• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Savon

Smash Ace
Savon Jones
English IV
January 13, 2010
H-Block

To Paddle or Not to Paddle

The real world is a harsh and unforgiving place. In the real world people can only rely only on their instincts and judgment when it comes to decision-making. Only we can make the choice of getting up in the morning for school or work. Only we can make the decision of whether or not we will carry out the responsibilities that are so crucial in our day-to-day lives. A man is not paddled at his job for being late, nor is he paddled for not having a regulation tie or shoes. This is the logic I am applying to my stance against the paddle being used as a form of discipline at St. Augustine High School. One cannot simply beat discipline into a person; it is something that is learned through life experiences and through decision making both good and bad.
Many who support the paddle feel that having it makes students do the right things in school when it comes to behavior, homework, and following school uniform. This may be true, however is this truly how we want to instill discipline into the youth of our school? Students should be encouraged to follow rules and do their homework because it is the right thing to do, not because they are simply scared of being paddled by their teacher at school the very next day. In an educational setting this may not seem like an actual problem. Work would still getting done and rules would still be being followed. This seemingly looks like a working system with no real flaws. The true problem sets in once this student is no longer in high school and the punishment brought on by the paddle is no longer a reality. Students are then thrown into a situation where the paddle will not be there to scare them into doing making the right decisions later in life. Simply put, the high school student no longer cares about wearing proper uniforms or handing in work on time because the paddle is no longer there to intimidate them into doing it in the first place. This is one of the biggest issues brought on by having a disciplinary system that revolves around paddling students for the most menial of infractions. What does it say about our society when 17 and 18 year old men must be paddled because they do not have a writing utensil for class? The paddle is an example of something that seems effective in the short term, but has the potential to cause serious problems in the long run.
The second main problem brought on by paddling is regulation. Where do you draw the line between when it is necessary to paddle a student and when it is simply overkill? Such arbitrary standards result in a system in which there is no real standard for what is an action worthy of being paddled for. Some teachers may consider paddling to be something that is reserved for only the harshest of offenses such as extreme disrespect to a teacher or fellow classmate. Other teachers may see even the smallest offenses such as being late for school along with blanket punishments for entire classes due to the actions of few.
In conclusion I stand firmly against paddling in schools because of the lack of true discipline that in teaches to students along with how it creates a system that is very easy to abuse. The real world does not paddle its citizens to get them to follow rules; the citizens must learn the rules or suffer much more severe and real consequences.

ignore this

Turazrok

Smash Master
Lmao I pwn you all.

I wrote a paper on melee vs brawl and got a c.

I didn't explain metaknight well enough.

D

Deleted member

you must be a pretty bad writer to get a c on a paper you know so much about

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Soooo what exactly is the plan for Oh Snap tomorrow? When are we leaving and stuff?

Last time I checked, I'm not the only one who is going, so I'm not the only one who has to care, amirite?

What am I, yall's travel agent?

RickyB

Smash Cadet
Savon, free will dose not exist. Now go redo that paper unless you are still in high school, in which case turn it in and make a C

Vaughn you should do a speed run of super mario world at some point. It would probably only take you like 15 mins.

I'll be in lafayette this weekend if anyone is down for brawl

Turazrok

Smash Master
We discussed how free laffyette is today in english class and came to the conclusion.

SUPER FREE

Turazrok

Smash Master
And up until that post I was looking forward to your music hacks.

If you had said techno, megaman, golden sun, sf, blazblue. BUT NO

NICKI MENAJ

BlueBomberXTJ

Smash Cadet
2 slow for me.
The brawl version is still the sexiest i heard... or the Oc remix version then theres this 1 by nemisis theory.
Silver Moon
Ive deleted it tho. U guys never noticed it was a golden sun remix?

Turazrok

Smash Master
I didn't hear it.

I love golden sun.

Beat all three and am currently finishing 100% runs on the lost age and dark dawn

BlueBomberXTJ

Smash Cadet
I started the first 1 but never finished it.
I played many rpgs you could name 1 and i bet i played it.
Golden sun is 1 i never even got close to beating... because of computer problems.

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
I'm definitely gonna be at the Chinese Inn on Saturday. Shoopin' de boobop.

What time does it start again? I'm lazy.

Edit: Judge Judy liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiives!!!!

Double Edit: Seriously, you two, it took me a little over a minute to post this and by the time I was done between 2-3 new posts had been done. Slow down or PM it plz, kthx. <3

Triple Edit: Has anyone ever thought about robbing the cash cab? Think about it, in one episode he has given out like $3,000+ in cash... How much mutha-****in' cash does that dude have in there at one time? I bet it's more than that...

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
LOL Did everyone going to Oh Snap change their minds to go to CI? iceman bro, you should show up, we're having Brawl and Melee. And it seems like a better turnout than usual.

eet

Smash Ace
One time I was smoking in this tattoo parlor on Government st, I don't remember why, and this weird emo chick was getting her nipple piereced. Anyway, we were both waiting in the little room with a tv and she told me the cash cab cash was fake and they just mail you a check. The things ya learn..

Top Bottom