• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Dogtooth

Smash Apprentice
Seeing Ashley disconfirmed was hard. I really thought she had a good chance. I'm glad we got to speculate for so long on this thread though. The optimism here was contagious, and it was the most fun on Smashboards I've ever had. You guys made me an Ashley supporter, and for that I'm grateful. It may hurt now, but we shouldn't give up! The Ridley and King K Rool fans never gave up, and look where they're at now! If Sakurai wasn't aware of Ashley's popularity during the planning phases, he sure as heck does now! If support continues, I'm sure she'll be first in line for DLC. Having an assist trophy is not a point against her. There's is no way Sakurai would ignore a character for a silly reason like that. We've got this guys!
Yeah there is a first for everything remember little Mac becoming playable from an Assist trophy. Ashley is still possible. We got this guys.

Dogtooth

Smash Apprentice
This is the most I’ve seen online, I guess everyone has the same mindset. I love this community.
: )

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
All I can do now is hope Ashley gets more promotions, like a spot in Mario Kart for her potentially come in as DLC or Smash 6. But for now, it's been a real pleasure supporting her with you all.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I don't feel angry right now because I do feel as if every Newcomer revealed today (Echo fighters take little development time so I consider them negligible) deserves a spot in Smash and I'm really happy for Simon and King K. Rool.

I will admit though I get the feeling in the future I'll feel angry when I see a character that doesn't please me as much get in over Ashley. I'm going to be the "Why did X character get in over Ashley?" guy.
I was hoping K. Rool and Dark Samus would make it for the sake of their fans, but after seeing Ashley get the middle finger, seeing K. Rool kind of hurt, even if I did think he looked cool. It was "Why did everyone else get what THEY wanted, but not me?" to me.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
I'm very sorry Ashley was unfortunately relegated to assist trophy land again. I hope if there's another smash game she gets in though!!

FreshlyBakedCookies

Smash Journeyman
We need to start a campaign, like with what K Rool did, to let Nintendo know that we want her to be playable.

We can start a hashtag, make an account for awareness, just to help with our cause.
That's a good idea. The silver lining to this is that it's looking like Ashley will be the next K. Rool in terms of most requested character for Smash 6. Getting a following wont be too hard.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Guess its time for me to continue supporting sceptile, as we haven't seen the new pokemon rep yet (assuming there is one, which there should be, considering sakurai took time to tell us we haven't seen every new fighter yet. My only real surprise with that direct was Chrom. Not that he was confirmed, but that he echoed roy instead of Ike.

Last edited:

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
Funny how Sakurai sincerely thinks an Assist Trophy is something people would be happy for, when this thread and a lot of people on Twitter are showing the exact opposite reaction he expects people to have. You would think he'd have learned this last time and just dropped the item altogether.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Funny how Sakurai sincerely thinks an Assist Trophy is something people would be happy for, when this thread and a lot of people on Twitter are showing the exact opposite reaction he expects people to have. You would think he'd have learned this last time and just dropped the item altogether.
I mean I can understand for relatively smaller characters like Shovel Knight since he’s from an indie franchise, but for bigger characters like Ashley it hurts real hard.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
You know Zero Suit Samus's star KO sound effect? That's how I feel right now.

Also hello again. Long time no see.

NTDO89

Smash Apprentice
I don’t even know what to do now.
He picked Simon Belmont over her?
There's nothing TO do. People are too busy licking Nintendo's feet over Simon and K. Rool that any comments about Ashley would be drowned out in seconds, so it's not like people could say something to them personally on Twitter about it. I think the only reason Nintendo knew about the Waluigi backlash is because of YouTubers making him a meme and kids pretending to be angry despite having no idea who he actually is. Maybe some money-hungry YouTuber will pretend to care about Ashley and make her get noticed by Reggie. It'd be something.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm not sure if Ashley's big enough to cause fan-outcry. I don't know if Sakurai will ever know how many people really want her.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
As seen with Ridley and K. Rool, don't give up Ashley fans.

She may not have made it this game, but in the future, who knows? Look at how people laughed at the idea of Ridley and K. Rool getting into Smash, and it actually happened.

So don't give up, there's always going to be new Smash games in the future.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
If nothing else, I can at least be happy about tourney returning from brawl, classic mode being fun again, fountain of dreams and rainbow cruise returning, and the fact that stamina can now have stock set alongside it.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
This song is helping me feel better. It's hard being upset when listening to Tomorrow Hill.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
So guys... do you trust me in continuing to support Ashley for as long as possible? I really don't think we should give up as she really has a chance for DLC: Sakurai could easily go back and look at other characters people wanted but couldn't get in beforehand due to time constraints or other reasons.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
i would been glad toplay as ashley... but she wasn't really one of my top picks... still, hope you guys doing fine. as I said in the bomberman thread.. is not the absolute end of the world.. although i gotta admit she will have it though competing for popularity against waluigi, shovel knight, bomberman and lyn...

Still, with alucard, shovel knight and bomberman... the AT club is starting to feel less like the scrap of the barrel DX

UserKev

Smash Champion
Man I can totally relate to you Ashley supporters that are beginning to show unmotivated. I'm sorry I ever said I didn't want her in the game.

Fun fact tho, Ashley is highly possible to be playable eventually even if you stopped supporting while Mimikyu's dream is crushed.

Kyon9898

Smash Journeyman
Today is a sad day for all us fans of Ashley, but do not fright, she is still our favorite witch and we'll continue to support her for years to come. She is our witch, and always will be.

The cruelest girl we've ever had the honor of meeting. She'll remain our favorite pick for Smash, and overall a fan-favorite for years to come!

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I wasn't super huge on Ashley, but seeing her deconfirmed still kinda sucks. This direct was perfect in every other way, so overall I'm more than satisfied. Maybe next game.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
A real shame they had Ashley remain an Assist Trophy. I’m at work so I haven’t been able to watch the Direct myself.

I thought because they didn’t show her intially they intended on making her a playable character. I also thought WarioWare could use a rep.

I’ll still support Ashley 100% in the future. Who knows, maybe as DLC Sakurai will make Assist Trophies like Ashley and Waluigi actual fighters?

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
So guys... do you trust me in continuing to support Ashley for as long as possible? I really don't think we should give up as she really has a chance for DLC: Sakurai could easily go back and look at other characters people wanted but couldn't get in beforehand due to time constraints or other reasons.
I agree. We need to keep supporting our favorite witch. DLC is her chance to shine!

Leehzart

Smash Cadet
I cant beleive this is happening again. However dont you guys think that was a little strange.... why she wasnt show before? Why they put it there? She was the only old assist trophy in the whole direct, and she doesnt even appeared on the website... I dont know guys, I dont wanna give false hopes but something is really odd about all this...

cybersai

Smash Ace
I guess you guys can do what Ridley and K. Rool fans did, if there's another ballot flood it with Ashley votes and keep support going. It's always possible an Assist trophy can be removed with an update if Sakurai decides to make the character playable.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It is a sad day, but it is not the end. Maybe it is because I don't have as much of a pessimistic view on assists as other do, but I will continue to support Ashley. The idea that assists can't eventually become characters in the same game is a fan rule, and many of those have been shattered. I will look forward to DLC, and the eventual squeals(Because do you really think this is the last Smash? This series is way to profitable for Nintendo to just let it end). The Rathalos is proof of my conviction.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I cant beleive this is happening again. However dont you guys think that was a little strange.... why she wasnt show before? Why they put it there? She was the only old assist trophy in the whole direct, and she doesnt even appeared on the website... I dont know guys, I dont wanna give false hopes but something is really odd about all this...
Now that I think about it, it is really odd that they would only wait till now to announce her, and not even put her on the website...

Weird.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Don't look too much into it. She's is not playable in the base game for sure. I'd like to think it's Sakurai acknowledging her popularity by showing her so we don't get our hopes up

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
If I had to guess, they just haven't put her up yet since this information came out not too long ago and will be added later, honestly, as much as I want this to be a fake-out by Sakurai.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
Well, there's a bunch of returning ATs that aren't there.
Not to mention that we saw her as an AT with our own eyes.

Please don't spread around "Waluigi is totally playable and Sakurai is trolling us"-tier crackpot theories.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
They should have just shot us in the heart day one and not let our imaginations go over our heads.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Y'all can bounce back from this, don't worry.

This thread right now is a lot better and mature than what I'd expect normally after a deconfirmation, be proud of that.

Top Bottom