• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
im probably going to quit smash after 3LT.

Game is fun but not my style. I like fast paced game. It aquires fast reaction, fast thinking, on the spot comprehension, etc. I think those traits is what determine a good player.

example(maybe not a good example)- Anyone can determine what is 2+2+3+2+6+9
but it depends who can bring up the right answer faster.

brawl is just getting boring to me, plus my girlfriend keep making me play mariokart wii with her.-_-

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Do you guys honestly think that the majority of people will/would switch back to Melee? (Im just wondering)

Also, as for the "comparing skill" thing. I wasn't HORRIBLE at Melee, but I was certainly mediocre. I can say that since Brawl, I seem to be able to compete better with players who used to **** me. (although I have gotten better too.) But I still love Melee, and I might even like it more than Brawl, but Brawl is what everyone is playing so I will too.

D

Deleted member

everything about Melee was known in 2 months? news to me.
he didnt say you would know everything, only be able to decide if you like the game or not. all the people who like brawl arent waiting for more stuff to be found out about it, they know they like it. it's the same for those who dont like brawl.

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
he didnt say you would know everything, only be able to decide if you like the game or not. all the people who like brawl arent waiting for more stuff to be found out about it, they know they like it. it's the same for those who dont like brawl.
I don't mean to be a douche, Taylor, but I think Mankosuki might be referring to this..

All of Melee's advanced tactics were discovered within 2 months. SWD, wavedashing, L-cancels, SHL, etc all were in the game within the first two months. Form then on it was just evolution.
I don't know if that's true or not, I really can't say because I didn't even know about the game until a couple years after release, and then it wasn't for but a couple years ago that I had even heard about smashboards and then I came to find these new things. Is anyone around here a hardcore smasher since the inception of Melee and a walking history book on the metagame development?

I'm just curious to know the answer. If it was indeed all discovered within 2 months and then simply evolution after that.....we may have heard the bell toll for Brawl. I just assumed that eventually Brawl would be different than it is now.

-Ran

Smash Master
Wave dashing was found relatively quickly...

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=8628&p=127587

Quote from rob1out, April 28th, 2002:

the wave dash is practically useless with marth, since he goes so slow with it so there is no use using it. The wavedash was discovered in december. i found it out by accident. the wave dash allows quick retreat, unpredictableness, and allows you to go to the enemy and forward smash without having to wait.....

Melee was released December 3rd, 2001.
However, the applications of it weren't immediately found until later. I can't give you ane exact date for that. I'd have to hunt through the boards. [I wasn't around for Melee at all.]

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
The applications for wavedashing are debatable. The technique was found out quickly but unapplied for every character until Mike G really used it which is why the technique still evolves today.

However, Luigi players everywhere still used it as did IC players so it was just used by characters with longer wavedashes--at least in the super competitive scene (as in the West Coast scene). However, a lot of other players did use it (Southern and EC players) just they weren't as prominent or as good at the game as the naturals that were Ken and Isai. So yes, the application wasn't fully implemented for all characters, yet everyone freaked when they saw, say, Luigi's wavedash.

And *pound* @ Lee.

Prince for sex.

Sudai

Stuff here
There's a big history thread for melee somewhere. I'm too lazy to find it.

As for brawl though, I enjoy it. I enjoy melee too though. I prefer brawl for a fun get together game. I prefer melee for a fun competitive game. Basically: I'll play either, but currently, I want to play Brawl more because it's newer. I also think comparison between the two is ********. They're different games and not an add-on of each other. So meh. I hate the argument because I think it's ******** to argue. Even if Brawl was an add-on of brawl, the argument would still be ******** because everyone's gonna have their opinion of the game and since it's an opinion, you can't prove it one way or the other. People's minds don't change without proof. *********** at its finest? (The arguing, not the trying to prove an opinion...which is kind of ******** too.)

-Ran

Smash Master
People historically have always argued over the most ridiculousness things. I think it comes down to the fact that people want their method of wasting time to be better than your's? O.o;

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Wave dashing was found relatively quickly...

However, the applications of it weren't immediately found until later. I can't give you ane exact date for that. I'd have to hunt through the boards. [I wasn't around for Melee at all.]
So you're saying that 5 months after the game came out, people still didn't really know what to do with the techniques at their disposal? Hmm, interesting. 7 years later and Marth's WD was still kept under wraps because it was too slow, correct?

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
i feel like im on a jury in a court room.... brawl vs. The state of LA
all im saying is i have a reasonable doubt...

my vote stays not guilty

Ever_Power

Smash Cadet
Jesus you guys wtf is wrong with you........

As far as may 10th goes...I was LAST and rarely met any of you so feel free to find me and introduce yourself to me.

i know the usuals vaughn, freddy, Randall, eet, taylor my american spirits friend, shyguy <3, mura, and sudai, sirska, and iceman.

You others on the boards i'd like to meet cause for some reason i havent? And i've been on the boards for years lol just never posting.

Also, you'll probly find me outside smoking, or w/lee,ricky,ray,john.

Last note, I used to say this at Melee tournaments when Lee,cyph,john,rice would be there...."well i know who the top 5 are already lee,cyph john, rice etc..."

Atleast in brawl I think the balance is there and end results will be interesting.

Oh and im driving alone unless someone needs a ride?

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Well.. I thought going into Brawl would turn out to be a fun and exciting new experience for me seeing as how I never had a really good history with Melee. But now it turns out that people are just as (even more) competitive as they've been before, which I hate because it just makes more arguments.

Melee's cool and all, but I seriously just don't believe all that much in a game where combos consist of incredibly relentless attacks which your opponents can do absolutely nothing about. For example, Sheik's forward tilt to forward aerial death combo. It's fast , the hit stun is really long, and the trajectory of the aerial is so strong that even Smash DI can't save you from death. Not even Kyle can live from it and he's DI pro.

At least in Brawl, people have a chance to defend themselves from most attacks, allowing different approaches and predictions to be made in the attackers combos. I believe the game is more even now except for some characters that can be abused such as Snake, Metaknight, or R.O.B., which is what I believe Sakurai said he intended it to be. He said in an interview that he didn't intend either games to be competitive (It is just a bunch of Nintendo characters fighting for no reason anyway.) It's like what I was discussing with Phil and Kyle last night about who would win in fights between different super heroes. By removing the technical barrier from Melee, the game now appeals to less experinced players who didn't enjoy Melee before because their opponents were just simply able to overwhelm them with all of their cancels and relentless approaches. Simply put, people just didn't have enough time to think. The distance even between pro and decent players was just incredibly too much.

Even snaking was taken out for Mariokart Wii to make the playing field more even. Trust me.. There were a lot of complaints on the Mariokart forums about that. I was good at it too. Ask Randall.

Now there is a camping issue in Brawl that I am a little upset about due to Eric's Olimar, but I must say that I'm having fun trying to figure out how to get past it. It's making me think more on my feet rather than just using the same approach over and over. I can beat it sometimes, but not without a lot of trouble. I can beat Eric's other characters just fine too, but I still consider him a better player than I am because he's smarter. Just because it's harder to win in Brawl doesn't make it a bad game.

And I'm sorry, but I'm tired of the same 4 characters being picked in almost every single fight. Not to say it won't happen in Brawl eventually, but that's all I saw in the entire last year of Melee. At least in Brawl right now, I've seen every character being used in fights, including Ganon and Bowser of all people.

And people don't like this game why? Because they took out some things that they liked and put some different things in? Sorry, but this is a different game and a little harder to adjust to. The same thing was with the switch from DDR Extreme to DDR SuperNova with harder timing and harsher scoring and more difficult songs. 9 footers seem more like 10's now with the addition of SuperNova 2. Seriously, I've never HAD to use the bar in order to be decent on a 9 footer before, but you don't see me complaining. Sorry to say this, but l-canceling and wavedashing just made Melee broken in my opinion. They made different characters have their own specific cancels in Brawl.

And people still continue to treat this game, which was supposed to be fun, for an overly competitive use. Because of this, I am upset with both Melee and Brawl. Although I have fun with both games, others seem to take it to an entirely different level. This is the same reason why I quit competitive Pump It Up other than the fact that I didn't really like the game in the first place. The community took it way too seriously for my taste. I thought it'd be different for Brawl in Smash, but unfortunately I was sadly mistaken. No offense to anyone in particular, I blame the whole boards for this. Gee wiz, people. The game hasn't even been out for 2 months yet...

I hereby announce that not only am I quitting competitive Smash forever, but I am also quitting competitive gaming as a whole. Too many arguments are being made and too many people are getting hurt at the same time. All I really wanted to do was to play this game for fun. I see that can't ever happen with tournaments where everybody wants to win so badly, that they counterpick top tier characters that they don't even play with against you just so they feel they have a better chance to beat you. I'm not naming any names, but you know who you are. I just don't feel that that's the way to play and have fun.

I do not regret having played with the people that tried to help me and make this game fun. People like Taylor, Eric, Tim, Kyle, Randall, Lee, Nicknyte, the NOLA crew and recently Sudai, DSK, and Ken which I feel like I've become better friends with over the time that I've been competitively playing. Call me up sometime, guys. I'll still be playing both games for fun and I won't john or complain because I know that I'm not all that pro, but I will not be entering nearly as many tournaments as I used to. It'd be about as rare as me wanting to go to a Pump tournament. And I'll still go to Dibbz sometimes to see Lee and the NOLA crew because I like to play with them too.

I had a similar problem with this game last summer too. Then I realized that the only reason I really wanted to play it in the first place was because Zelda was in it and you can play as her. And I still do to this very day because she's simply my favorite character.

Congratulations, Smashboards. You've officially ruined the game of Super Smash Bros. for me.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Games that have winners/losers/high scores etc. are going to be competitive whether you want it to or not and people want to win(I've never met anyone that wanted to lose).

TheDownSyndromeKid

Smash Cadet
Vaughn, if you ever wanna do some 4 player FFA, items on, random character, all stages on....call me up. I <<<333 the random silliness of a "mario party packin' more than just dice".

Sudai

Stuff here
Icy, I do something like that in the halls at my school every day... People stop in the middle of the ****ing halls so I have to yell "Stop stopping" cause people piss me off. I don't care if you're like...up by the lockers or something, but no, these *****es stop in the middle of ****ing hall way intersections and like...break dance and **** between class. It looks cool as ****, but then they got the ****ty break dancers that just piss me off. I forgot what I was talking about.

SetsumA

Smash Apprentice
-chad quote for truth.

-vaughn, you will be playing soon.

And since you already bad-mouthed me, then ill go ahead and say this.

Stop being a p|_|ssy about the **** game and just play reguardless of what people say. who gives a **** about competetive play, cause at the end of the day it doesnt mean ****.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Sudai and DSK, you know I'm always up for 4 player FFA's. Any items and any stage and any character. I'll do home run contests, target tests, multi-man melees/brawls, boss battles, etc. I'll even still do 1v1's and whatnot cuz all of the above mentioned are all part of the game which I still like to play. Whatever I can do to play with you guys is fine. Playing with friends is always fun.

Just don't expect me to play in many tournaments or seriously as often. Those will be extremely rare occasions.

Entreri

Smash Cadet
What? Don't you play alot and try to get better Vaughn? As long as you're trying to improve you're playing competitively. Doesn't it go without saying that people who play competitively do so because they enjoy it? What is wrong with that?

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Not really, Kyle. Since last summer, I mostly just felt like playing competitively because everyone else was. And I mostly just felt like playing because I just thought it was fun. I wasn't necessarily trying to get better, just playing the way I felt like it and just playing around with the characters that I liked. It was a cool way to meet people too (hence that's how I met you). I tried to enjoy competitive play this time around thinking it wouldn't be so bad, but now most other people have taken it to an extreme level. It's pretty much gotten to the extent of hurting other people, which you know that I hate doing. So, I'm pretty much putting a stop to it by isolating myself from most of the competitive players and just playing and learning on my own terms with friends. And just playing for playing. This is part of why I've been so depressed for nearly 7 months. I know that there has to be a way to play without being so overly competitive and I know that this cause has a meaning to it. The problem is that no one cares enough to try to take part in it.

D

Deleted member

I don't mean to be a douche, Taylor, but I think Mankosuki might be referring to this..

I don't know if that's true or not, I really can't say because I didn't even know about the game until a couple years after release, and then it wasn't for but a couple years ago that I had even heard about smashboards and then I came to find these new things. Is anyone around here a hardcore smasher since the inception of Melee and a walking history book on the metagame development?

I'm just curious to know the answer. If it was indeed all discovered within 2 months and then simply evolution after that.....we may have heard the bell toll for Brawl. I just assumed that eventually Brawl would be different than it is now.
oic.
with the lack of quote, i thought he was talking about cyphus' post about liking the game or not, within 2 months.
i didnt even read sars post...

edit::
after going back and reading all the posts in between i still dont have much to say.
i agree with kyle, in that i enjoy competitve gaming. not that i have to win, but the competing is what i like about fighting games. this is part of the reason i have always loved smash. that combined with all the technical ability required to play melee. brawl doesnt have this, therefore it bores me.

if you dont want to compete, that is a completely understandable opinion, and no one will hold it against you at all, but i think it crosses the line to say that a: smashboards ruined smash for you and b: it's completely wrong to compete at a fighting game.

i disagree with some of the other things you said, but its rly not a big deal. it's mostly your opinion and isn't a bother to me. i still love you.

in other news::
this punk at work (who is normally my friend), freaked out on me today because i was standing too close to him and put a 400 degree, hot greasy friend shrimp onto my arm and held it there on purpose. yet another 2nd degree burn to add to the colection.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I never had problems with chain throwing, even though some of my friends tend to call me a "chain-throwing *****" but they should really lern2play. Seriously, I main Kirby. If you get your *** handed to you by Kirby when you're playing as Pikachu or Lucas, you have no right to be offended when I chain throw you with Falco. Play better. Infinites on the other hand are a much different story. I find them to be much lamer in Brawl than in other games such as MvC2. If I'm playing Marvel and I end up getting caught in the Magneto or Iron Man infinite, I give props to that player for the weeks, maybe months that it took him to master the timing on the entire roster. I feel slightly perturbed in Brawl when I miss a tech and end up taking a massive amount of damage against a wall by a person that is simply holding the "A" button. This still isn't as bad considering Sheik could chain throw a higher percentage of characters in Melee IIRC than Dedede or Falco can in Brawl. Not to mention that she could also punish them much worse when the chain throwing was over as well.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
For the record, I never said that competing in a fighting game was wrong. Normally competing was the level that I was trying to achieve for a while. Now to the extreme level that it can and has gotten to, that is a different story. Being an elitist basically and shutting down others immediately simply because they've had more experience, etc. That is no fun.

But like I said before, no offense to anyone in particular. I still like Smash. 64, Melee, and Brawl. I just don't like the level it's gotten to.

I love you too, Taylor.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
If smashbros didn't have an extreme side, there would be no reason for SWF to exist. If this were simply a party game, who in their right mind would want to travel across the nation to play it?

Also, elitists lately have been shutting donw the brawl noobs who think they know everything, when they have only been in the smash community for a few months and have no experience with Melee. The people who deserve to get shut down are getting it.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
everybody should seriously Shut The f8ck up about all of this brawl vs melee crap. send pm's to each other or something because i dont care. all you people do in this thread is argue and its sickening. for once just Shut up, grow up, and get over it. this thread is full of so much bull its pathetic. this game will be competitive no matter what. im so competitive when it comes to smash that its not even funny. i always play seriously and try my best and thats probably why i get so far. who knows but i beg for everyone to quit flaming this thread. especially if you dont know what your talking about.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Lee, the Brawl/Melee debate is something that people are concerned about and this does not exclude LA. It's not something you can avoid simply by telling people to stop. You'll just have to endure it until it ends, but you can't tell people to stop talking about it just because it sickens you.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Lee, the Brawl/Melee debate is something that people are concerned about and this does not exclude LA. It's not something you can avoid simply by telling people to stop. You'll just have to endure it until it ends, but you can't tell people to stop talking about it just because it sickens you.
He can tell people whatever he wants, it's America. xD

They don't have to listen though. hehe

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Probably not for a long time if ever. I was trying to have one, but I wouldn't've worked out.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HORNETS!!!

Top Bottom