• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legacy of MELEE-FC - Smash 64 Side Event Discussion

kys

Smash Ace
I'm very sorry. We set out to entertain you, after all, and your disapproval hurts us to the core.

Galaxy-dwellers. Eesh. At least some melee players understand how competitions work.
I'm very sorry that my casual comment garnered such a heavily sarcastic response. *Insert Han Solo quote from Empire Strikes Back*

I would personally rather have fun than win at a tourney. The money isn't nearly enough to go tryhard and get stressed out from my point of view.

I understand why you would go with high tiers, but FOR ME (the key here), I'm disappointed.

So let me be disappointed and have my views, and you can win your tournaments and your money. No reason for everyone to get their panties all bundled up. Smashboards-dwellers. Eesh.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
I would personally rather have fun than win at a tourney. The money isn't nearly enough to go tryhard and get stressed out from my point of view, I'm disappointed.
THANK-YOU

i think the only entertaining players to play there were moogle, OF COURSE PEKKLE, han solo, and myself; dead honest. the rest of the players almost NEVER approached or were obvious scrubs even during "UNfriendlies"...except at the very end of the tourney when Rumbly i played link dittos, that was awesome.

fun tournament(moogle/pekkle/han) aside from refusal of approach(everyone else)...

QQ :mad: :c

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Lol it's your own fault if you get stressed out by trying, dont blame us (people who try to win).

Don't forget "having fun" or "being entertained" is subjective, and we get our fun from trying to get as good as we can. The reason this actually becomes a problem is the middle ground for becoming "good" (top level play) can involve a boring play style to watch.

The only bad thing is that people cannot understand both of these styles can exist at the same time without having to be condescending to each other.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Me & Yeroc were the realest of players at this tourney. You gotta admit that, KnitePhox.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm very sorry that my casual comment garnered such a heavily sarcastic response. *Insert Han Solo quote from Empire Strikes Back*

I would personally rather have fun than win at a tourney. The money isn't nearly enough to go tryhard and get stressed out from my point of view.

I understand why you would go with high tiers, but FOR ME (the key here), I'm disappointed.

So let me be disappointed and have my views, and you can win your tournaments and your money. No reason for everyone to get their panties all bundled up. Smashboards-dwellers. Eesh.
You said you were disappointed like it was somehow my job to entertain you. If you can only have fun by playing badly, that's fine, and yes, we can coexist and both do our thing. Be disappointed in yourself when you edgeguard successfully, don't be disappointed in me when I win.

Knitephox man I really can't hold anything against you ;). I will treasure the memories of you half-smiling as you awkwardly look at the ground and mumble about cheese forever.

<3 knitephox

Sangoku

Smash Master
Man that was so boring, I'm really disappointed... Were you trying to prove a point by camping so much?

JK I haven't even watched the vids. Let's have a Sheer vs Surri battle now.

I watched the Mango set though. Was the girl the same as the Apex 2037 after-party one? The one running to Pete.

The Star King

Smash Hero
My 2 cents on this is always the same, but... to each his own. People playing for fun shouldn't ***** about people playing to win, and people playing to win shouldn't make fun of people playing for fun.

Galaxy-dwellers. Eesh. At least some melee players understand how competitions work.
You've always said how online players possess superior skill, but now they don't understand how competitions work? Are you the only perfect combination of fake smasher and console player? lol jk :smirk:

B Link

Smash Lord
Congrats to battlecow for winning and moogle for coming back to ssb and still getting second. I'll try and watch the entire set sometime.

kys

Smash Ace
I typed a response but it got deleted....oh well.

Bcow how much did you take in?

I lol'd at that first teams match with the whole shine-jab conversation. That was a nice comeback too.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
I typed a response but it got deleted....oh well.

Bcow how much did you take in?

I lol'd at that first teams match with the whole shine-jab conversation. That was a nice comeback too.
Battlecow made $250 total. And I didn't realize how big a comeback it was until I watched it afterwards. Rumbly and I were just playing like we always were.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
so if i play link and not kirby, im playing for fun, right

and even if i camp the **** out of my opponent, that's still kosher because link is so bad, right

coolio

battlecow you're boring to watch not because you like to space, but because you have almost no tech skill, are unable to perform anything other than the most basic 2 hit combos, and never change anything up

you beat moogle because he wasnt really able to deal with bair camping. totally got outplayed the whole set

M!nt

Smash Champion
I really don't care if someone plays to win and does that even in a friendly. I just hate when people feel they have to do that 24/7 in games even when the opponent doesn't even play the game just to win. I mean does beating a melee player make you feel that good? It just makes everyone watching think the game is **** and not fun. Totally not hating battlecow, well maybe a little lol

cutepekkle

Smash Rookie
o_O

For me it was the opposite, seeing how complex and deep this game was is what got me into it.
It's true... it seems boring/simple at first glance, but this game is so super old yet so well made. There is always something new to learn and seemingly small but intricate details that make such a huge difference. I think this tourney has awoken this part of me that I forgot existed -_-

Battlecow

Play to Win
I really don't care if someone plays to win and does that even in a friendly. I just hate when people feel they have to do that 24/7 in games even when the opponent doesn't even play the game just to win. I mean does beating a melee player make you feel that good? It just makes everyone watching think the game is **** and not fun. Totally not hating battlecow, well maybe a little lol
I should've played cooler vs. mango. I was just really afraid that he would mango out and become super good randomly throughout the first game, and the second game I only really hit him five times and never in the right position for one of the ~4 semi-cool combos I know. IDK. falcon dittos are silly.

Also maybe if you played to win a little bit you wouldn't be utter **** at this game and then you could have fun even if you weren't jumping up and down and falcon punching

not hating

maybe just a little

Battlecow

Play to Win
You are incorrect

I am defending my playstyle

If I went after you for playing aggressively apropos of nothing, then I would be as bad

he dint want none he shouldna start none

The Star King

Smash Hero
Defending your playstyle? In the second parapgraph, it sounded more like you were attacking his.

and lol, so "he started it"

Even if that justifies an equivalent response, you went beyond that. You think saying that he could only have fun "jumping up and down and falcon punching" and that he's "utter **** at this game" is the right response to him thinking people shouldn't play to win 24/7? Especially after you agreed with him?

Battlecow

Play to Win
Thank you your honor

And yeah, he hated a little bit so I hated a little bit. Not my fault if there's more to hate on his end

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Defending your playstyle? In the second parapgraph, it sounded more like you were attacking his.

and lol, so "he started it"

Even if that justifies an equivalent response, you went beyond that. You think saying that he could only have fun "jumping up and down and falcon punching" and that he's "utter **** at this game" is the right response to him thinking people shouldn't play to win 24/7? Especially after you agreed with him?
Wintergreen said rather condescending things as well. They may have not been so direct as Battlecows, but this was pretty equal IMO. Calling someone a bad player = to someone saying your style is ****ty. Both target the fundamentals we enjoy in the game.

Besides, Wintergreen likes to instigate. It's his own fault lol.

i think it's pretty clear that battlecow was bullied when he was a kid and hasnt really gotten over it

Says the guy who only comes here to troll even though 99% of people literally ignore you xP

"see me, im right here...HELLO PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!!!! D:"

M!nt

Smash Champion
hi surri

Was I condescending? I wasn't trying to be sorry, i was just saying how I wished he would have did some cool tricks and show'd off in front of the melee crew. I don't know why you're being such a jerk battlecow I never said you were bad and you're just all out insulting me, but whatever I don't really care lol :3c

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
hi surri

Was I condescending? I wasn't trying to be sorry, i was just saying how I wished he would have did some cool tricks and show'd off in front of the melee crew. I don't know why you're being such a jerk battlecow I never said you were bad and you're just all out insulting me, but whatever I don't really care lol :3c
As i see it you called him boring, he called you bad, both are pretty unneeded comments, but simply opinions none the less.

It's probably be best to just drop this subject as im sure everyone is aware there's no good path it can take from this point on. Unless you both apologize to each other lol... GL

kys

Smash Ace
I should've played cooler vs. mango. I was just really afraid that he would mango out and become super good randomly throughout the first game, and the second game I only really hit him five times and never in the right position for one of the ~4 semi-cool combos I know. IDK. falcon dittos are silly.
I was thinking the same thing. What if you would have lost? The 64 champ loses to a guy who has barely played the game at all? That would have been embarrassing.

I'm not sure how much flash the melee guys would have really noticed anyway tbh. You gotta rep the 64 community and just take the win, lol.

hi surri

oh hey, exactly the kind of thing i was talking about concerning noobies and the 64 scene :yeahboi:

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Srs face must win at all costs....at 64, which has a significantly smaller scene AND subsequently pot prizes

Don't understand the logic, wouldn't it be better to play brawl or some non smash game with a bigger scene and that mentality as to simultaneouy get more money and respect from an entire community with your same viewpoint????

SPECIFICALLY REGARDING SMASH 64, FLASH(cool/more respectable/better)>'PLAYING SOLELY TO WIN'(gey/terrible/sucks/BAD FOR THE COMMUNITY)

StrongBad for BEST TEAM STRATEGY OF ALL OF FC.

:phone:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
so is this just the thread where bcow makes crazy knee jerk reactions to posts, all in the effort to give AA ample material for his next comic?

Top Bottom