• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
people at e for all have given some info....

I don't know what people know, but i just talked to Gimpy and some Oregon people on the phone who have been playing a Brawl demo setup for 1v1 with the classic controller, here's what they've said so far:

no wavedashing and no wavelanding

airdodging is like how we predicted, just go with momentum,

Fox can SH triple laser.
Fox can jump out of shine, but it requires that you hold down and B, you can't let go or he'll go into a different animation, hold down and b and then jump.

Bowser is hardcore.
Claw is ridiculous
Bowser will probably be top tier
Up+B out of shield is same, just as powerful.

Samus has a dark suit red visor, Fusion suit, Sonic costumes are recolors of blue, Fox has a starwolf outfit. Diddy Kong has Dixie Kong outfit without the hair, Bowser has a golden costume, made out of gold.

Mario's fsmash is so slow,

Samus can't missile cancel, animation doesn't stop, hard to do though.
Bomb jumping is tough, hitting bombs not directly on top of them knocks you to the side.
If you die as zero suit, you stay as zero suit, you can't automatically be zero suit like changing from Zelda to Sheik at the beginning of a round.

Samus charged shot isn't strong, peach was shot with it fully charged at 87% didn't kill.

Can catch edge even if you're facing wrong way, edgehogging is easy. Edgehogging will be the new edgeguard of choice, characters ‘click’ to it.

Peach is nerfed.
Peach’s dsmash is nerfed, no range
Float canceling not sure
Peach seems heavier

Sonic, not as good as you expect
moves don't have much knockback, kind of 'loose',
all the new chars, he's least popular, hardest learning curve

Do an aerial that has forward momentum and when you land it’s almost the same as a waveland. Certain moves / aerials have less friction/traction,

DI is more pronounced, you can get out of stuff a lot easier, takes knockback easier, can survive until 150.

L-canceling is not in as far as we can tell.

How does the game feel: Feels slower, definitely, on classic, feels awkward, accidentally jump alot, can't SH on the wiimote, everyone is so floaty. Brawl plays really differently, it’s awkward for now because not used to it. Not a lot of lag for moves, maybe lag lowered for sake of demo.

SetsumA

Smash Apprentice
if that **** is true, im not going to be playing brawl... lol.. i mean, it takes the skill out of the game when you take away l-cancling/wavedashes/wavelands and all that crap.. that REALLY sucks.

but then again, that guy could just be a com pleat noob. sighz

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
nope gimpyfish is a top pro at melee and is widely known in the smash communitty, and in another post it said he was playing with dsf

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Im sure we'll find new adv techs.... I just hope the game isnt too slow or that combo'ing is still possible(with increased DI and all)

kinda bummed about wavedashing and L-cancelling though. :[

D

Deleted member

i'm sure even if l-cancel wasn't included in the demo, it will be in the game.
im sad about wavedashing, but the game isn't complete, who knows what it will end up with.

in general though, that whole post was very depressing. melee might not die as the competitive fighter of choice for ssb players.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Even without some advanced techs the game is still gonna be fun and competitive. As long as mario can shoot fireballs i have a strategy, even though his fsmash is nerfed.

Thank god they finally nerfed peach, that wh0re

Vids look good

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
These vids look promising that we'll have close to the same thing as melee

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vNjm3PEFJDY (and no the characters are not that floaty its the fans on the stage making them float)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=47p2cRGqOrQ (this guy sucks with mario)

looks like he fsmashs out of airdodge in to upb = Pro *** combo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NoF97-3C-Rc (this vid looks good even though it looks like theyre trying to figure out how to go about fighting eachother the whole time)

That ***** in the backround is annoying

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26643.html?type= (this is where the real fun is at)

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
more news for those to lazy too look outside the LA thread

Hello all, I just got back from E For All.

Time to start by saying this: most of the professional smashers were able to make a good transition from Melee mechanics (Except for HugS, no johns) to the Brawl mechanics. Just to inform you, the game feels very different from Melee. Alot of characters in the game play differently, even characters such as Fox have modifications to their playing style. Alot of the control preferance was more towards the singe Wii remote rather than the Classic Controler (Even though the CC was infinitly better). I personally has a smoother transition to Melee than most players. Most of us are on a high level of technicality in the game.

Just to get quick to the engine details... Yes, wavedashing is gone, as the Air Dodge is influnced by your momentum. One good thing is that you are able to attack/ jump after and Air Dodge, which I personally enjoyed. L canceling didn't seem to be within the demo either, but it seemed unecessary for most moves, as the lag reduction/hit stun on the moves allowed you to do some chains, even though some moves had alot of lag. Now, the most shocking thing to me...DI. The DI is insane beyond reasoning. I was able to Smash DI out of several combos and live at percentages up to 200%

There are so many things that I can say about the engine change, but the one thing I can say that was dramatic was the floaty engine. Even characters such as Fox were able to maintain aerial attacking fluently, yet, he still had the same Fast Faller Feel. You may think that you can pull an easy Air Combo, but there is more to it than one might think.

There is still alot of stuff I want to cover, but i'm tired, hungry and I want to make some shout outs:

t!mmy & t0mmy- You guys are awsome, period. I had fun hanging with you guys. I'm still sad that I lost my first MetaKnight ditto with you t!mmy, i'll get you back. t0mmy, you're just **** with Pikachu, but everyone was stealing your style up their with the green bandana Pikachu. n00bs.:p

HugS- No Johns, period. MetaKnight can't kill for sh*t, so just DI. kthxbai

Neal- You're mean.;)

Gimpyfish- Once again, you're too good with Boozer. Just make sure you take a note that I did the first ever Drillshine in Brawl. You did the first Bowsercide though, lol. Money Match tommorow?

That one Mario- ****...
Sounds good too me, jumping and attacking out of airdodge is the new technique and momentum airdodging or whatever, no more wavedashing.... people will get over it soon enough

KenAlleman

Smash Rookie
I don't know if this was mentioned before, but in one of the videos i could swear i saw sonic attack out of his up-B. Maybe that's another new thing in this game too.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
more news

OK, spent lots of time playing today. Let's be brief for each character.

Ike: quite slow. His fair is garbage. His final smash needs to hit someone next to you to activate. It's a guaranteed kill if they have medium damage.

Mario: d-air is tornado and I couldn't get it to rise, but I suck. Fludd attack is really wimpy. His final smash pushes you across the screen if you get caught in it (contrast with Samus').

Diddy Kong: weird movement. His b-air is like Mario's and chains together really well; I used it 4-5 times in a row to kill someone off the side of Castle.

Link: he's OK. His up+b doesn't seem to pseudo-spike if it hits after the initial strike. His bomb will kill someone in sudden death.

Sonic: has a really large dash dance.

Bowser: is pretty good. His final smash is amazing and is basically a free kill (at least). Fortress cancelling, fortress from shield, and flame cancelling are back.

DK: his back throw sends you down if you use it near the edge.

Samus: can't bomb jump in the air very easily, maybe not at all. Either the timing is significantly different and no one could figure it out, or you just can't do it at all. You can still bomb jump on the ground (the bomb will send you into morph ball state). Either can't missile cancel or the timing is different to make it difficult to test. Using a bomb in the air gives significant mobility though.

Peach: d-smash has shorter range and does less damage; I used it on HugS in sudden death and it didn't kill. Her dash attack is now two hits, neither or which is particularly powerful. She can still pull beam swords (I WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO EVER DO THIS IN BRAWL -- WRITE MY NAME DOWN.) Turnips have some variety but none of them approached the power of Melee Stichface. Her F-air is still good, and her b-air is stronger. Her final smash can be shielded -- HugS had his shield up when I did one once, and his shield kept flashing and getting smaller like he was shielding something (I also did NOT get any peaches from this attack -- may have been a bug). Using her FS when opponent is in the air appears to warp them to the ground, but this may have just been them falling normally while the animation was playing. I don't think she can float cancel anymore; I was never good at it in Melee, but I tried very hard to look for any sign of FC aerials and couldn't find anything. Her usmash shows a heart at the top of her hands. Daisy is still a costume for Peach. I played her quite a bit.

Pit: doesn't seem very good; couldn't find a decent kill move?

Metaknight: very fast and lots of combos; his side b does a lot of damage but leaves you helpless after it finishes. I don't think he has many kill moves either, because I almost always saw him killing people via items. FS must connect with opponent, then it's an auto kill (?).

Pikachu: is cool. He has some badass costumes. His uair and fair combo very nicely into each other. FS is very hard to control, but if you barely tilt the stick it's not that bad.

Techniques and misc stuff
NO:
Wavedash.
L-cancelling (MY PERSONAL THEORY: l-cancelling was made automatic for the demo, because there are clearly moves with much longer recovery times shown in some of the trailers).
Double jump cancelling (Peach/Yoshi).
Yoshi jumping out of shield.
Start as Zamus (couldn't find a button combo).
Light shield (classic controller shoulder buttons are not analog).
Cannot seem to short hop with the Wiimote on its side.

YES:
Dash Dance.
Teching (normal, wall, and wall jump).
DI.
Smash DI.
Chain grabbing (was CG'd by Pikachu's dthrow [without DIing it] and have heard that Mario can too).
Crouch cancel.
Grab items in the air with Z.
Air dodge grapple with Link/Samus.

MAYBE:
Wavelanding; some characters seem to do something like a waveland at times. Hard to test.
Jump cancel shine. Reports vary. Most people cannot get it to work, but some claim you have to hold B while you press jump for it to work; they claim releasing B makes him start a "turn off shine" animation.

COOL STUFF:
You will grab the edge during/after most moves even if you're facing the wrong way.

The Edge Hug: HugS discovered this. Walk off the edge and smash the stick towards the stage. You will grab the edge. Faster than WDing off to edge hog. This is called the Edge Hug, of course.

C-stick does tilt attacks if you also hold the regular stick in the same direction. This makes it very hard to CC downsmash with Peach, because holding down to CC and then C-sticking down will do a dtilt, not a dsmash. You can do all tilts using this method.

Fox can short hop triple laser. But his lasers do not go very far; they disappear after a distance that is about the length of the hole that appears in Bridge of Eldin.

I can imagine Hugs trying to play samus in brawl and being like *** this **** %#$%#^% and throwing his controller on the ground

crouch cancelling is back:)

Something that resembles a waveland or slide, i dont know why everyone is having so much trouble with this everyone is like theyre might be sumtihng like wavelanding but we dont know, i guess more playing needs to be done

edit* some good news

Wavelanding is in, i did it the most at the event, but i'm not sure how i do it lol. Well i have an idea, i'll see tomorrow. I did it over 5 times in front of gimpyfish, hugs and other known guys. there is also a technique that is going to be huge or might be, but gimpy will talk about it in his thread. It's called ink dropping, at least that's how we name it.

for alot of info from gimpyfish go here http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=121329

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
This "ink drop thing" sounds interesting its like u can pivot out of a dashdance or sumtihng? it makes ur charatcer fall over but u can cancel it into a grab attack or sumthing i dunno i dont quite get it...

after reading gimpyfishes post it seems like pretty much everythig is back in except wavedashing as we know it in melee even stuff like moonwalking and float canceling, ledgeteching, are in and they said that once they find out how to waveland there gonna see if they can turn that into a possible wd.....

"Mario is freaking ****. seriously top tier material, his combos are way too good, and he's got some nice edgeguards, from what we saw mario is **** sauce, very natural feeling, he's got a lot going for him." -gimpyfish

Oh ya, thats what I like to hear

D

Deleted member

no info in snake... i guess he wasnt in the demo. i read gimpy's whole post before i realized who he was then his opinion mattered less.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I saw Gimpy Last Saturday. It was awesome.

EDIT: Nyte flamed.
Hey guys, its my first post here and I'm a little nervous, hehehe...
Your use of the word "****" is ****ing infuriating. How old are you? Do you know what **** is?
Hey Gimpyfish! Turn your baseball cap around when I'm speaking to you!
Now listen, I can understand that your insecure because, lets face it, you just wrote that ****... Still, that doesn't make you more of a man to make light of one of the most terrible things on earth. This is not your buddies living room. This is a forum.
... and for god's sake turn that Limp Bizkit down!
If your going to use the word **** that casually there are things that people will assume about you:
1. Your 15
2. Your a ****ing moron
3. you belong to this message board.
Seriously, who says that kind of ****? Who are you? Some kids creepy uncle?
Just do me a favor and find a place to die...
And for Christ's sake throw away that shirt!
Get your act together son. Make something out of yourself. Stop doing drugs. Quit letting your kid run around shirtless in the streets.
If I had a genie I'd have him **** you. Better yet, I'd set him free... like Alladin.
Learn to play virtua fighter....
BYE!

Flarefox

Smash Ace
becuz maple story is gay..i got into a different online NEXON game:
KartRider
(kartrider.com)
its pretty ****ing awesome. Its like DiddyKong Racing..except a little simpler. All it uses is an up/down/left/right, item button, and drift button.
Theres 2-8 player races, with or with teams, with or without items. You can unlock a buncha parts/characters etc...but that stuff is just gay for the RPG n00bs...either way, i'm just enjoying the 8 player team item matches..its pretty fun.
At the moment it seems like its mostly run w/ mexicans..but hopefully the english ratio will catch up since its been advetised in GameInformer now.
lol u shuld ply mplestory it a pro game!! u get 2 do the same thing over and over for 10 hours just to level up! all the way 2 200!!!!11@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ >________> Maplestory is actually a pretty addictive game, in a weird way.

I really need to try Kart Rider.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Man.. Too bad Zelda wasn't in the demo. I was hoping for more stuff for her. It looks like they took out quite a bit of stuff. Gotta think of new strategies I guess. Not bad.

And Yoshi STILL can't jump out his shield!? What the ****, Nintendo!?

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
yoshi should be able to egg shield during jumps.

and flarefox...join me in kartrider :O
i just gained a level..so i'm 900 exp or w/e.
Scenario one player mode is too easy..and then all of a sudden it becomes impossible. i'm stuck, lol.
Grinding/Snaking is waaaaaay too hard..and appears 90% useless..but some of these races u have to do it perfect to make the time...and its so easy to mess up, becuz ur unsure how exactly you should handle it (they're way to sensitive), normally you can do w/out them, from my exp so far.
but 8 player team-item matches are too fun.

but i'm happy w/ the brawl news. no wd/lc?...sounds sexy.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I'm just getting caught up on all this stuff, and I'm trying to figure some of it out. Maybe y'all can shed some light on some of my questions.
I assumed before I read it that they used the GC controllers, since I'm so used to playing Smash with them, and that's the constant. However, after reading a few of those fella's posts, I realized them using the words Classic Controller and WiiMote a lot. Did they use the GC at all? If so, disregard my next question. If not, do you think that could be a reason why the techniques are impossible/harder to do?
It looks like (as of now) there's a power shift, that some of the lower chars are making a comeback, and that Marth may not be whored out as much if Ike is his representation in the game (hopefully he is so I don't have to put up with friggin Marth). Any comments?
Finally, where the **** is the rapist? I've been waiting patiently, but this is ridiculous. I mean, I'm glad that some secrets might wait til launch to be revealed, but I'm freaking out here.
Also, FFA w/ weapons looks like it's gonna be so chaotic. I can't wait.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Vaughn, Vaughn, Vaughn...U know No one can jump out of Eggs.
You should be able to if you can break out of it. It's just not fair for Yoshi.. That's 3 games in a row now. Anyway, has anyone seen his up-b jump yet? If so, how good is it?

Anyway, it's good that you're coming back soon, Elvis. We can catch up in the blackest of nytes.

I really really wanna see some Zelda. I need to see what she's capable of now. Plus we still don't know if Sheik's still around or not.

Seeing as how Brawl's been pushed back to a later date, why not try to get another tourney for Melee up soon?

D

Deleted member

i hope they have marth, and i hope he's the exact same character. weight and all.
lol pwnt.

SetsumA

Smash Apprentice
hm.. maybe they pushed back the date so there dumb ***'s could add wavedashing... fckin goobers.
on a more serious note, i hope that bowser is top tier, and that everyone plays him, so it will be "Bizzaro Smash"

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
i hope they have marth, and i hope he's the exact same character. weight and all.
lol pwnt.
Lol. I sure hope not. If anything, they need to give all of his advantages to Roy, so he'd be awesome on all edges of his sword and he'd be able to recover faster and have an awesome counter all at the same time. He'd be invincible. =D

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
I would like too see marth and falco return in brawl close to thier melee form. I never thought they were cheap or broken because they definetly have counters and weaknesses. I think they are both good characters. The only bytch that needed to be nerfed was peach and she is. They didnt even need to touch fox but they so but oh well.

Maybe kirby will actually be good in this game, i cant see sakuri making his own character sucking in the game again

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i love bowser..i might main him if no one else awesome i like is included..or unless they are, but suck.

if u don't think marth and falco should be nerfed, ur a horrible person. They're the 2 best in melee. Marth won't make it back...but falco might. they'll gimp him bad.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
there gonna be another fire emblem rep, whos it gonna be?

Ganon in TP form and luigi (maybe with that vaccum) will be coming back

starfox will probly get 3 reps now fox, falco, and krystal (wolf is out cuz hes a fox costume)

Earthbound will get another rep which will be ness or claus(If u dont know who he is then u should look it up hes obviously the best choice for a brawl character)

F zero is getting no love at least capt. falcon has to be back

Capt Olimar should be in cuz theyve had 3 pikmin games

kirbys series is gonna have kirby,meta,dedede

They need another metriod rep too probly ridley

Shiek?

GENO............

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
becuz they're gay.

kart.....................rider.
turns out theres a pretty steep learning curve...i've found out alot of advanced tactics. starting w/ a boost, boost-landing after being hit by a missle, boosting after a successful drift. and those are just basic crap....
I've accessed new courses and rooms for harder competition so now theres people i c that are pretty awesome...and now i've seen vids..omg, i didn't realize this game was so deep...
nobody wants to join and team up w/ me to become pro at this awesome game? :(

Top Bottom