• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Link starts off in a village near hyrule. Doesn't mean he (and posibly other villagers) can't be hylian in origin.

EDIT: Actually, I don't remember many people in OoT that had the big ears other than Link and Zelda anyway.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Malon had pointy ears, didn't she?

I hate to make the exact same statement in reverse, but I really don't remember many people NOT having pointy ears. However, it has been almost a year since my last play through.

Personally, what I'm curious about are the Gerudo, though. I mean the Kokiri (Koroks), the Zora (Rito?), and the Gorons were all given the nod in WW, but no sign of the Gerudo. I want to know what happened to them. Did they all just devolve into Moblins, or what?

In any case, in OoT, Link was living with, and for all purposes believed himself to be a Kokiri. But as soon as he pulled out that Master Sword and aged seven years, he found out he was Hylian. Perhaps this is a similar scenario?

Andy

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Personally, what I'm curious about are the Gerudo, though. I mean the Kokiri (Koroks), the Zora (Rito?), and the Gorons were all given the nod in WW, but no sign of the Gerudo. I want to know what happened to them. Did they all just devolve into Moblins, or what?
Well, they were all women, and Ganondorf was gone for a very long time...

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, I'm a huge Malon fan, and Malon definitely has pointy ears.
I don't remember peopl ein OoT not having pointy ears. I got so used to it, that's why I didn't even notice with the people of Link's village.

However, look at those two clown dorks--they have pointy ears.

So it's definitely a Hylian/'human' thing goin' on.

I'm definitely curious to see what types of abilities they give Link in his wolf form.
Do you think maybe the reason the Twilight Realm is all rich and what-not is to sort of be artistic with the fact that wolves have heightened senses?

Man, I really hope they bring back the Zelda Overworld theme proper, and hopefully re-do the Dark Overworld theme--that was one of my favorites from a Zelda game, and I think it'd work really well.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
While female, they still must have been able to breed since Ganondorf did come from them (admittedly, 2 witches, but still...)

The rAt

Smash Ace
After pondering this for a moment, I'm beginning to think that Gannondorf's absence shouldn't affect things too much. After all, how did the Gerudos survive for the 100 years before Gannondorf? However they did, its probably how they survived after him as well. After all, they only have another 100 years to wait until the next male is born. Which of course begs the question, who will be the father? Or for that matter, who is Gannondorf's father? I think any natural explaination for any of these things is going to get very messy, very quickly, so I guess for now I'm just going to have to say magic did it.

Magic is the answer and I'm sticking to it. Until I can come up with some wacky, half-baked idea. It'll be good, I swear.

Andy

kaid

Smash Master
Amazons, in greek myth, were an all female society that kidnapped males for the sole purpose of breeding, then killed them. Gerudos are an all female society that already has a reputation as theves and brigands...

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
I like Kaid's theory more than magic or advanced genetic technology.

And think--in just a matter of days, we may even know the launch day of TP, if Nintendo announces it at Leipzig.
Either way, I know they're gonna announce something interesting at Leipzig.
The journalists know something we don't, and they keep hinting that we'll be pleased.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
It's not a theory, it was confirmed in OoT. One of the guys inside the mask shop tells you that once a year the gerudos come into town looking for males. It's only once in 100 years that they give birth to a male themselves.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
It's not a theory, it was confirmed in OoT. One of the guys inside the mask shop tells you that once a year the gerudos come into town looking for males. It's only once in 100 years that they give birth to a male themselves.
Woa, I must have skipped that part...
Well honestly, the Gerudo's were the coolest of the 5 tribes(Kokiri's, Zora's, Gorons, Hylians and Gerudo's) so they should make a return in Twilight Princess...

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, George Harrison confirmed what we already figured...
I still wonder how Twilight Princess will play on the Wii, though...
If they're graphically/gameplay-wise the same game, I'm thinkin' I'll just get the GCN version and play it on my Wii with a Wavebird--not because I don't like innovation but because TP is just a regular Zelda game, not something that's actually changing.
TP was designed for the GCN, not the Wii.

And I guess I'm just rambling because I really wish people had more time with both versions at this point so that we could know which version was better for our preferences--ya know, BEFORE the game comes out, maybe?

Either way, the game has soem HUGE boots to fill. And I'm gonna be annoyed if it's not AAA material, etc. and gives OoT and Majora's Mask a run for their money. Because if it doesn't, they should've just released it a year ago. Or at least this past spring, or something,
Time will tell...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Shigeru Miyamoto disclosed to Japan's Nintendo Dream publication that instead of pushing the B button on the Wiimote for a sword swing in Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, the player will now control that movement with the motion of his or her arm. IGN says during E3 that Nintendo said players would get tired having to actually swing the controller, but now Miyamoto has changed his tune: "Upon actually playing it, it's more interesting this way."

There have also been changes to how the bow and arrow controls will work. At E3, you had to aim with the Wiimote and then shoot using the D pad. Now that the B button is freed, thanks to a sword overhaul, the B button will now release the arrow. Miyamoto said shooting with the D pad was too difficult. He also hinted that the Zelda at E3 was "just the tip of the nail."

According to IGN, Miyamoto also told Nintendo Dream that Nintendo may remake existing GameCube titles and add full Wiimote support. "The machine is based on GC," said Miyamoto. "We'll be upgrading the development tools, but GameCube code can be used for the most part as is. In that sense, I believe that it would be good to remake GameCube games for Wii, and that some titles would become better with the change to the Wii remote controller."

Miyamoto said these revamped GameCube titles would be sold at a lower price than normal Wii games.

Information from joystiq!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Chill said:
Using swinging actions to control the sword was determined to be "too hard" but i wouldn't be suprised if they went back on that.
Well, what do you know?

I think I still want the GC version. If I played the one for Wii it would feel like I was cheapening the experience of playing a Zelda built from the ground up for the Wii.

GC stuff would be better for the Wii topic so I'll post that there.

Rabiteman

Smash Cadet
A little over here, a little over there, and maybe
Well, I really, really want this game...on the Gamecube. The only things that worry me are if the Zoras and Dekus look as ******** as the Gorons and the difficulty level...It had absolutely better be harder than Wind Waker, otherwise...it'll get finished really soon when I play it.:ohwell: I'm sick of these new games being so darn easy. Oh, and it had better have the ocarina or some instrument with it playing like it did in the N64 games where you pressed r and got a flat blah, blah, blah. I liked to play songs from other games on it, hehehe.:)

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
And wow, isn't it amusing how I get blammed for a post that is critiquing a game that Nintendo has been glorifying to be the end-all be-all game?
Wow, thanks for that, whoever that was. Sorry, but Nintendo has shown us little to NOTHING concerning this game, and with the game a few months from coming out, you'd think we'd see more of it since they expect us to buy it.

Anyway, Nintendo says that they "prove their promise," and while I have faith that they WILL, I'm still waiting. As we all have been for a couple YEARS now.
If Nintendo needed to work on the game that much more, they shouldn't have been teasing us for the past 2.5 years about it. I'm sorry, but as glad as I'm going to be when I get the game, I'd be JUST as glad had I only known about it since last year's E3, only less annoyed with how long a wait.
I'm a very patient person, mind you, and I understand it takes time. What I don't understand is why they have yet to clue us in on hardly anything about the game.
In a way, I'm sure I'llbe thankful whjen it comes out, because then it will be full of mystery.

But Resident Evil 4 was full of mystery and surprises as well,but at least I knew enough about the game months before its launch so that I could determine I wanted to buy it.

I want to buy Twilight Princess, but I'm at a road block--I can't determine what version I want to purchase because I hardly know anything about how the Wii version will play or what differences will exist.
Furthermore, I really don't want to go through the hassle of pre-ordering, which, by the way, seems pointless to do right now since I don't even know the launch day or price of the Wii.
So I'm gonna be real irritated when the Wii comes out, I can't get one, and then Lord knows what I'll do concerning TP.

Anyway, I'm really not all that aggrevated, it's just that I see no point in being a blind fanboy (thus fuleing the bad rep Nintendo fanboys have) when I can be critical and expect more out of a company that has already done so much good--so that they'll be better.

Maybe Twilight Princess really WILL knock the pants off of OoT and all other past Zeldas. Wonderful. I just wish I could know that BEFORE I spend $50 on the version that is not as well-suited to my tastes.

Zink

Smash Champion
I'm definitely getting the Wii version, because I like the new controls and also my GCN has been having a bit of trouble lately.
I guess we'll all let each other know how each version plays!

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess so, but what I'm saying is that it doesn't do me any good when I want tobuy the game at launch.

And how do you like the controls? You've played it? 'Cuz Nintendo themself said "Playing = Believing," and I haven't been able to play it yet, so how am I supposed to believe it so much?
Every journalist I know who played it at E3 said it felt awkward and weird, and they didn't like it.
Though one pointed out that the E3 demo was forcing you to adapt very quickly,moving from one thing to the next,and the actual game will no-doubt give you time to learn everything.
Also, Nintendo has been altering the controls since E3, as Miyamoto as said.

http://www.thewiire.com/news/409/1/Twilight_Princess_to_Feature_RealTime_Slashing

So who knows at this point? And that's the problem: we don't know a thing. I understand keeping Wii features under wraps, even IF they're cutting it close, but I don't get doing it with this game. By the end of the year, we'll have played the game and will be able to say for certain whether it was worth all the wait.
As the Wiire put it:

Waiting for twilight, worried and cold,
going so long on the little bits told.
Swords will bleed and shields will shatter,
but if it's too late, will it even matter?

http://www.thewiire.com/features/159/1/Waiting_for__Twilight

The rAt

Smash Ace
I love it when people around here prove they are intelligent. It makes me feel so much better about critiquing those who haven't, because now I have examples. Good job, Destiny Smasher, you have earned a rep point and my respect.

Truth is, I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on these forums who aren't looking forward to Twillight Princess. However, there are a few of us who aren't pleased with the ammount of blind faith Nintendo often expects us to exhibit. However, I personally take the converse stance. I want to know as little as possible about this game, aside from an occasional trailer with which to blow my mind. Rather, for the last two (??) years, I've been rather sore that Nintendo felt the need to announce it so early. Granted, its been pretty much established that the delays in the game development have come from creating its Wii clone, but shouldn't that decision have been made, and its consequences considered before Nintendo decided to rev our collective engines?

This, to me, represents the greatest flaw in Nintendo's past marketing strategy, one which they have been thankfully steering clear of recently. This strategy consists of creating an idea, then announcing it to the whole world, without considering the feasability of the idea, or the time frame it may take to develop such an idea/product. This is forgivable on a small scale, but on a mass scale, its just plain bad business, because by the time a product comes out, the target audience is usually appathetic or has forgotten that the product even exists, therefore undoing all of the hype Nintendo creates when they first announce said idea/product. Fortunately, as I said, they've been getting better. Primarily by releasing less information on the Wii, specifically the controller, until they were sure what exactly they had, they may have saved themselves from repeating the cycle. Let's just hope it is the beginning of a trend, shall we?

Anyhow, more on topic, I know exactly which version of the game I'm getting. Like Destiny Smasher, the lack of info on the Wii version, combined with my belief that it was a poor choice for Nintendo to develop it in the first place, as well as my tenativeness about the concept itself, all lead me to straight toward the GCN version. However, I must admit that all of these factors were merely afterthoughts, as my wallet will again be making this decision for me. Tuition is expensive, and I am not entirely certain when/if I will be able to get a Wii.

Anyhow, I need to get some sleep before my mind degenerates completely. You stay classy, Smash World Forums.

Andy

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure we all think it's going to be awsome, but we're a bit worried about the verions diferences. Is it worth getting the Wii version for a better experience, when it could be horribly complicated and unliked? Or do we go with what we know, the safe way with the cube version, but then miss out on something awsome?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Wait, if I get this game for Gamecube, will I have to buy a completley diffrent game so I can play it for Wii, or will that one game work for both?

If so, then I am getting the Gamecube one. Wii can go to hell.

I'm still not happy about the Wii features.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
No, the two versions will be sold seperately. The Wii is backwards compatible so you can play the GC version on the wii with a GC controller.

Hoodie

Smash Journeyman
I plan on getting the GC version to be on the safe side. I'd rather go with what I know rather learning how to play with the Wiimote. I think i'd just have a better experience with the gamecube controller.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Giving new and dificult control schemes to games that never really need it as an excuse to bolster first-party launch titles?

Zink

Smash Champion
OH NOES! IT'S NOT BUTTONS! AND IT'S ZELDA! DON'T BUY DON'T BUY DON'T BUY!

Seriously, if you guys want to play the lame button version go ahead, I'll think of you as I slash up Ganondorf.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Zink, the Wii version still uses buttons but I see the point you're trying to make. I don't think controls will be overly difficult (of course I haven't played the darn thing yet).

Like Mic said TP doesn't need the Wii controls. If it did it wouldn't be coming to the gamecube. The thing that turns me off is that the Wii version is nothing more than a port designed to make the Wii look better at launch.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Chill, have you heard that the Wii version will NOT be compatible with the GCN controller?
Someone officially stated that recently...

This strategy consists of creating an idea, then announcing it to the whole world, without considering the feasability of the idea, or the time frame it may take to develop such an idea/product.
What? Super Smash Brothers 3 announced at E3 05? What? It wasn't in development until months after? Huh? Wait, they said they were planning on releasing it this holiday season BEFORE the development even started?

Naw, they wouldn't do THAT...

You make a very good point, and Nintendo does seem to be improving on this.
After all, look at the games that have just sort of popped up out of nowhere.

Anyway, I'm pleased about the story being tight-lipped, I want that, too, that's fine, great.
What's NOT great?
The details that warrant purchase.
I don't know which version of the game I want! Sorry, but that's not good when Nintendo is confusing its customers by not providing enough details. And I can't even base my decision on what they showed at E3 because they're changing it!

Basically, I think they're cutting it a bit short. I really hope reviewers get the game early enough to do some deep comparison so I know which version is best for me.

I'm a Nintendo fan at heart, and I expect the best from Nintendo, especially with a game like this. If they muck that experience up with wonky controls, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna be irritated.
And for the 10th time, wake up, folks--Twilight Princess is a PORT on Wii. At least, that's how it looks as of now.
Ya know what a port is, correct? You know, when they take a game and copy it over to another system and adjust the input so it works for the other controller.
Twilight Princess was designed from the ground up with the GCN in mind. It's a standard-control game.
Maybe Nintendo has done some massive changes since E3, I don't know.
And maybe the game will be more enjoyable for me on the Wii.
But how can I know that if they don't show us?
Nintendo still has time to unleash their expected-masterpiece, so here's hoping it's all they have promised it to be.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Chill, have you heard that the Wii version will NOT be compatible with the GCN controller?
Someone officially stated that recently...
Yes. What I meant was that TP didn't need the Wii controls because it was originally intended to be only on the GC. As opposed to a game built specifically with the Wii in mind.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Right, precisely.

I mean, yea, it could work out fine and even great with this control set-up.
But so could Halo. So would Luigi's Mansion.

Would that make them Wii titles at heart, in spirit?
I don't think so.

Nintendo's just put so much dang work into the game, and they know it will sell, so they're using it to bolster the Wii's launch, though in my opinion, since Wii can play GCN games, anyway...it kind of is irrlevant. But I guess people will go, "Ohhh, new Zelda" and will be compelled to pick it up. *shrug*

Works for me, so long as I play an amazing game that has been worth the wait and lack of knowledge.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
People love Zelda, so through this I suppose Nintendo went, "Wait... we could delay TP and launch it with the Wii and on the GCN at the same time! That would keep the Cube owners who don't want a Wii yet happy and also help our new system fly off the shelves because everyone loves Zelda." Thats how I see it anyway.

This game will be incredible, but I'm not expecting too amazing from the Wii port of the game, I may even end up returning it and getting the GCN version if I really don't like the controls that much but I'm not sure yet.

I have faith the game will be good, I just don't know which system it will be better on yet.

D

Deleted member

IGN said:
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Developer: Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: November 2006
Genre: Adventure

What to expect: The single greatest videogame of all time? Did we oversell it a bit? Really, we may not be kidding. At the very least, Twilight Princess is sure to be the best launch game in the history of launch games, but we're willing to bet it'll go down as much more than that. The title is the result of a massive effort by the proven Zelda team at Nintendo, which has in the past created some of today's most fondly remembered titles, from Ocarina of Time to Wind Waker. Twilight Princess will not only be bigger - a horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real minutes - but much more ambitious than ever before. Link turns into a wolf, crossed into a dark dimension, goes fishing, and rides his way into more dungeons than ever - and he's just getting started. Truth be told, we've glimpsed scenarios that have made our jaws drop and Nintendo itself has indicated that we haven't seen anything yet. The final product is going to be nothing short of epic and with both a Wii-exclusive 16:9 mode and new Wii-mote-enhanced controls - the ability to shoot arrows and slash the sword - the game is on track to become an instant classic when it launches with Wii.
OMFG @ BOLDED. 45 MINUTES?

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
IGN said:
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Developer: Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: November 2006
Genre: Adventure

What to expect: The single greatest videogame of all time? Did we oversell it a bit? Really, we may not be kidding. At the very least, Twilight Princess is sure to be the best launch game in the history of launch games, but we're willing to bet it'll go down as much more than that. The title is the result of a massive effort by the proven Zelda team at Nintendo, which has in the past created some of today's most fondly remembered titles, from Ocarina of Time to Wind Waker. Twilight Princess will not only be bigger - a horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real minutes - but much more ambitious than ever before. Link turns into a wolf, crossed into a dark dimension, goes fishing, and rides his way into more dungeons than ever - and he's just getting started. Truth be told, we've glimpsed scenarios that have made our jaws drop and Nintendo itself has indicated that we haven't seen anything yet. The final product is going to be nothing short of epic and with both a Wii-exclusive 16:9 mode and new Wii-mote-enhanced controls - the ability to shoot arrows and slash the sword - the game is on track to become an instant classic when it launches with Wii.
OMFG @ BOLDED. 45 MINUTES?
Holy crap, no wonder they're giving you Epona right from the start of the game! I wonder if that estimate, which I see is only a rumor, would take into account the Twilight realm, or if it's considered or measured seperatly at all.

Top Bottom