• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Little Witch of Diamond City - Ashley - The Witch retreats. For now.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think Warioware needs to get a lot popular for that to happen. They already messed up by letting 1000 ways to die take its niche away on mobile, and not having a Warioware Switch at launch, meanwhile 1-2 switch sold ridiculously well because of its timing as a Switch tech demo. I think Ashley being in Smash would be a good way to get the word out more.
Warioware could use the popularity, but Ashley herself is already being pushed by Nintendo.
I hope she takes off soon, she's already kinda mainstream but I want her to be really mainstream.
I'm talking plushies, posters, figures, a spin off series, the whole 9 yards!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Speaking of, I was gonna do Dixie, Lip, and Geno but I decided not to after seeing that the Bandana Dee thread had a surprising amount of dead air in it.
Well, I feel Geno at least had a surprising growth, at least comparative. It went from mid 200's in replies to the 6th most replied thread(5th if you don't count Krystal since her reveal as an assist). But yeah, it is pretty quite right now.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
And I still think it was odd that Nintendo was pushing her with stuff like the Badge Arcade, 3DS themes, and Mii costume. Why a seemingly random WarioWare character and not a more prominent character from another series? There has to be a reason for that. Nintendo doesn't do anything without reason.

Hat Kid

Smash Cadet
I feel like Ashley as a character has massive amounts of potential, I strongly feel like Nintendo including her in Smash would be a smart move on their part, I seriously feel as a character they have potential to really push her as a all-star.
My thoughts exactly. On top of Smash, that’s why it would be great if we see her in Mario Kart/Mario Tennis/Mario Party as well as a surprise guest. That would help with her popularity for sure.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
And I still think it was odd that Nintendo was pushing her with stuff like the Badge Arcade, 3DS themes, and Mii costume. Why a seemingly random WarioWare character and not a more prominent character from another series? There has to be a reason for that. Nintendo doesn't do anything without reason.
From what I gather, SPD 1 was in charge of badge arcade and they make Warioware. They must've wanted to promote one of their own characters, and Ashley was the most marketable one they had. I don't think everything else is a conspiracy for her to be introduced into Smash and Mario Kart. Rather it's just a result of her own popularity both inside and outside of the internal systems of Nintendo.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Maybe a bit of a cruel question, but if you had to choose between Ashley getting her own game within the next year or her being in Smash Ultimate, which would you pick?

Personally I would pick her getting her own game. As much as I'd love to have her in Smash, I feel like her getting a spinoff series would help her grow as a character more, and could end up being included in a later Smash game representing her own series. Not to mention there's some great potential for what her own series could be about.

Of course, if we get her in Smash first, I won't complain.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
From what I gather, SPD 1 was in charge of badge arcade and they make Warioware. They must've wanted to promote one of their own characters, and Ashley was the most marketable one they had. I don't think everything else is a conspiracy for her to be introduced into Smash and Mario Kart. Rather it's just a result of her own popularity both inside and outside of the internal systems of Nintendo.
That may be true but she is undeniably popular in general, why would they use her to promote a shop otherwise?
I just hope Nintendo seizes the opportunity to heavily promote a smaller, but well loved character of theirs in Smash Bros.

Maybe a bit of a cruel question, but if you had to choose between Ashley getting her own game within the next year or her being in Smash Ultimate, which would you pick?

Personally I would pick her getting her own game. As much as I'd love to have her in Smash, I feel like her getting a spinoff series would help her grow as a character more, and could end up being included in a later Smash game representing her own series. Not to mention there's some great potential for what her own series could be about.

Smash first. Once she's in Smash more people will know and love her, then when they see she has her own game coming they'll be more inclined to buy it!

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Definitely being in Smash.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

I think I'd prefer see her in Smash first. Creating a new game would take time and resources. What if the game gets made and it flops? That would basically kill any chance of Ashley being in anything outside of WarioWare. Putting Ashley in Smash first would be a great way to further boost her profile and test her popularity.

I'd buy an Ashley game regardless, but I think putting her in Smash first is the smarter move to bring more awareness to her character.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I feel like with either option, the other will eventually follow. But if I had to choose, I would pick Smash, just so the game would have a better chance of success. If an Ashley game comes out, I would rather have people realize her prominence due to Smash Bros. rather than just a side character from Warioware.

Leehzart

Smash Cadet
Question! All of you are going to main Ashley? Or you just will be happy that she is in the game? If its the first one we should do our own ashley tournament to celebrate!
Also, can someone gives me the complete version of all things that vergeben has said please?
Also also, does anyone has like a compilations of all Ashley leaks?
Also also also, I wouldn mind if all of you send me all of your Ashley pics collections and fanarts haha :3

Dilliciouz

Smash Cadet
If that isabelle being in smash rumor is true, do you guys think sakurai could still hold ashley back from playable status or do you think he'd likely graudate her from AT as well?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Question! All of you are going to main Ashley? Or you just will be happy that she is in the game? If its the first one we should do our own ashley tournament to celebrate!
Also, can someone gives me the complete version of all things that vergeben has said please?
Also also also, I wouldn mind if all of you send me all of your Ashley pics collections and fanarts haha :3
I will absolutely positively 100% main Ashley, no doubt! Why wouldn't I play the character I want the most?

If that isabelle being in smash rumor is true, do you guys think sakurai could still hold ashley back from playable status or do you think he'd likely graudate her from AT as well?
I don't think there's a rule that says Sakurai can only upgrade one character from AT status. He can do whatever he wants.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Depends on her play style and what other characters get announced. Still will be glad she is in the game, though.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Question! All of you are going to main Ashley? Or you just will be happy that she is in the game?
I'll definitely play as her and be super happy about her inclusion but I probably won't main her if I'm being honest. She'll absolutely be in my "most frequently played" character rotation, though.

If Shantae (not going to happen) or Geno get in, I'll 100% main them. Otherwise, Rosalina will likely continue being my main.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It would have to depend on her moveset if I main her or not, but I think at the least she'd be one of my secondaries. If I like her moves and get good at playing her, then she'd join the rest of my mains.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Question! All of you are going to main Ashley? Or you just will be happy that she is in the game
Whether I main her for competitive play depends on how much I like her playstyle, but regardless I'll always use her for fun/casual matches.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I promised if Ashley got in, i'd become the most top tier Ashley player I could be!
(Considering my skills I wouldn't be that good, but still)

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Question! All of you are going to main Ashley? Or you just will be happy that she is in the game?
This is actually a tough question, because I expect to see Bandana Dee and K. Rool make it in as well, so choosing between the 3 is gonna be a hard choice.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Oi, I think I'm gonna have her as a co-main or secondery main

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I really can't make any promises on whether I'd main any of my most wanteds until I could play them, and in fact out of my top 5 only 2 fit the archetypes I go for (heavy and/or hard-hitting), neither of which I expect Ashley to belong in.

However, I will definitely try her out, and she'd likely end up one of my favorite characters for casual play at the least.

Hat Kid

Smash Cadet
I would choose her being in Smash Ultimate definitely.

It depends on her play style. I'm a big Rosalina fan and I was hyped for her in Smash 4, but I was not a fan of her play style (and I personally felt dirty when I would get those janky Luma kills when my opponent was only at 35%...). I like the character a lot and got good with her, but I always stuck to Ness when I went to locals and stuff (I felt better with Ness anyways). But I'm definitely gonna try to main Ashley at first. I'm way more hype for Ashley than I was for Rosalina lol

Dogtooth

Smash Apprentice
Even if Ashley is the weakest tier wise, I would 100% main her.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, if Ashley is a sort of character that debuffs the opponent, like a lot of us are thinking, how strong would that be? We have had those who can buff themselves, but that typically came at a cost, like with Shulk's trade offs or Lucario's damage to itself.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
You know, if Ashley is a sort of character that debuffs the opponent, like a lot of us are thinking, how strong would that be? We have had those who can buff themselves, but that typically came at a cost, like with Shulk's trade offs or Lucario's damage to itself.
Lucario isn't really disadvantaged by Aura, outside of very low percents.

Anyway, it'd kinda depend on a lot of things. What kind of debuffs can she apply? If multiple, is it random or predetermined in some way? How long do they last? Is there a limit of any sorts or can she debuff all day every day as long as the hits connect each time? What are the properties of the attack(s) she uses to debuff? Is there a drawback to using the debuff attack?
There's a lot of factors at play. I'd suspect she'd end up mid-tier or low-tier however, as a gut feeling. Unless there's some sort of rule where witches have to be top-tier. I mean hey, look at Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Kariocean

Smash Rookie

Rather she be in Smash first and if she gets popular enough and she gets her own game I'll play that too, till then I got that Ashley platformer fan game I found

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Lucario isn't really disadvantaged by Aura, outside of very low percents.
I guess, but in Ultimate I think we are gonna stay in those higher score more often if the gameplay shows anything, and up specialing at high percents can easily mess you up if you are not careful. Besides that, yeah, Lucario may not have been the best example.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace

Easily Smash. It could help her become the iconic Nintendo character we all want her to be. Smash will definitely boost her popularity, and hopefully a game for her will eventually be considered thanks to it.
I'm not sure if I'll main Ashley, but I'll definitely play her a lot. She's competing with Banadana Dee, a Rhyhrm Heaven rep, and my previous mains. Still, I'm certainly going to make an effort to play her often. An Ashley tournament would be wicked (she better say that in one of her victory animations).

Here's the original Vergeben leak
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76614511
He's also said that Isabelle is in but didn't specify whether she was an echo or not. He also said there was another newcomer he knew about but wasn't sure if was real. Today he said there is a gen 7 pokemon but it's not Decidueye, Lyconroc, or Mimikyu. id treat all his info with a grain of salt.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Holy cow, I haven't been on this form in quite a while so i decided I would take a look to see what was going on and we are already well past 100 pages!, that's crazy, we are on king k rool levels now.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I think both of those outcomes influence each other; she gets her own game, that increases her chance to be in the next Smash, and vice versa. So it's a matter of which one comes first.

I would have to say I'd like her to be in Smash first, because if her game is coming first, that would mean that she's passing Ultimate, and I don't want that. Ultimate's roster is looking so great right now, and if Ashley gets in it, it would be absolutely perfect. I mean come on. Everyone in Smash history + Ashley, that's dream roster right there.

Last edited:

Ashuree

Hocus Pocus
No question going to main her, I don't at all care about teir or whatever I just play who I like the most!

ToilerMoiler

Smash Apprentice
Most likely, or at the very least be a secondary.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster

Personally, I would put her in Smash first just for the grand exposure, and then I would put her in her own games so at least she is recognizable as the "little witch girl" from Smash. :p

Well, I will give every newcomer a fair shot and a few matches to see where they stand, but I will try my best to see if Ashley can at least be one of my secondaries.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Easily Smash. It could help her become the iconic Nintendo character we all want her to be. Smash will definitely boost her popularity, and hopefully a game for her will eventually be considered thanks to it.

Here's the original Vergeben leak
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch/76614511
He's also said that Isabelle is in but didn't specify whether she was an echo or not. He also said there was another newcomer he knew about but wasn't sure if was real. Today he said there is a gen 7 pokemon but it's not Decidueye, Lyconroc, or Mimikyu. id treat all his info with a grain of salt.
People on this site and elsewhere should stop treating him as the god of Smash leaks because he made a lucky guess with Ridley, and Ridley was guessed/leaked before he came along. He's had just as much wrong and the way he's discussing the Pokemon character is quite sketchy. We shouldn't be taking him seriously.

While I don't believe any leaks, especially text leaks, I have noticed that more have Ashley playable than not. It's obvious the demand is there.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I can't give up Zelda, especially considering her buffs after 17 years of being low tier. Maining Zelda must be in my DNA by now. But I will surely co-main Ashley and play a duo of magical characters!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Since it's looking increasingly unlikely that there's any sort of reveal at EVO this weekend, thus proving any EVO leaks wrong, I guess the next chance for some information can be at Gamescon, unless there's a Direct happening before that.

Still hoping Ashley is announced as character 66 at some point soon.

Top Bottom