• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Link Match Up Thread: Fox time!

Spife

Smash Master
its not that ez to guard flcn recovery when they are beas at sweet spoting, knee u when u try to nair (if u dont space it right) and have mad tech skill. trust me notas ez a it sounds
Ftilt would like to have a word with falcon's recovery.

Spife

Smash Master
this is the least specific "helpful" thread i've ever seen

that being said this is easily my favorite matchup thread to date LOL
"nair more" is possibly the best answer for every match up save...3 of them.

I agree with gimpy, I went through and found TWO things about sheik.

STEP IT THE **** UP LINK BOARDS!

Shiek info is in gais. needs moar.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
sooo. on first post for counterpcking a sheik it says don't go to Final Destination or Dreamland and to pick somehwere like rainbow cruise or a place with a wall to tech off of. so counter with PS (the changed phases mostly all have walls ie windmill cliff and tree thing) corneria? poke floats? i mean there arnt really that many stages with walls. i would say maybe FoD because the moving platforms might mess up the chain grabs but then again. with sheiks tilts. thats probably not smart. so anyone got specific stages where link has the advantage vs sheik?

Spife

Smash Master
That's what i want to talk about next.
Skler says FoD isn't that bad but he'll come in soon enough and tell us how he lost to drephen cause both the platforms went away. >___>;

This is the irony of me owning this thread, as I don't know a lot about match up theory, like I know what I'm going to do the next time I play which ever character, but that's just me. Skler is best fit to answer that question but where do you guys take shieks?

last time I played a shiek...random'd FoD (lost there) then I cp'd yoshi's...not entirely sure why now that I look back on it.

Skler

Smash Master
I lost to Drephen for a lot of reasons, the platforms going away last stock when he got a grab just didn't help at all. I'm also pretty sure it was just the second game, I don't remember very welllll.

Pick FoD or RC for Sheik. If neither of those are really available YS is good to not get CGed, but battlefield is also ok (but it gimps your recovery a bit).

Spife

Smash Master
I like the way the shiek forums are doing their match up thread, a link to a post for the match up, I might do that so the first post isn't some ganked helpless individual.

We done with sheik? What is this? NOT grand central station? Come on guys! NEEDS MORE INFO!!! Sheik can't be summed up in "don't get cg'd, fight back". What are the percents you can downthrow up-b sheik? ANYONE?!?!?!?!?!?

Spife

Smash Master
*sighs* this is true, Fox is next guys. Last chance to post sheik info. FOR EVER.

Skler

Smash Master
Double poster!

I'm telling the mods.

Against Fox you just jab SH approaches and utilt/uair full jumped approaches. If you have to approach you do lots of nairs/spaced fairs into utilts/jabs. If you hit him you combo him, if not you just try and try again. Link can't really spam projectiles vs Fox, but having a boomerang out and a bomb in hand is always a nice thing to do whenever possible.

DI uthrows behind Fox and smash DI towards him during the uair, etc etc. Not much to do in this matchup except spam the safe moves and combo well. Don't be surprised if you can't combo him until around 40%, but once you hit 40 if you land a uair/utilt/dash attack you had better take the stock or at least get him up to 80. You don't get many chances with Fox.

Spife

Smash Master
I'll make sure it continues. Needs more discussion imo.

In fact, if you want to see it continued, help me by bumping like once a week as I really shouldn't be double posting like I did up there >.>

I'll get back to this with SOME fox advice here or there, as I'm beginning to attack that match up with 3 characters.

Random Fox snippit: Stos and I were discussing the use of bombs once, I don't think this will work at higher levels but always fun at the intermediates. Pull a bomb and hold onto it. Some times (read: intermediate) Fox's wont want to approach cause that will stop them and, if the percents right, set them up for your approach. Now they can pew pew and force you to approach, and pew pew the bomb, but, and this is why I'm writing this, some times they like to shine. Which is cute cause I'm pretty sure for the shine to not get punished they'd have to claw or power shield (but with the shine). Always a fun party trick is to, when you know they're going to shine (it's pretty easy to ready their body language imo) sh > bomb upthrow (or drop) > land/wave land > grab > looool. I guess you could lead with an aerial too (in case they bait).

Don't abuse this though, as it would be so easy to bait it's not even funny and the last thing you need to do is get upsmashed.

I forget how I slept last night, so that's probably not very coherent. I'm hungry. I'm go to bed you got classes in under 8 hours.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Against fox, DON'T **** UP YOUR EDGEGUARD, especially if you start playing falcos. That extra edge to his up+b really helps his recovery. Obviously learn the ftilt hit, and if he's coming from above to sweetspot the edge, you might wanna take a quick glance. Where to? YOUR OPPONENTS CONTROLLER. Just the quickest glance to see which way they're holding the stick. Now if you don't trust yourself to keep up with the match, or they're sitting behind you don't try it. It's not worth it if you miss it. This can help you decide whether to hang over the edge with an Up+B, or just try the nair and such to keep him off.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
Things like "Screen looking" are always considered cheating in multiplayer splitscreen games. wouldn't "controller looking" or whatever be considered cheating as well?

Spife

Smash Master
^play to win
iirc some japanese player was doing it to guess techs but the other player hid their controller to well so he stopped.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Hog ledge if you think they'll try a Mew2King angle.

If they come up not doing M2K angle you can probably Nair them.

If they come up doing pseudo-M2K angle (close-to-M2K-angle-but-still-able-to-reach-stage) then you can probably Uair --> another move and try to combo them back off or maybe kill them.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Hog ledge if you think they'll try a Mew2King angle.

If they come up not doing M2K angle you can probably Nair them.

If they come up doing pseudo-M2K angle (close-to-M2K-angle-but-still-able-to-reach-stage) then you can probably Uair --> another move and try to combo them back off or maybe kill them.
Fwiw I generally Ftilt if they're coming low, or the FOOT of the nair. Unless you're gimping falcos HIT WITH THE FOOT. You'll just get set on fire if you don't.
Also, nair illusions moar.

I also generally Bair>nair alot against foxes shield pressure foxes alot. As long as you make sure you're not to close to the shield, you're not gonna get shined before the nair comes out, and then you're gonna be able to nick him and get away.

Also, Nairs, nairs, jabs, and moar nairs against spacies.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
Okay i had the sickest thing happen. I threw a bomb at my friend as he was charging up the firefox. the bomb caught on the edge of the flames and started rolling there. fox was getting damage but wasnt hit outof the firefox until he actually started to move toward the stage, hit the bomb, and was sent flying backwards and then it was an easy task just to edge hog. ive done this twice so far. it seems to be pretty much luck on getting the bomb right at the edge of the firefox. still, pretty cool eh?

Spife

Smash Master
Blarg, going to update first post soon and move on. Dropped the ball, my b guys.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
Things like "Screen looking" are always considered cheating in multiplayer splitscreen games. wouldn't "controller looking" or whatever be considered cheating as well?
this reminds me of when i was playing smash against a friend, and it was really quiet.

i was fox and he was sheik, he was like 100%+ and on the ledge and i was on the stage trying to find out how he would get up to punish.

since it was extremely quiet, when he pressed L to roll up, i could tell that that sound was specifically the L button, so I moved into position and proceeded to raep with an UPsmash... too good.

he was all like.. **** this lets put some music on

HiIH

Smash Lord
Since nothing else is going on in this thread...

How do you guys projectile spam against fox? Do you generally try to stay above him with nairs and keep your boomerang low, or try to make him nair through your boomerang when you throw it high, and stop him with jabs and such on the ground?

EDIT-What I'm really interested in is what you guys do with projectiles against Falco, especially on FD.

Spife

Smash Master
vs falco, I try to get a projectile out, bomb is choice but if a boomerang can make the falco stop and think or stop the lasers, so much the better.

Top Bottom