• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legacy of MELEE-FC - Smash 64 Side Event Discussion

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Srs face must win at all costs....at 64, which has a significantly smaller scene AND subsequently pot prizes

Don't understand the logic, wouldn't it be better to play brawl or some non smash game with a bigger scene and that mentality as to simultaneouy get more money and respect from an entire community with your same viewpoint????

SPECIFICALLY REGARDING SMASH 64, FLASH(cool/more respectable/better)>'PLAYING SOLELY TO WIN'(gey/terrible/sucks/BAD FOR THE COMMUNITY)
:phone:
Lol you seem to be unable to understand opinions :(

I enjoy playing smash64, and i enjoy plying it to win, sux 4 u :o

Froski

Boss of Bosses
Honestly I hate camping because it works against impatient players like myself. I play on mostly reaction in aggressive matches, but in matches where pikachu is in the tent, roasting marsh mellows, I tend get annoyed at how tempo of the match is slowed dramatically. I get too much time to think, then I think too much, start day dreaming while I'm batting the air, lose focus, then rush in and get magnet grabbed without thinking rationally.

Nevertheless the main objective is to win regardless if someone plays for "FUN". It is mainly an excuse. I mean seriously, if you're going to join a tournament, play to win it! If you hate people who play to win and they use whatever is needed regardless if it's friendlies, don't-play-them, find some other player. Or if you despise campy videos, dont-watch-it. Furthermore, don't gripe and moan about it. Go watch some MTV bull**** on TV or something. Not every video is gonna have all the flashy combos, tech skills and matches under 4 minutes.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Honestly I hate camping because it works against impatient players like myself. I play on mostly reaction in aggressive matches, but in matches where pikachu is in the tent, roasting marsh mellows, I tend get annoyed at how tempo of the match is slowed dramatically. I get too much time to think, then I think too much, start day dreaming while I'm batting the air, lose focus, then rush in and get magnet grabbed without thinking rationally.

Nevertheless the main objective is to win regardless if someone plays for "FUN". It is mainly an excuse. I mean seriously, if you're going to join a tournament, play to win it! If you hate people who play to win and they use whatever is needed regardless if it's friendlies, don't-play-them, find some other player. Or if you despise campy videos, dont-watch-it. Furthermore, don't gripe and moan about it. Go watch some MTV bull**** on TV or something. Not every video is gonna have all the flashy combos, tech skills and matches under 4 minutes.

For me it's not even so much about the winning in tourneys or what not. Some people just can't fathom that others maybe having fun in a different way then them.

Froski

Boss of Bosses
For me it's not even so much about the winning in tourneys or what not. Some people just can't fathom that others maybe having fun in a different way then them.
You said you played to win though didn't you?

But I understand though.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
dude smash 64 is, was, and never will be about the winning. It has always been, and will continue to be, who can do the most creative stuff that still works and being stoked that it worked.

Froski

Boss of Bosses
Its only your opinion though.

Some will agree with you.

Some will disagree.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
its just way too hard to act seriously with a game this fun, but yeah, some people like their pickles peppered i spose

Battlecow

Play to Win
Dude if everyone had your attitude we'd still be playing on MK with items on very high

I don't resent the fact that you're intentionally bad at this game. I just wish you'd let me be good at it in peace.

I should stop getting drawn into these things lol

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
well i guess my point is that fun>winning by such a fat margin; thats not to saying winning isn't the goal, as that obviously IS the goal of playing a match. its just so incomparably better to play luigi and have fun and do stuff like pivot dtilt-fthrow against wall-tech chase regrab-edgeguard than it is sh dair falling uair-uair 50+ uB.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
MK items very high is a fun and challenging style of play

battlecow is just a bad person, don't let him discourage you

sorry, objectively bad*

prisonchild

Smash Ace
*this is talking about me, personally*

I have a boring enough time playing somebody who camps and stalls, there's no way i would ever force myself to camp and then convince myself that it's in the name of winning.

i think it's somewhat of a relative scale from going for fancy combos with little chance of landing them to playing all out defense and not approaching. the key is finding a good balance where you enjoy yourself and stay competitive.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
*this is talking about me, personally*

I have a boring enough time playing somebody who camps and stalls, there's no way i would ever force myself to camp and then convince myself that it's in the name of winning.

i think it's somewhat of a relative scale from going for fancy combos with little chance of landing them to playing all out defense and not approaching. the key is finding a good balance where you enjoy yourself and stay competitive.
The key is simply enjoying the game, you've made it far too complicated.

Just suppose said enjoyment comes from pushing your own abilities more and more...regardless to what aesthetics others require. We take the path we enjoy, as do you...and as should everyone who plays.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
It never fails to amaze how comments like "I prefer having fun over winning because it's not worth it to get stressed out" can inspire responses like "don't blame us pros for you getting stressed out when you try to win!" Do you not know what an opinion is?

And yes, Surri, this part is directed at you: No one ever said anything about blaming players who play to win for anything. It's just a comment about how certain people feel about things, i.e., would rather not play to win. Nothing more to it. You have some kind of persecution complex if you think anyone was saying anything was your fault.

Froski

Boss of Bosses
The key is simply enjoying the game, you've made it far too complicated.

Just suppose said enjoyment comes from pushing your own abilities more and more...regardless to what aesthetics others require. We take the path we enjoy, as do you...and as should everyone who plays.
I don't agree surri. Having fun should be prefered over winning.
I don't see how.

It made a great deal of sense to me. I really don't see the part where
he says playing to win is better.

And yes, Surri, this part is directed at you: No one ever said anything about blaming players who play to win for anything. It's just a comment about how certain people feel about things, i.e., would rather not play to win. Nothing more to it. You have some kind of persecution complex if you think anyone was saying anything was your fault.
He wasn't blaming anyone, he was simply defending his case.

No comment about the rest of this post...

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
The goal of the game is to win, that's what you play for. Some people take it more seriously than others. Some people like to win in fashion, some people don't. Doesn't require a debate, really.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
No matter who I'm playing and no matter what playstyle they have, I will always have fun playing with my Fox. Battlecow has gimped me with Pikachu on Dreamland hundreds of times, and I always come back for more.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
the key is battlecow is an awful guy

maybe more awful than myself. maybe. actually no he's a little above me.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Thanks for the support Froski lol.

I have very poor grammar so I'll take the blame if a misunderstanding occurred. But Never once did i say playing to win is more important then having fun. I'm saying, playing to win is how I, and at least a few others, truly have fun and enjoy this game the most we can.

This is a subjective opinion and im not saying it's better then anyone else's, I'm just trying to stop people from bashing others for having a different opinion. That's all.

Frogles

Smash Ace
I really don't care if someone plays to win and does that even in a friendly. I just hate when people feel they have to do that 24/7 in games even when the opponent doesn't even play the game just to win. I mean does beating a melee player make you feel that good? It just makes everyone watching think the game is **** and not fun. Totally not hating battlecow, well maybe a little lol
no it lets them know that you can't just pick up a controller and beat the mutha ****in CHAMP. props to battlecow for beating the **** out of mango. it would have looked bad in more ways than one if he had lost, even in a random match like falcon vs falcon. there are times when you have to play to win, and this was one of them.

Froski

Boss of Bosses
Just how every other topic is talked about for weeks

@Sangoku If you call that trolling, you shouldn't attempt it again.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
@Sangoku If you call that trolling, you shouldn't attempt it again.
Lol naw It's been a thing between me and the Euros to troll each other endlessly for lulz, so he just threw my point directly back in my face...i laughed :p

Most of it goes down on the MSN Euro chat!! Haven't been at it much recently though :O

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
no it lets them know that you can't just pick up a controller and beat the mutha ****in CHAMP. props to battlecow for beating the **** out of mango.
You're saying that off the assumption that mango thought he would win? Or that any Melee players think that? Jesus.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I don't think that was the point.

More so that the game is technically complex and different, not something you can just pick up and do well at because you are good at the other smash games.

Again, factors that would make me personally want to play this game.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You're saying that off the assumption that mango thought he would win? Or that any Melee players think that? Jesus.
Mango did think he would win. He told me. He was serious.

I said so earlier, Frogles wasn't assuming, he was just believing me.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Mango did think he would win. He told me. He was serious.

I said so earlier, Frogles wasn't assuming, he was just believing me.
Oh. Well then, that's pretty obnoxious. I knew mango was arrogant, but that...

Of course, it was Falcon dittos, so he could have won :troll:

Top Bottom