• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

ChKn

Smash Ace
So I may have found another place for us to have tournaments in Lafayette. Its a little different than normal though.

How would you guys feel about playing Smash Brothers in the middle of the Mall of Acadiana at a Video Games Kioske?
Gamestop? It's right near me, so I wouldn't mind.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Well, it'd help attract curious players wouldn't it?

I say take whatever we can get
Attracting a crowd was my main argument for the people working the kiosks actually. They already have 5 TVs set up around the stand do all we really need is to bring systems. I'm going to talk to them later about dates.

Gamestop? It's right near me, so I wouldn't mind.
No, it's a stand that sells a retro gaming console with over 100+ games loaded onto it. They offered to give one to the first place player as a prize.

:phone:

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Hey, mostly for NOLA guys, but anyone is welcome:

What do you guys think of having weekly smashfests at my apartment? I feel that we can't get new people to come out often because we have nothing "fun" for them to look forward to, or any way for them to practice, at least on a consistent basis. Basically for a fun, non-serious environment to play smash.

Also, I want you guys to take a look at this: http://www.smash-con.com/index.html I LOVE IT

Blaise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1078-3265
Whelp **** marvel, I'm hype for smash con now

Edit: Curlz, I can bring a wii if you ever do the mall thing.

Savon

Smash Ace
Doom is right up there with Wesker. Doom got unnessecary buffs and wesker did not get nerfed like he should have. I ended up dropping Shehulk though. She sucks now. Trying to build a frank west team, but for now I use Nemesis/Dormmammu/Skrull

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
Vaughn's not going to Smash Con, I saw him at GW yesterday.
I'm not even sure I'm going because Bomber's my ride and he's unsure.

Savon

Smash Ace
I played vanilla Dormammu and although he is better he is not top tier. Still one of the better chars though IMO. I disagree about his rush down being good. His teleports are solid, but besides tridashing and using light attacks his mixup game is still lacking. The flame carpet nerf as also big. Dormammu having better frames on his specials is huge though. I am
Still playing around with new special cancelable dark matter. Looks fun.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
people being big noobs about wesker, wanting him nerfed.
the fact that he gets a glasses-off buff doesn't make him any more broken than wolverine w/ speed up or dante in devil trigger mode. To become that better character, he still requires a meter OR being hit a bunch first (which, if you don't kill a character after 2 combos, you're not good at this game). The fact that it last until he switches out is a mute point. Other characters get to keep their upgrades, and an upgrade itself is not game-breaking considering he still dies in a combo.

Phoenix was a different story because she had guaranteed-safe, multiple solo-crossups, and a keep away game that literally, most of the cast could do nothing about.
people *****ing about wesker? really? just ****ing catch him and kill him or play keep away. He can't camp in the air, and he can't teleport behind someone with an invincible attack.
yea he's great..so are ALOT of characters. Zero, dante, virgil, Mag, Viper, doom, sent, joe....etc. Many characters have safe offenses with potential death combos. Wesker is popular, because his combos aren't as easy to drop as other high tiers- so he's reliable at this, early, point in the game, but he' has more difficult matchups than other top tiers- who have other ways of dealing w/ matchups, i.e. camping, better teleport/punishment- whereas wesker is more 1-dimensional to his ground-based game. </endbeingright>

Sudai

Stuff here
I mean, I'm probably sticking to Doom just because I <3 hidden missiles and he is pretty ****, I just feel awkward with him. Don't matta though. I can do 80% health combo on most chars with Hulk almost any time I touch them lol.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I played vanilla Dormammu and although he is better he is not top tier. Still one of the better chars though IMO. I disagree about his rush down being good. His teleports are solid, but besides tridashing and using light attacks his mixup game is still lacking. The flame carpet nerf as also big. Dormammu having better frames on his specials is huge though. I am
Still playing around with new special cancelable dark matter. Looks fun.

tridash light into crouching which is standard with any tridasher plus ambiguous crossups of j. S. How is that not good rush down? Oh, and he can block during back airdash now, his defenses and keep away weren't strong enough so let's make sure if he gets caught in the air he can make a safe retreat. Dorm can also create combos from a hit almost anywhere on the screen.

people being big noobs about wesker, wanting him nerfed.
the fact that he gets a glasses-off buff doesn't make him any more broken than wolverine w/ speed up or dante in devil trigger mode. To become that better character, he still requires a meter OR being hit a bunch first (which, if you don't kill a character after 2 combos, you're not good at this game). The fact that it last until he switches out is a mute point. Other characters get to keep their upgrades, and an upgrade itself is not game-breaking considering he still dies in a combo.

Phoenix was a different story because she had guaranteed-safe, multiple solo-crossups, and a keep away game that literally, most of the cast could do nothing about.
people *****ing about wesker? really? just ****ing catch him and kill him or play keep away. He can't camp in the air, and he can't teleport behind someone with an invincible attack.
yea he's great..so are ALOT of characters. Zero, dante, virgil, Mag, Viper, doom, sent, joe....etc. Many characters have safe offenses with potential death combos. Wesker is popular, because his combos aren't as easy to drop as other high tiers- so he's reliable at this, early, point in the game, but he' has more difficult matchups than other top tiers- who have other ways of dealing w/ matchups, i.e. camping, better teleport/punishment- whereas wesker is more 1-dimensional to his ground-based game. </endbeingright>
Everything in this. The issue with Wesker right now is that yes he was nerfed in some aspects but his damage output and combos are still pretty much the same. Everyone could do Wesker combos in Vanilla so at a tournament why would I use a fundamentally better character that I could **** up with when I could use Wesker and not **** up at all? As the game goes on Wesker is gonna fall. Many characters are much scarier than he is.

edit: Holy **** I just saw my sig again for the first time and it made me lol.

BSP

Smash Legend
^^^I'm sure that wouldn't be very difficult. When I learn how to do quarter circles and not suck at Marvel, I'll enter one too.

Just wondering, why don't we travel much? Lack of interest? Jobs getting in the way? Other?

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Yall covered just about everything. It's jobs for me, and I seem to be the only long distance driver...

And there's Marvel tournies like, EVERY Friday at Dibbz, right?

Anyways Smashcon hype!

'V'

Smash Lord
There are tourneys at Dibbz on Fridays, but not every Friday. It's like every other Friday I think.

And Sudai, not to discourage you or anything, but there's A LOT of good people that play Marvel. Tourneys are good for seeing the top of the metagame, but I also advise to go there when there aren't tourneys and just friendly as much as possible if you're serious about getting better at it. You'll learn much faster that way. It's also really fun.

And yeah, not gonna go to Smashcon this weekend. I'll be returning from a Christmas party the night before and I'll have other obligations later that day. Sorry, BR guys. :(

Also, Patch Announced: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/...nounced-hh-included-vita-version-has-replays/

Top Bottom