• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Louisiana Thread: Flarefox Forever - We are alive.

Savon

Smash Ace
Lol, Savon got that Diddy Kong.

Yes....use the phrase...

Add it to your vocabulary. The Diddy Kong revolution has begun.....

The funny part is that the Diddy Kong joke has nothing to do with smash and has no roots to smash.

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
Zelda really doesn't appeal to me either, but even so, it's not like we're saying it's a bad game. We still recognize its greatness.

Savon

Smash Ace
Exactly NiTEZ.

Also I am a huge fan of your avatar picture. Glad to see we have lots of Victoria Justice lovers in the LA thread.

I would totally Diddy Kong side-b that.

Sudai

Stuff here
Because someone has to do it.

Christmas is a Christian holiday that was only created to overshadow major holidays in other religions and has no real significance in 'biblical fact'. Blah blah, info info, blah blah, opinion, fact claiming to back up opinion but not really, random unrelated thing, blah blah.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744

Christmas is a Christian holiday that was only created to overshadow major holidays in other religions and has no real significance in 'biblical fact'. Blah blah, info info, blah blah, opinion, fact claiming to back up opinion but not really, random unrelated thing, blah blah.
I'm surprised that you care enough to know this.

I'm pissed, cause I was woken up by a text, and at my house, santa comes when my parents wake up.

****ing gamestop...

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings

Could you elaborate?

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Im not sure but I think its like this.

where in the bible does it ever mention Jesus birthday?
I'm more concerned with the "created to overshadow other holidays" part. I'm aware of the fact that the Bible doesn't mention a specific day for Jesus' birth, but that shouldn't (and wouldn't) stop the Church from picking a representative day to celebrate. But if Sudai's claims about Christmas being made to overshadow other holidays has any backing then it would be something worth knowing for me.

'V'

Smash Lord
Okay, guys. Seriously, I don't wanna see pages and pages cluttered with religious talk again. Last time it literally took FOREVER to get back on track. Let me give some good advice. Just enjoy the holiday regardless of whether or not you agree with it religiously.

We're all people here. Let's treat each other as such. Happy Holidays, everyone.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I'm more concerned with the "created to overshadow other holidays" part. I'm aware of the fact that the Bible doesn't mention a specific day for Jesus' birth, but that shouldn't (and wouldn't) stop the Church from picking a representative day to celebrate. But if Sudai's claims about Christmas being made to overshadow other holidays has any backing then it would be something worth knowing for me.
Well originally Christmas was just a day of observation during the infancy of Christianity since Christians felt the need to honor the main figure of the religion. With the rapid expansion of Christianity Christmas was vastly changed, most notably with the assimilation of the Roman Empire. The Romans had a celebration every year on the winter solstice which involved gift-giving, feasting, and drunken revelry. Knowing the importance of having the Romans, the Christians back in the day assimilated them by not taking away their favorite holiday, but by intertwining it with Christianity's most important holiday.

There was actually a time where a group of Christians wanted to remove the pagan traditions since they were pretty unnecessary in celebrating Christ but that obviously failed. The whole overshadowing thing Sudai said is a nod to Christmas overshadowing the Roman winter festival. Its hard to assimilate other cultures when you take away their culture so most times the culture itself is assimilated.

Sudai

Stuff here
Yay, Jio saved me a bunch of typing. <3

There's plenty more instances of Christianity assimilating other things into Christmas too, it's mostly just shamanic and pagan things though.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
the church chose December 25th (or somewhere close to it) because there was a pagan (roman maybe?) holiday around this time. they didnt want people celebrating both, so they stacked them so people would have to choose. its true, i learned it in school. it wasnt to overshadow others, just to keep pagans from double-celebrating.

im pretty sure thats it.

Okay, guys. Seriously, I don't wanna see pages and pages cluttered with religious talk again. Last time it literally took FOREVER to get back on track. Let me give some good advice. Just enjoy the holiday regardless of whether or not you agree with it religiously.

We're all people here. Let's treat each other as such. Happy Holidays, everyone.
k

Someone teach me sc2
you got it?

Sudai

Stuff here
BSL, you should know that what you learn in school isn't the whole truth. There's always more for the curious mind to find. It wasn't just done with pagan rituals and it wasn't just done when they assimilated the Roman culture. It happen with nearly every group the assimilated..which was a -lot-.

PS: Sorry Vaughn, but this is a social. It's "right track" is wherever the majority decides to take it. ;]

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
i may be misremembering what they told us. or maybe they told us the actual thing, then tossed in the double-celebration as a bonus fact. whatevs.

IShouldBeStudying

Smash Apprentice
... Isn't that common knowledge?
Winter solstice?

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
the church chose December 25th (or somewhere close to it) because there was a pagan (roman maybe?) holiday around this time. they didnt want people celebrating both, so they stacked them so people would have to choose. its true, i learned it in school. it wasnt to overshadow others, just to keep pagans from double-celebrating.

im pretty sure thats it.
Not to make them choose, to make them choose Christianity was the important part. If they had the Roman festival and Christmas on the same day and asked the Romans if they wanted to pray and worship Christ all day or get drunk, eat, and exchange presents all day, what do you think they would do? So by combining both of them it makes it easier to control the people and they're still happy because they don't lose their culture.

... Isn't that common knowledge?
Winter solstice?
Winter Solstice = The day in December when its daytime for 12 hours and nighttime for 12 hours and the official start of winter. There's one in the summer too.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Vaughn, there's nothing wrong with a little intellectual conversation every now and then. I promise you that I won't get heated, even if I don't start it.

Hopefully the word "assimilation" isn't being taken in the usual negative connotation that it is associated with. If so then I think that the idea of the "assimilation" of Roman culture is being skewed here. Christianity did not come into Roman society as some forceful brute looking to change everyone's way of thinking. In fact, early Christians had no political or theological influence in Rome. They were second class citizens and often the subject of persecution. The Church did not become powerful in Rome until Romans embraced it, otherwise it would've remained as non-factor in Roman culture. Therefore, I feel that the idea of the "assimilation" of Roman culture is inaccurate because Christianity was not forced on them. Romans willingly accepted Christianity and gave it the power that it had over Rome. Christians could not have "assimilated" Roman culture because Romans adopted Christianity into its culture, not the other way around.

As far as the other "plenty more instances of Christianity assimilating other things into Christmas too" that Sudai mentioned" without any specific instances which I can research, I can't make any response to that. However, at the same time it does not provide a strong reason for one to believe that any assimilation went on (excluding bias and prejudice against the Church).

Of course, this is all what I learned in school.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Vaughn, there's nothing wrong with a little intellectual conversation every now and then. I promise you that I won't get heated, even if I don't start it.

Hopefully the word "assimilation" isn't being taken in the usual negative connotation that it is associated with. If so then I think that the idea of the "assimilation" of Roman culture is being skewed here. Christianity did not come into Roman society as some forceful brute looking to change everyone's way of thinking. In fact, early Christians had no political or theological influence in Rome. They were second class citizens and often the subject of persecution. The Church did not become powerful in Rome until Romans embraced it, otherwise it would've remained as non-factor in Roman culture. Therefore, I feel that the idea of the "assimilation" of Roman culture is inaccurate because Christianity was not forced on them. Romans willingly accepted Christianity and gave it the power that it had over Rome. Christians could not have "assimilated" Roman culture because Romans adopted Christianity into its culture, not the other way around.

As far as the other "plenty more instances of Christianity assimilating other things into Christmas too" that Sudai mentioned" without any specific instances which I can research, I can't make any response to that. However, at the same time it does not provide a strong reason for one to believe that any assimilation went on (excluding bias and prejudice against the Church).
No negative connotation for assimilation. Just that no one really wanted to go to war with the Romans so the attempt was made to persuade them using religion as a tool. You're right about the Christians not forcing it onto the Romans (mostly because in its infancy they didn't have the power) but they wanted to spread Christianity. So you had the Romans who had their own religion and didn't seem likely to change it (though it is written that the Romans had statues in the likeness of Jesus well before Christians actually made an attempt to convert them) so they took a less aggressive approach just to show what Christianity had to offer.

Knowing that the Winter festival was so important to them, they showed off Christmas as to encompass all of the fun of the winter festival with a few other things.

At my parent's crib and I just at 2 Domino's baked sandwiches since dinner won't be ready for a while. Might I say....amazing?

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896

/thread!

Should've started and ended it. XD

Well originally Christmas was just a day of observation during the infancy of Christianity since
Christians felt the need to honor the main figure of the religion. With the rapid expansion of Christianity Christmas was vastly changed, most notably with the assimilation of the Roman Empire. The Romans had a celebration every year on the winter solstice which involved gift-giving, feasting, and drunken revelry. Knowing the importance of having the Romans, the Christians back in the day assimilated them by not taking away their favorite holiday, but by intertwining it with Christianity's most important holiday.

There was actually a time where a group of Christians wanted to remove the pagan traditions since they were pretty unnecessary in celebrating Christ but that obviously failed. The whole overshadowing thing Sudai said is a nod to Christmas overshadowing the Roman winter festival. Its hard to assimilate other cultures when you take away their culture so most times the culture itself is assimilated.
Interesting stuff there. :o

ChKn

Smash Ace
Gonna beat Golden Sun DS in the next week. =D Gotta get my guys to Lvl 45 before the Chaos Chimera.

'V'

Smash Lord
Just as long as it doesn't contain numerous flames towards each other. I really don't wanna go through these anymore. The conversations do tend to get out of hand.

Carry on.

D

Deleted member

eric the reason they gave you gift cards is because they dont want you to buy drugs.
that being said, ill give you 40$ for it.

Top Bottom