• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lonely Island Mafia- Town Wins!

Yaya

Smash Champion
Hmm.

I've been viewing the thread, but I haven't had anything to contribute so far, this is me being all Lolwut on Day 1, I'll try and help, but right now I am confused.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Well, I'll try to get some thoughts together tomorrow... A lot has happened in the past two days which really haven't been good ones(yeah, I know, rl johns), but I'll be back to having time to think about this after I'm done with work tomorrow.
It is now officially tommorow. Hurry up and show me ur mo-thoughts >.> Don't be scared of my awesome aura. :) it wont bite. hard.
So dar we have accomplished very little today we need to go and scumhunt.
Hmm.

I've been viewing the thread, but I haven't had anything to contribute so far, this is me being all Lolwut on Day 1, I'll try and help, but right now I am confused.

UNHELPFUL

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
**** you Ronike.

Look back at the **** I quoted and tell me again that I was counteracting ANY sort of discussion AT ALL. They didnt say ****, and I wanted to let them know I recognized that they were basically just checking in and saying absolutely nothing. I've done a LOT to get discussion going today, and half of the cast isn't following suit. So don't talk to me about being counterproductive to discussion and then saying BRB REAL LIFE just like EVERYONE ELSE.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Look, I realize that most of us aren't really contributing much right now, but what do you expect with finals imminent? At any rate, I realize they aren't contributing to discussion, but neither is a giant red x and the word unhelpful. At least pulling johns out can later be called out for inactivity, doing what you are doing is impossible to call out like that because you'll just say its a joke/impersonation, and thats why I have a problem with the baby jesus thing. Well besides that its annoying. It just gives you a free pass to essentially lurk. But fine, if thats what this mafia game is going to devolve to, and that will be accepted as a contributing post, I guess I won't be inactive anymore.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
It just gives you a free pass to essentially lurk. But fine, if thats what this mafia game is going to devolve to, and that will be accepted as a contributing post, I guess I won't be inactive anymore.
If you think I'm lurking, then you aren't reading the same thread I am.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Reiterating that he counteracted my attempt to raise discussion with the same picture...

That being said, I'd agree that none of the posts Tom quoted were you know, helpful. Didn't mind it so much this time around.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Reiterating that he counteracted my attempt to raise discussion with the same picture...

That being said, I'd agree that none of the posts Tom quoted were you know, helpful. Didn't mind it so much this time around.
I responded to every single one of those points.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
After the unhelpful thing diverted the thread, though. The points were forgotten by all but you and I when all was said and done. I wasn't only looking to raise discussion with the person I was scrutinizing, after all.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Finals suck. Well, they sucked. As in the past tense.

I'm done with school now. Just got home today and tired as hell. I owe you guys some opinions. Expect something substantial tomorrow. I hate to see inactivity breeding all this rage.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
After the unhelpful thing diverted the thread, though. The points were forgotten by all but you and I when all was said and done. I wasn't only looking to raise discussion with the person I was scrutinizing, after all.
BabyJesus jokes didn't divert the thread. If I responded to those immediately, everyone else would still be just as inactive (see: their excuses) and would have responded with a "I'm curious about Tom" or "I'm interested to see where this is going but have no ideas where to take it" or "Tom piques my interest" but otherwise would have been just as unhelpful as they are now. And hey, I'm the one making the most discussion and hey, I'm the one with the most votes!

vote: Pythag

Jumped on the Tom bandwagon without any legitimate reason, just like macman did, but Pythag also has yet to unvote and also said "ill show you unhelpful, babyjesus not funny" meaning he knew what I was doing and he still voted me.

Smash Master
Stop making posts just to john about other people's johns. It's even less conducive to the (very anemic) discussion that the actual IRL johns.

Someone tried to spark discussion with the idea of a nameclaim, but that seemed mildly unpopular due to the ramifications of potentially revealing a PR.

Random lynch and roleclaim have been given their due diligence (which isn't much.)

Since there are only 119 non-joke posts, we can't dissect much, IMO. I think we need to ask more relevant questions to generate more posts from everybody.

So, I've never been in a 15 person game. What's the typical town:scum:indi ratio? With a moderatlely large number of people, a single SK seems unbalanced. What can be done to enhance the indi chance of winning, without making him/her/them overpowered?

I don't know what to think about Tom. Either way, I'm not going to vote for him today. His activity is making the game fun.

I would also like to hear Pythag's take on his vote for Tom. Lynch vote or joke vote? If it's the latter, why did you make it, given how close you put Tom to a lynch. If it's the former, why are you trying to end D1 so far before the deadline?

Handorin

Smash Hero
D1 Votes:
Tom- Ronike, frozenflame, Pythag (3)
KK- Yaya (1)
NL- #s (1)
Pythag- Marshy, Tom (2)
KevinM- Tom, A6M0 (2)
Niiro- KevinM (1)

Just a reminder that with 15 alive, it will take 8 to lynch. A NL will occur if a majority is not reached.

so far before the deadline?
There are less than 3 days left till deadline.

Smash Master
Man, the mod's quoting me. That's pretty harsh.

When Pythag placed his vote there were less than 5 days before deadline.

Niiro

Smash Ace
lol, couldn't hurt.
I don't think its a bad idea... In this game I couldn't see it being very damaging, so I'm for it.
i think it could help us pinpoint suspicious people, but on the other side of that coin, it might not help at all. there are some ridiculous the lonely island people that i bet are just plain vanilla.
lets do it. It cant hurt much
anyways i don't care if we do it or not.
Not for it.
Anyway, not FOR YES YES YES a nameclaim, but not horribly against it. I'll go with the flow on this one.
For real, I actually dont want it to happen.
I really don't care if we name claim. If people feel strongly about it I'd be down but I don't really feel that it's necessary or will have any significant pro-town impact on the game atm.
Yeah, whatever you want, I'll go with it, It can't help, it can't hurt.
I don't know anything about the lonely island, so I don't have an opinion on the nameclaim, since I don't know whether or not it would likely reveal more scum or more town PRs.
Next (I've lost count and I'm too lazy to scroll up), the mass name claim. I'm fairly against it.
Okay so people for the nameclaim: (3)
Me, mentos, tom? (not too sure bout you lol)
People against (3)
KevinM,Pythag, Ronike
People who don’t give a ****: (6)
KK, MacMan, EE, FF, Yaya, Numbers
comeon other people.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Okay so people for the nameclaim: (3)
Me, mentos, tom? (not too sure bout you lol)
People against (3)
KevinM,Pythag, Ronike
People who don’t give a ****: (6)
KK, MacMan, EE, FF, Yaya, Numbers
comeon other people.
As people mention, they're a bit mixed on it cause it may reveal PRs, which we want to keep discreet on the town side. >>

I'm also curious to hear what Pythang has to say about it. I don't think it was a joke vote, considering that the 'lul joke vote' topic has been moved to some more serious discussion.

Also everyone, understand that Finals and major tests are right around the corner, so it's understandable for people to be inactive. As long as they give in at least ONE day's worth of contribute, I fail to see a problem.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
My vote stands.
It's also bull**** to turn my vote on you into an entire OMGUS argument. Because that is ALL you have, especially on D1.
You were the first to suggest a nameclaim, which will really give the mafia an advantage in this the theme. Since any mafia could potentially be any person from lonely island, there's no way a name cliam would help.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
It'd be nice to here why you ARE voting for Tom, though, Pythag. Is it really just nameclaim + "he's being kind of deflective"? I expect more logic out of you, and I suspect there is more to it if you aren't scum.

Smash Master
Why not FoS first, given how far away the deadline was and how he already had four or five votes?

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because FoS doesn't really mean jack, again, especially on day 1.
EE you could say that. I don't really like how defensive he got either, and then immediately continued the BJ joke. That may be me being pissed at him as a person more than a scum tell, but I feel between his defensiveness, the name claim, and his push to get the discussion off of him, is good enough to warrant a d1 lynch. IMO

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
There is nothing wrong with the BJ joke.

I feel between his defensiveness, the name claim, and his push to get the discussion off of him, is good enough to warrant a d1 lynch. IMO
Expecting responses from red sentences.

~Defensiveness: 2 people jokevote me, EE votes me with some discussion... Macman votes me without stating any reason, Pythag votes me without any logic or discussion... I'm at 5 votes, nobody else is above 2. I'm certainly allowed to be defensive. Can you remind me when being defensive became scummy?

~The name claim: Two points: 1.) How would a name claim give mafia an advantage at all? You said that mafia could potentially be any character from The Lonely Island - this is true, that doesn't make a nameclaim anti-town. Think about it. If the mafia could be anyone, then the town power-roles could be anyone as well. All it would do is give everyone more information, and since information really is the advantage that mafia have over town, then it would be pushing things to town favor, especially if the town power roles and mafia both are random ridiculous people. The Boss could easily be a townie with a post-restriction, a mafia godfather, a town governor, or a Giant-Fish lyncher. So what advantage does it give mafia that it doesn't also give town?

~Push to get discussion off of me: I have been pushing to get discussion going, period.

To warrant a D1 lynch? As opposed to... D3 or D4? You're admitting that on D1 you have much less to go off of so that you're simply satisfied with lynching me for no good reason?

I fail to see anything that I've done wrong, and can see a lot of things that I've done to try to help this day get along. Bring up discussion points, get everyone talking, joke around but still answer questions.

My vote on you is not straight up OMGUS like you said it was, and if you read what I posted then you would have seen that. I specifically noted that both you and Macman voted me without explanation, but I found yours to be suspicious because you put me at L-3 after Macman voted me and you also acknowledged the BabyJesus just but NOTHING else.

Quite frankly, this is bull**** because the deadline is in two/three days and nobody is here talking but 4-5 people in a 15 person game.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I have my vote on Niiro, frankly he continues to act scummy didn't address my points of asking him what he thinks of the game and when I told him to get active all he's done since then is make one single post about how he's cool again.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
totally understandable.

If some of you haven't recognized this yet: I'm not pushing for the name-claim. I haven't pushed for anything but discussion. I mentioned the name claim and said why it might be good, but that can hardly be considered pushing for something to happen; i was just pushing for some talking to happen.

Ronike

Smash Ace
I really shouldn't be doing this... I really should be studying... GOD**** YOU SMASHBOARDS AND YOUR DISTRACTIONS!!!

Well at any rate, though I realize the last post wasnt directed at me, I do feel I ought to make some points:

First off, just because mafia could be anyone doesn't mean power roles could be anything. In given the choice between killing Debra from Like a Boss or Andy Samberg from... well anything TLI really, I think the mafia will probably opt for the latter, and they will have a much better chance of hitting power role. On the other hand, given that no one can actually think of a scumish TLI role, we don't gain any extra info on who to lynch! Thats why I'm against it.

Oh, and the BJ joke is not harmless. It may be harmless if used on inactives, like last time, but by using it like you did against EE, its far then harmless. And just think, what if KK decides he likes BJ jokes and when he comes on, thats what he posts?

And another thing...Hando, what happens in case we reach the deadline? Auto no lynch, or the one with the most goes? It doesnt say in the rules...

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
if its not harmless, then what harm did it cause?

also, he said auto no lynch in a post a while ago.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Oh, wow, I still have my vote on you Tom? Whoops...

unvote: tom Vote: Pythag

I don't get why he continues to go after you for BJ joke. I mean, I don't like it because I can see our mafia games spiraling downward because of it, but I don't think its scummish. And Toms right, being defensive isn't scummish, not when you have 5 votes, some of which are real and completely unbased.

Ronike

Smash Ace
Oh, ok. And, like I said in my post, it can be fairly harmless when someone smart uses it, but what if KK gets his hands on it? Plus, you used it to practically nullify EE's arguments, so theres a bit of harm.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
There is nothing wrong with the BJ joke.
And I say there is! In a game where you yourself are pushing for discussion, why on earth would you keep this going. PLUS if I say there is something wrong with it, I have provided the exact same amount of proof to the argument as you have. There's no right or wrong here, just opinions.

~The name claim: Two points: 1.) How would a name claim give mafia an advantage at all? You said that mafia could potentially be any character from The Lonely Island - this is true, that doesn't make a nameclaim anti-town. Think about it. If the mafia could be anyone, then the town power-roles could be anyone as well. All it would do is give everyone more information, and since information really is the advantage that mafia have over town, then it would be pushing things to town favor, especially if the town power roles and mafia both are random ridiculous people. The Boss could easily be a townie with a post-restriction, a mafia godfather, a town governor, or a Giant-Fish lyncher. So what advantage does it give mafia that it doesn't also give town?
Right so if we have the entire town name claim, first of all it's amazingly easy to fake, because there are many characters. Plus, it would all just evolve into a cluster **** of everyone claiming to be cop, doctor whatever. How is that helpful?
To warrant a D1 lynch? As opposed to... D3 or D4? You're admitting that on D1 you have much less to go off of so that you're simply satisfied with lynching me for no good reason?
I've stated why my vote is on you. if we both agree that this is a D1 lynch, then how is your vote on my any more valid? D1 lynchs I always view as a "take what you can get".
If you would prefer, I can change my reasoning to "It's RL, DEAL." And give you absolutely nothing to talk about.

Quite frankly, this is bull**** because the deadline is in two/three days and nobody is here talking but 4-5 people in a 15 person game.
I agree.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Apparently Pythag was dealt the role of Spam_Master's gut.
True dat, double truu.

D1 Votes:
Tom- frozenflame, Pythag (2)
KK- Yaya (1)
Pythag- Marshy, Tom, Ronike (3)
KevinM- Tom, A6M0 (2)
Niiro- KevinM (1)
NL- #s (1)

The deadline is tommorow (May 9th) at 11:59 PM. In the case of no majority, a NL will happen.

Also, do not expect an immediate update, flavor, etc. I will be in attendance of a triweekly tournament and probably won't do it until Sunday. I will try though to do it close to the deadline though.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright, after sifting through all of this I've broken down what we have so far into a few major issues.

Issue #1: Tom calling out the "fake posting restriction"

Issue #2: BabyJesus ****storm

Issue #3: Empty/non-existent reaosning for mid tier voting

Issue #4: The name claim

I'll go through each of them and let you know what I've gathered from them and my opinions on ea ch subject.

1.) Tom called marshy out on allegedly faking a posting restriction, citing his reasoning as preventative action with the intent of preventing a repeat of some past posting restriction facade that he had once pulled off. Though I don't necessarily see such action as significantly scummy, Tom's choice does lean toward the anti-town side barring his metagaming reasoning. The reason being, is if Marshy WAS in fact faking a posting restriction, he may have messed up and forgot about at some point in the future. If that were to happen and no punishment occurred, that would be a dead giveaway that Marshy was lying, and of course, Lynch all liars applies. By having your suspicion that he's lying, but not publicly announcing it you allow Marshy continue faking the restriction with NO excuse to stop it if he was indeed faking. If people are going to lie, let them. Anyone who does is playing in a very non-town fashion and thus, you should allow people to lie and eventually get caught. Essentially what you did Tom was gave Marshy an excuse to quit while he was ahead and save face, when the same couldn't be done later in the game.

2.) I almost regret bringing BJ up in the strategy discussion thread, considering all the crap imitating him started lol. Basically what I gathered from the arguments surrounding him were just angry reactions to a very unorthodox style of play, regardless of the fact that it was implemented jokingly. I gathered that most of the reactions were personal, and not necessarily reactions that should be read as being influenced by any given player's mafia role. I'd take any analysis of a player surrounding the BJ incident with a grain of salt because I don't feel it had substance enough to warrant discussion that would bring out player motives.

3.) Tom essentially mentioned how scummy it was for Macman and Pythag to vote for you with either nonexistent in Macman's case or very shoddy reasoning in Pythag's case. I'd call particular attention to Macman who seemed to have blindly tossed a vote on tom, perhaps after coming to a conclusion that a bandwagon was about to start and wanted to get on early? He literally just tried to sneak his vote in with a post consisting of no more than a simple "Vote: Tom". He is then very quick to unvote when Tom retorts in the lightest manner. Seems like characteristic jumpy scum behavior to me.

4.) As far as the name claim goes, I was never really in proposition or opposition of this course of action. I've decided now that I'd actually be in favor of a name claim, considering how stale the game has gotten. This may be what we need to revitalize discussion. However, if a nameclaim is the course of action we'd like to take, it would be a better idea to wait until Day 2, considering how close the deadline is and how unrealistic it is to expected everyone to claim in time, and if not everyone claims, there is little to no benefit for the town.

Tom did raise the interesting debate of whether or not a nameclaim would be pro-town or pro-mafia in the context of this game. I'd actually be inclined to agree with Ronike and say that in this case, mass nameclaim would probably favor the mafia slightly for the very same reaosn Ronike cited: we'd be revealing who the likely power roles are for the mafia.

Tom, you make the argument that in mafia, the town are at the informational "disadvantage" and then postulate that following that logic, it makes sense that any effort to increase the town's knowledge is inherently pro-town. Though this makes logical sense, in falters when one considers the IMPACTS of such an increase in knowledge. For a townie, a nameclaim has the slim but existent chance of revealing a mafia either by forcing a mafiat to claim a role possessed by a townie, or a claim error. Furthermore, a nameclaim can help town power roles establish who would be the best candidates for their night abilities. Though these potential benefits are indeed significant, they simply do not outweigh the impact that bestowing such information upon the mafia would have. Name claiming essentially bestows the mafia with the information they need to make the most informed nightkill choices. They can abuse flavor and kill certain characters to frame others. They can judge who are likely power roles, who is likely to be protected, and who would be best to debilitate, recruit, or affect with whatever other abilities they might have. The point is, in the context of this game, where propensity of a name claim to force false claims or reveal "likely mafia" roles is very low, mass name claim leans in the mafia's favor ever so slightly.

You might be thinking, "FF, if you think mass nameclaim is pro-mafia then why do you support it?" The answer is, it may be a move that is necessary to cure this game's stagnation. Constructive discussion is the lifeblood of town victory, and sacrifices are needed sometimes to sustain it.

The deadline has unfortunately limited our options significantly. I'd like to hear opinions on macman especially, for he is my prime suspect atm. I doubt we'll have enough to to reach a majority on anyone in the next 24 hours with our current activity level, nor will we be able to do a name claim. Let's just try to talk about as much as we can before our time is up and just settle for the No Lynch.

Unvote: Tom

Vote: Macman

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
FF, I honestly don't see why you single me out between Pythag and I.

This was during a period of time where my votes have yet to start being serious, I voted tom because he was annoying me. I am not the kind of player who lets go of a serious vote so quickly simply because my vote was challenged. I didn't know how many votes Tom had on him or how close he was to being lynched. When I became aware of this, of course I unvoted.

And I'm not an idiot. Why would I think that Tom would let himself get lynched so easily.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, I've finally got some time to make a post about my thoughts a bit. Now, admittedly not much has been accomplished today, in large part due to everyone's finals etc coming up and people being unable to be as active recently. Like others have said, Macman and Pythag's votes on Tom were suspect. No or weak reasoning to support them. From what I've seen though, Pythag is the far more suspicious of the two. He openly admits that he is voting pretty much as a random lynch because day 1 doesn't have as much info. Putting someone who is a pretty big asset to town when they are a townie that close to a lynch on d1 as a random lynch seems iffy to me.

Macman, on the other side, is suspicious as well. It was clearly past the joke voting stage, and I agree with FF that it was a point when a bandwagon could have easily been starting. I find his reasoning for why he would make a vote with no description, then hop off as soon as he's called out pretty weak as a whole.

Really, these are the two I'm most suspicious of, moreso Pythag than Macman at the moment. I'm not going to place a vote just yet(I almost think at this point the deadline-caused no lynch isn't the worst idea simply due to the inactivity), but that's all catching my eye right now, so if we decide to lynch I think our best bet is one of those two.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
FF, I honestly don't see why you single me out between Pythag and I.

This was during a period of time where my votes have yet to start being serious, I voted tom because he was annoying me. I am not the kind of player who lets go of a serious vote so quickly simply because my vote was challenged. I didn't know how many votes Tom had on him or how close he was to being lynched. When I became aware of this, of course I unvoted.

And I'm not an idiot. Why would I think that Tom would let himself get lynched so easily.
Why do I single you out?

Because you say "I'm not an idiot" but then you voted with no reasoning other than "he was annoying me", without checking the vote count, and then immediately unvote when someone says something about it.

I'm not saying you're an idiot. You ARE smarter than that. THAT is why you doing that stuff is so suspicious. It looks less like a rookie townie mistake and more like a scum slip up, BECAUSE I don't think you're a moron.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Kay, sorry for neglecting to answer to KevinM. I had to go though to see what is awsome about him :p

Anyway, I'm not really breadcrumbing my role. Just merely just ****ing around from time to time. Sorry to set off the alarm or something.

Now, back to current discussion. I'm also in agreement as to what's been said about Pythang and Macman, especially Pythang. Considering he's just going out of annoyance on Tom and not on simple logic. Most uncool in my book:(

Top Bottom