• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
If I beat Setsuma 10x in a row, does that mean I'm a phenomenon, or that Luigi is a Falco slayer? (Neither of which is true, I'm being killer sarcastic)(Did you notice that sarcasm doesn't work as well when you have to explain it, like I just did? Oh well, until they make a sarcastic smilie, I guess I'm stuck to doing this.)

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
For some reason, the prospect of a Tier system is beginning to grow on me. But there's just some things that I don't understand.
Here's a hypothetical-Imagine everyone in Tier 1 beats everyone in Tier 3 nine out of ten times (remember this is hypothetical). Now imagine that, for example, Sars beats everyone in Tier 3 nine out of ten times. Now for the question: Who would move down to allow Sars to move up? I realize that if he were to beat only Mary (example) nine out of ten times he wouldn't move up because the other three could beat him. But if he were worthy of Tier
3ness, how would it work? Or, imagine he were to beat Tier 1 consistantly but lost consistantly to Tier 2, would it make a difference? Or (and this is the effect I think will be), is everyone perpetually attached to their Tier now? If I lost to Vaughn a few times(for example), but I beat him in the future, will I be eternally deemed the title of Tier 5(?) because everyone remembers that I used to suck (not saying I don't now, but I'm keeping the tradition of examples flowing)? And what about if two people that never played against each other came together, and the one from the lower Tier proves to reign supreme? What about that? It's these remote situations that leave me vexed when a Tier system is created.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
iceman, it's the same with the character tier system. Just because a character is above yours in the tier list doesn't mean you'll always lose to them. It's just harder for a low-tier to beat a top-tier. You should know that from being a Luigi player. :p

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
iceman...true, your example is an exception to the tiers...but i think all your examples are almost impossible.

If someone from Tier 3 can't beat the Tier 2s..but he happens to beat a Tier 1...i would say Tier 1 must have been on a horribly off-day, and that tier 3 was just in his perfect zone. Otherwise...Tier 3 should prolly be moved into the botton of Tier 2.
So yea..these are just me and eet's calculated guesses (oxymoron!23), and with each smashfest/tourney that happens we grow closer to the truth, cuz its far from perfect, but this is the best we can do w/ what little we know.

granted we forgot Espirit that link player (i'd prolly put him near last) and that doc player that also plays w/ Setsuma(whom i'd prolly throw around Iceman)

Sudai

Stuff here
I'm happy to be t4~ :p

If only I could get even with Mary and Blaise.. Already go back and fourth with SatsumA~ *scurries off to play with his new phone before being mobbed*

Esprit

Smash Rookie
WHY DOES EVERYONE SAY ESPIRIT WTF

ESPRIT (NOTICE THE ONE I)

/endrant

but srsly, its a french word >>

and the Doc player that rolls with Setsuma is Tyran, Kalzar's older brother

and lol I'm so bad I didn't even make it on the list ^_^

SirSka

Smash Cadet
=========
Current LA tier**
=========
Tier 1: Lee, Cyphus, John
Tier 2: Taylor*, Eet, Ricky, Ray
Tier 3: RSIA*, Mary, Setsuma, Blaise
Tier 4: Vaughn, Sudai, Dustin, Matt, Sars Pirate
Tier 5: ShyGuy*, Randall, Sirska, BakeMonkey, Nicknyte, Iceman
Tier 6: Phil, Gamma, Jared, Derek, Austin, Audrey, Kalzar

* Out of Practice (OOP)
** As designed by Cyphus and EET
Ithought I was t4 material. I've beat sudai as much as he has beaten me. Anyway who cares, I can finally play smash again:laugh:

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
ZOMFG! I might have found a smasher (or 2) to play with guys!!!

And also, I've got more vids of myself up and all. >_> Ignore the sloppy edit jobs and all and ah, as usual drop comments PLEASE! And yeah, my Captain Falcon like doesn't dashdance, grab, and >Bs too much. T_T That's like such a difference from 2 months ago! But atleast I've got it on tape and know what I'm doing wrong and stuff, eh?

So ah link: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=LondonForces

More vids will be up soon, and for the Doc Vid, that was the second time I've touched Doc that day, and I've only played Doc legitimately against a human what like 4 times maybe? >_> And that was 3 weeks ago. So ah, yeah. If it seems really awkward, it's because it's been a whiel since I[ve used him and am trying to remember strats and stuff </end jones>

Oh, and I didn't even notice that guys like NickNyte already saw some vids. :D Thanks dude!

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
HEY DUDES BIG NEWS FOR SOME GOOD WEEKLY SMASH FESTS AND TOURNAMENTS THAT ARE LOCAL FOR U GUYS THAT RAM KEEPS TEARING UP!!!

ram said to meet him at Esplanade Game Trader (wednesday) or The Clearview Game Store (thursday) he said that the esplanade is at the mall and the clearview is at the clear view mall at each malls respective game stores in new orleans. u guys should go play ram every week when he goes also ricky and the other new orleans guys havnt been showing up latley so come play ram so he can get practice and he can rep the panhandle manhandlers to u guys so u might get interested in coming to our tournament or biweeklies. well yea ram is gunna post here or w/e when he gets to a computer with more info or to answer questions. peace

P.S. if this message doesn't make sense don't blame me i pretty much took it word for word from ram's mouth over the phone lol so yea just remember i talk me some better english than dat and stuff lol uhhh yea lol

RAM

Smash Lord
Obviously he did'nt come anywhere close to what I was saying over the phone so let me clear this up a bit. but Let me start by saying for the last 2 weeks I have been at the Esplanade Mall GameTrader tournaments and the Clearview Mall Gametrader tournaments. while I'm in town doing Contractor work and if anyone would like to Smash with me while I'm in Town that would probably be the only time we could play while I'm in the N O, other then that I'm too busy so come show some love for the Native Son of Louisiana XP. This means you too Cyphus and Lee

on a side note I played Matt and his Samus is Pretty good.

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
hey ok u obviously are better comunicated when your words are typed out rather than spoken lol j/k man i tryed and D4MN u posted quick u made it sound like u wouldnt until tomorrow or something lol YAY for biweekly tomorrow ima go drum til i pass out!

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
my Captain Falcon like doesn't dashdance, grab, and >Bs too much. T_T That's like such a difference from 2 months ago! But atleast I've got it on tape and know what I'm doing wrong and stuff, eh?
yea..u pretty much hit the 3 main things...
u gotta stop forward Bing man...i know it works well for you vs. that marth..but against someone better its gonna get u ***** >__<

i also noticed u A, A A, comboed......alot. What i see work best is A, A,...then a quick shuffle Knee. People let go of their block half the time and get kneed. Or Mix in some stationary nairs into more jabs, or dash grabs right after a single Jab or double jab. I find my capt works best when i'm acutally a lil more defensive...i do alot of random full jumps towards people then DJ retreat just to get them paranoid. And then i usually appraoch w/ Sex and shuffled D.airs to the other side the shield.
granted i don't play capt much...so i'm not expert on him, but i just preach whats worked against me as well.
maybe ur just playing off on these vids..but like..but i would never guess falcon is your main from the vids. Your sheik looks better i think.

about the tier list though.
...i've thought so much about that LA tier list..i totally redid a new one (w/out eet's consent :D) and now i'm alot more secure about this one.
but yea..i think we deffinatley made some mistakes the first time, not thinking critical on some players...and i'll prolly change my mind on this one tomorrow..but i think its already alot better!
Granted there are some interesting cases of certain people beating highered tiered players, i try to give higher priority to how they do, not just vs. each other, but how they fair vs. the same players (the higher tier oponents, the better judgement call). So for example...even if set beats blaise, i give more rep to blaise for being used to playing against my level, since he gives me more trouble.

Cyphus's Guesstimated Tier List**
Tier 3: RSIA*, Mary, Blaise
Tier 4: Setsuma, Dustin, Vaughn, Matt, Sudai, BakeMonkey, Sirska
Tier 5: Nicknyte, Randall, SarsPirate, Ryan, ShyGuy*, Iceman
Tier 6: Phil, Gamma, Jared, Derek
Tier 7: Kalzar, Austin, Audrey, Esprit

*out of practice
**all guesstimates made by cyphus are presumed fact

Sudai

Stuff here
It's not a wave anymore, Cyphus!!! : (

Anyway, I work till like 6 today, but after that I'm going to Set's place to play if anyone else wants to go.

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
Cyphus's Guesstimated Tier List**
Tier 3: RSIA*, Mary, Blaise
Tier 4: Setsuma, Dustin, Vaughn, Matt, Sudai, BakeMonkey, Sirska
Tier 5: Nicknyte, Randall, SarsPirate, Ryan, ShyGuy*, Iceman
Tier 6: Phil, Gamma, Jared, Derek
Tier 7: Kalzar, Austin, Audrey, Esprit

*out of practice
**all guesstimates made by cyphus are presumed fact
lol thats a nice "guestamate" but too bad the boards changed the tier lists from 7 to 6 lol so u must redo this other wise it isnt accurate lol

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
its lee's b-day today..and i have no work....so...iunno...smashfset at somebody's house?
set not sure...but uh..if we have any volunteers (looks at mary) <___<

dunno what we'll do...i now only have 6 dollars to my name (until friday we're i get my first pay check)...and i already owe lee 10 bucks.....so i doubt we'll show..but uh..
spill the details anyway, anyone, if u know them.
we pull out something!

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
cool

and if anyone gives me a couple bux, i'll play you 10x and experiment different characters/styles on you, and give the best suggstions, advice, and ideas i can...and give you the option where i sound like an *** or not.
hell...i trained lee...i gotta be good at it ;)

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
@ Ram, yeah dude. I already know about the mall tournaments, but the problem is they're all on weekdays, and I've got Rugby practive on those days. X_X If they could just move it to a Saturday just one time, then I'd be over there or atleast switch the smash tourney dates to some time when I don't have practice. And yeah, Matt's Samus is pretty good. :p

@ Cyphus. LOL, yeah I know. I've always thought that Falcon wasn't my best character, but I continue to call him my main because that's the character I started playing Smash with, and he's my favorite character out of everyone. Before Ryan's told me to switch from Falcon to Fox and work on him as my main while Tony's told me to that my best is probably Sheik or Samus. I also kinda figured that I'd move down the tier list if everyone saw my CFalcon as it was. T_T I seriously don't understand wtf happened. The style change that it underwent now from the beginning of the summer is pretty drastic. I guess I should've recorded back then >____>

And yeah, I've tried to incorporate a lot of double jump mindgames into my style of play now, but so far that's only really translated for a few of my characters. And I also used to do a lot more dashdances, foxtrots to bait laggy attacks, dash and then shield as a defensive approach, and actually grab, but the problem is that since Tony and I get to play every 2/3 weeks, we tend to forget stuff that works. And since I'm such a smash addict, I fill in the time by playing against CPUs which explains the constant >Bs, lack of the need to grab, massive amount of stomps, etc.

So ah yeah, that's it. But atleast now I know exactly how I've been doing **** horrible. And I also think I need to step back and stop playing people and just hone in on Falcon for a while. And then later on find a few comfort players to drift into and ah yeah. But atleast now I've found a smash player in my area so I can maybe slim down the once every 2/3 weeks smash playing.

And thanks for the advice dude.

SetsumA

Smash Apprentice
!smash Fest At My House Tonight!

4981 Inniswold Rd Off Of Bluebonnet & Jefferson

Std:

Come Come Come!

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Hey guys, just a question.

If I a tourney is thrown on a weekday at Dibbz, how many people would be willing to go?

And if it's necessary, I'll add money to the pot >_>

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Well gametrader tourneys are during the weekdays when I have school. But I get off for Thanksgiving and probably off of rugby practice also. So yeah I'll be going to the gametrader tournament during my break. But I don't think anyone else would be willing to go to a gametrader tourney since A) they don't pay real money and B) it's at 6 pm. :/

That's why I was wondering if I threw a tourney at Dibbz if anyone could come. And the reason why it had to be on a weekday is because Dibbz doesn't want anything to happen during a weekend cause that = a loss of customers.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Okay, Round Robined tonight at Set's place and here are the results. The most points a player could win is 12. 1 point per win.

1st - Eet 12 pts.
2nd - Nicknyte 10 pts.
3rd - Sudai 8 pts.
3rd - SetsumA 8 pts.
5th - Kalzar 6 pts.
6th - Tyran 3 pts.
7th - Esprit 2 pts.

:D Sweet, I got 2nd.

<_< Sudai and mine matches gave me a heart attack.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I missed it, but I already have a few questions for Nyte:
I thought Houma (or at least Cy) was going? What happened to that? And you beat Sets and Sudai? I don't believe that for a second. Ha. I wish I woulda went. I haven't played EET or Sudai in a while. And I can't wait to play Sets again. I want him to beat me a few times so the cosmos can realign.

Top Bottom