pikachu and Puff are the ones most people associate with it, simply because they are the ones the general public see the most off...
Most recognizable face, huh?

Nintendo disagrees. And Daisuke Namikawa....I've looked at his roles. Doesn't look any different from most seiyuu. I'll admit he had some big roles, but....yeah. And Deoxys, old news? That's why they featured him in a Pokemon episode related to Pokemon Ranger, which came out after the Lucario movie, right? That's why Deoxys won a contest about being the most popular movie Pokemon, right?

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
Simply put in Lucario, he has a HUMINOID figure, and great fighting style, who else from pokemon really fits the brawl???????:chuckle:

VideoGamer713

Smash Cadet
Simply put in Lucario, he has a HUMINOID figure, and great fighting style, who else from pokemon really fits the brawl???????:chuckle:
Honestly, I want Lucario in over him but Blaziken fits that description just as well as Lucario, but I think Lucario's fighting style would be WAY betr than blaziken, plus i want blaziken to be the next hitmonlee/scizor with his blaze kick.

Layupfreak

Smash Ace
Honestly, I want Lucario in over him but Blaziken fits that description just as well as Lucario, but I think Lucario's fighting style would be WAY betr than blaziken, plus i want blaziken to be the next hitmonlee/scizor with his blaze kick.
Yeah i agree with you, also, we already have 2 fire breathers (Char,Bowser) why put in another? lol.

Top Bottom