• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Zink

Smash Champion
@psyk- adult Link only.
@saberhof- Why? Heard of Navi? Tatl? King of Red Lions? In fact, when has an apparently helpful character been anything but a helpful character?

saberhof

Smash Master
@psyk- adult Link only.
@saberhof- Why? Heard of Navi? Tatl? King of Red Lions? In fact, when has an apparently helpful character been anything but a helpful character?
yeah, but i had info on em and what they were and stuff. just a thought, midna has a more evil look...

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Shiek's gender is debatable, but I think we can agree it's a girl. While some text in the game says "He" or whatever in reference to Shiek, it's usually not said by someone who would actually know.
This is how the argument goes.

Given

Sheik=Zelda in disguise

Zelda=girl

therefore sheik =girl. How can you possibly debate over that?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Sheik=Zelda in disguise

Zelda=girl

Shiek=Masculine

So people think the gender was changed.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
I always thought the various references to Sheik as "he" were meant to give the impression that it was a good disguise. I mean, the whole point was that she was passing herself off as a guy, so it wouldn't make much sense if folks didn't refer to her as such. As for any Nintendo references to Sheik, I would assume they resulted from Nintendo's efforts not to reveal plot points. Hence why Nintendo could refer to Sheik as a "her" in Smash relatively safely. But hey, that's just how I read it.

As for Midna/Ganon/Gannondorf, I just don't see it. But I haven't played the game yet, so perhaps I will. I would say that it would be nice to see a completely new character, though. I mean, the Zelda series repeats a lot of the same elements from game to game, which I like, but the new elements are what keeps it from going stale, in my opinnion.

Heh heh, I just had a thought. Midna is really Navi in disguise. She's come back to make you LISTEN.

Andy

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
GAW, you have to link to the video itself, that just leads to a list. Plus there aren't new vids on that list.
My bad, but there are new videos on that list. It just takes a second to load and you can see all four new TP videos, but I know you internet folk aren't very patient, so here ya go:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=14713&type=mov

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=14712&type=mov

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=14711&type=mov

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=14710&type=mov

Enjoy, if they aren't old by now.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sheik was never mentioned by any character in game, at least that I can remember. The only place where Sheik was said to be a "he" (that I remember) was in the instruction booklet, simply to preserve story elements.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, and why would Nintendo be trying to "hide plot points" with Sheik when they bluntly stated that Sheik was Zelda in disguise?
Also, the King of Red Lions had his own purpose. Navi was commanded to help Link, as well.
And Tatl wanted to save her brother.
They all had reasons for helping. Not selfish, no, but still purposes.
I think Midna's is more significant than that, or at least more complicated.

"Shiek=Masculine"
(Except in Melee when she has hips that guys just don't have normally, as well as legs that seem distinctly girlish...People who played that game that had no knowledge of Sheik's identity knew she was a girl off the bat--though this could be because it was, ya know, Zelda in disguise...thus being a girl...And, well, she can also bend in ways guy can't...though I suppose Captain Falcon can do that, too...)

Speaking of Sheik, what do you think about Zelda's role in TP? You think she'll have some cool role like that again, helping Link out instead of sitting around? What about the Sheikah tribe?

Zink

Smash Champion
That last vid was funny... a Western theme...
The latest TP says Midna obviously knows more than she's telling, and seems to have her own agenda. Dunno what's up with her.
I think we saw some concept art of Zelda with a rapier a while ago. As for the Sheikah... kinda doubt it. Seems like the kind of thing Nin would drop in a trailer, like end a scene with a close up of the eye symbol.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
That last vid was funny... a Western theme...
The latest TP says Midna obviously knows more than she's telling, and seems to have her own agenda. Dunno what's up with her.
I think we saw some concept art of Zelda with a rapier a while ago. As for the Sheikah... kinda doubt it. Seems like the kind of thing Nin would drop in a trailer, like end a scene with a close up of the eye symbol.
There's an eye symbol on the back of Zelda's cloak.

Zink

Smash Champion
Hmm... that could be a sign of the Sheikah... but don't forget, the Sheikah were extinct in OoT, and this is supposed to be after.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's the symbol of the "Truth" bit.
But yea, it wouldn't surprise me if they incorporated Sheikahs in there somehow.
Also, it wasn't a rapier, it was more like a longsword or something...
It was thin, but it wasn't a rapier.
I'm totally diggin' the character design of Zelda, she looks even cooler in the game. And who'd have thunk we'd ever see her in a dreary black cloak?
Then again, who thought we'd ever be seeing Link turn into a wolf?

The rAt

Smash Ace
Mic, I believe Ruto refers to Sheik as a male, after "he" assists her.

Destiny Smasher, I see what you mean, but Sheik being masculine does not make her a man. It wouldn't be a very good disguise if she was trying to pass herself off as a man, but her disguise wasn't very masculine. As far as spoiling plot points, when precisely did Nintendo overtly say that Shiek was Zelda in disguise? The reason I ask, is because I wouldn't think Nintendo would hold on to it's precious plot points for long after the game was released, but before the game is released, it would be kinda stupid to give away the payoff, wouldn't it?

Anyhow, sorry to feed a side discussion, especially one which has already been brought up so often, but I likes my debates.

More on topic, however, I thought the Sheikahs had supposedly died off?

Andy

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
The rat, you apparently missed the sarcasm, as I wasn;t the one who originally said Sheik = masculine.
I was pointing out a bunch of reasons why I thought Sheik WASN'T masculine.

Nintendo said that Sheik was a girl in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Of course, Melee's character design of Sheik was CLEARLY more feminine than OoT's, and her movements and poses were also clearly feminine. While SSB isn't in the Zelda series, it IS Nintendo, and I doubt they'd put false information on their own characters in their own game.

Furthermore, I missed a point to Sheik's femine traits--it's a harp.

"Riiiight...And that's a dress."

Yea, looking back, I was like, "Oh, duh, Link transformed into a bunny!" But still, who saw them bringing that animal transformation idea back and taking it to an actual gameplay standpoint?

Rabiteman

Smash Cadet
A little over here, a little over there, and maybe
They said it's something like, a hundred years after the happenings in OoT and MM. That was in one of the Nintendo Powers, I think. Also, wasn't Impa the last of the Sheikah tribe? I thought that was what one of the Stones of Truth said or something. Hmm, if Impa was the last of the Sheikah and she became the sage of shadow, that means they went extinct in OoT.

The rAt

Smash Ace
Lol, yes I did miss that sarcasm, Destiny Smasher. I got distracted by shiny lights. It happens.

Anyhow, I really thought it was established that this was took place after OoT, because I remember finding it interesting that they said it was after OoT and MM, but not Wind Waker. Of course, I could be wrong. But I hope not, because that doesn't do anything for my credibility. Oooh, shiny lights!

Sorry,but anyone who thought shiek was a guy should jump into a garbage truck..

How can you magically change your genetic code by transforming into a shinobi esque fighter? And even if you did,i don't believe that she could just get the"appendages" a male would have in lue of a few seconds.Not to mention here physical stature great resemblance of a women.

As stated before:

Shiek=Zelda=Girl.

It's common sense,not a sex change operation.=/

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
OoT and Majora's Mask are the only ones I can remember with an actually continuous plot. As for where TP lies, it must be after Majora's Mask, or a seperate story altogether: The reason being is that Link is quite obviously older in TP than he left off in either OoT or MM. The problem with this is that he's a farm boy... Has he always been a farm boy? We'll see.

Zeroshift

Smash Rookie
all i will say is:
WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have been watching this game since it came out, and the news that it would be launched WITH the wii was happy for me indeed( since i have a deal with someone that if i get half the money he will pay the other half[i.e wii- 250$+twilight princess-50$ + earn 150$= i get wii with twilight princess on LAUNCH DAY! woot]) thing i'm gonna love about this game is: mounted combat

The rAt

Smash Ace
Paranoid Android, I thought LoZ 1 and 2 were linked (pun not intended, but very much enjoyed). Actually, I thought LA and LttP were linked too (the main reason being Link mistaking Marin for Zelda). And of course the Oracle games, but I always forget them because they don't take place in Hyrule.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Paranoid Android, I thought LoZ 1 and 2 were linked (pun not intended, but very much enjoyed). Actually, I thought LA and LttP were linked too (the main reason being Link mistaking Marin for Zelda). And of course the Oracle games, but I always forget them because they don't take place in Hyrule.
Do you mean the original and that weird Side-Scrolling one, or the original and Link to the Past? I never played the side-scrolling one, so you might be right.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I saw the pic that was labeled as a spoiler, and wow. . .why the heck is he topless? Nintendo, your constant catering to the female fanbase has now officially crossed the line. Fie on thee, for shame.

Anyways, here's hoping that the graphics and locales for TP look good. From the pic above, they seem alright. . .it's just that after playing Shadow of the Colossus, most picturesque, open videogame landscapes seem to pale in comparison.

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
That's funny, lol. Aw man, I know a certain girl who is going to love this game even more now, haha.

ONE WEEK 'til the midnight opening of the release of the Nintendo Wii and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess!!! *orgasms*

The rAt

Smash Ace
Well, I hope you guys are happy. You've single-handedly ruined the entire game for me. Now that I've seen Link without a shirt on, there are just no surprises left...
(Sarcasm, in case you were wondering)

As far as catering to the female fanbase, I'm okay with that. But to be fair, if they're going to show Link without a shirt on...

Sick. Shame on me for joking about that.

On a serious note, looks like this takes place pretty early on, as he's not in his 'hero' attire yet.

Do you mean the original and that weird Side-Scrolling one, or the original and Link to the Past? I never played the side-scrolling one, so you might be right.
Yes I did mean the original and the side scrolling one. But separately from that, I also meant to say that I think Link to the Past is connected with Link's Awakening.

Zink

Smash Champion
I think the closest anyone came to a self-coherent timeline went like this:
OoT-(very little time)->MM-(100 years)->WW-(shorter than 100 years, but stilll long)->LoZ-(from now on, unjudgable timespan, but presumed shortish)->LoZ2-->LttP-->LA
Four Swords doesn't really fit, it's sort of a side story.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
The pic that DS showed doesn't look very......... good. It looks like they got Link's head and put it on some shirtless guy's body.

However, the other pic (the landscape) looks great. I'm a sucker for nice looking landscapes and that one really works.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Landscape looks pretty...
The best they ever did on the N64 was make little balls of light float everywhere that glow at night (heh, 10 years ago, everyone thought that was the greatest thing ever) and make the mon and sun move faster than Link.
In Wind Waker, Hyrule was underwater and it was DEAD. No life or music at all. It was just kinda depressing.

The rAt

Smash Ace
You know, what would be very interesting? If this game had a 'hero of time' in it. Not as in Link from OoT. But rather, a Link that would fit all of the references made in Wind Waker. Because then we could have a coherent timeline that works backwards from Zelda 1 and 2 (assuming every even game was the continuation of the previous odd game). Then the order would be as follows; TP-Sequel, then WW-(Minish Cap?), Oracle games (if you want to count them), OoT-MM, LttP-Link's Awakening, Zelda1-Zelda2(the sidescroller). Now of course this is not going to happen. And it would leave the inevitable question of where all the water went to after WW. And there are probably other problems I am forgetting. But it would be interesting if Nintendo had tried to go that route. Or could go that route in the future. Ect. Goodnight.

Top Bottom