• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
Lee, the Brawl/Melee debate is something that people are concerned about and this does not exclude LA. It's not something you can avoid simply by telling people to stop. You'll just have to endure it until it ends, but you can't tell people to stop talking about it just because it sickens you.
it seriously getting old. hardcore melee enthuisasts will continue to play melee. the other 90% will play brawl. its not that tough. no game is better than the other. everybody has Opinions. Nobody is Going to change that. in other words people should shut about it because otherwise it Will NEVER end. accept it and move on. seriously.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
Meh, the debate's not really with anyone, but I think it does end up going somewhere. It really just creates two tiers of players. Melee players that play Brawl for cash, and the rest.

I doubt Brawl will go away, too much money involved. I'd just hate for Melee to slip as well which is really the basis for melee debates. Not to switch back so much as to keep people reminded of how good of a game melee is.

And guess who called the Hornets going this far? Oh yeah. CANT TOUCH THIS SPORTS KNOWLEDGE *****!

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The only reason I participate in the Melee/Brawl arguement is because Brawl brought a lot of people to the community, people whom are believers that Melee is a glitch-based, exploited game that "pros" abused the hell out of. We all know that's not the truth, but they don't, and they're the future of the smash community. Many of us will leave smash in a few years. I'm only 15 so I still have awhile before I leave, but I don't want the legacy of Melee to be a game that people cheated to win.

And Lee, the debate will end. People will get tired of it like you have. I've observed it on gamefaqs. When Brawl came out the noobs were flooding the Melee board daily, we debated for a long time. Now the squabbles have pretty much ended. There aren't too many arguements anymore. All the melee boarders all agree that they like Melee more than Brawl, and all the Brawl boarders have gone away. Both sides are tired of the arguement and nobody feels like trying to start any more conflict. This'll happen eventually. People will get tired of the whole thing and they'll just not want to bother with it anymore.

I myself havent gotten tired of it though, it's still important to me. The onl people I argue with are people whose opinions I don't respect. People who say stuff like "Brawl has more characters and features etc." or "They removed all the glitches and exploits that were in Melee." I have no respect for these people because they are trying to make a statement about a game that they know nothing about.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
>_>

I want to make it clear that I only talk to people that I can respect lol I don't mind hearing brawl arguments so long as they're not arguments like that contain just fault out wrong information about Melee or are just overtly . . . hopeful??? <_<

eet

Smash Ace
Well anyway I think I've settled with olimar and peach, with 3 or 4 third ppl - kinda up in the air. And while I don't really understand what the argumetnt behind the competitiveness is (of course ppl want to win?) , I don't get why you guys are makin all these comparisons. - jus play both games lol

Sudai

Stuff here
So, I forgot to mention today was my last day of school. If anyone in the greater BR area wants to play, I'm down, just call me up or something. Randall, try to get in touch with me if you see this? I PM'd you my contact info and stuff but I'm not sure if you ever checked it.

I know a lot of you are still taking finals and what not, but...well...skip them! Kidding, kidding. Lulz and a half.

Oh, also, I've basically settled on my second, who I'm thinking will probably replace ROB as my main and make ROB a secondary to handle the bad match-ups, but we'll see.

D

Deleted member

lee, i bite my tongue for most the things you say but this one struck a chord. you're so abrasive it's ********. insulting all of us like children or something.i guess just because you're the best smash player in la you think you're better than us or something. it doesnt matter how good you are at a game, anyone can still have an opinion about anything you put concern in to.

for the record, no one was arguing about this (except maybe freddy), and it's a fair discussion between friends. unlike the **** you just said which was a complete bashing of people's opinions.

this is a message board for smash. it's meant for us to talk about anything we wish that is smash related, and it even bleeds into people's personal lives sometimes. its not a big deal, as long is no one is actually fighting.

i suggest you think hard about your next post.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I resent that last post (if it's still the last post when I finish this one). Lee's not only the best, he's also Lee. If he wants to ***** out everyone for arguing, he has definitely deserved the right. If he wants to tell people to stop talking, he can. If he wants to tell me to wear his man-mother's makeup/clothes and proceeds to perform the Brown Recluse on me (which is kinda like the Spider position, but you won't be able to walk for a while, and I'm sure y'all all new that), he can, because he's Lee. I for one will quit arguing about this Brawl/Melee thing, not because it's stupid, but because he told me to(though I'll still participate in the general discussions about the differences between the two games where my 2 cents are needed). Go ahead and ask me why. I do agree with the PMing each other if anyone has arguments, though I've said that a few times before. The games are different. That's obvious. The games are really different. The aforementioned player was one of the best in the former, and he's the best (as of now) in the latter. That either means that he's a freak and was born with that skill (which I don't believe is true), or he has practiced like hell, played awesome competition, and has a philosophy on the game that others do not, all three of which are made apparent when you fight the guy or watch him destroy other people. So in my opinion (which doesn't mean much), his ideas on the two games go pretty far up on the totem pole. If I'm wrong, plz tell me so I'll know better.

Entreri

Smash Cadet
Props to Lee for saying what he really thinks. Message boards are used to post messages though, I'm not really sure what you think people should be talking about instead. Melee and Brawl are completely different games. Just because they both start with Super Smash Bros. doesn't mean anything. Think Third Strike and MvC. Things are similar, but comparing them is ********. If you don't like Brawl play Melee with whoever you can find, but don't blame Brawl for killing melee, and if you like Brawl don't get offended when people diss it, beacuse there are plenty of other people out there who like it.

I find all your posts entertaining enough to skim over every few days. Thanks for filling up that void between when I get home and go to sleep. And to that note, please don't talk in PMs. Ever.

D

Deleted member

like i said before, no one was arguing until lee made such an abrasive post, bytching everyong out. just because lee is the best smash player, doesnt give him the right to tell anyone what to do, especially if we arent arguing or insulting anyone. like i said (again) before, this is what the boards were made for.
what belongs in the pms; is lee's msg, iceman's message, and this message. but since yall can't heed your own words, i won't either.
being better at a game than others does not in any way, make your opinion more valid than theres. it doesnt take a good player to know alot about a game; it takes a smart enthusiest.
no offense to sudai, sars, or tim; but i can easily beat them all in melee. this fact means nothing when talking about game strategy. they're all very smart people and have intelligent things to say about the game and different tactics. it's the same kind of thing with us discussing (NOT arguing about) brawl. once again, just because lee is better than us, doesnt give him the right to act like an *** or tell us what to do.

iceman, you only made it worse by making such a noob post. its like you think lee is God or something. pft...

edit for kyle's posting while i was posting::

the only thnig wrong with what you said was i wasnt arguing about melee being better than brawl. if you look at my response to vaughn's post it explicitly states that game preference is an opinion, not something to be pushed on other people; while discussion of the topic in a friendly manner has nothing wrong with it.

edit for testament's post because i feel like it::
lol, thats ********. there is a 80+% chance that lee will beat me and everyone else at 3lt. this by no means makes his opinion correct; which is what ive been trying to say.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
you interpreted me completely wrong. im not acting like an a55. im not trying to offend or insult anybody. i Do NOT think im better than anybody. i dont need to think hard about my Next post. i posted what i think. take it or leave it. i didnt go out of my way to insult anybody on a personal level. i didnt post to push anybody around. i only post "abrasively" when its needed and when the thread is going out of hand.

like seriously taylor are you threatening me? i post what i believe and you exclaim that no argument started until i posted that. You are the only person who's starting an argument. ill drop whatever kind of argument with you taylor. i dont want to ever talk about this again. i wont talk about this anymore so if you want to look down on me because of it then shoot for it. Your right, this board isnt meant for arguing so i will post no more concerning this matter.

i made my opinion. anybody can take it or leave.

Ever_Power

Smash Cadet
*Ever walks in at 4:06am*

*Lites up his last ciggarete*

Look's around....then says to himself........

I dont know what the **** you guys are saying.

IM GOING TO WIN 3LT *****ZZZZZZZZZZZ! HAHAHAHA

*Takes a hit*

Anyway........

Let's just end this argument guys, through the smash years ive seen random people get in arguments and yell at each other at tournaments. In the end, we are all still friends and hanging out with the same people. Remember too you can say something online but someone may take it completely different. Thus when in person you understand how it's coming out of there mouth....

Anyway point is, lets all pick up our skirts and move on.

Taylor- Who do you play in brawl? Wanna pick me up some american spirits for saturday <3

Kyle - Havent played you at all in brawl wtf man?

Lee - You already know what I got to say (Ueahz!)

Sars - I havent seen you in forever bro, when you coming back down so I can get banned from your house again lmfao!

Everyone else - Hello!

D

Deleted member

i love melee.
im only going to the brawl tourney to try and win money.
i never thought id say that kind of thing, but i just rly dont enjoy playing it on any level.

im fine with dropping this argument, but im sure people will still compare opinions about melee and brawl.

matt, what type of american spirits would you like:
full flavor
lights
ultra lights
organic full flavor
organic lights
menthol
menthol lights
mediums (charcoal in the filter, for no reason)
no filters
perique blend (specially grown tobacco which is then fermented into a relatively harsh smoke; but good)

if i remember anymore ill add them. there should only be 10 though.

and i play marth, and lose.

(i feel like any debate i bring up is going to get flamed. oh yeah, i dont care lol)

i think marth is rly good but i think meta is top of the top, with rob, olimar, toon link, marth, zelda, and maybe ike and i.c. following behind.

i feel a little bit less like a tier ***** these days (but only a little)

also the tier list might alter later (although i dont think it will do so as much as it did in melee). meta seems like shiek when the melee list came out. easy to use and be good with. later we were like woah wtf at other chars and they passed shiek up. i doubt the brawl metagame will evolve like melee did, but no one can ever say what will happen for sure.

the pen is.

Sudai

Stuff here
So like...3LT is Saturday. I'm probably heading up to BR to smash today. Leaving after I pick up my cap and gown around 1-2ish. So uh, call me if you wanna smash some?

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
mediums (charcoal in the filter, for no reason)
My knowledge is needed! Actually charcoal is very helpful. Charcoal helps absorb toxins and other harmful chemicals. Thats why some people put a piece of charcoal from a fire into water when boiling it. The water may be black but safe to drink. Man vs Wild ftw!

SetsumA

Smash Apprentice
My knowledge is needed! Actually charcoal is very helpful. Charcoal helps absorb toxins and other harmful chemicals. Thats why some people put a piece of charcoal from a fire into water when boiling it. The water may be black but safe to drink. Man vs Wild ftw!
Man vs wild? I AM the wild. And the Man.

OKAY GUYS TIME FOR A NEW GAME!

Its called The Jesus Point Scale!

Here's how it's played! :]

Theres a tier list of Jesus points.
20 people can be on it.

Heres what you do, each person can give anyone he/she wants to give, "Jesus points"
but you cannot give jesus points to yourself.

The Jesus Points Scale game will now commence.

DANCE MONKEYS!

Edit for the Love of Creation.

Each person can only give two jesus points.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Sudai, I'm good for playing tonight, probably after 6 or 7ish. I guess I'll give you a call/ text when I'm free. I seriously need practice, haha.

Also, 3LT is a featured tournament on allisbrawl. Cool stuff.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tounament

Host: Never-Lan
Type: Meetings - Convention
Time and PlaceDate: Saturday, May 24, 2008
Time: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Street: Corner of Bertrand and Congress
City/Town: Lafayette, LA

Description
Never-Lan presents the Super Smash Tourney of the year! We are hosting a tournament to help local students raise money to go to an international cultural seminar in Dallas, Tx. The tournament will have an entry fee of $10 and there will be prizes for 1st and 2nd place. The prizes are to be announced, but they are gonna be awesome!

Here are the rules:

-Choose your character at the beginning of the tournament and it will be used for the duration of the tournament
-Bring your own Controllers!!!! you know what you like to play with.
-Personal preference for Controller (Aka GCN or Wiimotes)
-3 stock, 4 player Brawl
-6:00 time limit
-double elimination
-all of the chosen stages will be random.
-best of 1 game
-Top two advance to next round
-Winners determined by place, not by kills total
-Kills will be used to determine advancement should a tie occur
-NO RULES CAN BE CHANGED (No agreeing to turn off items) You MUST play with rules stated

Items ON:
Smash Ball, Poke Ball, Sandbag, Dragoon Parts, Warp Star, Metal Box, Bunny Hood, Beam Sword, Home-Run Bat, Lip's Stick, Star Rod, Hammer, Super Scope, Ray Gun, Fire Flower, Cracker Launcher, Motion-Sensor Bomb, Freezie, Smoke Ball, Hothead, Mr. Saturn, Green Shell, Banana Peel, Spring, Unira, Soccer Ball, Franklin Badge, Screw Attack

Stages ON:
Battlefield, Bridge of Eldin, Castle Siege, Final Destination, Luigi's Mansion, Delfino Plaza, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Pirate Ship, Shadow Mosses ISland, Frigate Orpheon, Green Greens, Battleship Halberd, Corneria, Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium Melee and Brawl, Green Hill Zone, Smashville.

Invite All Your Friends

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
I don't really know that I wanna go to Lafayette for a FFA/item tournament, although I wouldn't go for any other tournament either. I'd be more interested in this than standard tournament play as I think my ffa/item skills are better than most smashers 'round here - stayin' alive is the name of the game. If I could catch a ride with someone and just throw in a portion of gas, I'd be more inclined to go. Any takers? Possibly you, gnuf, since you live in BR as well?

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
See, the problem with the internet is that sarcasm isn't conveyed well. The only thing I actually believe about my post is that the two games are different and PMing is a good idea. If you didn't figure out I was kidding, then Lern Sarcasm, noob. You're silly. I figured the cross-dressing and performing a sexual position with another guy part would've given it away, but apparently not. And besides, I don't believe he's God, I believe he's a god (sarcasm again, in case you missed it). When the hell have I even been serious, save the post about Brawl/Melee. I don't wanna stay mad at you, angel, it brings everyone else down. Let's have a pillow fight to make up. I'll bring the hot chocolate and Jim Beam.
Oh, and I award my Jesus points to.... Chuck Norris. Though I believe he has more than enough.

Ever_Power

Smash Cadet
Looking for a place to smash today? No one brings a wii to dibbz anymore. Except for when ray comes sometimes..

Also, Wolf is Broken with that **** reflector lol.

We sbould get the local news crew to come to the brawl tournament and get a TV spot.....Now that would be gangsta!

D

Deleted member

lol i never thought i would have to explain this.
'for no reason' is an old LA smash joke, from when lee 3 stocked me twice at my own tournament in br. i know how charcoal filters work but i doubt matt did so thanks for the info anyway!

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Man, when I saw the Laffayete tourney I though it'd be awesome since it'd be like MAYBE 20 mins away. But items and all stages FFA? EWW

Ever_Power

Smash Cadet
I find the game alot more fun with items and FFA lol. After all that's half of how it supposed to be played, the other half is how we play it 1on1 no items etc...

Anyway, Battousi is GAY!

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
i guess its to be expected when you try to make a party game a competitive one, but **** brawl is flawed.

just saw the infinite chaingrab against ness and lucas, pretty much screws them for high level competitive play seeing as how the people they were supposed to be soft or hard counters to are now counter ers to them. (lol grammartime) i thought the whole falco thing (laserlock and cg) was bad until this ****.

it sounds scrubby but **** im just frustrated. i considered ness on my A team

Ever_Power

Smash Cadet
i guess its to be expected when you try to make a party game a competitive one, but **** brawl is flawed.

just saw the infinite chaingrab against ness and lucas, pretty much screws them for high level competitive play seeing as how the people they were supposed to be soft or hard counters to are now counter ers to them. (lol grammartime) i thought the whole falco thing (laserlock and cg) was bad until this ****.

it sounds scrubby but **** im just frustrated. i considered ness on my A team
Which is no different than in melee when marth and chain grab fox/falco and IF done Perfectly instant KO them with the gay combo.

Same with Ice Climbers wobble.

Im sorry but if you get chain grabbed once then your style of play should change so they don't get another chain grab on.

And falco's chain grab Ive learned something about it, I have nothing to worry about from that garbage character.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
true. in retrospect there were a few techs like that in melee. but in melee the spacies had the achilles heel in that there WERE combos that COULD kill them and perfectly combo/kill them because of their physics.

these techs are not in brawl, however, and when you have chars that were once weighed down because of their fastfalling but are no longer, its like their kryptonite has been removed. superman with no weakness = broken. Granted they are not as Dominant as they were in melee, they have some assets that garner them a lot more power than others.

i realize that every game has seemingly broken techs and that i sound like a huge john right now. im just havin a scrubby britchy day. fook me.

i just wish i didnt fall in love with a game that personifies unfulfilled potential and balance

furthermore: taquitos from on the runs = win

Top Bottom