• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Link Match Up Thread: Fox time!

Spife

Smash Master

The Link Match Up Thread

As you can see this is a match up thread for the Link boards. Here we talk about the different components to each match up, no matter how infrequent. Got a question about a match up? Ask it here and hopefully you'll find an answer to better your understanding of said match up, and the thread/first post overall.

Fox:
Get wrecked. But seriously, jabs can stop most of his approaches and slow him down, and you want to slow him down.

Marth:
CC his bs and then..do stuff. Aerial > Grab > dthrow > utilt is one of my favs. This is a match up you don't want to spam nair in.

Sheik:
Found it!

Originally posted by 2007 Skler:

Alright, Sheik is Link's worst counter. You all know that (or at least, you should) and the majority of you probably counter pick or lose against Sheik. Personally I like the Sheik matchup as long as it isn't on a stage like FD, I find it easier than Fox/Falco.

First thing, don't get stuck on FD or DL 64 (a lot of stages are bad, but those are the worst). Sheik can chaingrab you easily there. FoD is pretty solid, same with battlefield. RBC should be used if you feel comfortable there.

Second, don't go into the game with the mindset of "if I lose I'll just john about how bad the counter is". You lost (if you lose) because you weren't good enough. Stop complaining about Link, you picked him. I'm not saying Link is good, he sucks, but don't ***** about it.

Third, play the game. It's simple. Know your spacing and what Sheik can do. Abuse everything Link has while trying to make the Sheik play a more defensive game. Sheik sucks at being defensive. Tap Sheik's shield with nairs/fairs (spaced as to avoid grabs) and jab when you land. Crouch cancel everything until they start to downsmash. Once they start to downsmash shield and grab once you get pushed out of range/the move ends. If they approach with grabs spot dodge or hit them.

Fourth, DI correctly. Good DI is away from Sheik. Away and up or away and down, depending on % and the move used. Of course, DI the fair up and towards the stage.

Fifth, recover. Oh no, Needles! Dodge through them and hookshot. You don't have to hookshot right after the dodge. You have a bit of time to fall before using the hookshot. Use the dodge to pass through the needles/edgeguard and then hookshot the stage. Going low and sweetspotting the spin works well. Be ready the tech the nair/bair that will hit you though (failure to do so results in loss of stock).

Sixth, edgeguard. Throw things to stop Sheik's momentum and then get on the edge. Ledgehop a dair when Sheik lands on the stage, except at low %s where a grab may be in order.

Seventh (man this list is long), combo. It's easy, it should take maybe two combos before Sheik is off the edge at a killing %. Once off the edge it is easy to land a powerful killing move/edgeguard.

That's pretty much all the same stuff I say today too. Yay 2007 Skler!

Sheik's needles are probably the most annoying projectile to Link. It kills all of his options to camp because they knock away everything. Boomerang can be sent back by just a jab, arrows are kinda pointless, bombs die to needles. Bombs can get in if sent from an above angle. That way Needles don't hit them. Then Sheik will be forces to either dodge the bomb, catch the bomb, or shield the bomb.

"Time to weigh in on the cging! Holding onto a bomb can disrupt the chain grab, but they can always grab you after the bomb goes off. Also, if you get out by the bomb going off, you’d have to pull another one for the same securities, AND you’re limited in terms of what you can do with a bomb in hand. Always DI for plat forms but exceptionally gay sheiks will just wave land and grab you again." ~ Spife

Projectile spam your *** off. don't be afraid to let the clock run out, and try you're hardest to run to keep out of grab range.

ban final destination. try to get pkmn stadium as the first level (use your stage strike if necessary) Jabs and Nairs are important. avoid laggy moves at all costs (including grabs) throw in a skrah every now and then, but be smart with it.

if you lose a match, your best counter picks would be rainbow cruise and stages with a wall. (so that you can wall tech out of the chain grab)

good luck..
but try your best not to fight him directly. and the reason i suggested jabs is because they are quick and will kill momentum.

and yes, he will often go for running grab. so if you're in a bad situation, Nair your way out of there.

^Vanz, advice on how to beat Drephen (<3)

Stages to avoid: Dream Land, Final Destination
Stages to go cp: FoD or RC

Falco:
Get above him, and nair. AND DON'T MAKE ANY MISTAKES OR HE'LL RUIN YOUR LEAD!

Falcon:
lolutilts, although spaced nairs will trade hits. Almost anything can eat through his raptor boost iirc (jabs, utitls, nairs, fairs). Btw utilts. Turn around and let him come to your utilt :bee:

7/25/09: Added sheik to the first post, needs moar infoz!

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Alright.

time to make things look pretty.

Edit:

Run through for Jigs

In this match up you have to be patient. What I recommend is to use less of spin-attacks, grabs and down-air. Only use these moves if you know it will hit. Almost 99% of time Jigs is up in the air floating around which calls for the use of projectiles. Use lots of bombs & boomerangs to take away jumps, force jigs in a bad situation and land moves such as n-air, u-air or f-air to rack damage. Taking off stock from jigs is a bit tricky. The easiest way to take stocks off safely is using bombs or boomerangs as a set-up and once you hit jigs use d-air or u-air to conclude.​

In-depth for Marth

- Crouch-cancel most of his moves to down-smash, grabs & spin attacks.
- Use down-throw as a combo start from a grab. Use up-tilts, n-air & b-airs to start the combos.
- Down-throw to d-air or spin attack to take out stocks.
- Use lots of bombs in this match-up, it can lead to combo starters, juggles & stocks.

Edit 2:

Some might be off

Uthrow to D-air on fast fallers.

Fox
Up-throw Short-hop down-air: 55% - 75%
Up-throw Full-Jump down-air: 75% - 90%

Falco
Up-throw Short-hop down-air: 55% - 75%

Captain Falcon
Up-throw Short-hop down-air: 50% - 75%

Skler

Smash Master
Found it!

Originally posted by 2007 Skler:

Alright, Sheik is Link's worst counter. You all know that (or at least, you should) and the majority of you probably counter pick or lose against Sheik. Personally I like the Sheik matchup as long as it isn't on a stage like FD, I find it easier than Fox/Falco.

First thing, don't get stuck on FD or DL 64 (a lot of stages are bad, but those are the worst). Sheik can chaingrab you easily there. FoD is pretty solid, same with battlefield. RBC should be used if you feel comfortable there.

Second, don't go into the game with the mindset of "if I lose I'll just john about how bad the counter is". You lost (if you lose) because you weren't good enough. Stop complaining about Link, you picked him. I'm not saying Link is good, he sucks, but don't ***** about it.

Third, play the game. It's simple. Know your spacing and what Sheik can do. Abuse everything Link has while trying to make the Sheik play a more defensive game. Sheik sucks at being defensive. Tap Sheik's shield with nairs/fairs (spaced as to avoid grabs) and jab when you land. Crouch cancel everything until they start to downsmash. Once they start to downsmash shield and grab once you get pushed out of range/the move ends. If they approach with grabs spot dodge or hit them.

Fourth, DI correctly. Good DI is away from Sheik. Away and up or away and down, depending on % and the move used. Of course, DI the fair up and towards the stage.

Fifth, recover. Oh no, Needles! Dodge through them and hookshot. You don't have to hookshot right after the dodge. You have a bit of time to fall before using the hookshot. Use the dodge to pass through the needles/edgeguard and then hookshot the stage. Going low and sweetspotting the spin works well. Be ready the tech the nair/bair that will hit you though (failure to do so results in loss of stock).

Sixth, edgeguard. Throw things to stop Sheik's momentum and then get on the edge. Ledgehop a dair when Sheik lands on the stage, except at low %s where a grab may be in order.

Seventh (man this list is long), combo. It's easy, it should take maybe two combos before Sheik is off the edge at a killing %. Once off the edge it is easy to land a powerful killing move/edgeguard.

That's pretty much all the same stuff I say today too. Yay 2007 Skler!

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
get ***** by falcon stos :D, maybe if i'm in a good mood one day i'll teach u how to beat a falcon, and teach u to play link :D

Spife

Smash Master
First question: how do I get out of wave shining? Hope the mess up or is there another way? Smash di?

4Serial

Smash Lord
Yup, you can smash DI the shine.
If they like waveshining you 2 or 3 times, you can smash DI into him and behind him and scrraaahhhh him or grab or something.
I'm not sure if you can smash DI out of his grab or u-smash reach after a waveshine to punish him, but it's worth testing out.

If they do n-air > shine you can DI away and down and cc grab. If they d-air, you can smash di away and grab.

Camp platforms with bombs and they can't waveshine you very effectively.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
smash DIin works. Before I use to smash DI in and try to get behind them but people started to counter that by doing earlier shines to prevent me from going going behind them so now I just di out.

Skler

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure Fox can catch you regardless of DI, it's just really hard to do since DIing away forces them to perfect WD and DIing towards them/down forces them to do short WDs and faster shines. I'd say just mix up DI for it and they're bound to screw up after a few shines.

rhan

Smash Hero
Even though I play Young Link.... Can I still tribute? Most matchups are about the same. Just have to switch up a few moves.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Even though I play Young Link.... Can I still tribute? Most matchups are about the same. Just have to switch up a few moves.
Yeah thats fine I mean like Y.Link and Link are almost the same.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Guys I two stocked Skler in pools at a random mass madness two months ago with Sheik?

Does that automatically nullify his entire post?

I'm only posting so he acknowledges me :(.

ppig

Smash Journeyman
i like fighting fox and shiek i cant stand falco and as long as the marth doesn't spam fairs im good against him just utilize the projectiles and bombs **** up combos and really ****s up marth :p also kevin m i love hack. sigh

rhan

Smash Hero
We should all work on each character 1 week at a time. Like for example this week we should choose the matchup "Marth vs Link" and everyone throws in what they know about the matchup. Then organize it. Then throw it in the OP and start on a new character vs Link. Just a thought I seen it work well in the Pichu thread.

Spife

Smash Master
Third. Who do we want to start on? We're already kind of on sheik as it is so just keep this going?

I think what I want to do is only update first post once or twice for the match ups, instead of re-updating it EVERY time some one posts new information as that will get tedious and sloppy (because of the different ways people write).
SO maybe we should work on a match up for a little bit, then compile all of it in one post and I can either: A) quote the single post, or B) just copy and paste it into post one. Depends on how long it ends up getting, probably should have reserved some posts -_-.
I'm thinking it will be a good idea to do both, that is posts like the one Skler did with sheik should get linked to, BUT it would be a good idea to take the snipits, retrype them so they're smooth and put them in the first post. I'm probably going to be told that'll be unnecessary, BUT it would be good to have the files on my computer AND make them look nice. I wouldn't mind if people could help in any way but I think I have a good idea on how to do it so yeah.

IF all goes well this will be very well done, we just need to stay on top of it.

We need the info that Skler and Stos posted, what to do in a match up AS WELL AS % information. Videos of good play, and videos of bad play would be useful, but might not be included in first post (there'll be a lot of stuff as is).

rhan

Smash Hero
I agree that we should start with Sheik first. Link most difficult matchup and the most to comment on. I don't know much about it but I play Sheik and I can give what she does to Link. Shaeman111 plays my Sheik almost all the time so he can give more insight on that matchup. Also I think he has a very old video (somewhere floating on Youtube) of him vs Tope. It's not his best performance but you did say you need "bad play" videos.

Ok.

Sheik's needles are probably the most annoying projectile to Link. It kills all of his options to camp because they knock away everything. Boomerang can be sent back by just a jab, arrows are kinda pointless, bombs die to needles. Bombs can get in if sent from an above angle. That way Needles don't hit them. Then Sheik will be forces to either dodge the bomb, catch the bomb, or shield the bomb.

I'll update a little more when my brain feels like co-operating. I have many thoughts running in my head. Upcomming tourney stress n ****. Sorry guys.

Spife

Smash Master
Just weighing in (and it's official, we're doing Sheik), holding onto a bomb is a good way to fight against getting CG'd BUT I'm sure I've done it and I'm sure they waited for the bomb to explode on me.

And platforms don't always work in terms of getting out, Drephen taught me that ^-^

Spife

Smash Master
we will, Sheik first, then fox-> the rest of the tier list. I had a lot of falcon practice (I even don't let Hax forget I beat him one time in a friendly :bee:) but I'm a little hazy on the match up.

Spife

Smash Master
Link vs Falcon is an ugly matchup. It's below Sheik, Fox and Falco on the matchups that **** Link tier list.
says you!
Skler hates his match up, this I know. I for one still don't think it's that bad, but I agree, Shiek/Fox, then falco, then falcon, then marth in terms of how bad upper tier hurtz.

I personally can't wait to get to ICs :bee:

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Link vs Falcon isn't as bad as any other top/high tier exept peach.
Link's uptilt just takes spacing and timing. Then you win. Curse you impatient link mains just **** falcon. It's that easy.
Anyways i can provide in depth for maybe 50% of these characters, and a general review for another 20%. But some other characters im just like, wtfitsyoshi!?

Skler

Smash Master
Link vs Falcon isn't as bad as any other top/high tier exept peach.
Link's uptilt just takes spacing and timing. Then you win. Curse you impatient link mains just **** falcon. It's that easy.
Anyways i can provide in depth for maybe 50% of these characters, and a general review for another 20%. But some other characters im just like, wtfitsyoshi!?
Marth doesn't even compare to Falcon when it comes to ****** Link. Falcon can grab you if you start utilting, he's just that fast. It tends to go utilt -> falcon dashes at you -> Link tries to move/attack/avoid horrible death -> Link gets grabbed. Then kneed. Twice. Into a sacred combo.

Falcon ***** Link far worse than Marth. I used to think Link didn't do too badly against Falcon, then I had the honor of playing the Falcons of such wonderful players like Darc, Cort, Scar and PC. You utilt they punish you, you nair they time a knee to knock you out of it (or a uair, or a nair, or a bair). You throw a projectile and he's already in your face, it's bad. Link's only saving grace is Falcon is easy to combo and easy to edgeguard. If you manage to LAND a utilt things get a lot better, but good falcon's just DD and wait/do unpunishable knees on your shield.

If you put him in his shield it starts getting a lot more winnable, but it's also really hard to put him in his shield. His shield is his dash dance and his roll is kneeing you in the face.

Also, the raptor boost can hit through the bair (and sometimes trade with weak nairs), which is really uncool.

Against Marth all you need to do is not get gimped a lot and you stand a chance, against Falcon you need him to mess up an approach or leave himself open, otherwise he will **** every move you throw out. At least Marth can't grab you and say "hey you don't have that stock anymore" at 90%.

Long story short, Falcon is harder than Marth. Marth is like, 60-40 or maybe 65-35 if we're doing matchupchartesque rankings. Falcon is somewhere in the region of 70-30 (he's really close to Fox/Falco/Sheik).

Edit: The Falcon matchup is worse than all of Link's other high tier matchups.

Scar

#HarveyDent
good summary skler, and what people don't notice when they don't play at high levels is the rarity of certain events that are favorable to your character, i.e. it's easy to combo falcon but how often do you even hit them when they're really really good at not getting hit??

Spife

Smash Master
Scar, we're mm'ing then next time I see you for real. We haven't played in a while, and you better not hold back!
200 pesos *****!

also; GUYS WE"RE TALKING ABOUT SHEIK RIGHT NAO!

ppig

Smash Journeyman
i say falcon is easy just becuase link gays him so well when he is off the edge. other wise if he keeps tap reseting and grabing you thier is not much you can do but try and get away.

just throwing out nairs and messing his combos up with bombs works the best even when the bomb doesnt hit him it bounces of his shield forceing him to roll away.

the bomb drop is especially good for this as most people are to fasinated by the bomb they will jump and try and grab it lol also works if u place random bombs on platforms they just gotta get it lol example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpU_qZJIF6A&feature=channel_page . then u throw a boomarang and hopefully grab him before his is off kneeing again QQ.

Bummerz

Smash Apprentice
a suggestion. can we throw in situationals too for each charaters for those who go to turnys. like fr example whatwould be good t bn vs certain charaers ect and where to take some one that wuold give youan advantage... becaue its link hi slow *** needs all the help can get

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
so when does the actuall "lets talk about this charcater for a week" starts?

I actually can't wait for the Falcon week =D

Skler

Smash Master
I've already said pretty much everything I have to say about Sheik. It would be wise to go Fox or Falco next, just sort of walk down the Link's bad matchup tier list. Then we can also yell at each other about which matchups are worse.

Spife

Smash Master
I'll get on organizing the shiek info and hopefully by this weekend put it in first post.

Bummerz

Smash Apprentice
i say falcon is easy just becuase link gays him so well when he is off the edge. other wise if he keeps tap reseting and grabing you thier is not much you can do but try and get away.

just throwing out nairs and messing his combos up with bombs works the best even when the bomb doesnt hit him it bounces of his shield forceing him to roll away.

the bomb drop is especially good for this as most people are to fasinated by the bomb they will jump and try and grab it lol also works if u place random bombs on platforms they just gotta get it lol example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpU_qZJIF6A&feature=channel_page . then u throw a boomarang and hopefully grab him before his is off kneeing again QQ.
its not that ez to guard flcn recovery when they are beas at sweet spoting, knee u when u try to nair (if u dont space it right) and have mad tech skill. trust me notas ez a it sounds

Top Bottom