• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Chill

Red
BRoomer
The GC version of Twilight Princess is being delayed until December 11th. Apparently Nintendo thinks it will affect sales of the Wii if the two were released side by side.

Somehow I think their concern is unecessary.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
I will admit, the new changes sound great. The game is sounding a lot better since E3, now that they are more fully integrating the Wii mechanisms into the gamplay.

I already have $300 right here in my hand for a Wii and Zelda. Who gets my money is a matter of who I notice giving out pre-orders first, I suppose...(Well, more like $340, once you take into account tax and shipping...)

Um...They wouldn't be getting Zelda GCN for free...

Anyway, I find it real odd the GCN version is being delayed, myself...
Ah, well. I guess now that I've made my decision, it's irrelevant to me...

I really love how I still know next to nothing about this game.
Good times. =)

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
The GC version of Twilight Princess is being delayed until December 11th. Apparently Nintendo thinks it will affect sales of the Wii if the two were released side by side.

awww snap. :(

Ah well, I've been waiting this long already.

Rabiteman

Smash Cadet
A little over here, a little over there, and maybe

WHAAAAAAAT!?!?!? ARRRGH! I thought I was going to finally get to play it and now I have to waitanother month. CURSE YOU NINTENDO!!!

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
You know, it really is a good thing Nintendo's trying to recruit casual gamers, what with taking a crap on fans and all.

Not to say all fans, because obviously a good deal of people have already declared their intent to buy a Wii. And while those buying a Wii most likely make up a good portion of the established fans demographic, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that current Gamecube owners basically are the demographic. And the truth is, not everyone with a Gamecube has an extra $250 lying around to go out and upgrade to a Wii. So basically, as far as I can see, Nintendo is communicating that, regardless of previous history of product loyalty, if you don't upgrade off the bat, you get short-changed. Thanks, Nintendo.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
So rat, you're basically saying that Nintendo is punishing those who want to wait, by making them wait? Oh the pain.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nintendo is rewarding early-adopters with Zelda 3 weeks ahead.

In the process, though, they are punishing people who won't adopt early.
But come on, the GCN is dead, they need to bolster the Wii sales.

You can wait 3 weeks after waiting 3 years, methinks.
Maybe just...avoid the internet, or something...
I know that I won't be spoiling a bloody thing.

Dude, but I think the game is already done--this blind kid who uses echolocation got a Wii and Zelda recently from a talk show with Ellen Degenres.
Underwood was his last name...forget his first...

So the game must be finished and they're just manufacturing now.
But, dude, how can a blind kid, even if he uses echolocation, play a ZELDA game?
His sounds will just bounce off the TV...
Fighting games I can understand, but...

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
That's a big honking sword, it looks as tall as Link. I was considering trying to switch hands, even though I'm severely right-handed, but now I won't need to. That's actually a bit of a let down, I was looking forward to testing out how switching hands would work with this new controller, but since I'm not ambidextrous it's better on the whole. But now I'm wondering, if you start spazzing out, like during a boss battle, and swing the sword wildly, will that still translate all right on screen? I don't spaz out like that, but my brother always does, I want to see what will happen when he does. That does suck for the people who don't/can't buy a Wii at launch, they've only been waiting for it on GC for what, three years now? I suppose if they've waited that long, they can hold out another month, it'll just suck if any of the story gets spoiled by then.

I think Nin is releasing the GC version later exactly because they want people to try out the controls, because of the Wii's backwards compatibiltiy. I've seen several people say they'll only be getting TP at launch, and Nin wants to prevent any naysayers from playing the GC version on the Wii with GC controllers, forcing them to play with Wii controls unless they want to wait longer. Not to mention, younger kids who don't have the money for a Wii at launch will have to wait to get one, or might not even be real aware of everything, so instead their parents can just get them TP for the GC at Xmas instead of the Wii, which will cost five times as much.

EDIT: I just noticed that the sword that Darknut is holding is the same one Ganon holds up when you win with him in Smash. I wonder if that's really just a plain old Darknut... it could even be Ganon in disguise, or Phantom Ganon, or plenty of other things, actually...

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
You know, it really is a good thing Nintendo's trying to recruit casual gamers, what with taking a crap on fans and all.

Not to say all fans, because obviously a good deal of people have already declared their intent to buy a Wii. And while those buying a Wii most likely make up a good portion of the established fans demographic, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that current Gamecube owners basically are the demographic. And the truth is, not everyone with a Gamecube has an extra $250 lying around to go out and upgrade to a Wii. So basically, as far as I can see, Nintendo is communicating that, regardless of previous history of product loyalty, if you don't upgrade off the bat, you get short-changed. Thanks, Nintendo.
Yeah that extra two weeks of waiting that saves you 250 dollars is definitely not worth your time. Nintendo is screwing you hardcore.

If gaming companies didn't attempt to get larger fanbases, they would die. In a generation where bigger and better specs are what decides the fate of a console, Nintendo chose a different road. It'll be either a huge success, or a crash and burn, but from what I've seen, the majority of gamers I've talked to think that the Wii's going to pwn, and that's not counting the "casual" crowd they're going for, or even the non-gamers.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
So if the Wii is guaranteed to be such a hit why delay the GC version?

New consoles always sell out regardless and this just looks like a really selfish decision to me. I know that no video game company is the fun-loving happy go lucky group they like to appear to be, but making GC owners wait another month(not two weeks) is just dumb.

While the decision won't affect me personally it sucks for anyone not getting a Wii at launch.

8-bit hacker

Smash Cadet

New consoles always sell out regardless and this just looks like a really selfish decision to me. I know that no video game company is the fun-loving happy go lucky group they like to appear to be, but making GC owners wait another month(not two weeks) is just dumb.

While the decision won't affect me personally it sucks for anyone not getting a Wii at launch.
Think about this. The Wii comes out a week before Black Friday. If there are no GC LoZ:TP then people are going to be more inclined to purchase the Wii version instead. The Consumer will have to decide on either picking up a Wii and TP. Or then can be a loser and wait for the GC copy of TP. It doesn't affect you at all so that's cool. But seeing as the large majority of people who aren't as intelligent as you are see that there is a Wii version, they are most likely going to get that rather then wait.

Marketing.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord

You have to understand that the vast majority of customers aren't the intelligent, in-the-know, gamers that you and the rest of this forum make up. They're the idiots for whom marketing is targetted (And I'm not saying that I'm not influenced by it - how would we know what the companies have to offer if not for marketing? But I don't let any company decide for me.)

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Think about this. The Wii comes out a week before Black Friday. If there are no GC LoZ:TP then people are going to be more inclined to purchase the Wii version instead. The Consumer will have to decide on either picking up a Wii and TP. Or then can be a loser and wait for the GC copy of TP. It doesn't affect you at all so that's cool. But seeing as the large majority of people who aren't as intelligent as you are see that there is a Wii version, they are most likely going to get that rather then wait.

Marketing.
Oh I know the reasoning behind it, it just isn't necessary. The Wii is going to sell out anyways so there is no reason to delay the GC version. Early adopters don't need incentive which is what this is.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
While you have a point, Chill, in that the Wii will most likely sell-out, Nintendo wants to keep a steady stream going for those weeks afterward.

Oh, and by the way...

but making GC owners wait another month(not two weeks) is just dumb.
Isn't it three weeks and not a month?
If you're going to be picky, get it right. =P

But yea, especially when you consider that the Wii will sell out, regardless, it is kind of odd, now that I think of it...

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I don't think they've had to, they've been working on the GC longer (read: too long), and for a game as big as this, Nin could easily just add a few more people to the dev team, maybe one team for GC and one for Wii.

Uchiharakiri

Smash Journeyman
Nandeska?

"The Consumer will have to decide on either picking up a Wii and TP. Or then can be a loser and wait for the GC copy of TP." "It doesn't affect you at all so that's cool. But seeing as the large majority of people who aren't as intelligent as you are see that there is a Wii version, they are most likely going to get that rather then wait."

Marketing.
Be a loser and wait for the GC copy of TP? Wait we're losers now? No, last I checked you got what you said wrong. The Wii TP is a GC copy of the GC TP, and not an accurate one at that, since when has Link been right handed with his sword anyways; but that's just a tiny wee bit detail regardless.

Doesn't affect us who are smarter than a large majority of people? Do you have any idea or remember what happened when FF7 came out and people figured out you can use the Internets to spoil endings. I seriously hope TP can't be beaten in less than 3 weeks or so or I might start worrying I'd have to start dodging internet morons left and right throwing Twilight Princess variations of AERIS DIES or SNAPE KILLED **********. Such is one truth of those of us having to wait for the GC version, because I'm pretty **** sure I'd be more at home playing it on a GC controller than the Wii.

Wii is great and all, but like it's been said, if I want Zelda for the Wii, I'll wait for the Zelda they're working on for it -right now-. And on a closing note, I'll highlight words of interest in the following quote.

Nintendo’s Vice President for Corporate Affairs, has confirmed that it will indeed be released on the GameCube: “...we feel a /\commitment/\ to the /\GameCube owners/\/ who’ve been /\patiently awaiting/\ this new Zelda title, and don’t want to /\force/\ them to /\wait/\ and buy a brand new system in order to play the game.”

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Well Nintendo did say the game was made easier at E3 so people could play it...

Bread-Butterer

Smash Ace
The difficulty doesn't concern me, it's the sword fighting. I can't believe Nintendo would map it so simply as to make it function as a single button press when you swing the remote.. that makes me seriously consider getting the GC version.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I completely agree. I was worried about the same thing the blog said, that even though you're moving the Wiimote for the sword, it would still be locked into the same basic combo as the A button in WW or OoT. (I'd been wondering how the Wiimote would do that sword plant finishing move.) Just wiggling the Wiimote to do a set combo, a facet of the combat I'd always regretted in Zelda, sounds extremely boring, mashing the A button sounds more exciting. It makes sense that they'd tone down the difficulty for E3 demos and other places, for the naysayers who after only ten seconds would proclaim it a failure, and just so people could finish the demo more quickly so the line would move quickly also. On the other hand, someone posted a link to an article that said the small, flicking movements worked out very well. Oh well, whenever we get to play it ourselves, it could all come down to opinion, so who knows?

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Wow... That's trippy. The entire map is reversed in the Wii version so that Link can be right handed? It seems like they could reverse just his model.

As for combos, I would hope that whatever you did with the Wiimote translated realistically to the screen. If you thrust forwards, Link should do the same. If you Slice horizontally, it should appear so. You don't build three axis accelerometers and set a sensor bar for pointing under your TV so that you can wiggle a stick around and pretend it's sufficient.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Another nail enters the coffin. Are you ready? Here we go.....

After literally years of questioning which format The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess would end up on, Nintendo has committed strongly to the Wii version these past few months. Not to be outdone by previous downgrades, it now appears that the GameCube version of Twilight Princess will sell in Japan - exclusively online.

Nintendo have an official online store, through which Japanese gamers can buy up their gaming needs to their heart's content. The GC Twilight Princess will be available only through this channel. This is both good and bad news - Japanese gamers can now avoid the confusing mess that is in-store retailing, we all know how hard it is to walk into a store and pick up something to take to the cash register) but it also could mean more planned downgrades.

It will be easier for for customers to decide between the two versions if there is only one on the shelf - and give that extra nudge to those considering a Wii purchase.

Thankfully with Nintendo of Australia being, well, crap, there's a good chance that we'll still get a Gamecube version of it. Unless they just decide "**** it, we just won't get any for them."

So much for the cubes last hurrah. If anything, the last release is going to sum up the entire cubes life. Strong start, caught a cold, then getting sicker over the years, lapse into a coma, then when it's time to pull the plug, they decide thay can't even be bothered to say goodbye.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
After literally years of questioning which format The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess would end up on, Nintendo has committed strongly to the Wii version these past few months. Not to be outdone by previous downgrades, it now appears that the GameCube version of Twilight Princess will sell in Japan - exclusively online.

Nintendo have an official online store, through which Japanese gamers can buy up their gaming needs to their heart's content. The GC Twilight Princess will be available only through this channel. This is both good and bad news - Japanese gamers can now avoid the confusing mess that is in-store retailing, we all know how hard it is to walk into a store and pick up something to take to the cash register) but it also could mean more planned downgrades.

It will be easier for for customers to decide between the two versions if there is only one on the shelf - and give that extra nudge to those considering a Wii purchase.

Thankfully with Nintendo of Australia being, well, crap, there's a good chance that we'll still get a Gamecube version of it. Unless they just decide "**** it, we just won't get any for them."

So much for the cubes last hurrah. If anything, the last release is going to sum up the entire cubes life. Strong start, caught a cold, then getting sicker over the years, lapse into a coma, then when it's time to pull the plug, they decide thay can't even be bothered to say goodbye.
Wow...
gg no re Gamecube. :\

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I'm not surprised. At this point, probably the very few who are determined to play TP on GC are those who are still burning pics of the Wiimote, unless they aren't getting a Wii for several months for other reasons.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'm just waiting for Nintendo to cancel the GC version completely. If you're downloading the game will it not be saved on your hardrive? Meaning Japan doesn't even have a GC version anymore but a PC version.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
What are you talking about, Chill? You can't download GCN games. He means ordering it online. Like, you know, ordering the disc and having it shipped to your house? Yeah.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
actually, nintendo recently stated something about downloadable Wii games, they might be doing it for GC games as well. Not sure though, get someone better informed to tell you b/c I'm too lazy to look it up.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
What are you talking about, Chill? You can't download GCN games. He means ordering it online. Like, you know, ordering the disc and having it shipped to your house? Yeah.
. .

Thanks a lot. Really.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I thought I read it would be downloaded not ordered. I guess not. :D

Osco stop doing that.

Never.

supersmashboy

Smash Lord
Honestly, if waiting a few weeks to get the Gamecube version of TP because the Wii version is somehow unacceptable(or if you don't want a Wii, which is more understandable), you must be the most impatient people on the planet.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I will agree that it is kind of impatient, but at the same time, it IS unfair to GCN owners who have been holding out for it.
All the same, business-wise, it's a very smart move on their behalf.

And I honestly do NOT believe TP will suck on Wii. It just won't, Nintendo has put WAY too much into this project to let it slide by all tacky-like. It will have a learning curve, to be sure, but so did Metroid Prime Hunters. And sorry to Halo, but once I got over the learning curve, I found MPH more intuitive.

I don't know if swinging a sword in Zelda will be like this, but aiming will be, I hope, and fishing may actually keep me entertained this time around. My friggin' DAD might even have fun with it, and he hates video games.

Top Bottom