• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Group Project of Destiny- No longer active

AceGamerE

Smash Rookie
I'd be willing to participate... I can plan out sideline characters and draw (but not colour) background areas and such.(as long as I have a ruler lol) along with those sideline characters (even though they'll come out animanga ish)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Project Reboot Idea - Hyrule Hystomes

Just imagine this:

[glow]~Hyrule~[/glow]

A land defined by your decided storytelling. Hyrule has always been a land we love to explore for its treasures, story, and lore. What if there was a way though, to shape that very land as you progressed through the story? What if the story was shaped by your choosing? What if you could have a real impact on the culture, the seasons, the dungeons, the treasures, the geography—the story and essence of Hyrule itself?

That is why I present the Hyrule Hystomes. Hystomes are literally a portmanteau of Hyrule, History, and Tome, ancient artifacts very much like the Ancient Tablets from Skyward Sword, inscribed on stone prophetic writings in a lost language. There would be a number of these in the game, some found along the course of the story, others by exploring the expanses and depths of Hyrule. Those found optionally would most likely yield more interesting effects on the land and the story itself.

How a Hystome functions:
The story will be broken down into chapters. Aside from the first and last, every chapter may be chosen by you. You will revisit a totemic wall located somewhere... important, where you will assemble both Hyrule and the course of your story. At each chapter interval, you may choose which Hystome you would like to place next on the wall. Once done, history has been set in stone (literally). The world will change according to the scripture on the stone and your story will reflect this change. For instance, one Hystome may be called "Bolero of Fire" (a reference of course). I see an old sage protecting this totemic wall, wherever it may be located. I suspect this sage can read each tome to you, though each would be written poetically, nigh entirely metaphorically—for insight to its effects. After translating any Hystomes you'd like, you then place the chosen plaque on the wall and history is made.

Various effects caused by Hystomes, some of which may be combined:
  • Spring — The land blooms with vivid life.
  • Autumn — The land falls into an Autumnal season.
  • Tundra — The land freezes over. Effects water habitats.
  • Sandstorm — The land is pelted by sandstorms, eroding plant life.
  • Firestorm — A portion of the land is pelted by fire, scorching the earth and introducing new fire-based foes amongst other effects.
  • New village(s) — Various Hystomes may summon new establishments across the land, particularly to displace those destroyed by environmental effects.
  • New dungeon(s) — Various Hystomes may summon new dungeons within the land. There will be static dungeons from the start of the game, but access to some may falter depending on the Hystomes; conversely new dungeons may appear.
  • Roaming beasts — Some Hystomes may introduce new roaming beasts to the land, breathing passive or aggressive life to Hyrule's expanses. Some may come in the form of a single colossal beast rather than herds.
  • etc.
Those were ideas on the whim. Anyone is free to imagine other effects. Keep in mind, these named effects won't appear in-game; the only context we have towards possible Hystome powers are the poems inscribed on the stones. Those listed above are quite generic, so ideas much more creative are totally encouraged. Keep in mind that the poems must not only allude to the effects bestowed upon the world, but the evolving story as well.

This structure gives us the freedom to explore Zelda with evolving gaming in mind. It is an avenue less fan-fiction and more video game design. It gives the player the freedom to develop their own version of Hyrule and its story with in-game, lore-abiding content. It is self-contained and offers amazing replay value since every time you play the game, you can change the course of the story and the shape of the world. It is what every fan game is trying to do: provide a new take on the classic Legend of Zelda, but gives the player the option of literally crafting their own version within the game itself.

Thoughts?

etecoon

Smash Hero
I like it but for two things

it significantly expands the scope of a project we're not really sure will materialize into anything to begin with, if I'm understanding this right it may require multiple versions of nearly every asset created

and

if we keep rebooting this there will be no end to it. we're early enough in brainstorming where this shouldn't be prohibitive but at some point we're going to have to commit to one concept.

I also like this idea a lot though on the other hand

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think ultimately what we could accomplish with this concept is a thorough description of what every Hystome would entail, where to find each, and how. Again, I can and most definitely will design maps and varieties thereof. In fact, ooo, I'd like to draft some ideas up tonight.

I know it's different than what we've been working on, but I've devised this based on all of our brainstorming. Essentially we could include a lot of our concepts into it. I consider this an evolution that derides the typical fan-fiction assembly of most Zelda projects (and that undeniably permeated our developing idea).

This is something that actually seems more feasible and well, logical to me. I will initiate a convent of concept art to further persuade the movement.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Thought about it while I was in the shower, I'm in with this. Since OoT time travel and alternate histories and the like have been a staple of the series and this is an interesting take on that, and I've always personally loved these kinds of elements in fiction. It's also true that this could stack with what we've already come up with rather than replace it entirely

Jakor

Smash Ace
Yeah, I really like this idea too. I just hope some of the previous ideas still carry over though.

Spire

III
BRoomer
More Notes on the Hystomes/Agestones

Alright, now time to rename the Hystomes!

I've been thinking further about what they might be. Rather than contain certain effects, each Hystome should be an alternate potential chapter. Each would be des—I guess the name kept—igned to reinvent the world around you, perhaps even to transpose you through the ages. What if we tell many lost ages of Zelda; what if each Hystome—or whatever we evolve the concept into—are artifacts capable of time travel to lost times of Hyrulean history. Essentially every chapter would run as an overworld-dungeon adventure a la Skyward Sword's tri-provincial structure. The final chapter will result from the choices you made in choosing what times to travel to. Whatever feats you accomplished will weigh structurally in the end. What you are able to do within the end-game world will depend on what choices you made in fulfilling the pact of nine, that being the placement of Hystomes in the Door of Time.

The purpose of this story is beset by the guardian sage of the Door of Time. In the last chapter, the entirety of your constructed Hyrule, one whose characteristics reflect what happened in the ages you traveled to, access through the Door of Time is granted. Upon entering, you essentially enter the last "dungeon" (each history has a dungeon), the tenth and final. Here's a structure of the story:

Intro
▲ 1st Chosen History
▲ 2nd Chosen History
▲ 3rd Chosen History
Interlude
▲ 4th Chosen History
▲ 5th Chosen History
▲ 6th Chosen History
Interlude
▲ 7th Chosen History
▲ 8th Chosen History
▲ 9th Chosen History
Final Hyrule Incarnation

Idea: The Door of Time's purpose in this game will lead you to the exact moment Ganon invaded the Sacred Realm. The Sage who guards the door of time is *spoiler* Zelda, a very elderly woman. She will easily be mistaken for Impa by fans, though her identity will be revealed at the end. This Legend of Zelda will have Link traversing the lost ages of Hyrule for the secrets necessary to find the thread of time lost when Ganon invaded the Sacred Realm. The story sees Zelda sending Link through time to equip himself capable of traveling back to the moment the Hero of Time was sealed within the Temple of Light in Ocarina of Time—when Ganon marched on the Sacred Realm and attempted to steal the Triforce. Link will defeat Ganon in the Sacred Realm and alter history completely. This Legend of Zelda will unfurl the timeline itself.

Going to brainstorm some Agestone (new name) ideas:

AGESTONES
Bolero of Fire ≈ The Death Mountain Catastrophe
  • Death Mountain collapses, explodes and rains fire upon Hyrule.
Requiem of Spirit ≈ Desert Hyrule & The Hyrule Underground
  • The land is inhabited by denizens above and below the scorched surface.
Wind's Requiem ≈ The Labyri Kingdom
  • The once-kingdom of Hyrule exists solely within the canyon walls of the Labyri. Winds howl as far as the eye can see.
Song of Storms ≈ The Great Flood
  • Water falls endlessly upon Hyrule, slowly flooding the land. The remnants of classic Hyrule move to the mountaintops.
Serenade of Water ≈ The Great Drain
  • The once-flooded land is drained. Steam technologies are used to cultivate the coral forests.
Minuet of Forest ≈ The Deku Kingdom
  • Long after the Great Drain, Hyrule is overgrown by extreme vegetation. Seawoods span the once-kingdom.
Prelude of Light
Nocturne of Shadow ≈ The Darkest World
  • The world is shrouded in shadow, the compressed light floats as orbs in the midst, consolidated memory able to guide those lost in the dark. A deity must be awakened to relight the Skycandle.
Mantra of Mirrors
Oath to Order ≈ The Architect's Dream
  • A state of peace bathes the land. Everyone is content with their daily lives. Tapped into a sensory network of light-weaving, the citizens of Hyrule obey the voices of their 'gods'. Hyrule is an endless construct of architectural conjecture. The earth and sky seamlessly begin and end.
Elegy of Emptiness ≈ The Blank World
  • Hyrule is desolate. Blank facades comprise everything. There are no people, there are no things. There is nothing but simple form. Sound is muted to a low frequency vibration that seems precious upon leaving one's lips. It is but all you have to talk to—yourself.
Sonata of Awakening ≈ The Illuminated Realm
Invocation of Blight
Prayer to Wither
Dance of Witches
Myth of Spices ≈ The Hyrulean Trade Company, Hyrule Kingdom
  • Hyrule's economy is bustling! Having established trade with neighboring kingdoms Labrynna, Holodrum, and Cobble, fine foreign spices have spiked the market... as well as piracy. In an effort to capitalize on the trade, you are sent to an untapped island to harvest the legendary Boko Spicefruit.
Seance of Seasons ≈ A seasoned Kingdom, the new Culture of Hyrule
  • The spice trade brought many new races to Hyrule, transforming the culture of the people and the agriculture of the land. The Hyrule Fields have been converted into massive farms. The Boko Spicefruit has brought a great abundance of wealth and prosperity to Hyrule. Deep in the autumnal forest is spun a massive nest by Queen Gohma; the Gohma offspring hunger for the Boko Spicefruit.
Incensing Hollows ≈ Orchestrated Hyrule
  • The citizens of Hyrule have taken a sharp liking for the musical. Architecture is reinvented to possess musical capabilities as the general social philosophy becomes that of mass musical communication. You are tasked by Hyrule's Grand Conductor to seek the wood of a presumedly extinct species of tree to craft the perfect cello. The wood of the Boko Spicefruit Tree. The tree is protected by a dreadful banshee of the woods.
The Haunt ≈ The Cursed Era
  • Everyone is just mad.
The Legend of Cucco ≈ Cucco Kingdom
  • Hyrule has been overrun by Cuccos! Wolfos emerge at night to prey and have subsequently become a large threat to the people of Hyrule. Cuccos attacked by, but survived encounters with Wolfos have developed into hulking Cuccolfos. A talking Cucco joins you in the fight to end this nonsense.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I love it, infinite possible scenarios exist and the door of time is a bridge by which link can explore any universe. It's been speculated that the OoT temple of time essentially exists outside of time, this would be a step further, a temple of time that is at the center of the multiverse. speaking of which

http://soundcloud.com/liquid-wind/temple-of-time

you'll probably never hear a nasty resonant bass like that in actual zelda, whateva, I do what I want!

Orboknown

Smash Hero
spire you just blew my mind.
again.
I'll think on this and anythin specific to chime into, but couldn't link visit possible futures in this way as well somehow?

etecoon

Smash Hero
Yep, it would make sense for both future and past to be accessible, but because of Hyrule's history being cyclical in nature, I'd imagine many of the scenarios as being difficult to place if not impossible, as well as histories that are not part of one of the known timelines there is also the rise and fall of technology that happens repeatedly. an event could be thousands of years in the future and appear very ancient, or thousands of years in the past and seem more modern

Orboknown

Smash Hero
that is true, but wouldn't the death mountain eruption doom scene we had planned be an interesting future place to visit, with link's actions being able to stop that future from happening?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I don't know what to say...I love the idea of changing the landscape of the world. Thoughts of floods, eruptions, and overgrown vegitation really breathes life and could be great in aiding immersion for the player. I like this much better than simply the eruption because no matter what way I looked at it, the world seemed quite bland in it's land scape. Everything would have been bone dry and you would be surrounded by brwnish-grey palletes, much like modern games which Zelda has tryed to stay away from doing. The idea of a cataclysmic event and complete overhaul of the Zelda world sounded cool, but even the swamp area would be greyish and uninspiring in nature.

I really do love your diea, but if I may, having so many instances to change the landscape with these agestones seems to work against the idea. I remember when Zelda 64 was about Hyrule being a breathing world where even your footsteps were recorded, everything you did impacted and changed the world in an irreversible fashion. I think in terms of dungeons and story arc, the changes should start out small and as you go along you can continue down one path or mix pathes until you get to bigger decisions which change the world but cannot be reversed.

I think you were saying there would be an event and you could completely change the world again, I'd rather you slowly changed the world until it becomes one final creation as if you changes followed a tree of possible changes, all branching out. For example; heavy rain fall could lead to overgrown vegitation or flooding, and from there can lead you to an overgrown temple or a flooded temple. From there the world will change completely if you continue on that path. With this something like a total flood, an eruption, or a huge earthquake would come at the end of the game and not be changed back and you slowly lead it to this end and to play it out another way would require a new playthrough.

With this I think ideas should be more limited, no need for a million ways to play out these changes, maybe four ways to mirror each season and through the seasons the changes your more heavily towards become more extreme. This takes away your agestones but still effects the history of Hyrule and how it will end up, just my thoughts.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Totally. Perhaps the agestone concept evolves into environmental variables instead. With agestones, I devised a hybrid of item collection and story control.

I ultimately want a means of effecting Hyrule aesthetically and experientially. I had leapt to the time-travel mechanic using the Door of Time to allow Link to both transcend lost ages and ultimately effect the sandbox Hyrule that would be available in the final chapter of the game.

I imagined that each selected age would have a permanent effect on the variable-effected Hyrule of the end-game. See, ultimately the point of time that the end-game takes place in would be a merged timeline; where Hyrule is effected by the pasts (or futures) dictated in the various ages. I imagine that the Door of Time would be forever shut at the very end.

As for the different ages effecting Hyrule:
Bolero of Fire could destroy Death Mountain in the present, allowing exploration of a massive collapsed volcano. Goron City and Kakariko might be rendered out of existence however.
Requiem of Spirit could render Hyrule Field a desert and add a large, explorative cavern beneath it. Sandstorms might also pelt different regions of the land. Cacti dot Hyrule, desert or not. Certain foes found in this chapter could appear now.
Wind's Requiem might drain Zora's River. If chosen with Song of Storms, the bottom basin of the river might be flooded. If chosen with Serenade of Water, coral and trickling water spouts would populate the canyon. Perhaps if coupled with Serenade of Water, a train would run its length as well?
Song of Storms could bring about torrential, erratic rains to forever pelt the land, raising bodies of water and creating shallow pools elsewhere (Hyrule Field, etc). Perhaps a settlement or two appear atop some mountains with descendants (or copies) of some of the people encountered in the Great Flood chapter. If chosen with Requiem of Spirit, we'd have quite the storm in the desert.
Serenade of Water would develop coral infestations in place of some traditional vegetation while also introducing steam technology; trains that might bridge key locations. Zora's Domain could dry up.
Minuet of Forest most of Hyrule would be covered in forest. Conflicting areas such as the possible Desert Hyrule Fields would remain as such.
Nocturne of Shadow might affect the night conditions of Hyrule. Perhaps once the sun sets, the world falls into a very dark state, illuminated only by orbs of light that emerge from the earth, able to communicate to you information of the world (a la Gossip Stones).
Oath to Order would introduce its convergent futurist aesthetics to Hyrule. The sky would reflect the earth, encapsulating reality in a contained sphere. Beyond that, Hyrule City might return (assuming it actually doesn't exist at all in the beginning of the game—I'll get to that in a bit) but with holographic technology akin with the holo-conveyor belts of Lanayru Mining Facility.
Myth of Spices might introduce the Hyrule Docks, rendering the desert region (Gerudo Desert) an ocean and building docks with ships along its coast.
Seance of Seasons would introduce members of new races to Hyrule, diversifying the population. It might also add farms to a certain stretch of the land. It might also shift the season to endless Autumn, to where most of the green changes to beautiful reds, browns, oranges, and yellows.

Anyways, that's the idea. Don't want to type all of them up. Essentially in the end-game Hyrule, you have a convergent land based upon all the times you chose to travel to, a land historically built by the histories you chose to travel to. It raises the question: did these histories ever actually happen? If not, did Link's activation thereof bring them to reality? Might they have just otherwise been possible histories programmed in the Agestones? Is each Agestone designed to alter history by rendering its information into a [virtual] experience?

The game will begin in Hyrule, but that land will change drastically by the end of the game. The structure of the game would be loosely this: You start off in some village and make your way to the top of a mountain. Atop that mountain are the ruins of the Temple of Time, with the preserved Door of Time protected by a most elderly sage, Zelda. From this view, you can see all of Hyrule. Whenever this era takes place, the Temple of Time had been rebuilt atop this mountain, as it seemingly continues to be rebuilt. It was first located in the Lanayru Desert, then rebuilt atop the Sealed Temple (Temple of Hylia). It now rests in ruins atop this mountain, overlooking the crumbled land of Hyrule. There is but little left. Perhaps the point of this game is to rebuild Hyrule by traveling to its lost ages. Like Pokémon, maybe Zelda offers you one of three Agestones to choose from. In doing so, you place it in the frame of the Door of Time and enter that reality. Upon completing that chapter of Hyrule and returning through the Door of Time in that world, you step out back in your Hyrule only to find it effected by that choice. Say one of the Agestones she offers is Song of Storms. Upon returning, you find that it is raining. It will continue to rain for the rest of the game.

I also devised another idea. As seen in my incomplete list of Agestones in that recent post of mine, you might notice the stories broken into trilogies. I had in mind the potential for unlocking the subsequent chapters by finding the Agestones within the previous realm. By that, I mean if you chose Bolero of Fire, within that age you are able to find hidden the Agestone for Requiem of Spirit. By the conclusion of Bolero of Fire, you will have obtained another Agestone (from defeating the boss presumably). You would then have a choice between the two (or more) when prompted with deciding which to place in the Door of Time. If you choose Requiem of Spirit, you would be continuing the direct story of the Death Mountain Catastrophe by visiting its future Desert Hyrule and Hyrule Underground. There would be these three-part arcs within the overall story that you could choose to complete. With that being said, if we have 18 Agestones in the whole of the game, then you have 6 arcs of mini-stories to possibly unravel. Of course you might not play the game this way at all, faltering from completing the arcs and assembling your own mix-matched story instead. Rather than playing through Bolero of Fire + Requiem of Spirit + Wind's Requiem, and solving that whole story (inevitably bringing that complete reality into your Hyrule), you choose other stories to integrate instead.

@ Etecoon — I dig everything you added to the Temple of Time theme, except the intrinsic theme itself. Needs to be slowed down to match that awesome bass.

Spire

III
BRoomer
We aren't planning on making a game out of this. If we can construct a design document, that would be good enough. A game could only come afterwards.

Spire

III
BRoomer
No man, even sloooooower. This is an improvement upon the original I feel. It needs to feel more electrically dissonant.

Did you insert and tweak the original theme? Or did you rewrite it yourself? If the former, axe the cut. Implement it yourself using a different sound. I love all the sounds you've chosen to incorporate, but the temple of time theme sits backseat to the rest, struggling to be new. It's just too similar to its past incarnations. With this technological ensemble of sounds, so too must it feel hollow, a digital echo of sorts. I ultimately don't know what I'm talking about because I know very little about musical theory and composition.

I hear so much potential for an amazing incarnation of the theme but it's not quite there yet.

etecoon

Smash Hero
hmm, I see what you're getting at but it will take some time, I'll have to rewrite most of it entirely at this point and as I said, I have another project that will occupy most of my time this month. as it is I already thought the accompanying parts had been stretched a little much when I elongated the melody, so I pretty much have to scrap most of it and start over

probably better if I shelve it for a while anyway so that what the temple of time is even supposed to be in this game will be more fleshed out by then, we've just now started on this new path and don't have much of it determined anyway. I did ask about it the other day but we're still on completely different pages here lol, I was specifically aiming for "it's THE temple of time", not too liberal with it, where it seems like you're aiming at something more like "the broken remains of the temple of time" or "the ghost of the temple of time". actually with the idea of hyrule being long gone and the temple of time a derelict ruin, I may need to take a very different approach entirely

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I haven't actually read a lot, but to have stones limited to periods of time (period 1 - 3stones, period 2 - 4 stones) etc seems bland to me. Allow us to place stones wherever we want.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Each period would have three attributed stones. You have the choice of using all three to further develop said period—if you obtain all three in the first place. You'd still be able to place stones wherever you'd like. For those who seek to complete these tri-chapter periods, you'ld essentially get some conclusive insight into that exact mini-arc of a story. Otherwise, mix and match the chapters however you want.

To clear any confusion, by period I mean (i.e.) Bolero of Fire (Death Mountain Catastrophe) + Requiem of Spirit (Desert Hyrule & Hyrule Underground) + Wind's Requiem (Labyri Canyons). Those three acts comprise a period, totally optional in completion. Period might not even be the right word as the three would span literally hundreds of years.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Okay, sorry about the delay guys.

What I would like to do is go through the thread from the beginning and compile everything. It seems like the posts made since May 21st are going in a different direction from those made a few months ago, which is natural and fine given the time that has passed. What we'll have to decide is
1) Whether we want to synthesize the new ideas with the old, or basically go forward from here in a new direction, and
2) If we decide to combine the old and new, we need to figure out what we're keeping and what's being discarded.

Anyone can have a say in this, and over the next week I'd like to see participants post what they want to do, and what they'd like to keep. For anything you want to keep, please be sure to reference the original post with a link in your response so that we all know exactly what you're talking about.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
...I'd like it to.

Since no one's posting atm I'll go ahead and bring up the discussion of 2D vs. 3D again. Honestly, I'd really like to see a 2D sidescrolling Zelda with an emphasis on art style like Machinarium or Masamune: Demon Blade. The controls could be similar to Smash without a double jump or knockback and it'd be much easier/ look much nicer for the artists in here to do an example of the artstyle by drawing what would look like a 2D screenshot.

Edit: Also wanted to bring up the idea of modding a preexisting game to actually make this happen, even if only for our own and a few other's enjoyment. I know of people modding minecraft to make a full-fledged Zelda game, as well as Star Wars Jedi Academy to make pseudo-mideval adventure game. If anyone could think of a game we could mod/ who could mod it that'd be great. I mean physics and stuff is there for you, something like braid or terraria would work for my idea above, I'm not sure if eithe rof those can be modded though. Highly doubt braid could be, but that would be amazing.

Spire

III
BRoomer
The Jedi Knight engine would be awesome (mind linking me to that medieval mod?). We could also mod Skyrim, for it has bountiful resources that with some retexturing could yield great quasi-realistic Zelda results—though it would still undeniably play like Elder Scrolls.

Though as you said, a stylistic 2D Smash-like controlled adventure platformer would be ideal imo. Within the 2D realm, we could practically draw the whole game.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I can program in Gamemaker and make 8-bit NES music with Famitracker.

http://www.host-a.net/u/DakotaBonez/ZeldaDemo.exe

I dunno which zelda game yer going for but I modeled the movement in this one after the original zelda except that the camera follows the player instead of staying still. Also the octoroks have improved aim by rotating to face the player.

I included the smash bros. brawl song in there which I made in about 5 minutes.
All the graphics are merely placeholders, which is why its all black and white atari2600 looking garbage. If there are any talented music artists and/or spritists give me you're work and I can insert it into the game.

YOU MOVE WITH THE ARROW KEYS

Not much to look at but just showing I aint fakin when I say I wanna part of this project.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Sorry But there's noway Im gonna read this entire thread. Bring me up to speed on the plot and has there been any work on sound and/or graphics? And have you decided what type of game yer going for?
Top-Down?
Platformer?

Edit: Not a very active topic eh?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Overview

Platformer.

Etecoon has been working on the soundtrack, experimenting with themes for potential regions. You can check out his work here: http://soundcloud.com/liquid-wind/tracks. Because most have fallen out of interest, I'd say as of now, you'd be joining a nearly dead project. I am still very interested in it, so I'll bring you up to speed.

Overview:

This Legend of Zelda aims to transcend the element of time not yet explored. Link is born into Hyrule in an indeterminate age. The land is dotted in millennia of ruins, built over layer by layer, melting into a miasma of architecture and artifact tied not to any given time—the origin of endless stories enough to scramble any concrete history these people once had. Lost to time, the remnant people of this age tell the many Legends of Zelda as mythological history.

Link aptly begins his journey in a village at the base of the land's highest mountain. The village would serve as the 'tutorial hub', sending Link off on his first quest to climb the mountain. Upon reaching the top, he finds himself immersed in the ruins of an ancient temple. Standing in the center is a door, brooding as it is inviting. As Link approaches, from behind it steps an old woman. She addresses herself as Alda, Voice of the Door. After explaining the precedent of the Door, she reveals from the sleeve of her robe three stones, which she refers to as Ageorbs. Link must choose one and with it, insert into a circular orifice lining the frame of the Door. Upon doing so, light cracks through the edges of the frame, pushing open the doors. A holomirage appears within the doorway, flashing rapidly imagery of the land this door now leads to. Alda explains to Link the journey he is about to embark on, and so he steps through the Door of Time.

Depending on which Ageorb you chose, Link has traveled to one of three lost ages of Hyrule. Each age serves as a "level", deploying Link into an explorable world (albeit not expansively as a full Hyrule experience would) with side-quests and a dungeon to conquer. Upon completing said dungeon, Link is awarded a new Ageorb. A holographic door emerges in the boss room which he can step through. Upon doing so, he walks back through the Door of Time and is greeted by Alda who inquires about his journey. With this new Ageorb, he places it in the next frame slot and activates passage to another lost age of Hyrule. Each age has a dungeon and side quests (sometimes optional dungeons) that require cross-age transcendence to acquire items necessary for progression. Each dungeon yields an Ageorb upon completion, expanding Link's potential story. Items are found within the age's world, then usefully applied in the dungeons. Some dungeons cannot be completed without certain items, and said items might not be found in the corresponding age, so transcendence through time is necessary. The acquisition of items through traveling the ages will yield further exploration into dungeons and thus, access to more ages.

There are a total of nine Ageorb slots lining the Door of Time, so while you may collect many more than nine Ageorbs, only nine may be loaded into the door. Upon returning for the first time from a lost age, you will notice characteristics of that time emerging within your world. You are essentially resurrecting elements of Hyrule's lost past to reshape the land into something it's never been. Ruins will restore, disappear, and transform into totally different structures. Regions will unlock depending on their age-intrinsic aspects. Your Ageorb choices actually matter. You are writing Hyrulean history.

Ultimately, upon filling all nine Ageorb slots and conquering your chosen ages, you will have crafted a completely explorable Hyrule contingent on your choices. Each age will load into the cohesive Hyrule varied aspects that must be programmed to work no matter the combination of Ageorbs. The tenth age is your age. It is the age of your writing. This Legend of Zelda gives the power to the player. Hyrule is truly in your hands. Your choices, your story, your world. After choosing and completing your nine lost ages, you will have unlimited access to explore the tenth age, the transformed age. The age that began as the zeroth, the age of ruin. The beginning of the game is the age of ruin. There is a calm, but there is emptiness. The Door of Time allows for Link, the Hero of Time, to restore Hyrule how he sees fit, without time spent in reconstructive passage.

*Spoilers!* After the completion of the 9th Age to fill the last void of Hyrule, Alda draws her hood and reveals with shining blue eyes to be Zelda, the last sage. Long after her reign as Princess of Hyrule, she retired to protect the Temple of Time as the Sage of Time. She saw Hyrule fall into ruin by ruin (Hyruin, heh). It was not until the Hero's spirit birthed again into the world that she felt hope for the first time in restoring it. A curse had been placed on time itself, cycling all history into convoluted ruin. No civilization was allowed to last—even Link's remnant village was nearing its death and with it, the last people of Hyrule. As the Sage of Time, Zelda (who in Ben Kenobi fashion, took the moniker Alda) held a grip on the last untainted aspect of time, the Door. Even its protective temple lay in ruin. Only the Door of Time, fueled by Zelda's life stood in place and function. Both she and the door shared life.

The antagonist of this game is time itself, or more specifically, the source of infinite ruin through time compression (hmm.. Final Fantasy VIII..). Upon reaching the tenth age, Hyrule is restored, but only in a reprieve of time. The threat is not stopped. At this point in the game, you have all the time in the world to meander around, exploring to your heart's content. Huge satisfaction. However, in order to complete the game, the last (tenth) dungeon must be conquered, which is accessed from your newly crafted Hyrule. Access to the dungeon will once again be via the Door of Time, though empowered with all nine Ageorbs. Inverse of the single-orb access into the nine lost ages, all nine will cohesively create passage to the antagonist's realm, which too will reflect your choices. Such power not even Ganon could fathom.

This is a world of nethertime. Nothing is concrete in its placement. Foes will warp in an out of battle if not defeated swiftly, to be replaced with other types as if every possible timeline within this world shifts rapidly. Objects will disappear and transform rapidly, ever-changing the environment around you—all of which is generated in response to the Ageorbs you chose to activate this world with. Did one of your Ageorbs lead you to a fiery holocaustic Hyrule with the destruction of Death Mountain immolating the skies and green of the world? Expect fire to cast a brooding effect on the world, if only in the blink of an eye. Did one of the Ageorbs cast you into a Zora-ruled Hyrule, with artificial sluices constructed and carved into the archi-geography of the land for quick transportation? Expect such derivative elements to be found here, only turned against you. Everything you got to enjoy about your constructed tenth age Hyrule is now against you, and in constant transformation. The illusion of time and space is being bent even further to crush you as your perception does not belong in this world. You are a virus to its paradigm. It does not want you.

This world is the antagonist and destruction of its heart is the key to saving Hyrule from its inevitable corrosion... Upon doing so, you return through the door for the very last time. The doors close and the Ageorbs dim, exhausting their light. The energy fueling the door has finally come to an end. The tear in time has been healed and all that was chosen to converge breathes new life into the fabled land of Hyrule, all under your command. Every era of Hyrule's history has converged into the Tenth Age; the branched timeline ends, and with the last breath of the door, Zelda dies. This is The Legend of Zelda.
CHARACTERS / PLACES Link, the Hero of Time — The protagonist. In transcending time, will create a new land.
Alda, Voice of the Door (Zelda) — The last sage. Zelda adopts the moniker Alda to sheath her identity in a land of convoluted mythos.
Ganon — An ancient spirit bound to a lantern.
Hyrule — The fabled land. Hyrule suffers from endless ruin.
Hyruin — Antithetic Hyrule, the antagonist. Evolves as Hyrule corrodes. Link's attempt to reform Hyrule damages Hyruin's stability. This prompts his foray into the heart of the netherland.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
*sniffs*
That was beutiful man
Alright I can totally do a platformer.
I will post a demo soon. Maybe tomorrow.
Also such amazing music. Very futuristic zelda.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Glad you like it!

The gameplay should derive from Link's gameplay in Smash Bros. Seeing as how we're a Smash Bros. forum, I think it'd make since for our Zelda game to take a leaf from Smash. Consider this a Link-only SSB adventure game. Use Brawl's adventure mode (or better yet, use Melee's Triforce dungeon chapter of its adventure mode) as gameplay inspiration. I will ultimately work with you to design the sprites and graphics of the game (hand-drawn look a la Muramasa and Odin Sphere's approach, but not style). Action absolutely cannot dominate puzzle-solving. We must have an equal blend of the two, for Zelda is and always has been both.

Edit: I suppose this'll be a Metroidvania style game. If I wasn't studying for an exam tomorrow, I'd whip up some design drafts for how the world will function. I'll get to it soon though, possibly tomorrow.

Man, I can already see all the 3D Zelda tropes translating into a 2D environment. Obtaining an item, Link still raises it above his head, floating in his hand—but in 2D, from a side perspective. A text window appears on screen with a larger image of the item, detailing its use. "Press A to close window". Stuff like that, I'm very eager to see transition to 2D.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Alrighty. Working on making platforms that can be jumped through bottom but land on top.
I've always had trouble with this But I should figure it out.
Also being able to stand on moving platforms. Hmmm.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I can imagine the fighting already. Smash-like, but much heavier. Health vs. Damage Percentage. As we agreed upon in this project's early development, Link will be much more agile, though no jump button. We need Link to climb and leap. In terms of gameplay, we need to transcribe as much 3D Zelda into a 2D format as possible. Smash-like, but no jumping. Leaping over gaps, yes. That'll add to the exploration and challenge thereof. Ladders, vines, the like: all classic Zelda climbing devices will be used. Link's performance must be natural, fluid, and believable. A lot of animation, which I will be drawing come time. Blocks and ledges will see Link running up and over a la Skyward Sword's stamina system (which I suggest we implement). Etcetera. More brainstorming to come, but for now I need to focus and study goddamnit.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I can do a stamina system no prob. But no jumping? That makes my life easier but will it be any fun? I modeled the gameplay after Zelda II. And I think I did a pretty good job duplicating it. You seem set on making it smash bros. like but you contradict it by removing jumping and adding a stamina meter? Hrmmm so hard to please. I'm typing this up via my neighbors Wii on a bad connection so im gonna finish this message before I get disconnected. Its wierd we're never online at the same time.

Spire

III
BRoomer
With clever and invigorating platforming, that which feels like real exploration—the lack of a jump button could actually be an asset. Rather than jumping, we'll have rolling, dodging, and sprinting. Those will be the functions of the "A" button instead.

I'm worried about a C&D letter from the Big N if we push this project far enough. At the same time, there are bountiful Zelda fan games out there most of which are made using Zelda Classic. None of those have been shut down.

etecoon

Smash Hero
that's something I would expect from square or capcom, I highly doubt it would happen. whatever disagreement I've had with nintendo's direction as of late, the one thing I can still credit them with is not actively displaying contempt for their fans like those companies do

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm wondering then if it would be to our benefit to make this an original game. Take the concepts and adjust them to our own lore. By making fan art, we are essentially doing someone else's work.

At the same time, it's enjoyable to work within parameters. I guess I've just reached the parameter and would like to push further.

And at the same time, this project's concepts are so intrinsically Zelda that it'd be a shame not to depict the series in such fashion.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Zelda Classic projects have been attacked by Ninty before, but not sued, haha.

It's a fun concept. I could also program for this, I know my gamemaker ****.

Top Bottom