• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

StormC

Smash Hero
And all polls seem to be made on reddit and gameFAQS... see the trend here? I never saw the name paper mario once outside of the sites known for extreme bias when I browsed for all the info I could find during the smash 4 era. Besides who would Sakurai pick? A unique character with their own identity and a fun playstyle? Or flat mario who wouldn’t even use the partners gimmick if he got in?
How do you define "extreme bias?" Dixie wasn't even that popular on SmashBoards until after K. Rool was announced.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
There’s a lot of fan bases that remain extremely quiet, which is why I believe that the smash fighter ballot is the most realistic ballot, being made by Nintendo and therefore having the least skewed results possible. That’s why I believe Dixie Kong is doing way better than paper mario in terms of chances. If there’s even a slot left for mario (probably not) it would go to Geno. Dixie Kong, especially after the reveal of Dark Samus, has no reason not to be playable. You can’t argue that she was at least more popular than a samus that is dead, who got in anyway.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's definitely room for echos. And yeah the question is who besides Geno is going to get in. Really curious what's going to happen because it's going to dispell a lot stuff, and show Nintendo's cards. (whether they're based on votes or not)

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
There’s a lot of fan bases that remain extremely quiet, which is why I believe that the smash fighter ballot is the most realistic ballot, being made by Nintendo and therefore having the least skewed results possible. That’s why I believe Dixie Kong is doing way better than paper mario in terms of chances. If there’s even a slot left for mario (probably not) it would go to Geno. Dixie Kong, especially after the reveal of Dark Samus, has no reason not to be playable. You can’t argue that she was at least more popular than a samus that is dead, who got in anyway.
Dixie is definitely atleast getting in as an Echo if D Samus made the cut.

I'm not sure if Geno has a higher chance than PM. I know that relevancy is at an all time low in terms of importance for a roster slot, but PM has relative popularity to Geno on top of being the star of an ongoing series.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Dixie is definitely atleast getting in as an Echo if D Samus made the cut.

I'm not sure if Geno has a higher chance than PM. I know that relevancy is at an all time low in terms of importance for a roster slot, but PM has relative popularity to Geno on top of being the star of an ongoing series.
That series died as soon as sticker star started development and you know it. The game just wasn’t good enough for the fans, and did a fun series in the past a genuine disservice. Not to mention the absence of everyone’s favorite part of these games: a non-linear path + all those partners with actually memorable status. What were the most recent follower thingies anyway, a small crown and a paint bucket? Wow, real creative Nintendo. Yeah, no thanks I’d rather stick to goombas with hats and Mario’s equivalent to Navi.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
The thing about these polls is that people don't vote for who they like, just who they think has the best chance of getting in.
Explain the high votes for Shovel Knight and Waluigi then? Even though it's sad to say it seems like there where a few fans who where on the bandwagon for Ashley they stopped supporting her when she was shown as an assist trophy. Even though Skull Kid has always been popular I feel like a feel people joined the bandwagon after seeing the chairs theory.

The new leak that popped up today had a couple of the renders really reminded me of the artstyle of that Fake Ashley leak from EVO.

Shame things turned out the way they did.
Nobody knows who the girl even is so it's a great troll on the leakers part and Ashley will get her chance someday.

Tasokun

Smash Cadet
I've realized that poll isn't going to be too accurate because you can actually vote multiple times.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
That series died as soon as sticker star started development and you know it. The game just wasn’t good enough for the fans, and did a fun series in the past a genuine disservice. Not to mention the absence of everyone’s favorite part of these games: a non-linear path + all those partners with actually memorable status. What were the most recent follower thingies anyway, a small crown and a paint bucket? Wow, real creative Nintendo. Yeah, no thanks I’d rather stick to goombas with hats and Mario’s equivalent to Navi.
Nah fam. Sticker star still sold great. Color Splash didn't however so that could be a hurdle for PM moving forward. We both agree that the series went downhill but I don't think Sakurai is gonna look at the PM series now and call it dead. Especially when he went out of his way to make a stage for it in Smash 3ds.

Hat Kid

Smash Cadet
Even though it's sad to say it seems like there where a few fans who where on the bandwagon for Ashley they stopped supporting her when she was shown as an assist trophy.
I agree with this. One of the reason she didn’t score as high on that poll. Even traffic on this forum is down considerably compared to what it used to be. I remember after a shift at work I would check and have a whole page or two to catch up on. Now I don’t check it in a few days and it’ll have a couple of posts...
I wish I could bro but being behind Gengar, Eggman, Marx, and Pheonix Wright is pretty demoralizing.
That really does hurt. :(

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I still want Ashley for Ultimate and it's my hope that she's made DLC, but I do think most people have given up on her chances after her deconfirm.

Hopefully if Sakurai wasn't aware of her popularity before, then he is now, and he'll consider her for DLC or Smash 6.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I haven't really given up hope on Ashley. Looking around the Internet, the general consensus is that Ashley is the choice for a second Wario rep, with her biggest and only hurdle being the fact that she's already been disconfirmed. Of course, there are outliers, such as people who just personally like Mona better, or Wario Land fans who are bitter about being ignored for a decade and want Captain Syrup almost out of spite, but people seem to accept that Ashley is something of an inevitability, even if it's down the road.

As far as this thread goes, it makes sense that less people visit and talk. Post-E3 and Pre-Smash Direct, this thread was mostly a ton of people talking about how inevitable Ashley's odds were. Now that we've been proven wrong (for the time being, at least), there's less to talk about. But, considering the fact that literally the worst-case scenario for our character happened and our thread still continues to exist on the front page most of the time, it's not like we've died off, haha.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I agree with this. One of the reason she didn’t score as high on that poll. Even traffic on this forum is down considerably compared to what it used to be. I remember after a shift at work I would check and have a whole page or two to catch up on. Now I don’t check it in a few days and it’ll have a couple of posts...

That really does hurt. :(
On the bright side, it currently has Ashley at 30th and above Gengar and Eggman. Though it's really close with all of them being at 10%. Yes that's down from 11% but a lot of characters went down from their original percentage. Skull Kid went from 51% to 39% for example.

I haven't really given up hope on Ashley. Looking around the Internet, the general consensus is that Ashley is the choice for a second Wario rep, with her biggest and only hurdle being the fact that she's already been disconfirmed. Of course, there are outliers, such as people who just personally like Mona better, or Wario Land fans who are bitter about being ignored for a decade and want Captain Syrup almost out of spite, but people seem to accept that Ashley is something of an inevitability, even if it's down the road.

As far as this thread goes, it makes sense that less people visit and talk. Post-E3 and Pre-Smash Direct, this thread was mostly a ton of people talking about how inevitable Ashley's odds were. Now that we've been proven wrong (for the time being, at least), there's less to talk about. But, considering the fact that literally the worst-case scenario for our character happened and our thread still continues to exist on the front page most of the time, it's not like we've died off, haha.
The only really big thread that we have for comparison is the Krystal thread and they pretty much went blank after the deconfirm. That's probably the best we got for comparison unless Geno or Shantae end up getting assist trophied too which is pretty unlikely; Either they're in or they're not. Skull Kid could also get shown off in the new demo for the game. And I guess Isaac has potential to be deconfirmed in a direct where they show off more Brawl assist trophies.

Untill then I won't knock the speed of this thread until I see a comparable deconfirmed thread with steadier numbers that this one.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
When we reach the time when DLC announcements are made this thread will probably pick up a bit. If Waluigi breaks the barrier then it will really get moving.

GameFAQS has some supporters too holding out for Ashley: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76945785?page=0
I really hope so Freshly Baked. That thread brings up a good point that Warioware needs to stay alive in order for Ashley to have a chance for the next smash. I want to believe that leak that says a Switch game is on the way. That and the alleged Wario Land VB and Links Awakening Remake can not come soon enough to confirm it. Not saying that'll bring us back to the pre deconfirmation hype, but it'll be the hope we need to carry us into DLC or the next Smash.

If it makes you feel any better, the Waddle Dee thread has pretty comparable reply rates as us. We're even a little faster.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The Geno, Shantae and Isaac threads, I think are the only ones that boomed from the fallout of the 8/8 direct. While we no longer have the most replied support thread, We still do have a strong 2nd place lead over the Geno thread. Isaac people have been posting nonstop. Overall, I think the activity in this thread will still show the support we need at this moment in time. Obviously, it'll have to grow around the time the game releases, but we still are showing she is a wanted character to be in the roster.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Not saying that'll bring us back to the pre deconfirmation hype, but it'll be the hope we need to carry us into DLC or the next Smash.
There won’t be another smash for at least until the switch is dead, if there is at all. I can’t wait 7 years for another hype cycle, especially when this game is now or never for each character on my top 10. It’s either she’s dlc now, or isn’t happening at all.

ToilerMoiler

Smash Apprentice
The Geno, Shantae and Isaac threads, I think are the only ones that boomed from the fallout of the 8/8 direct. While we no longer have the most replied support thread, We still do have a strong 2nd place lead over the Geno thread. Isaac people have been posting nonstop. Overall, I think the activity in this thread will still show the support we need at this moment in time. Obviously, it'll have to grow around the time the game releases, but we still are showing she is a wanted character to be in the roster.
I completely feel ya. The hype here was absolutely insane. Although the Smash Direct left bit of a sour taste, it's still great to see that this thread hasn't completely died off. I was pretty scared about that, especially how welcoming this place was and was the sole reason I made an account. Must never let the support die, our voices shall be heard eventually

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
The new leak that popped up today had a couple of the renders really reminded me of the artstyle of that Fake Ashley leak from EVO.

Shame things turned out the way they did.
OOOF I never knew about that Ashley leak and I'd have gotten double sad cause I'd have had it in the back of my mind. I specifically mentally braced myself when I saw it was another AT lineup, and Sakurai hit me with the "At the very end of the montage without a title card" timeline.

I have some hope for DLC, cause there's just so many characters that people would love to play as in there. 6-7 Upgraded ATs and 1-2 brand new third parties would be really really good overall for a year of DLC.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
6-7 Upgraded ATs and 1-2 brand new third parties would be really really good overall for a year of DLC.
6-7? I guess if that happened, we’d definitely get Ashley. But other than that, maybe Knuckles, Krystal, Waluigi, Lyn, and Shovel Knight (maybe Zero). As for new third parties, Crash and Banjo would be the best options (if not in the base roster)

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
6-7? I guess if that happened, we’d definitely get Ashley. But other than that, maybe Knuckles, Krystal, Waluigi, Lyn, and Shovel Knight (maybe Zero). As for new third parties, Crash and Banjo would be the best options (if not in the base roster)
I'm theorizing that since the original newcomer slots are mainly inhabited by highly requested characters from the past, that the old rules of who gets in will more so apply during DLC.

Since we don't have to bother with cut characters getting added in as DLC like with Sm4sh, and the Switch is at a healthy moment in it's lifetime, there's gonna be a lot of available slots for DLC this time around.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I gotta get back to working on my moveset that I planned. Keep having to restart it due to power outages >_>

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I gotta get back to working on my moveset that I planned. Keep having to restart it due to power outages >_>
Moveset making is so fun with Ashley. I find it difficult to fit all the cool stuff I want her to do with how much potential she has. The only moves I have trouble making unique are her tilts and some of her grabs, but I guess those are usually pretty filler moves.

I'll try to ventually draft up my ideal moveset for her and post it here.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Idk if someone said this already, but I just visited the official Smash Bros website and went into AT section.... And when I saw that the UI got updated, my heart almost dropped with the fear that Ashley might've been added to the list.... Luckily she still isn't quite yet.

I mean, even though she got deconfirmed, her not being on the website at least gives me like a slimmer of hope and relief. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Idk if someone said this already, but I just visited the official Smash Bros website and went into AT section.... And when I saw that the UI got updated, my heart almost dropped with the fear that Ashley might've been added to the list.... Luckily she still isn't quite yet.

I mean, even though she got deconfirmed, her not being on the website at least gives me like a slimmer of hope and relief. I'm sure I'm not alone.
I didn't even know the UI updated. But I feel ya. I'm still annoyed at how Ashley was treated on 8/8. It rubs me the wrong way and does nothing but want me to toss on a tin foil hat.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi

Yeah, I wouldn't think about it too much. I'm pretty confident that Sakurai just wanted an AT page that primarily focuses on new Assists, so the references to returning ATs are limited. Note that other confirmed returning Assists like Samurai Goroh, Takamaru, Ghirahim, Starman, and Color TV Game 15 also seem to be missing.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I'm hoping that the assists don't have more importance as the Rathalos one implies. I could see Sakurai being hesitant to move an assist over to playable in DLC if they're harder to be replaced or taken out, like if they were interactable or a boss in a sort of story mode.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Well tomorrow is the day of the Nindies direct. And a lot of people are speculating that Shantae will get in based on Wayforwards silence on the matter.

View attachment 160110

With that said, I was having some thoughts. With all these new magic fighters potentially getting in (Shanty, Geno, Isaac, Skull Kid) do they have a diminishing effect on Ashley's chances? A popular talking point in Ashley's favor was that there were few mage fighters in the roster so her inclusion would add needed diversity to the roster. If they were all to get in, then this statement will hold a lot less weight which is a shame but we'll just have to live with.

While we're at it, what do you think Shantae's chances are looking like? I'm could see her making it in, but I don't expect anything tomorrow. She definitely did great on the ballot and Wayforward is tight with Nintendo. The only thing holding her back is that the guest characters have a pretty high bar to meet compared to first parties. But with Bayonetta getting in because Platinum was tight with Nintendo despite her not being an icon, Shantae's biggest flaw is bit less serious. As for me wanting her, I guess if I can get past the jealousy, she would be a rather interesting female addition.
Even if all 4 of those 'magic like' characters got in, I don't think it would hurt Ashley's chances at all becuz we have like 15 sword users already lol

And after the Shovelknight reveal, I think the hurdle for indies are gone so I think Shantae or Hat Kid have just as much of a chance as anyone else now.
Half because I want her and half because I don't think any indies are going to be playable. As I said, I think that her (and Reimu) were both the only likely indies to be playable (I'm not exactly counting Travis Touchdown in this equation), but just because they are more likely than the competition doesn't make them likely. As a point of reference, She is my 4th most wanted for this game after Ashley.

Should be quite obvious what exactly I wanted out of this game. lulz.
Vaati! Nice! He's in my top ten too! B-)
It's actually better than what I expected for Ashley. Just like Skull Kid is being massively bandwaggonned, Ashley is also being anti-bandwaggonned. If anything I am glad an inkling of her support survives. Rebuilding it might take time tho :/
Yeah I don't even understand any of it at all to be honest. Too many people seem too fickle; like an obnoxious hive mentality takes over some on the internet i don even knoe ._.
Yeah please Nintendo if you give us Paper Mario give us the TTYD version and not SS or CS! >m<*
Explain the high votes for Shovel Knight and Waluigi then? Even though it's sad to say it seems like there where a few fans who where on the bandwagon for Ashley they stopped supporting her when she was shown as an assist trophy. Even though Skull Kid has always been popular I feel like a feel people joined the bandwagon after seeing the chairs theory.

Nobody knows who the girl even is so it's a great troll on the leakers part and Ashley will get her chance someday.
Hey I actually played the Bravely Default games cuz i love JRPG. So I knew from the beginning the Agnes leak was fake becuz she's only playable in the first BD game. They would only pick a character from that was playable in both like Edea MRGRGR~
There won’t be another smash for at least until the switch is dead, if there is at all. I can’t wait 7 years for another hype cycle, especially when this game is now or never for each character on my top 10. It’s either she’s dlc now, or isn’t happening at all.
OR if in the next 7 years we get more Ashley cameos in games like Mario Kart and then we finally get some kind of platforming/flying game staring Ashley herself! That would definitely improve her chances! None of her haters could call her a 'secondary character' anymore, which she is not: she is a breakout character~
I completely feel ya. The hype here was absolutely insane. Although the Smash Direct left bit of a sour taste, it's still great to see that this thread hasn't completely died off. I was pretty scared about that, especially how welcoming this place was and was the sole reason I made an account. Must never let the support die, our voices shall be heard eventually
Glad it's still kickin' myself. I should post here more often.
I miss Noipoi Noipoi though; they were funny. And Kyon9898 Kyon9898 too. But I know they haven't given up for good!
Moveset making is so fun with Ashley. I find it difficult to fit all the cool stuff I want her to do with how much potential she has. The only moves I have trouble making unique are her tilts and some of her grabs, but I guess those are usually pretty filler moves.

I'll try to ventually draft up my ideal moveset for her and post it here.
That's great! (^_^) I can't wait to see them guys~
Feel free to draw some inspiration from my moveset; it's on page 104! I'm currently tinkering/reworking on it now so it'll have more references to the WW series and what Ashley has done overall~

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I'm hoping that the assists don't have more importance as the Rathalos one implies. I could see Sakurai being hesitant to move an assist over to playable in DLC if they're harder to be replaced or taken out, like if they were interactable or a boss in a sort of story mode.
I mean, I'd have to see for myself how exactly Sakurai utilizes Ashley before I give up supporting her for DLC. That being said, I took the Rathalos reveal as more of an exception to the rule than a set-up to define a new rule, if that makes any sense. They seemed proud of the "a boss AND an Assist Trophy!" deal, so much so that it I'd be legitimately surprised if they ended up bestowing something equally as unique to every other Assist Trophy character.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Found this and thought it was really cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUaGyG2mOxg

Yeah, I wouldn't think about it too much. I'm pretty confident that Sakurai just wanted an AT page that primarily focuses on new Assists, so the references to returning ATs are limited. Note that other confirmed returning Assists like Samurai Goroh, Takamaru, Ghirahim, Starman, and Color TV Game 15 also seem to be missing.
I think the main point is that Ashley is the only one revealed in a direct that isn't on the website, which is a little odd by itself.

Last edited:

xNaz

Smash Cadet
O/T but is it necessary to format your entire post in single non-white text color? It's especially grating with dark colors, as the forum itself has a predominately black theme.

Just something I've noticed a lot of in this thread.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I think the main point is that Ashley is the only one revealed in a direct that isn't on the website, which is a little odd by itself.
I get that, but that still sort of lines up with what I was saying. The main attraction on the AT page are the new ATs (and Gray Fox), while the little tab down below are exclusively returning ATs from the E3 Direct, if I'm not mistaken. It makes sense that Ashley wouldn't show up in either category.

The Ashley reveal in the Direct was certainly suspect, and that's why I have maintained the theory that it was a last-minute decision on Sakurai's part to rip off the bandage.

I am curious, though, as to what you all think the website thing means. I suppose I'm afraid that some people will read too deeply into it, and I don't want to see anyone set themselves up to get burnt a second time.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I am curious, though, as to what you all think the website thing means. I suppose I'm afraid that some people will read too deeply into it, and I don't want to see anyone set themselves up to get burnt a second time.
Nothing. Overall, I just like finding oddities as it is a fact that Ashley was treated far differently than any other Assist Trophy reveal since their Debut in Brawl.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
If Ashley becomes playable, I'm sure she'll have a completely different model than her current AT, a "Smashified" one if you will. So I think they'll just leave her AT in the game as is. No need to tinker with taking it out of the game or line-up when you choose to play as her or Download her DLC if that's the case. We already have multiple versions of other characters from different universes, so I think it will work like that. Besides, I'd like to see two of Ashley in the game- her haters would become so angry lul~ XD
I mean, I'd have to see for myself how exactly Sakurai utilizes Ashley before I give up supporting her for DLC. That being said, I took the Rathalos reveal as more of an exception to the rule than a set-up to define a new rule, if that makes any sense. They seemed proud of the "a boss AND an Assist Trophy!" deal, so much so that it I'd be legitimately surprised if they ended up bestowing something equally as unique to every other Assist Trophy character.
I think that just supports my claim. Sakurai will prolly be proud he's got 2 Ashlies in the game with different purposes just like he's got two Pits and other stuffs~
Found this and thought it was really cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUaGyG2mOxg

tinfoil hat theories aside, I've begun to look at Ashley's last minute inclusion in the August direct as a sort of a victory. Nintendo has definitely noticed her fanbase by now, so I think that's why she showed up the way she did and why she's not up on the site. Meaning they may not have originally planned to showcase her at all, which is why she doesn't haven't a slot programmed on the official site. But with her ever rising popularity, they felt forced to show her earlier than planned, as to avoid another potential fan backlash later on. So maybe, just maybe, they are already looking into moveset ideas and models and etc. for her DLC release! Like they could be working on that right now for characters like her and Waluigi! (*o*)

oh and yes i remember that video! There's lots of cute Ashley MAD's and music videos on youtube I've seen; I'm sure I missed some tho
So do you prefer her Japanese voice over her English voice when it comes to the Smash version of her songs?

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
O/T but is it necessary to format your entire post in single non-white text color? It's especially grating with dark colors, as the forum itself has a predominately black theme.

It's purely for style reasons for me. I suppose I could change mine to a lighter color so it could pop more against the black

I get that, but that still sort of lines up with what I was saying. The main attraction on the AT page are the new ATs (and Gray Fox), while the little tab down below are exclusively returning ATs from the E3 Direct, if I'm not mistaken. It makes sense that Ashley wouldn't show up in either category.

The Ashley reveal in the Direct was certainly suspect, and that's why I have maintained the theory that it was a last-minute decision on Sakurai's part to rip off the bandage.

I'm pretty sure it means nothing and some of the most diehard Ashley supporters I've seen have said about the same.

Speaking of which, I met that person who made that threat to Sakurai after Ashley was deconfirmed. Real nice person once you get to know them. Pretty young too which kinda gives less weight to their outburst.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

Preferences > Hide Custom Post Color

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Glad it's still kickin' myself. I should post here more often.
I miss Noipoi Noipoi though; they were funny. And Kyon9898 Kyon9898 too. But I know they haven't given up for good!

That's great! (^_^) I can't wait to see them guys~
Feel free to draw some inspiration from my moveset; it's on page 104! I'm currently tinkering/reworking on it now so it'll have more references to the WW series and what Ashley has done overall~
Oh Kyon is still pretty active on the Ashley discord. It's grown a lot since her deconfirmation surprisingly enough and I have to thank him for it. If it weren't for him, a lot of her major supporters would probably have gone their seperate ways from each other.

Top Bottom