• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

BSP

Smash Legend
Ok, I know I'm looking hella fickle right now, but hear me out. I've looked into what Jnig and Bomber7 have said. This is my tournament series, and the rules should be my decision.

BRM#2's rules may change again by tonight, but they'll be finalized by tonight, no question (this gives you all 2 weeks in advance to decide if you're coming or not because of the rules)

I hate to keep changing on you guys, but I clearly need to think about this more.

Edit: again, is melee going to have more than 6 people this time?

'V'

Smash Lord
again, is melee going to have more than 6 people this time?
Considering that only 13 people showed up for Gameware, I wouldn't expect the turnout for Melee at BRM to be much more than what it was before. I would suggest making a side event for Brawl and have people play Melee friendlies if they wish.

BSP

Smash Legend
Bsp where's the next tourny gonna be at
Same place, Laser tag, Feb. 4th

Considering that only 13 people showed up for Gameware, I wouldn't expect the turnout for Melee at BRM to be much more than what it was before. I would suggest making a side event for Brawl and have people play Melee friendlies if they wish.
I see. I'll make this change then.

Same place. If theres ever a Brawl side event how bout mid/low tier side tourney?
I think I can make a poll on the tournament page, so I'll see about that.

I'll take ideas for side events.

Ok, and here's my final ruling on BRM#2's rules:

Prior to Apex happening, I was planning for all BRMs to be MK banned because that's what was going to be standard. After watching Apex, IDK why, but I just started jumping to conclusions and making rash decisions I guess. I shouldn't have let one tournament influence me so much.

So, back to my plan that was before Apex:
100% following Unity

That's it, done. No more jumping around :glare:

BSP

Smash Legend
If you tell me what Waseda doubles are :confused:

Would anyone like to do AllBrawl?

I think it's random characters, items on medium, some sort of timer...not sure

ChKn, do you plan on coming to NOM or BRM?

I imagine most people are out doing stuff right now, but if anyone has any preferences for a side event, let me know.

We have low/mid tier tournaments and Waseda doubles proposed

Okuser

Smash Ace
BSP, my opinion is that you should implement unity this tournament for experimental reasons. Make a "permanent" decision on the matter after the event so you can analyze if attendance goes down, if people are happier/unhappier and if tournament placement changes drastically.

Your previous reasonings for allowing MK in your tournament are SOLID. But, wanting to keep your tournament standardized by using the full ruleset is also understandable.

:phone:

Sudai

Stuff here
The way I see it, allowing MK in our state does not alter our states viability in other regions. Due to us not having an 'MK issue' you won't be fighting multiple good MKs, and anyone that wants to be good on a national level should realize that they have to follow unity out there so not to use MK. The only thing that would detract from a LA player's ability to play under the unity Ruleset is if we banned stages or characters that are legal under unity, not the other way around.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Waseda doubles is randomized character-locked teams. It originated in Hawaii and I brought it to Texas, where it's become the state's most popular side event.

Everyone who enters writes down their name and character on a piece of paper. Once everyone has signed up, the TO pulls from a hat and pairs teams up. You can also put PR'd players in a separate hat so you're guaranteed 2 PR'd players don't team. It keeps things fresh, gives everyone a fair shot at winning money/AiB medals, and creates interesting team combos that would normally never happen.

×MÁR× the best diddy

Smash Apprentice
I liked the mk banned in doubles and allowed in singles rule I'm sorry if I offend anyone but the mks out here aren't gay enough\trained enough to be banned I don't want people not comming or making johns because they can't use there main all I'm saying mk is free lol and I enjoy ****** people that think going him is a guranteed win

BSP

Smash Legend
thanks for the explanation Zigsta

And everyone who wants MK in bracket: go to NOM, and there's no one stopping you from MMing MKs at BRM if you really want to

There's a mix on ban and no ban tournaments going on in the US, I'll give us the banned experience

For example, Texas is going to have another WHOBO in the Summer, and it's going to be MK banned.

You don't have to show up to BRMs, but if you only use MK, again, I recommend you get a second, because this year is looking like it's going to be pretty mixed. I'd imagine that if you just stopped going to tournaments and only went to MK legal ones, you'd fall behind anyway due to lack of game practice in general.

ChKn

Smash Ace
The only thing that would detract from a LA player's ability to play under the unity Ruleset is if we banned stages or characters that are legal under unity, not the other way around.
This.

Just have a half and half type of **** with the MK ban. It won't make much of a difference, since we don't have enough people that can or want compete regionally or nationally.

'V'

Smash Lord
Personally, I feel that MK should be banned not for the sake of it, but because other states in our region will hold Unity ruleset tournaments (Texas being the biggest one). MK mains can pick up other characters and, by all means, they should. If it turns out that they don't want to put in the effort, then they really should quit. If they haven't learned to have fun with the game over a few rules made to try to balance it, then they're playing it for the wrong reasons.

'V'

Smash Lord
"Other people do it, so we should too" pretty flimsy logic

Have fun getting wrecked at HOBO's due to lack of banned MK experience then. Or rather, have fun getting better at all, because the only people that do well out of state for the time being are Lee and JNig.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Since MK is banned, it looks like I'm not going anymore. Looks like we have to hold off all our MMs until the next tournament.

RjPunch

Smash Journeyman
Know what, MK should be banned. I personally don't care if he's banned or not, but if its to make the community better than so be it. If other states are running MK banned, LA shouldn't be behind everyone complaining. What's so hard to pick up another character and learn them.

Gunnermaniac

Smash Ace
It's easy to say "Pick up a new character" but that's honestly bull****. If I spent an entire year working on my Pikachu tech/knowledge only to have my character banned, I'd probably quit. Obviously some of the things I've improved on apply to all characters, but still.
Personally, I think if we're losing even one person to MK ban, we shouldn't ban him. Who gives a **** if we follow Unity if we're going to lose some of the few people who are decent and come to tourneys. Our scene just isn't big enough to ban 3 or 4 players' mains. (D. Batto Curlz, am I missing anyone?)

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
What of players you could potentially pick up? I mean, I'm looking to bring Mobile/Pensacola's 4-6 to more OoS tourneys, but we're probably not going to go to MK legal events.

: /

Okuser

Smash Ace
If your Snake is on the same level as your MK, then you should have no problem with MK being banned...
I was playing MK before I even knew a tier list existed, why shouldn't I be able to play my favorite character? There are like 3 (.D, curlz, batto) people in the state that play metaknight, 2 of which wont attend tournaments if their main is banned. Who is it hurting to keep things how they've been FOR YEARS.

It's easy to say "Pick up a new character" but that's honestly bull****.
And yes it takes an enormous amount of time/effort to get another character tournament ready, it takes MONTHS (unless you're Li D. and play every character in the game amazingly lol)

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
And yes it takes an enormous amount of time/effort to get another character tournament ready, it takes MONTHS (unless you're Lee Martin. and play every character in the game amazingly lol)
Everyone knows this.:glare:

Btw my opinion is do whats better for LA Smash. If banning MK will gain more interest from newcomers then do it.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I was playing MK before I even knew a tier list existed, why shouldn't I be able to play my favorite character? There are like 3 (.D, curlz, batto) people in the state that play metaknight, 2 of which wont attend tournaments if their main is banned. Who is it hurting to keep things how they've been FOR YEARS.

And yes it takes an enormous amount of time/effort to get another character tournament ready, it takes MONTHS (unless you're Li D. and play every character in the game amazingly lol)
Well MK is why Li-D is quitting for one, two it hurts everyone who wants to compete out of state and three things always change, when I went to my first tourney stage striking was new.

'V'

Smash Lord
Fun Fact: Both of my "tournament viable" characters became ready after about 2 or 3 sessions of playing friendlies with other people, and I'm still able to get decent placings in tournaments, and they both do better than my first main who I had played for about 8 months.

Top Bottom