• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
So I've been thinking, Ashley might be the Corrin of this game's DLC. We know (the leak) that a switch Warioware is in development. If the game comes out early 2019, then I can see her being used to promote it. On top of that, she also has popularity. It seems like a no brainer to add her.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Ultimately, I find it hard to mourn (well, whatever you want to call it), when there is work to be done to convince people that Ashley should be next in line. The fire isn't dead, the pantalones have merely intensified, haha.

I've been thinking of a way to get the little moveset I made for Ashley a little more public. If I can get better at digital art and whatnot, I might try and animate it and make a YouTube video about it. Not because I think I'm a genius, or anything, mind you, but because I'd love to get my idea out there and see if we could get Nintendo's attention.

It also wouldn't do us any harm to pay a little more attention to what exactly the Ridley and K. Rool fans did to garner the attention they did. Their characters had larger hurdles than Ashley does, and yet, here we are.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Ultimately, I find it hard to mourn (well, whatever you want to call it), when there is work to be done to convince people that Ashley should be next in line. The fire isn't dead, the pantalones have merely intensified, haha.

I've been thinking of a way to get the little moveset I made for Ashley a little more public. If I can get better at digital art and whatnot, I might try and animate it and make a YouTube video about it. Not because I think I'm a genius, or anything, mind you, but because I'd love to get my idea out there and see if we could get Nintendo's attention.

It also wouldn't do us any harm to pay a little more attention to what exactly the Ridley and K. Rool fans did to garner the attention they did. Their characters had larger hurdles than Ashley does, and yet, here we are.
Maybe if we all got really good at art and coordinated this all in the discord to create a sort of astroturf campaign to get Ashley into Smash. Sounds like a neat idea, and even if it doesn't work, we learn a valuable skill.

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Maybe if we all got really good at art and coordinated this all in the discord to create a sort of astroturf campaign to get Ashley into Smash. Sounds like a neat idea, and even if it doesn't work, we learn a valuable skill.
I'd be down with it. If we want to market our favorite character, we have to reach the non-Ashley fans a lot easier. Start hashtags! Make (tasteful) fan art! Mention her significance in various forms of multimedia! I'm sure someone more creative than me can come up with some other strategies, but I'll be darned if I'm going to let the opportunity to indirectly campaign for an Ashley amiibo slip through my fingers.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Call me delusional but after spending more time thinking about it I believe Ashley can make DLC.

Sakurai may not have begun the planning phase for DLC yet. This is the third Smash game since we got AT's making a debut in Brawl. Sakurai seems to be more ambitious with each and every iteration. Perhaps this is the iteration where he is willing to break the AT's can't be playable characters rule. Heck, the Waluigi fanbase told Sakurai how they feel we should too!

We got 7 characters for DLC in Smash 4. Sakurai will probably include characters too late for the planning phase such as Springman and Rex & Pyra but, that still leaves a bunch of open spaces for others.

Now is the time to act! We got to get the message to Sakurai! I believe we can get AT characters playable for DLC!

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Call me delusional but after spending more time thinking about it I believe Ashley can make DLC.

Sakurai may not have begun the planning phase for DLC yet. This is the third Smash game since we got AT's making a debut in Brawl. Sakurai seems to be more ambitious with each and every iteration. Perhaps this is the iteration were he is willing to brake the AT's can't be playable characters rule. Heck, the Waluigi fanbase told Sakurai how they feel we should too!

We got 7 characters for DLC in Smash 4. Sakurai will probably include characters too late for the planning phase such as Springman and Rex & Pyra but, that still leaves a bunch of open spaces for others.

Now is the time to act! We got to get the message to Sakurai! I believe we can get AT characters playable for DLC!
And this time, we don't have any DLC veterans to worry about. If DLC happens, it's 100% newcomers.

As far as making our voice heard, yes, let's do that, but we have to be incredibly constructive with what we say. If the Waluigi fans have taught us anything, it's that a few bad eggs will spoil it for everyone. No one thinks about the people who actually want Waluigi and are simply voicing their opinion: they think of the single-digit amount of people who insulted Sakurai on Twitter, or whatever.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I'd be down with it. If we want to market our favorite character, we have to reach the non-Ashley fans a lot easier. Start hashtags! Make (tasteful) fan art! Mention her significance in various forms of multimedia! I'm sure someone more creative than me can come up with some other strategies, but I'll be darned if I'm going to let the opportunity to indirectly campaign for an Ashley amiibo slip through my fingers.
Yeah, I think another thing we could do is create a Warioware subreddit since there's only a Wario one at the moment. Would be a nice hub for Ashley art that we could cross post to other big subs.

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet

Sakurai may not have begun the planning phase for DLC yet. This is the third Smash game since we got AT's making a debut in Brawl. Sakurai seems to be more ambitious with each and every iteration. Perhaps this is the iteration where he is willing to break the AT's can't be playable characters rule. Heck, the Waluigi fanbase told Sakurai how they feel we should too!

I see the #AshleyforSmashley but is that enough to convey the message? What if we also say something like #PlayableAssistTrophies?

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
We really have to wait for Sakurai's stance on DLC for this game to think Ashley has a chance. I think with the outcry for Waluigi that started after his deconfirmation, if he's revealed for DLC, then we have a chance.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I see what you guys mean but we need to reach out in order to start the movement.

First we should get someone to make an account for Ashley fans.

Then we should recruit people to help run the account.

Third we should schedule content for what we should post and work together and coordinate on it.

I feel like this can work, it's worked with other campaigns before, it just requires time, effort, and patience.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
We really have to wait for Sakurai's stance on DLC for this game to think Ashley has a chance. I think with the outcry for Waluigi that started after his deconfirmation, if he's revealed for DLC, then we have a chance.
No we can't wait! If we remain quiet until DLC characters are making their appearances it will be too late! If we voice our opinion now (Hopefully in a respectable manner) we can convince Sakurai to give Ashley a second chance before he makes his decision for DLC!

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Yeah, I think another thing we could do is create a Warioware subreddit since there's only a Wario one at the moment. Would be a nice hub for Ashley art that we could cross post to other big subs.
Yeah, while there seems to be a decent correlation between Wario fans and Ashley fans, there seem to be just as many classic Wario fans who don't care for Ashley ("WarioWare trampled Wario Land", "Mona is better than Ashley", etc.) A place to better hone the attention on Ashley would be pretty great, I would say.

I see the #AshleyforSmashley but is that enough to convey the message? What if we also say something like #PlayableAssistTrophies?
That seems like a nifty hashtag to pull out when DLC is inevitably announced.

And even if there isn't DLC for this game, this gives us plenty of time to prepare for Smash 6. I know that Smash 6 is supposed to be a deconstruction of the current Smash roster, but I take that to mean trimming the fat, polishing the mainstays, and adding shiny, more modern greenhorns in place of what was cut. The cutting of excess characters means nothing but good things for potential newcomers, and so long as we back the WarioWare franchise, make Ashley's name known, and support whatever new weird adventures she goes on, Ashley will be a surefire contender.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I see what you guys mean but we need to reach out in order to start the movement.

First we should get someone to make an account for Ashley fans.

Then we should recruit people to help run the account.

Third we should schedule content for what we should post and work together and coordinate on it.

I feel like this can work, it's worked with other campaigns before, it just requires time, effort, and patience.
Kyon might as well be this. He already has a reputation as the Ashley guy, I don't know if he'd mind running an Ashley account.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
No we can't wait! If we remain quiet until DLC characters are making their appearances it will be too late! If we voice our opinion now (Hopefully in a respectable manner) we can convince Sakurai to give Ashley a second chance before he makes his decision for DLC!
Whoever makes the account, remember,

BE AS RESPECTFUL AS POSSIBLE

I help run an account for a similar purpose with a few others, there were minor complaints here and there so I just want to say make sure that with all-do respect try the best to be careful as you can.

Thank you all.

FarquadMoses

Smash Cadet
Would a petition work? I think Sakurai acknowledged the Petition for Reggie to be playable in Smash when revealing the Mii's.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
So I've been thinking, Ashley might be the Corrin of this game's DLC. We know (the leak) that a switch Warioware is in development. If the game comes out early 2019, then I can see her being used to promote it. On top of that, she also has popularity. It seems like a no brainer to add her.
Wow, I actually hadn't thought of this. If that leak ends up being accurate, the timing of WarioWare Switch could indeed end up being very good for us. I had considered it in regards to keeping Ashley relevant for the base, but not from the standpoint of DLC. We really need to see a Direct focused on more than just Smash to get a better idea if that leak's contents are indeed accurate. We also just need a full Direct anyways since Nintendo should be promoting more than just Smash, as much as I love it.

So really, we still have something to be speculating and anticipating. Whatever happens, Ashley still has a future ahead.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
She won’t be Corrin, because if this thread has taught me anything, is that people want Ashley.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Gotta say, though, this has really killed my drive to participate in Smash speculation. The only characters I really want that are left alive have very little chance of making it to begin with. (Shantae & Vaati).

It still seems a bit surreal that they disconfirmed her, tbh. BUt how little the chance it may be, It's never too late to rally. I'm used to disappointment as Ridley has been my most wanted for 17 years. If we get an Ultimate Ballot, convince as many people as you can to vote for her. I still feel that she has a chance no matter how small. As I said, I intend to throw every vote I can to Ashley. For me, it's truly not 'ultimate' if we lack one of the most obvious choices for a mage like moveset.

Grass roots is the phrase you're looking for. An astroturf campaign is fake support. lulz. But yes, if you have them, put those skills to work. It's the best way to show support for her in Smash and gets the message across really well.

We should do it in a much more respectable manner though. Some of the things that vocal Waluigi fans did was in very poor taste. Also, I said it earlier, Sakurai has been breaking fan rules forever, so It is only a matter of time before Assist Trophies can't be playable is one of them.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
It seems so surreal to me that just earlier today I was so confident in Ashley's chances, and now she's been disconfirmed. It makes me feel very unsure about my other picks, especially a Rhythm Heaven rep. I really like how everyone here is still so hopeful, as we've gotta be. We can't fall into obscurity.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Would a petition work? I think Sakurai acknowledged the Petition for Reggie to be playable in Smash when revealing the Mii's.
Could easily backfire. If the petition can't even reach 100 signatures then someone will screencap it for derision later. It worked for Reggie because he's a huge meme.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
She won’t be Corrin, because if this thread has taught me anything, is that people want Ashley.
This just adds to the possibility. She has more than just relevancy. If her support continues to grow I can really see this happening

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
Don't give up on Ashley! Would Ashley give up on any of us? HELL NO!!! She wouldn't!

We can't hide until Smash 6 to crawl out of the floorboards! Now our friend Ashley is in dire need! We need to help her!

Don't stop supporting Ashley! We can do this! We can get Ashley in Ultimate DLC!

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm agreeing with this. Begin showing the support now. It might be too late by the time the game comes out.

Petitions don't work and, imo, a poor way to show support. Best way to show support is through actions, not signing a list.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Don't give up on Ashley! Would Ashley give up on any of us? HELL NO!!! She wouldn't!

We can't hide until Smash 6 to crawl out of the floorboards! Now our friend Ashley is in dire need! We need to help her!

Don't stop supporting Ashley! We can do this! We can get Ashley in Ultimate DLC!
That's right, with K Rool out of the picture we're the biggest support thread, so let's keep it that way.

UserKev

Smash Champion
All of you are acting as if Ashley is a "one off" character. She isn't. As what Nintenzilla suggestion, START now and a new Smash could be announced in 3 years. Sakurai stated Smash is special so there's a chance he can still come back as full director, just managing the development team.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That's right, with K Rool out of the picture we're the biggest support thread, so let's keep it that way.
This alone, I think, is a very good way to show support. It says something that this thread is almost 3x bigger than the next most replied thread and, for the moment, shows no signs of slowing down. Keep the support alive, I say.

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
If we could coordinate and get in touch with the Japanese fanbase it would create more of a unity feel, increase our numbers and, boost confidence. Is there a Japanese community that supports Ashley? We need to contact them.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
All of you are acting as if Ashley is a "one off" character. She isn't. As what Nintenzilla suggestion, START now and a new Smash could be announced in 3 years. Sakurai stated Smash is special so there's a chance he can still come back as full director, just managing the development team.
I've been of the belief that Ashley in Smash is an inevitability. So I fully agree with you. It would just really hurt to have her miss out on Ultimate since something like this game will very likely never happen again

SiddShidds

Smash Journeyman
That's right! Now that K. Rool is playable Ashley is the Queen of Smashboard's speculation towering over every other character! A character this popular can't be denied her rights! Ashley deserves to be playable!

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Yeah, we should use this thread to coordinate. Would be a good way to keep this thread relevant so we can discuss Smash news together while giving Ashley an edge for when DLC rolls around. Our little witch won't die without a fight.

Now to figure out how to CSS for that subreddit idea...

Last edited:

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
We need to outreach to other Smash speculation communities too! If we can get Reddit, 4chan, GameFAQs and, any other Smash community on the internet to join the push for Ashley it will help even more.

Especially, If we can get Youtubers involved in conveying the message to viewers to not give up on Ashley.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I leave for a few hours and you guys are starting a war effort!
I got pretty salty back there, i was just really upset, but maybe there's still hope.
I'm not too sure Sakurai will add a DLC character that's already an AT, but I guess it's worth a shot!
Never thought i'd get to say this again, but until our voices are heard-
ASHLEY.
LIVES.
ON!!!

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I leave for a few hours and you guys are starting a war effort!
I got pretty salty back there, i was just really upset, but maybe there's still hope.
I'm not too sure Sakurai will add a DLC character that's already an AT, but I guess it's worth a shot!
Never thought i'd get to say this again, but until our voices are heard-
ASHLEY.
LIVES.
ON!!!
That's the spirit!

Leehzart

Smash Cadet
Count me in!!! I can try to create some fanarts that we can share and animate the moveset. We can share them on tweeter with japanese hashtags so we can reach more people. Please dont hesitate to send me messages or tag me in posts! We can do this!

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
Count me in!!! I can try to create some fanarts that we can share and animate the moveset. We can share them on tweeter with japanese hashtags so we can reach more people. Please dont hesitate to send me messages or tag me in posts! We can do this!
Yes! more Fan Art will help push the movement too!

Top Bottom