• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Wish I could have posted here sooner, but I've had literally the busiest day of work this year. Talk about timing.

Yeah, it's pretty darn sad to see how it ended for Ashley, but it isn't necessarily surprising. She's been an AT before, and based on how much has been carried over from Smash 4, seeing her in the same role again shouldn't come as a shock. I had a sense of dread that the writing was on the wall when the Simon Leak happened, as I didn't think Ashley would survive another AT onslaught. I thought about posting as such last night, but decided it was best not to spread negativity. I was unfortunately correct.

That said, this was the best time for her to be disconfirmed if she wasn't going to make it in. Put it off any longer and the disappointment would have been that much greater, and had she been unveiled at E3, her support would never have grown to what it is today. I have seen so many people who didn't really know who Ashley even was come to love and support the character over the last couple of months. Beforehand, this thread was like 2 or 3 pages long. I thought Ashely had the latency of a popular choice, even if people weren't vocal, and I was pretty well certain of that when she took down Elma (who was at the peak of her popularity at the time) on my newcomer bracket challenge. Since E3, we've seen Ashley's support turn from fairly niche to one of the most wanted and discussed characters not playable, and the reveal of other newcomers today only pushes her further up the ranks.

The notion that ATs can't get in through DLC is one of those fanmade rules just asking to be broken. There's just so many other popular choices that are stuck in the same place that I don't think we can be ignored outright. It's all guesswork at this point, but I expect DLC more extensive than Smash 4 since the game isn't coming out on a dying console. Yes, let's mourn for now (without getting toxic about it and spoiling the image of our fanbase... Ashley would call that "pathetic"). But, we should also bide our time until DLC because, as Chrom himself would say, anything can change!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It's a shame that Ashley couldn't make it in this time; but count me in as support anyways! I think with how unpredictable smash is, we can't count her out just cause she's an assist and just cause she's not on the Base Roster. Ashley seems like she'll get big DLC potential if we just keep our mind's open to the possibility of an AT upgrade

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We still have WarioWare Switch rumor to go off on, we'll get more Ashley with that! Who knows, maybe she'll get special treatment again now with Nintendo knowing just how well beloved she is, and consider her for spin-of titles.
Yeah, in hindsight it's possible Ashley hasn't spread her wings, so to speak, enough from Warioware to be fully recognized as her own character by the masses. We all know Nintendo is trying in Japan at least, and so should we. Her own unique minigame is a start, but she still has a long way to go!

Plus, I noticed a good amount of overlap between K. Rool and Ashley supporters. Now that the former is in, they can support Ashley full-time.

Last edited:

Domino11332

Smash Apprentice
This has really soured the whole direct for me, and while i'm happy for fans of Simon and K. Rool, I don't really care about either. At least I still have hope for Joe and Dee...

Last edited:

Hat Kid

Smash Cadet
Maybe it's because i'm prone to radical moods (when i'm happy i'm really happy, when i'm sad i'm really sad.), but i'm having trouble seeing the bright side on this. It sucks too, because I HATE being negative.
That’s exactly me right now too. Yes, I know that Ashley is “one” character that I wanted playable, and there is so much other cool stuff in the game and so much content. This game is going to be amazing. But not having that “one” character I wanted really hurt more than it should.

Last edited:

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Definitely a shame to see what happened with Ashley, right at the end of the AT massacre too... So close. While I was afraid of putting all my eggs in one basket for Ashley because I had a feeling something like this would happen, it still stung a bit to see, and I know it's gotta hurt immensely for the hardcore supporters.

Even still, don't give up hope. If Sakurai sees that enough people want her in despite the AT status, I wouldn't put it past him to do something crazy like breaking her out of her Assist Trophy cage for DLC hype. It's smash; ANYTHING can happen.

Your character only dies when you give up and let them die.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
At least Ashley is still in the game rather than being removed like Isaac

I think that's something we should be thankful for

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I too find it odd that Ashley isn't listed among the other ATs, but we'll see.
In the meantime, I do think there's hope for Ashley as a DLC fighter. Of course, a lot of DLC fighter predictions I have are characters who have been deconfirmed.
Regardless, and the timing isn't great, but put me on this list of doomed supporters

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
We need to start a campaign, like with what K Rool did, to let Nintendo know that we want her to be playable.

We can start a hashtag, make an account for awareness, just to help with our cause.
Our hashtag should be #AshleyforSmashley (that just rings in peoples heads) or #AshleyforDLC
Y'all can bounce back from this, don't worry.

This thread right now is a lot better and mature than what I'd expect normally after a deconfirmation, be proud of that.
Well yeah this is like the 3rd time she's been snubbed from Smash (4 if you count the ballot craze) so I guess we're just used to it by now... :/
Now that there's noise he might reconsider. I don't think AT is a barrier at all for DLC, personally. Pokken did a similar thing with Croagunk.
As EarlTamm EarlTamm mentioned before, that whole 'AT's can't become a character or DLC' is just all purely fanmade rules
That’s exactly me right now too. Yes, I know that Ashley is “one” character that I wanted playable, and there is so much other cool stuff in the game and so much content. This game is going to be amazing. But not having that “one” character I wanted really hurt more than it should.
Know that I'm right there with you U_U

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Our hashtag should be #AshleyforSmashley (that just rings in peoples heads) or #AshleyforDLC

Well yeah this is like the 3rd time she's been snubbed from Smash (4 if you count the ballot craze) so I guess we're just used to it by now... :/

As EarlTamm EarlTamm mentioned before, that whole 'AT's can't become a character or DLC' is just all purely fanmade

Know that I'm right there with you U_U
I wouldn't consider Brawl a snub when she legitimately wasn't too popular back then, not to mention recency and all that.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Wow over 100 people are viewing the thread lol.

We sure have gotten popular.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wonder where the Rools will flock to now.
I am thinking other long requested characters for Smash, like Geno or Isaac. I think we can safely say now that most of the choices have been for big fan service. And while Ashley may fall under that a bit, I am afraid the focus she has been getting may have been her downfall. If Sakurai has been hell bent on these sort of long requested fan service picks, he may have disregarded any recommendations by Nintendo for certain characters based on marketing.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Hello,

Thought I'd pay my respects so to speak. As you can tell from my pictures I was a die-hard K. Rool supporter, so today's Direct was mostly celebration for me. But you can also see that Ashley was also one of my top picks. With both E3 and this Direct, I had one major character I want get in, and one get AT'd. First it was Ridley and Waluigi, now it's K. Rool and Ashley. It's definitely bittersweet. And it seemed like the "Assist Trophy" section was about to end but then Ashley appears in the final shot with Bomberman. It was very disappointing, but I'm guessing her popularity blew up just a bit too late for the late-2015 project plan.

I'll finish with one final hopeful thought. Don't give up hope for DLC. Waluigi fans are already in this boat, and I know there are a lot of people who refuse to believe that ATs could be considered as DLC characters. But think about it like this - in this game, we have a dragon who was so big he was made a boss in the two games prior, and a DK villain that hasn't been in a game in over a decade. Anything is possible if Sakurai and the team will it. So I very much doubt, if/when they plan DLC characters, that they'll write off ATs entirely, especially with the outpouring of support that Waluigi got and Ashley is getting. We will have to wait and see. Until then, hope you all have other characters you want that are in or to be confirmed later, and good luck with getting them in.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm a rool supportEr

So for me it would be

Viridi
Geno
Banjo and kazooie
Heihachi
Shadow the hedgehog (face it he's unstoppable now)
Isabelle (same boat as shadow)

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I wouldn't consider Brawl a snub when she legitimately wasn't too popular back then, not to mention recency and all that.
Either way, snubbed even once is one time to many. T_T
Wow over 100 people are viewing the thread lol.

We sure have gotten popular.
More guests than users by the looks of it. Bet they're just here farming saltiness for the lulz; well I for one am not not giving them the satisfaction :p

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well I am a Ashley support I'm definatly still numbed about this

It's just k rool was the last character I needed for my dream roster to be completed

And I'm saying those support threads because someone asked who are the rool supports going to follow now I'm just tell who I'm follow I would say right here with Ashley but she's a Assist again

Hope the waluigi conspiracy theory checks out on the dlc era so we get are ashley

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
What a wonderful bunch of people gathered here, it's a shame, it "ended" like this, I am happy for fans of other characters, but officialy I only cared for Chrom's, please never give up hope, it took years of fan demand to include Rool or Ridley, so I hope the Ashley fandom only grows bigger and stronger from here on.

It might hurt now, but this is not the end, it is just an obtacle in the way. Thank you all very much, you are proof that a fandom can have wonderful people.

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Condolences guys. I wanted Ashley in too : (
At least they've finally given her the red eyes! I'm sure she can make it as a DLC fighter now, what with the release of WarioWare Gold. Don't lose hope!

Trust me, I waited 15 years for K Rool... She'll get her chance.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What a wonderful bunch of people gathered here, it's a shame, it "ended" like this, I am happy for fans of other characters, but officialy I only cared for Chrom's, please never give up hope, it took years of fan demand to include Rool or Ridley, so I hope the Ashley fandom only grows bigger and stronger from here on.

It might hurt now, but this is not the end, it is just an obtacle in the way. Thank you all very much, you are prouf that a fandom can have wonderful people.
This is the right mentality to have, I'll never forget how much it hurt when Ridley was disconfirmed for both Brawl and Smash 4 after having speculated with people for so long both times, but it's exactly because we spent so much time voicing our support for the character that he's in at all.

It's a shame for Ashley and you guys that she missed the train this time, but I'm sure her recently very vocal support won't go unnoticed, even if it feels like forever at this stage it'll eventually be taken into consideration when a new game comes around, or maybe even DLC depending on their stance on making ATs which are already in the game playable.

Last edited:

gloop898

Smash Cadet
She was so close to surviving and then BAM! Right at the end. There she was.
I personally don't think ATs are gonna be upgraded to playable status. So I doubt Waluigi or Ashley will be getting in for DLC. We can always hope though.
Simon and K. Rool look absolutely amazing, but I'm sad Ashley is stuck as an assist.
At this point I'm rooting for Skull Kid or Chibi-Robo, although I'm sure the latter won't make it.

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
My thoughts:

Very disappointing, she was the only character I wanted that I really thought would get in. While I'm not going to hold my breath over DLC, it's a possibility. I still support this little witch. And I think it would be beneficial to the WarioWare franchise to get a unique rep in Smash, y'know? I've never really viewed Wario as a WarioWare character, the same way it's hard to think of DK/Yoshi/etc. as their own franchise and not Mario characters. Wario's even more of a Mario character than them to me.

Additionally, it would be great to see some more female fighters. If they continue down the road of adding protagonists and villains, they're going to end up with lots of male newcomers.

Regardless, this kind of destroys my hope for other characters. The leaks are sitting pretty right now at "a few more characters," so I don't expect any more characters riding on fan reception to get in. I'm only betting on Isabelle, Incineroar, and Bandana Dee for unique fighters at this point. At least the way they handled Chrom and Dark Samus gives me new hope for who "qualifies" as an Echo Fighter, so I think we've got a few more of those to look forward to.

Till the game releases I'll be moving on to support Geno and Lloyd, though I expect nothing to come of it. And by some miracle, I'd love Mipha, Viridi/Medusa/Hades, and Octolings.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, I guess there's always next time.

Now let's accept our loss in a dignified manner and not get stuck in the bargaining stage for eons.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
After 3 games (and a ballot) of her not making it in, all I can do to keep sane is sing:

I get knocked down, but I get up again,
You're never gonna keep me down~

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well, I hope everyone here gets at least another character that they want if you support than just Ashley. Like I said, Simon and K.Rool has made me happy despite the painful Ashley disconfirmation, and hopefully, I can get Geno as well. :)

Last edited:

Kariocean

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know where I could find a decent image of Ashley in the nurse's outfit from the badge arcade I thought of an idea for fanart and I need a good image to get quotes for a commission

Noipoi

Howdy!
Well, I hope everyone here gets at least another character that they want if you support than just Ashley. Like I said, Simon and K.Rool has made me happy despite the painful Ashley disconfirmation, and hopefully, I can get Geno as well. :)
I kinda want Incineroar, and Isabelle would be cute. I'd play them.
So they're obviously not gonna be playable.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
No matter what, though, we've gotta do our part to make the case for Ashley's inclusiom, when the time is right. I'm sure Sakurai didn't anticipate the intense growth in Western Ashley fans in the past few months, but if we make her known as THE international fan-favorite, then she shouldn't have any more trouble than, say, a character who hasn't appeared for a decade, or a giant dragon whose "canon" size would be impossible to work around.

That being said, I might take a break from Smashboards. I won't leave entirely, mind you, but all three of my wanted characters have had their fates sealed. There's little for me to talk about anymore. Until next time, may Ashley grant your kids to ... well, you know.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I never posted here before, but I wanted to offer my condolences. I thought Ashley had a pretty good shot and deserved a spot, and I know how it feels to get burned. I hope she gets in next time.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I will have optimism on Ashley in the next Smash if the next WarioWare games heavily promote her and give her a larger role, including outside of the video-game medium like merchandise. I thought that her heavy promotion in 2015 that suddenly went minimal in the later years was a sign that Nintendo did not have as much confidence that she would be a character that is globally marketable like Isabelle and Rosalina. You guys better show your love for Ashley so that Nintendo can bring a bright future for the witch, so that Sakurai next time sees that Ashley has truly earned her merits through her potentially major future appearances in games and advertising.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So looking back at the direct again, Ashley is really the ONLY sad thing in personally. And... It's still nice to see her recognized through AT. I really prefer this instead of just being a regular trophy. As with every "AT genocide", many fan-favorite get deconfirmed, but how crazy it is to have things such as Bomberman, a Rathalos or Shovel Knight?

There's so AT there just to add content such as the klap trap or the Pikmin AT, but... Being an assist still mean "you are among the history of Nintendo".

Now the thing is to promote Ashley (in a respectul manner) and hope that she could make it as DLC. There's no reason for assist to not be able to join the fight in this manner. Look at Palkia, being a pokeball AND a stage Hazard.

Being a stage hazard and a pokeball is different from being an Assist and a fighter. There's no rule saying Sakurai couldn't upgrade a character but why would he? he's already made his decision.
This is different indeed. What I want to say is that the fate of a character is never sealed. Of course, we won't see "loljk Ashley is actually playable I wanted to scare you". Sakurai's joke only happen for a handful of seconds (look at Dedede's troll).

But with enough demand, I believe that an assist could make the cut as a DLC playable character. Even if that mean removing the AT at that moment, when the character is available.

I don't want to actually think of DLCs prior to the game release, but that's something to consider I believe.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So...what do we do now? What's there to talk about? We could keep making movesets for a game that's 10 years away and isn't guaranteed to have the character. I'm trying to figure what more we could discuss before this thread dies.

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
The fan made rule that states AT's can't be playable is just begging to be broken!

Last edited:
Top Bottom