• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

insomniiac

Smash Cadet
insomniiac, can you tell me a bit about ZSS? Like what to do if I get caught with a dsmash, and what i should watch out for in general. I use a lot of fair with MK too, is that easy for her to punish? Posting here in case anyone else has random tips. Thanks man :)

:phone:
lol, nothing of metaknight's is easy to punish. i disagree with tornadoing a lot, because we are fast enough to just run away from it and punish your landing with a grab.

try not to get downsmashed at all, if you do, it's not gonna be pretty. just mash and try to DI down and away from her, it makes it hard to follow up since MK is so small. don't go above her because of upsmash, and her up air is really fast and can kill you early. MK's glide is really scary for her because she doesn't have may good OOS options vs MK, so simply shielding your glide attack puts us in a bad spot, and really all we can do is run away.

and what they said about gimping her recovery.

insomniiac

Smash Cadet
What character has less of a learning curve in Melee?
shiek, shiek, sheik. sheik. if you're trying to learn melee, i recommend using sheik just to learn the game and then once you get a good grasp you can pick up someone like marth or fox or peach or something.

BSP

Smash Legend
BSP reppin that no main
Since I have changed my mind at least 3 times in the span of 60 minutes, I might as well keep it empty and just go whoever I feel like.

I'll be back in BR for thanksgiving. Can I do any smash? No idea. I accidentally deleted my home wifi settings too lol, so I'll be setting that back up.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Well I'd rather not use Marth in Melee since I main him in Brawl. I tried playing Melee Marth and switching back to Brawl Marth and I had the worst time figuring out how to play Brawl Marth lol.

Yo BSP, I'll play you on Wifi when you get back. I got a wired connection now and it's been pretty nice. Not completely lagless, but enough to where it's sustainable.

ninjapenguin

Smash Apprentice
That helps a lot guys, thanks. I wouldn't have thought to use glide attack either. It's so easily punished by the whole cast I've pretty much stopped using it, other than on the ledge every now and then.

Also, I played melee marth once, and it took me like 2 weeks to get my brawl marth back to normal lol.

-Ran

Smash Master
What character has less of a learning curve in Melee?
Ganon.
Sheik.
Jigglypuff.
Peach...?

It's also good to learn certain characters as a means to improve your ability to hit buttons faster/better. Ie, 'dat Fox.

D

Deleted member

I think Gannon is like the opposite Of noob friendly. When I think of who is easy to start with I think who can get away with missing l cancels. Missed l cancel = a dead gannon

eet

Smash Ace
peach isnt easy. shes weird as **** and different playstyle than the other cast. You could argue the same for jiggz an samus. I say Sheik, and I feel like Falco and Marth are really good scrub-friendly characters cause of their strong move sets. Doesnt mean a noob falco/marth will be nearly as technical or good at spacing as a pro of course.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
You guys should go to Pink Beam Sword. Even though Brawl isn't the main attraction, it's still going to be something special. It's going to be really fun too. I'm so going to get 1st place!
In Smash 64 that is.

insomniiac

Smash Cadet
i think peach and gannon are also noob friendly. i mean honeslty, compared to like pikachu, samus, fox, falco, captain falcon, link, young link? gannon's simple compared to any of those characters, peach too.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'd love to see you pull off some of Peach's more advanced OOS options and float-cancels without a solid grasp of the fundamentals. Even then, as eet said, Peach is weird and plays very differently from everyone else in the cast.

Smooth Criminal

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah, I fancy myself pretty decent at melee and I 'understand' and can do a lot of the more technical stuff with peach, excluding turnip stuff, but I still get bodied by scrubs with her. Her play style and is just so weird. Even if she were easy to pick up (which she's really not) I wouldn't recommend her to newbies because the transition to other characters just isn't easy.

Ganon might be a good first character if you were playing against similarly n00by players, but playing against anyone from the forums would just get you punished hard for every missed LCancel and you'd die every time you went off stage.

I definitely agree that Shiek is who you want to start with if you're looking for someone you can learn quickly and then transition to other characters after. Plus a pocket shiek is always a nice thing to have.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
"noob friendly" is such a vague term that this argument won't get very far unless you establish a more specific definition for what you're trying to say. it depends on what stage of play you're talking about when you're saying "noob"

for a COMPLETE noob, the most "noob friendly" characters would simply be the ones that don't require much coordination or tech skill to get started. the easiest characters to pick up would be the ones with the lowest execution floor, which would be like.... sheik, peach, marth, jigglypuff, ganon, and maybe doc/samus.

however, if you want to step up your definition of "noob" to be a bad player who wants to go from terrible to mediocre, then i'd say that the easiest characters to learn would be like... falco first, and then probably fox because of their bullsh*t really good capacity to lock down their opponents and dictate the pace of the match. sure, they require good execution, but (spoiler alert)......
getting super technical isn't very hard. i initially broke through the mold in arizona's scene by being a technical fox/falco who only knew how to fish for free grab/nair opportunities and knew how to combo somewhat effectively. i quit space animals in 2009 because i was ashamed by how fraudulent my play was, and i became a much better player as a result
. on top of that, there's no shortage of videos to watch and players to copy if you use space animals, so they're easier to learn for that reason too.

at this level, the lower-execution characters become harder to get good with than fox/falco because they actually REQUIRE you to understand things like spacing and playing off your opponent's actions much earlier. the slower characters can't control the match quite as easily as fox and falco can (fox has a stupidly good DD and a stupid nair, and falco has lasers and a silly dair/nair), and therefore, they (the slower characters) require you to think critically earlier on in player development. additionally, their technical demand starts ramping up anyway because their competition is getting increasingly good at escaping combos, punishing mistakes, and whatnot.

to get GOOD with space animals, you will eventually need to learn good fundamentals, but learning how to press buttons effectively and how to exploit cheap bullsh*t really works wonders until you reach a high enough level.

tl;dr: this game is hard, and there's many different paths to take on your quest to become the best. pick a viable character that you like, and just have fun with it.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
peach is super noob friendly.
straight up the only reason I main peach in melee is because, when I was first starting out, I couldnt wavedash at all so I looked on smashboards and picked a character that didnt need to wavedash to be effective.

super noob friendly.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
I think people are sleeping on link. Personally, i think link and marth are easy to pick up and really learn how/why to DI, get generally easy/fast kills (upb and fsmash) and how to edgeguard "gay"

D

Deleted member

I took noob friendly to mean "has a decent understanding of smash games in general but has never played Melee at a competive level and has no tech skill established." just because that's what chkn is to my knowledge. So I stand by my first choices. Shiek and jiggs

insomniiac

Smash Cadet
peach is super noob friendly.
straight up the only reason I main peach in melee is because, when I was first starting out, I couldnt wavedash at all so I looked on smashboards and picked a character that didnt need to wavedash to be effective.

super noob friendly.
thank you, stingers. it's not about transitioning to other characters, we're not ******* here. no ones gonna go "oh, hurr this character can't float cancel" when they decide to play another character. it's about learning the game and being able to play a character without being complete ***. simply dash attacking, downsmashing, following up with aerials, and mixing up with float cancel will get you pretty far and all of that is simple to learn. fox, falco, falcon, however? good luck taking a stock off someone using those characters.

sheik still da bess.

D

Deleted member

stingers how good is adam2 compared to you? (melee)

also anyone remember when winnar came here talking **** and then got *****?

also, also, brawlman: ima be in pass christian wednesday and thursday. anyone good at melee around the coast? i messaged roboturner already

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Stingers is pretty godlike at brawl. Even if he did get 3 stocked by Esam, who lost to 8-bit. LOL.

omg I got 3 stocked by esam forever ago.
heres our most recent set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MQqYbinREA

just watch the first game its the best one I promise =]

and I beat lenny's mains with kirby in melee LOL. hes a fraud in melee. BUT hes a brawler so what do you expect...

Top Bottom