• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

-Ran

Smash Master
so is dibbz gonna have a second tourny? like double or low tiers or something?
It's a single tournament with Pools. Pools essentially will give you six or so matches prior to the tournament [assuming no one gets fully eliminated =p]. The pools dictate where you are seeded, based on your performance. During the tournament, if we have time -after- we might run another tournament, pending the desire of the player base. We're thinking about doing Draft Crews at the moment, so kinda up in the air at the moment.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I have more questions about the tournament, haha.

How are pools going to be run? I think I read 2 games (not best 2/3) here on Smashboards, but I didn't see anything on the Gametabs post.

Also, how many people are you planning on advancing from pools? Are you dead-set on a specific number, or will it change depending on what time it is?

I just like knowing exactly how tournaments I attend will be run, so I hope you don't mind all the questions.

Crews of some sort would be awesome.

-Ran

Smash Master
I have more questions about the tournament, haha.

How are pools going to be run? I think I read 2 games (not best 2/3) here on Smashboards, but I didn't see anything on the Gametabs post.

Also, how many people are you planning on advancing from pools? Are you dead-set on a specific number, or will it change depending on what time it is?

I just like knowing exactly how tournaments I attend will be run, so I hope you don't mind all the questions.

Crews of some sort would be awesome.
1. It's two matches, this saves TONS of time in the long run. Hobo does it this way, and it works well.
2. It depends on how many people show up. If 38 people show up, then I'm going to stick to the 32 man bracket, and use pools to determine who doesn't make it. I don't want to hand out a million Bye's. Once the half way would be reached to the next set of brackets, then I'll be willing to give out byes. So mostly, it'll all depend on turn out + time. There's also the possibly that pools might just end up being to determine seeding and not eliminate anyone at all!

I'm certainly thinking of adding to the tournament at this point to make it better for those that are traveling. There has been demand for crews and teams. So, which do you guys want more?

At the moment, I feel that the flow of the tournament is going to be->
11:30 - Set up venue.
12:00 - Players begin to show up, and play friendlies. Sign ups start.
1:30 - Sign ups should be 100%, and pools should be figured out and sorted. Rules are explained to everyone. People are still playing friendlies, and refuse to stop. =p
2:00 - Pools start. We can assume everyone will get 4 pool opponents [rough figure]. Average match is 5 minutes long. 40 minutes per pool player.
4:00 - Tournament Bracket should be 100% underway.
8:00 - Singles should be over.

Of course, that's all rough estimates. [very rough.]

HolyChef

Smash Ace
At the moment, I feel that the flow of the tournament is going to be->
11:30 - Set up venue.
12:00 - Players begin to show up, and play friendlies. Sign ups start.
DOUBLES
1:30 - Sign ups should be 100%, and pools should be figured out and sorted. Rules are explained to everyone. People are still playing friendlies, and refuse to stop. =p
2:00 - Pools start. We can assume everyone will get 4 pool opponents [rough figure]. Average match is 5 minutes long. 40 minutes per pool player.
4:00 - Tournament Bracket should be 100% underway.
8:00 - Singles should be over.

Of course, that's all rough estimates. [very rough.]
i fixed it for u

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
ya its like this guy is the enemy and then a bunch of other crap happens u turn into the enemy and find out the real enemy ... theres another enemy, 50 people join ur party.... the end another enemy

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Man, I haven't played a good RPG in a while. I've been all Guilty Gear XX Reload and Brawl lately. I heard Chrono Crusade was pretty crap, but when you compare any RPG to Chrono Trigger (Except Earthbound) you're going to get a pretty ****ty looking game. Is it worth playing?

Chrono Trigger DS November 25th. GET HYPE

Redson

Smash Journeyman

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Battou...just....wow. Are you seriously incenuating that Final Fantasy 6 was better than both Chrono Trigger and Earthbound?

Whatever drugs your on, I'm pretty sure I want some of them. To make someone as crazy as that...sheeesh!

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Updated Melee Tierlist

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199342

Fox 9.9
Marth 9.9
Sheik 9.7
Falco 9.2

High
Peach 8.4
Captain Falcon 8.0
Jigglypuff 8.0
Ice Climbers 7.9

Middle
Samus 6.8
Dr. Mario 6.2
Ganondorf 6.0
Luigi 5.8
Donkey Kong 5.4
Mario 5.3

Low
Link 4.7
Pikachu 4.3
Young Link 4.2
Roy 3.6
Zelda 3.0
Game and Watch 3.0

Bottom
Ness 2.5
Yoshi 2.5
Bowser 2.2
Mewtwo 1.8
Kirby 1.5
Pichu 1.2

XD @ Pichu

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Battou...just....wow. Are you seriously incenuating that Final Fantasy 6 was better than both Chrono Trigger and Earthbound?

Whatever drugs your on, I'm pretty sure I want some of them. To make someone as crazy as that...sheeesh!
Final Fantasy VI is the greatest FF and the greatest turn-based rpg. :]

We should have a best 2/3 to see whose rpg is bettar.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Crews would be fun, there's probably enough from Pensacola coming to have our own. There's probably only a couple others in LA anyway so it'd be like 3 or 4 crews competing?

I'm always down for teams as well. Love me some teams.

If time is really an issue, don't use pools strickly for seeding. At least knock out the bottom person of each. They had their 6 pool matches or however much, that should be enough considering they wouldn't make it far in brackets. Not like there's no friendlies either.

Depending on how many people are riding with us, I'm going to stuff as many TVs in the car as possible. I want enough setups to run side tourneys.

Redson

Smash Journeyman
My Final Fantasy VIII's "Maybe I'm a Lion" defeats both of yours with its epic and awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8h6vt-5B2g

And just for some overkill, I attack with "Liberi Fatali"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eSrBMsIw3s

This RPG Soundtrack's winner goes to: Final Fantasy VIII. Too good.

But please note, this is all just opinion based. Theres no need to get angry at eachother over this (Because I forsee it happening...I'm looking at YOU Battou) I'm actually enjoying comparing music. Haven't gotten to do it in a while.

Sheik_Pwns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aluran
3DS FC
0834-1378-6308
i yeah i no what your talking bout you mean the wave dashing crap listen that wont matter we all know what we do with wavedashers glidetoss em unless its metaknight wavedashing thewn its over

Slyfer070

Smash Cadet
STOP!!! HAMMERTIME!!!

Interesting vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elRvelIMdAw

IDK if this is an attempt at bringing a Melee feel to Brawl, but it's definitely worth watching. If anything, it'll cause nothing more than discord if people keep hacking Brawl to play like Melee, though I would like that >_>.
sigh...people just won't get off the melee bandwagon. If even a hint of this starts entering the tourney scene I'm done with this game. It's just ridiculous now.

Sudai

Stuff here
Crews would be fun, there's probably enough from Pensacola coming to have our own. There's probably only a couple others in LA anyway so it'd be like 3 or 4 crews competing?

I'm always down for teams as well. Love me some teams.

If time is really an issue, don't use pools strickly for seeding. At least knock out the bottom person of each. They had their 6 pool matches or however much, that should be enough considering they wouldn't make it far in brackets. Not like there's no friendlies either.

Depending on how many people are riding with us, I'm going to stuff as many TVs in the car as possible. I want enough setups to run side tourneys.
My vote actually went to draft teams as NOLA is definitely stacked compared to the other regions, skill wise.

<copypasta of his explanation of how draft crews would run>
1st through nth place are captains (where n = number of entrants divided by 3-5 [depending on how many people we want per crew]) and pick order would go nth, (n-1)th, (n-2)th, ... 2nd, 1st until all players are accounted for.</copypasta>

It'd be too good that way. We'd actually have somewhat even crews and since side tourneys are just for fun... : )

Also, I dunno how many people noticed ShyG's "Wavedashing in Brawl" link, (I actually just found it and came to post it here, but he beat me. D: ), it's an Ocarina hack and it simply changes airdodging to how it was in Melee. With this, we're one step closer to SSB: Brelee as a side tourney. (Seriously, how ****ing awesome would that be?)

Link for those that don't feel like scrolling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjrmVCB1ncY

Sudai

Stuff here
sigh...people just won't get off the melee bandwagon. If even a hint of this starts entering the tourney scene I'm done with this game. It's just ridiculous now.
This wouldn't fly in normal Brawl tournies as it would alter the metagame way too much. This would be nice to add for a SSB: Brelee side tourney though. Dun forget it! > : O

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The "melee bandwagon" comment was uncalled for. We don't know the intent of this hack, and we shouldn't automatically assume that this hack was made so that people could make Brawl Melee though it is the first thing that comes to mind. Also, you can't blame people for liking Melee, and I'd think that the entire smash community is sane enough to not let this enter competitive play. It's probably nothing more than an accessory for screw around with every now and then.

Pritch

Smash Lord
i don't agree with a lot of your character match up opinions. i do think that the fox vs shiek match isn't that bad tho. i would say slightly in fox's favor, but not a counter. i also think fox vs peach and marth vs peach are the same thing. slightly in fox and marth's favor, but not a counter. i dont think peach's problem is that she can't compete, i think it's just she has no matches that are actually in her favor. i think shiek vs peach is also slightly in shieks favor. i would probably say capt and falco vs peach are both about even, and i have no idea about jiggs, samus, or ganon. i've heard ganon has the advantage tho.

i just dont think referencing one vid of pros fighting really supports your argument. i could pull up a ton of pc's fox pwning dephens shiek, and probably beating kdj's shiek also.

i cant believe yall made redson eat 1/3 cup of cinnamon. that's insane.

this thread moves too fast.
Indeed it does move too fast.

And I should have been more clear when I put that vid up. I didn't mean it in the sense that sheik counters fox or anything (that'd be kind of ridiculous), only that she has game vs him. And I totally didn't realize that vids of dj's sheik vs PC's fox existed, checking those out now.

I'm not sure why you say you disagree with my matchup estimations, since I basically agree with what you said there (some people say fox is worse than marth, others the reverse - I used to prefer fox to marth but I'm not so sure as of late). If sheik has an edge on peach it's pretty small, and that matchup swings pretty dramatically if one player's not as familiar with it than the other (moreso than most other matchups imo - lots of little nuances to it). Agree on cap and falco, though I'd say that jiggs, ganon, and samus are all slightly in peach's favor (though jiggs can be close if you're not patient enough - god, that is a tedious match).

But yeah, peach is basically a character with all even matchups (give or take a little here and there) except fox and marth.

EDIT: I just watched dj edgeguard pc's fox with the chain successfully. Wtf.

Sudai

Stuff here
lol, my link was actually to robo's song from chronotrigger in mario paint...
Well then, good sire, you have epic timing. XD

As for the "Melee Bandwagon" comment, it really was uncalled for, but it is the most logical conclusion. The problem I have with the comment is that you assume that this is going to see actual tourney play and not just something as a side tourney. Idc though, because this won't be taking over Brawl competitive play at all. The Metagame's already advanced way too far to even think about making this big of a change.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
So

I've definitely started cutting the three whole matches I got recorded on Friday. I have Fake vs Chaddly, Sudai vs CJ, and Pierre vs Slyfer. I think I may have the time to upload them sometime soon, too.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Sudai, I just tested it out. It works for all characters, but when you try to air-dodge with ROB, it will freeze the game. Seems to be just him for some reason, and if you WD on the ground only, you don't crash.

Sudai

Stuff here
Sudai, I just tested it out. It works for all characters, but when you try to air-dodge with ROB, it will freeze the game. Seems to be just him for some reason, and if you WD on the ground only, you don't crash.
Seriously? That alone is enough to make me not care anymore... : (

I wonder if any of the coders will care enough to try to correct that?

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Urgh. Here it comes...brace for Redson's idiocracy, lunacy, ignorance and ****storms...

I never really could get the hang of wavedashing back in Melee. In Brawl, I guess I can say remorsefully that I liked the fact that it didn't have Wavedashing or any of that stuff. Blame my lack of skill, I know its true. Honestly, while I miss the speed of Melee somewhat, Brawl is better suited to my tastes.

This being said, I stupidly believe that this wavedashing hack is just one step in turning Brawl into Brelee, and ruining the tournament scene that I desired to participate in. If it was just wavedashing in friendly matches, it would be fine. But I sincerely don't think it will stop there. I understand some people want a game that feels like melee did, but this hack just won't be like that. I (Again, stupidly) believe that this will eventually be implemented into tournaments everywhere, changing the way many people play the game. I'm sorry if I seem radical for this, but if this hack is tossed into tournament gameplay, I'm quitting. I came to play Brawl, not Brelee.

It was hinted at this would happen not too long ago, when people hacked their Wii's to make tripping dissapear. One of the most complained about "Features" that made Brawl "Brawl" was removed to make it more reminicient of Melee. Some tournaments have most likely implemented it into the system. It's like making a new, "Improved" Brawl, "Now with more Melee!"

I'm sorry you guys are so dissatisfied with Brawl to have to hack the game to make it into an almost entirely new game, but don't mess with it unless its for friendlies. If "Brelee" is made by the fanbase, I really do think that Brawl itself will eventually fall down and die, replaced by its more Melee reminicient "Update".

It makes me have to quote "Slakerz" for a moment here. "Why can't this completely different game be more like that one?"

Don't listen to my ramblings unless you're willing to have an intelligent discussion about it. I'm aware that I'm ********, I'm aware that I most likely know nothing about the game, and yes, I am aware I am jumping to conclusions. But right now, I just can't help but be worried about it.

TL;DR: Plz dunt **** with Brawl. D:

Inb4 flame

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I need to read Sudai's posts. Did I forget to slip a ~snip!~ somewhere in here?

Inb4 flames from my cinnamon-filled mouth
>__>

This **** is not going to be mainstream. What you are not going to get rid of are the people that honestly enjoy Melee more than Brawl.

Man up and deal with the divisions.

Smooth Criminal

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I can only withstand that WoT without flaming you because you admitted you have a lack of experience. The WD mod will NOT enter competitive play for 3 reasons:

1. Largely, the Brawl competitive scene is run by new Smashers, people who did not play Melee and MOST LIKELY hated all the advanced techs and stuff in it. Most of these people have ignored that fact that they've adapted the same competitive mindset that Melee players have, but that's a different issue. The point is, these people still dislike the idea of making Brawl similar to Melee. You proved that in your statement, Redson (I'm not using just him as an example, this comes from experience with others). So, though they still develop all these advanced maneuvers in Brawl, their former anti-Melee mindset still remains and they will reject anything that threatens Brawl non-Meleeness.

2. I have faith in the Smash community that we would not dislike Brawl so much (for those who do dislike Brawl) as to where we would want to HACK the game in order to play it the way we would like too. It's just too much of a mutilation of the game for anyone to accept. People, may make codes that make it resemble Melee, but those are intended for fun only.

3. Like Sudai said, the metagame is too far.

Top Bottom