• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Group Project of Destiny- No longer active

etecoon

Smash Hero
Do they appear in oracles? I'm just playing through seasons now. They don't appear anywhere else on that timeline and LTTP specifically says that Ganondorf killed his followers...

Ganondorf himself could be a give away though, his personality is starkly different between TP/LTTP and WW, I wonder why that is? I remember even before TP came out to create that inconsistency, someone who's observation I have a lot of faith in said that he didn't think Ganon was being genuine in WW's ending...it's strange because pretty much everyone I know says that it made him a more relateable, sympathetic character, but then there's also this idea that he was bluffing the entire time, trying to get Link and Zelda to drop their guard...

Jakor

Smash Ace
You people might want to see a little program I made (link in my signature).

Just to let you know that I can come up with nice ideas, and produce something of relatively high quality. I took me a couple of hours to do it.

Aside from that, I actually learned a little more about programming 2D games and stuff. I'm definitely not an expert, but I know the basics now. I know how to draw and move a sprite for example. Although I'm not good at editing images with Paint or Gimp.

etecoon

Smash Hero
You people!? What do you mean 'you peo-

oh this is pretty neat.

I think from a practicality standpoint, if this is actually going to be a game it would be much easier/more feasible to find people with the skills to make a 2D game, but I can also see why some wouldn't want to limit our options like that. We'll have to see where it goes

Probably going to be some time before I post any more music, I've decided to learn some new software because FL handles MIDI CC's really badly, amongst a few other reasons.I've thought that my pitch wheel on my keyboard has been broken for the past 3 years and it isn't :mad:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Revamp Idea

An idea came to mind...

What if the entire game took place in the Labyri Canyons? The subterranean Hyrule concept would remain intact as we stretch the canyons miles long, vertically. Let's realize Hyrule's geography to be much, much larger than ever seen before. Zora's River was a tremendous force that cut through stretches of rock far and high. The surface of Hyrule is superheated and uninhabitable; blankets of scorched desert.

All life in Hyrule has migrated to the Labyri Canyons, save some desert-dwelling species. The canyons comprise multiple regions, so we can focus our game on this setting. To take a single geographical aspect of Hyrule and make a whole world of it: it's like circumscribing The Legend of Zelda's map from Adventure of Link; contracting upon Hyrule, versus expanding. Expanding downwards, not outwards.

Our story takes place a thousand years after Death Mountain exploded and sheared Hyrule. The refugee cultures mixed in the canyons, establishing a new Hyrulean society.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I like it but not necessarily more than the previous concept, I'm open to either

Going back into territory no one really wants to talk about, but IF we did go 2D for the practicality reasons, a canyon that largely restricts you to forward, backward, up, and down, would work perfectly with a side view...and again, -if- we did that, I think a side view compliments this Link's emphasis on speed and agility more than an overhead view would

---

One problem I do have with this is that it wouldn't make much sense for a lot of hylian ruins to be around...at the bottom of Zora's river. That could be a problem...what if some architecture is present but just underground, the canyon is the entirety of the surface world but the underground also goes in different directions?

---

Another fun thing about this is that it isn't unprecedented for species to very quickly evolve to respond to catastrophic events in zelda, like the zora becoming ruto when the change in water conditions could have killed them. What if at the bottom of this dried up Zora's River there are all kinds of weird life that's somewhere half way between land and sea life in terms of evolution? Particularly this interests me with vegetation, a desert canyon with sea weed and coral?

Spire

III
BRoomer
That's exactly what I was thinking. Here's the thing: with this being set a thousand years after the catastrophe, it yields plenty of time for civilizations to envelop and overlap each other. Zora's River (Labyri Canyons) course through most of Hyrule, so we can include a Maro Woods section as well as a Hyrule City section. Areas like Fissure Falls, the village Zelda, etc. would still be in this game; we're just not traversing great expanses beneath all of Hyrule, rather through and around the Zora's River sections.

Coral and sea weed will interbreed with cacti and the like to produce totally unique vegetation. Perhaps another Deku-like species could emerge from this?

And yes, this setting is much more appropriate for a side-scroller, which is what we'll end up doing. Adventure of Link was a side-scroller, though this game would be entirely one. Basically a Metroidvania game, but Zelda.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
The idea is great when considering a game. I could actually totally make that work :x

As an overall concept, I'm less fond of it. But that might just be because I've grown to the other idea. Shrug.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I'm actually starting to like this more, I edited the last post a few times and when I first said it was 50:50 that was before I started imaging desert sea coral and how all the elements we've already brainstormed could fit within this context. I'm really liking this now...

Another thought with 2D, you could even have the river branch in a few places and have a "3D" map using a 'hidden street'. This is something I found neat about the free MMO MapleStory, it's entirely a sidescrolling game but when you enter doors or portals it will put you going in a different direction on the map. I can't think of any more common examples of this so sorry if I'm not explaining it well but I think you should get the gist of it

ACTUALLY IIRC Super Paper Mario did the same thing to handle sidescrolling gameplay in a 360° kind of space, except it was more like a mechanic where you could change camera angles instead of simply switching when you go through doors

Spire

III
BRoomer
To any naysayers, we're imagining the vacuous Zora's River to be enormous, large enough to support an entire world itself.

This will save us from having to develop Gerudo Swamp, Snowpeak, and all the other expansive, extensive regions that are arbitrarily unnecessary. We can incorporate elements from them into pockets of the Labyri Canyons, but we would otherwise be focusing the project into said parameters. It's smart not to include everything we can think of; we're not trying to go above and beyond the physical parameters set by previous Hyrules, we're reimagining what being in Hyrule even constitutes. Imagine setting a game within only the confines of Death Mountain and its surrounding Goron land. It wouldn't be the small Death Mountain of OoT or TP, it would be a totally reimagined environment colossal in size to accommodate the scope of a full game. By designing the Labyri Canyons to be HUGE, we imply that Hyrule is even larger. Keeping large sections of Hyrule hidden from the player add to the mystery of the land. You are told through in-game context what happened to Hyrule and what it might look like. You get glimpses of it from the subterranean regions, such as swamp-like conditions permeating western caverns flanking the Gerudo Swamp.

Hyrule City, above and below ground should still appear in full.

And yes, those "hidden streets" would be necessary so the game isn't totally flat.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Would streets be a good idea for the underground as well? I can only imagine the map being a nightmare if that were the case...might be kind of cool if the surface and the underground operated on different mechanics too

Hyrule City, above and below ground should still appear in full.
Are we talking ruins here? Because I don't see how this could rationally be implemented into the bottom of Zora's River, unless we're talking about this particular area being one part of the rest of Hyrule that we can get to. One other thought I did have though was that maybe you could see some ruins from some places in the canyons that you don't actually go to. That's actually something I think should happen even if Hyrule Castle Town ruins are an accessible place

Spire

III
BRoomer
Zora's River runs right by Hyrule Castle Town in OoT and TP, so the Hyrule City ruins would be built into a portion of the river—and I imagine a lot of structures would collapse into the canyons as well.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Makes sense, the river would've taken a long time to carve such a large canyon, so Hyrule Castle Town itself expanding into the hillside as the water moved deeper seems logical.

Still curious if anyone has any ideas on a villain and the overall conflict of this. One thought I had was that it could be an old political enemy of Ganondorf's, maybe they also live on in a phantom form consulting a present day villain similar to how Ganondorf is now bound to Link

Orboknown

Smash Hero
would ganondorf have any political enemies aside from the ruler of hyrule? the gerudo had one chief whose word was effectively law

etecoon

Smash Hero
The premise we had is that Ganondorf WAS the king of Hyrule, so obviously there would be Hyrulian nobles who didn't like him. And I'm not so sure about that with the Gerudo, in FSA the fact that Ganondorf was the once every 100 years man meant nothing, and in OoT Nabooru does become insubordinate

Spire

III
BRoomer
Hmm... perhaps we can play up the spirit lamp idea with more characters than just Ganondorf.

I'd like to make a Batman and Robin comparison. Link is more like our Robin so I think we should design a "Batman" like character, one he can look up to; a character who is older, stronger, wiser, but perhaps crueler. A character like Zero from Mega Man X, a character you want to be more like, but a character flawed enough that you'd like to prove yourself different from. A character that motivates you to push through the game; a character that isn't a constant ally of Link's, but recurs to motivate him (the player). A character that is just really badass.

Just an idea of course.

Back to the antagonist. The antagonist exists because we need a story. This legend would not be without a driving force that threatens something sacred to the structure of the world. With a dense populace throughout the Labyri Canyons, perhaps our antagonist aims to flood the canyons, restoring Zora's River to glory. Perhaps our antagonist is a Zora. A tall, brooding Zora. Or as the Zora once evolved into the Rito, perhaps our antagonist is of a new evolved race—or perhaps the Rito return in this story, as they would fit perfectly in these environmental conditions, nesting in high canyon alcoves. Our antagonist could be a Rito leader bent on restoring the former glory of the Zoras, the people who once governed the flow of water throughout the land. Water is worth a lot.

Maybe at the basin of Fissure Falls where the Angler Zoras thrive, there is a massive rock clogging the font; caused by the eruption quakes from the catastrophe. Maybe this Rito leader wants to unclog the font, flooding the canyons and restoring the river, but at the expense of all who live within the canyons.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
tldr- next male born gerudo could be your batman figure, I had an idea for smahs style game mechanics for a metroidvania style Zelda and i think muramasa is good inspiration for how satisfying a sidescroller could look.

Ok, basically to pass the time I've thought about zelda game ideas myself and I'm seeing some similar things being said here so now would be the time to chime in.

For an antagonist I had thought of a Hyrule in a political battle where the game starts off at the end of a war which was ended by the next gerudo born male and resulted in treaties and such. When the conflict arises the story makes him to seem as the master mind and as he tries to save zelda you stop him out of hear he is trying to make things worse and in doing so lose Zelda to the villain (which in my story was twinrova) and he lashes out on you for ruining everything. The reason I say this is because after reading what you guys have had to say I think the idea of a 'batman' type character relates to mine. An descendant of Ganon we have a burly guy who would be in control of a small tribe and as this leader he can seem as our wise batman capable of doing things himself and scolding Link, kind of as an odd mentor with ambiguous political views.

As for gameplay
i've always wanted to see a return to side scrolling Link but I would want art style to be very prominent here. (take muramasa for wii, not the japanese locales, just the not bland way a sidescroller could look) I had my own Zelda game idea for this but skipping to how it would play, I was thinking similar to smash, not by it's physics, by it's attacks. It could have a multi-jab(read:slash) rolling/shielding, a jump button which opens up to new attacks similar to fair bair dair. Since we have an acrobatic Link, possible combos would be cool but nothing that requires extraneous tech skill. And yes, the hidden streets from maple story was apart of my idea at the time because I did love that game but also then lay out of maple story. The multiple platforms to avoid from going from left to right, i'm sure you've already talked about adding up and down(again I have to get around to reading this ALL) and this would make bombs to find hidden streets and hook shots for getting to unreachable places very interesting.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Bastion would be a good western example of what you're talking about as far as art goes I think, very colorful but very detailed

Coincidentally I just watched this presentation by Darren Korb, the sound guy for Bastion last night. Picked up some interesting bits about designing SFX from this, since I'll probably be responsible for that too. Interestingly his approach to the music is kind of similar to what I had in mind for this, but with less "trip hop" or really familiar musical ideas in general. This is an alien hyrule so I'm aiming for rhythms and tonalities that are much more unusual for the most part, but with a big emphasis on familiar (sampled) acoustic instruments that have been mangled slightly

Spire

III
BRoomer
Totally. SS's art style is the best the series has seen yet, but evolving it with Arabic styling would be even better.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I love SS' environmental art but I think the character designs were a bit questionable at times, not really familiar with Arab art so I'm not sure how that would impact it

http://soundcloud.com/liquid-wind/scorched-plains

Might make a few tweaks here or there but this is roughly my first finished work in Renoise, I didn't necessarily intend it for this when I started it since I figured I'd do a few songs unrelated to this project to get comfortable with it, but the aesthetic I set forth for this project quickly overtook it...I might be backtracking a little on the theory I had too lol(this is now the second 4/4 song I've made for this, very standard rhythm here), but the project is still changing a lot so I have to have a flexible philosophy as well

Spire

III
BRoomer
That is fantastic. The phasing desert dissonance wisps me away. I can't quite place where exactly this might illustrate our story, but the various imagery that's been flashing in my mind throughout the course of the piece is all but misplaced. I see a moonlit desert cast against towering ruins plagued by a sandstorm—venturing deeper into the expanse you stumble upon a spiraling entrance to a temple adorned in sand and in its depths, currents of lava that bake the sand into charred glass. This is beautiful.

etecoon

Smash Hero
The phaser choir I actually brought back because of your feedback on a temple covered with ice(though it's even more processed this time), I thought it could work pretty well for this context too, if nothing else I'm getting some good listener feedback out of this : )

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Just to give feedback, I really like the song but the...I don't even know what to call it. The replacement for a hihat on 1,2,and of 3, and of 4 sounds weird. Not the placing, just the instrument used to make the sound. I feel like this is going to be a pretty empty place where the music would resemble a desert wind which it does but that instrument makes it sound like the inside of the factory temple of SS. Don't even know what it's called but basically I feel like if you were in that temple in SS in the past where everything is restored it would sound similar to that but I'd want it to sound more like the desolate future.

Just my opinion, I think you know what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1wgF4XFgwc&t=10m50s <this minus the commentator. How it changes with the time shift stone, I love the music but it's basically bustling vs. desolate and maybe I'm wrong but I thought you were going for desolate.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I wasn't particularly aiming for either, as I said it originally wasn't going to be part of this, I can change it as necessary later. The percussion is a bunch of random world(mostly arab) drums with a lot of processing(sharp EQ, distortion, comb filter, bitrate reduction, ring mod). This was more experiment than trying to portray any particular imagery, I tried to use a lot of Renoise's internal DSP just to get familiar with it, see what I like and what I don't(still using fruity phaser here lol)

So, tomorrow is the actual day this project is suppose to start up again. Are the original people still going to stick with it?

I'm not rejoining. Just giving out like one last idea though. It might be good to keep this as an open project for everyone. Although, trying to get any finality in a decision would difficult. Considering how long its been inactive for, some summary of the ideas so far might nice to gather up and displayed on the OP.

Well, not sure if it was ever an exclusive kind of club, but not many people chipped in except those that already wished to join in on the project.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I definitely want to contribute/ see your ideas....a summary of what's been almost definitely been confirmed already would be great though.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yeah, I'm just giving it a few days to see who's interested. A summary post will be coming up pretty soon.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Just so you guys know, I start back to school on June 4th, which will go till July 2nd. I'll work until then, as much as I can during that time, and afterwards a ton. Let's get this goron rolling again!

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm still curious about exploring the prospect of the entire game taking place within the Labyri Canyons.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I like that idea.

Just posting to let you guys know I haven't forgotten; I figured I'd give potential contributors a week to post.

After reading a review for the Inheritance series, I was thinking about how many people seemed to give the book a bad rating due to the fact it contained these side stories which did not always progress the plot at all. And it also left a number of side stories which had no closure.

I was thinking that I enjoyed the series because of these very things. I do not think a story has to have elements which always drive the main plot line. If anything, the sub-plots make the main story much more interesting because it immerses yourself into the world a bit more.

So, the main point I am trying to get across is maybe you guys could take some left over ideas you thought of turning over and include it as a sub-plot on some side story mission.

Top Bottom